• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam official app released for Windows mobile devices

Dinjoralo

Aaaand it seems like you can't just use it on windows 10, which would be nice since I could just confirm all my market listings right on my computer.

Aaaand it seems like you can't just use it on windows 10, which would be nice since I could just confirm all my market listings right on my computer.

I'm not surprised. This was a very nice gesture on Valve's part but I'm guessing it's mainly motivated by the need to provide the authenticator for these phones/users. Doesn't make sense to have the authenticator on the same device you are accessing Steam from (i.e. your PC) since it would then no longer be a barrier to anyone who stole/took over your PC.

Speaking of the Authenticator, I really wish you could just use Google's authenticator instead. I hate having to open the Steam app on my phone just for a code, when all my other 2nd factor codes are on the Google app.

Awesome, downloading now!

For those asking for it on PC... having it on the same device you are authenticating on completely defeats the purpose of two-step authentication...

If Valve went to the effort of making a UWP app, I'm surprised they didn't upload the Windows 10 .appx file that should have been generated when they compiled it

Trojan

pigs_fly.jpg

Man, this is like a phone too late for me. I've had two Windows Phones and loved them, but I don't know that I'll go back. I admittedly platform hop, though, and am not going to trade my Xperia Z3 for a phone with no headphone jack.

I wonder what the cross section of people who use Windows Phone and people who shop at Sears is...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Doesn't work on Windows PC's.

So in other words, me using Win2Auth or this is out of the question for Steam's shitty authentication of the marketplace.

Fabulous, Valve.

If Valve went to the effort of making a UWP app, I'm surprised they didn't upload the Windows 10 .appx file that should have been generated when they compiled it

That would break the entire point. You would install it on your Windows 10 PC, and as soon as that PC is stolen/superhacked, your account is busted. Valve is perfectly aware of no one caring about it until it happens and they are suddenly supposed to prevent it, so they explicitly disabled it on PCs.

zer0das

Banned
There are dozen of us! Dozens!

On a serious note, I'm glad they did this. Was getting kind of annoyed at the lack of official support.

Gruso

I was annoyed Windows phone didn't have this and just switched over to Android this month lol
Ha, same. I had many quibbles with my WP phone, but when Steam gave me a trade hold because I couldn't use the mobile authenticator, it was one of the last straws.

No regrets making the jump, although I miss the interface.

Caayn

There are those who said this day would never come. What are they to say now.

Thanks for the heads-up. Only Sony/Playstation is left on list my of app I would want on Windows Mobile.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the heads up, just installed on my 950.

Echoplx

I can't believe Valve went through the effort of creating an app instead of just switching to an open 2FA standard that you can use with an app of your choice.

Top Bottom