• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ford Motors shamelessly steals official art from Firewatch

Ford dealership general manager: "I saw an ad for some game called Fire-something-or-other. Make our ad look like that."
Designer: makes something similar
Manager: "No, that's not close enough"
Designer: makes it a little more similar
Manager: "Getting closer"
Designer: copy/paste original image and rolls eyes
Manager: "Perfect!"

memoryswap

Neo Member
It's so lame. Then again, game devs as a group are legendary for wholesale theft of imagery. Fans should call that out as well instead of passing it off as 'homage'.

At a graphic design firm? No, that's grounds for immediate termination. Plagiarism is no joke for any firm who takes themselves even remotely seriously.

You are talking about an all purpose firm that runs on the basis of how much they like their employees. That's if it's a firm and not based on the crm doing it themselves, which they certainly won't care.

MilkBeard

It's so lame. Then again, game devs as a group are legendary for wholesale theft of imagery. Fans should call that out as well instead of passing it off as 'homage'.

How so? Please provide examples. And no, inspiration is not theft. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are the Uncharted picture thing, and the image of a girl that was in...I think...mass effect? Or some other Bioware game. Those were called out. There are also some shitty mobile knock-off games that rip off other games designs, but those aren't even worth mentioning.

zethren

Banned
Ford dealership general manager: "I saw an ad for some game called Fire-something-or-other. Make our ad look like that."

As someone who has friends in design, and works with a team of artists daily, you would be shocked at how close you are with that. It's astonishing.

memoryswap

Neo Member
How so? Please provide examples. And no, inspiration is not theft. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are the Uncharted picture thing, and the image of a girl that was in...I think...mass effect? Or some other Bioware game. Those were called out. There are also some shitty mobile knock-off games that rip off other games designs, but those aren't even worth mentioning.

Stuff like this is super common in games. The image is of course reconstructed and content is different but conceptually, it's a 1:1 copy. It's reprehensible.

hitman_2_silent_assassin_136936.jpg

Assassin_039_s_Creed_aa0a1_250x250.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN8HEzWNG1Y

This is a video posted by the Ford company. Pretty sure it's using the artwork as well, and this isn't just at a local level, unless i'm mistaken.

yeah, no.

This looks way too close or exactly the same, and someone in ad agency will be fired.

Not even really close.

Cl-qGLSUoAAemVW.jpg

and

FordAd.png

If this was all done by the same people, then this commercial coupled with the outright lifting of artwork is highly suspect.

Doubt its the same company either, one is Ford national, the other is likely localized.

SOR5

element

This is a local dealership issue with a graphic artist (if you could call them that) trying to match a national campaign without any of the assets or talent to generate it themselves.

This type of stuff happens all the time.

Stuff like this is super common in games. The image is of course reconstructed and content is different but conceptually, it's a 1:1 copy. It's reprehensible.

hitman_2_silent_assassin_136936.jpg

Assassin_039_s_Creed_aa0a1_250x250.png

Different fonts, different logos, different alignment. Same colors, but hardly plagiarism. I see the similarities, but I don't think there's anything wrong with this example. It's certainly not reprehensible, but then again when have gamers been ones to blow things out of proportion?

element

This 100%. As someone who does occasional print work for local dealerships (often on a shoe-string budget), you have to rely on stock photos/art to get things done. Naturally it's up to the local dealership to maker sure that their adverts and art are ACTUALLY in the clear, but I don't find their initial response of "we got it from this wallpaper website and thought we were OK" inconceivable or even surprising TBH.
If anything it just shows the lack of knowledge of having to deal with print. That website doesn't sell images, it is just a hack image gallery website making money off google ads. The reason they have a DMCA form is because they don't know or care what is uploaded.

The person who probably put the ad together probably has no knowledge or understanding of stock photo or image rights and is only concerned about the deadline, which knowing some of these places might have been a couple hours.

Hopefully this will just have the dealership open an account from some stock photo provider so they can have correct print and digital rights.

Also the title of this thread should really be updated to "Local Car Dealership". Ford had nothing to do with this. No reason to promote some crazy conspiracy of Ford Motors stealing anyones work.

It's important to note this isn't Ford motor company but a local dealership that probably hired a local ad company that probably plagarizes all their art because they are terrible. This kind of thing happens all the time at local businesses all over.

tmarg

It's important to note this isn't Ford motor company but a local dealership that probably hired a local ad company that probably plagarizes all their art because they are terrible. This kind of thing happens all the time at local businesses all over.

Yeah, title should really be changed. It appears this has fuck all to do with the actual Ford company.

Metfanant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN8HEzWNG1Y

This is a video posted by the Ford company. Pretty sure it's using the artwork as well, and this isn't just at a local level, unless i'm mistaken.

Not even really close.

Cl-qGLSUoAAemVW.jpg

and

FordAd.png

Doubt its the same company either, one is Ford national, the other is likely localized.

The video, and the ad for the Ford Explorer are different...similar theme, but quite different...

The original image from the local dealership is a straight rip-off

So gross. Olly Moss and Campo Santo deserve more respect than this. I almost can't believe anyone thought they could get away with this. It's so disgustingly blatant.

Hope the proper artists get proper compensation for this BS.

I read that it appeared on a free wallpaper site and they may have got it from that. Speculating but maybe someone stole the art and posted to the website, where Ford saw and grabbed.

Can't wait for the update!

element

I read that it appeared on a free wallpaper site and they may have got it from that. Speculating but maybe someone stole the art and posted to the website, where Ford saw and grabbed.

That is exactly the story. The dealership downloaded the image from a wallpaper gallery that allows user uploads. So there is no vetting process on the license or ownership of the image.

They didn't buy the image from a stock image/photo marketplace.

This isn't an honest mistake, just a dumb one.

memoryswap

Neo Member
Different fonts, different logos, different alignment. Same colors, but hardly plagiarism. I see the similarities, but I don't think there's anything wrong with this example. It's certainly not reprehensible, but then again when have gamers been ones to blow things out of proportion?

Imagine you are are teaching a graphic design class and you have two students submit the logos I posted - would you shrug it off as 'not plagiarism'? Come on now...

more "inspired by' stuff:

VG-RP-Top10-Videogame-Characters-Based-On-Celebrities-480p30_480.jpg

1K1csWu.png

Every time a marketing drone gets fired an angel gains its wings

Imagine you are are teaching a graphic design class and you have two students submit the logos I posted - would you shrug it off as 'not plagiarism'? Come on now...

more "inspired by' stuff:

VG-RP-Top10-Videogame-Characters-Based-On-Celebrities-480p30_480.jpg
Ehm russian/slav in an adidas track suit is a trope that existed LONG before gta4, it's because it's such a cliché that gta4 used it

Free-to-use privately and free-to-use commercially are two completely separate things. If they can't verify the latter, they shouldn't be using the image.

memoryswap

Neo Member
Every time a marketing drone gets fired an angel gains its wings

Ehm russian/slav in an adidas track suit is a trope that existed LONG before gta4, it's because it's such a cliché that gta4 used it

I think we both know that the similarity goes way beyond "we both drew on the same trope". Anyway, I'm not going to get into a protracted argument over this. Just making an observation, that's all.

SystemUser

"Idiot junior graphic designer in Marketing who doesn't understand how copyright laws or eyes work steals artwork from Campo Santo."

i mean seriously, what did they think was going to happen?

Sometimes people steal other's work and no one says anything for a decade or two.

M2fnE6Y.jpg

Top Bottom