• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom's lead graphics programmer thinks 4K isn't a good use of Xbox Scorpio's power

timlot

Banned
Why not 1080p and 4K. It would be nice to push it to the limit. I'd like to see that.

There is no reason why MS shouldn't push 4K. AMD and Nvidia are pushing 4K/VR. Its where graphic technology is going and getting cheaper. If the idea is that you can use the power at 1080p and do more why not drop to 720p and do even more? That argument doesn't hold water to me. These chips are adding more transistors and the fabrication is getting smaller. Developers need to continue to push the envelope or there will never be a need for gpu/cpu to get better. It just seems like a lot of folks don't want to upgrade their tvs.

Why not 4k res and 144fps like on pc soon... Oh nevermind :)

While we will get screens capable of 4K 144Hz in a near future, it's going to require ridiculous power to actually take advantage of that. We still don't have cards capable of 4K at 60 fps. Unless you dial down the settings quite a bit.

CryptiK

Of course it isn't games are going to look shit running at 4K. PC's currently are pretty expensive to get running at 4K at a decent frame rate. Running at game at all low and throwing 4K at it isn't going to make it look good.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Hmmm... If the specs that we have for neo are final, things would get real "interesting" if MS tries to push devs to do 4k as much as they can, while Sony advised devs to stick to 1080p but add bells and whistles that are absent from the 4k version. And by interesting, I mean I will not be looking forward to the console wars and comparison topics.

I reckon it's basically a dream scenario for digital foundry though, LOL.

Where did Sony advise developers to stick to 1080p? This is a quote for the Giant Bomb article.

"In the documents we’ve received, Sony offers suggestions for reaching 4K/UltraHD resolutions for NEO mode game builds, but they're also giving developers a degree of freedom with how to approach this."

And Eurogamer's article said this.

"Well, according to Sony's own documents, there is a focus on delivering 4K gaming content, though upscaling to UHD resolution is likely."

Seems to me like Sony is promoting 4K for gaming based on those articles.

ShutterMunster

This GPU in the Scorpio, how does it compare to what's out there on PC now?

I think many console gamers are looking for frame rate, shadow quality and IQ boosts. I don't want the same graphical fidelity in 4K/HDR. It's not the visual improvement I'm looking for.

zoukka

No shit. Anyone with half a brain knows that 4k is still a dumb target for any game that wants to have playable perfromance.

Vipu

Banned
While we will get screens capable of 4K 144Hz in a near future, it's going to require ridiculous power to actually take advantage of that. We still don't have cards capable of 4K at 60 fps. Unless you dial down the settings quite a bit.

Maybe not most demanding games but some games for sure.

00ich

Here's the twitter chain: https://twitter.com/SebAaltonen/status/744184184571367425

His statement on 4K (he's the guy in the red box):

doom1huqbr.png

He retweeted this as well:

doom205om0.png

The guys in the conversation are not against 4k, they just agree that a 4k picture can be rendered smarter and less resource intensive than rendering everything in every game in 3840x2160. Similar to Blu rays in 4k the detail drops when objects are in motion and don't appear sharp anyway.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
The guys in the conversation are not against 4k, they just agree that a 4k picture can be rendered smarter and less resource intensive than rendering everything in every game in 3840x2160. Similar to Blu rays in 4k the detail drops when objects are in motion and don't appear sharp anyway.

That's a good catch and exactly what I've been anticipating will happen.

EvB

Or in the way that Quantum Break renders

thelastword

Banned
No one is forcing you to do 4k Sousa, I'm sure 1080p 60fps will be fine, but dang! you guys are already doing that on these consoles, so what would ID really push at 1080 with the new GPU's on these iterative consoles, many of their effects and their AA solution was pretty solid already... If there was one complaint about DOOM is that it could look sharper, GUESS WHAT! a higher resolution and a less blur inducing AA method fixes that due to the extra GPU power and you will still have enough left over to dial up your current effects and LOD to level 3..

I'm pretty sure an in-between rez that scales nicely to 4k would be good too. You don't have to go native for these GPU's.

4K is the new catchy hotness with TVs. Whether or not Neo and Scorpio strive for 4K, I get why marketing and the message is 4K 4K 4K 4K. But I agree when working on a fixed platform, there are better uses for those resources.

Trojan

He's right in my book. I think 4K is overkill, at least native 4K. There's so much potential we could unlock in games with that extra power at existing resolutions. Making the jump to 4K at this early stage is going to create frame-rate deja vu. We will be stuck in a 4K, sub 30 world. It's too early to make the leap to 4K full sale.

butman

Why skip 1080p/60fps gaming on consoles? It's the best combo in console gaming. Who cares about 4K?

Now it's like the jump will be from 1080p/30fps to 4K/30fps? Why?

Cuburt

Seems the the most sensible approach to take with iterative consoles, but the hardware needs to have a hook and it's easy to sell gamers with 4k like it's a gimmick they need.

Luckily gamers care a little more about performance and frame rate these days than they did in the early PS3/360 days where people were much more willing to sacrifice performance for graphics, but as long as the industry and gamers keep pushing "power" and "graphics" as the only things that matter, resources won't be allocated into other areas.

Fotos

Imagining Halo 6 1080p 60fps with great texture and detail makes me excited. Playing Halo 5 is jarring sometimes when looking at how bad some of the textures are or how low detail things are.

Haemi

They are right for consoles. And the thing with MSAA is a great idea.

PCs on the other hand 4k is no waste because of the display distance.

And everyone who says "i want 60 fps instead of 4k", it's not always possible. 4k needs only more GPU power. 60fps needs more GPU and CPU power. CPU needs to be two times faster to calculate everything in half the time.

Imagining Halo 6 1080p 60fps with great texture and detail makes me excited. Playing Halo 5 is jarring sometimes when looking at how bad some of the textures are or how low detail things are.
Split screen too. I need the cannon fodder guest accounts back in the battlefield.

Arulan

Even PC gamers with ~6TF GPUs aren't aiming for 4K, and it's not because they can't afford a 4K display. Most still consider 1440p the sweet-spot, and that's even with significantly more powerful hardware than Scorpio.

Assuming I, the user, was able to manage how the 6TF in performance was used, I would most certainly aim for a consistent 60 fps first-most, and then improve visual settings, anti-aliasing, and possibly down-sampling from near 1440p depending on the game.

artsi

For me 1080p is "good enough" personally when I game on my TV, so I'd rather take 60fps / good base graphics.

Journey

Banned
We don't need a lead programmer to figure this out. Xbox One had to settle for 720p/900p and barealy 30fps for graphically intense games, now it can do 1080p and 60fps with even more detail... it will be God-like when using it's full potential at 1080p, forget 4K, that would be a waste of resources. Now of course we won't mind a few games like Ori and the Blind Forest at 4K, that would definitely be sweet!!!

Skux

It seems like they're pushing for 4k just so they can have a bullet point on the box. Meanwhile only a tiny percentage of gamers have a 4k monitor or TV.

jelly

But Phil taps 343 and Turn 10 on the shoulders, 4K native would great, for the box tick, you know, so get on that......but Halo and Forza Horizon at 1080p, it would be glorious.....no 4K native, it's what we built it for and PR!

KingBroly

Banned
I'm betting Scorpio will have Halo 6 launching alongside it, and it'll have 1080p/60fps and 4-player splitscreen on Scorpio

00ich

But Phil taps 343 and Turn 10 on the shoulders, 4K native would great, for the box tick, you know, so get on that......but Halo and Forza Horizon at 1080p, it would be glorious.....no 4K native, it's what we built it for and PR!
What is discussed in the tweets would still tick the 4k box.

otakukidd

It stuck out to me that Andrew House didn't use 4K as a selling point in his last statement about the Neo, but instead said that games will "play an awful lot prettier."

It's possible he just didn't want to unveil a marketing pitch early, but that might have also been the feedback they got from developers once they got their hands on the hardware.

One thing worth considering about sticking with 1080p is that 4K is exactly four times as many pixels, so the scaling is much, much cleaner than going from 720p -> 1080p or some other uneven multiple. I suspect that's why the TV industry jumped on this resolution as well, since they knew most of the content would be 1080p, but wanted it to still look clean and good on new sets.

I don't see them using 4k as a selling point if a majority of the games arent 4k. That's what I find weird about xbox pushing 4k so much then saying it's not a requirement. If it's not a requirement then most devs won't push for it cause it would waste a lot of power. It would be kinda a bait and switch if there are only a handful of 4k games and the Scorpio is supposed to be the first true 4k console.

Instro

Well it makes more sense to push the mid-gen consoles to high/ultra PC settings at 1080p, maybe with higher frame rate, rather than chase 4k with minimal visual improvement. Scorpio simply doesn't have the grunt to make 4k feasible for most games anyway.

Banned
Love this. Use it for 1080p60 with better AA and visual effects and better AI. Even on PC I don't do 4k.

DesertFox

Love this. Use it for 1080p60 with better AA and visual effects and better AI. Even on PC I don't do 4k.
Yes this please.

Also problematic for Microsoft is marketing 4K. If the game's graphics look the same but running at 4K resolution rather than 900p, how do you market that to people to get them to buy in? Run a commercial that they're viewing on their 1080p television?

Waste of resources. Put the horsepower to use to make the games look gorgeous at 1080p/60fps.

Kacho

Well it makes more sense to push the mid-gen consoles to high/ultra PC settings at 1080p, maybe with higher frame rate, rather than chase 4k with minimal visual improvement. Scorpio simply doesn't have the grunt to make 4k feasible for most games anyway.

This is lost on so many Xbox fans and it drives me nuts. We're still a few years off before we're ready for 4K gaming. Especially on consoles. The resolution bump just isn't worth it when you consider the sacrifices that'll need to be made for it.

Vaga

4k will be just another MS marketing downfall just like Kinect, DRM and all that shit. Hopefully Sony doesn't follow in MS's footsteps and instead focuses on 1080p@60.

if you don't understand the difference between supersampling and downsampling, you can spend a lot of time arguing about semantics

if you want 1080p with SSAA or 4K without SSAA you're basically on the same side of the argument

framerate is nice, but not necessary viable if existing consoles need to play all the games

Izuna

Banned
4k will be just another MS marketing downfall just like Kinect, DRM and all that shit. Hopefully Sony doesn't follow in MS's footsteps and instead focuses on 1080p@60.

You gotta be joking. We are in a market where people are buying 4K TVs even though there is no content.

Top Bottom