• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radeon RX480 Review Thread, Launching Now!

Yay, somebody who didn't have any issues and assumes that it should hold true for everybody else in every region. Good for you.

I checked almost every day for the last month and never saw a 480 4GB or 8GB at a reasonable price. Either they were always sold out or they had a hell of a markup. Meanwhile 2nd week into that month nvidia's answer was in stock practically everywhere I checked.

Great attitude you have there. I especially like how you completely ignore the second comment where I state that I had to order the card from another region.

Or where I tried to offer ideas for the other poster seeing as Amazon ships to their region and as it in stock.

There's an almost 100% markup here in Korea, but I ordered from outside my region. I had no issues doing so, it was just a matter of doing it.

I'm not sure if that's an option for you, but fuck off with your bullshit. Don't be an asshole to people that are trying to help. I now have absolutely no interest in trying to help find a marketplace that may ship to your region.

Edit: I apologize. This was the first thing I read when I woke up this morning.

LegendX48

More 480s are coming in stock and more reviews are popping up on newegg. I thought the excessive pci slot power draw was exclusive to the reference cards but I'm seeing complaints that the Sapphire Nitro+ does it, on top of being hot and noisy >.>

Finally got a 480, in particular a Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB! It was a gift from my brother, which was awesome.

Unfortunately, the fan closest to the I/O side doesn't work properly. It might work sometimes, but tends to not function at all. I've taken it off to see if re-seating it would help and that did nothing. Does anyone have experience with Sapphire customer support? Are they good? Would they give me the run around trying regarding getting a replacement fan?

Otherwise, the card works great. It runs cool when I'm not doing anything because the fans are even running unless it kicks over 52'c, but I can't do much for gaming for the time being.

Blah.

Thinking about getting the RX480 4GB model.

I currently have a:

- CPU: AMD FX 8350
- Memory: 16GB Ram
- Graphics Board: AMD Radeon R7 265

Will the RX280 give me a significant performance boost?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Finally got a 480, in particular a Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB! It was a gift from my brother, which was awesome.

Unfortunately, the fan closest to the I/O side doesn't work properly. It might work sometimes, but tends to not function at all. I've taken it off to see if re-seating it would help and that did nothing. Does anyone have experience with Sapphire customer support? Are they good? Would they give me the run around trying regarding getting a replacement fan?

Otherwise, the card works great. It runs cool when I'm not doing anything because the fans are even running unless it kicks over 52'c, but I can't do much for gaming for the time being.

Blah.

I had them replace a whole card a few years ago no questions. It helped it was the first few weeks on owning it.

ethomaz

Banned
Two months passed and it is fell like the RX 480 launch is a example of how not launch a product after the good hype... the paper launch of 4GB version, the few reference cards available and no AIB.

AMD needs to get better in this departments if they wish to have better results in sales.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Great attitude you have there. I especially like how you completely ignore the second comment where I state that I had to order the card from another region.

Or where I tried to offer ideas for the other poster seeing as Amazon ships to their region and as it in stock.

There's an almost 100% markup here in Korea, but I ordered from outside my region. I had no issues doing so, it was just a matter of doing it.

I'm not sure if that's an option for you, but fuck off with your bullshit. Don't be an asshole to people that are trying to help. I now have absolutely no interest in trying to help find a marketplace that may ship to your region.

Edit: I apologize. This was the first thing I read when I woke up this morning.

You're missing the point anyway. It isn't about me getting the card I want. It is about anybody being able to go onto Newegg, Amazon, whatever and simply buy the videocard. As long as they can't do that while they can do it for a competitor's product it doesn't really matter how good yours is. They're not going to jump through hoops to get it from some other region. They're not going to check nowinstock every 15m to try to jump on the meager trickle of boards coming out before the bitcoin miners snag them. They're going to say, "fuck this." and buy an nvidia board instead.

AMD had a window to sell ungodly numbers of 480 boards before Nvidia could get 1060 to market. They didn't hit the window.

My 470 arrived yesterday and gets 100+ frames in Overwatch on ultra at 1080p if I uncap the framerate which is all I needed so I'm at least sorted. If I were the typical consumer though I probably would have bought a 1060 just to "be safe".

Lastly, "I didn't have any problems doing what you are having problems with." is rarely seen as a helpful response.

I had them replace a whole card a few years ago no questions. It helped it was the first few weeks on owning it.

Hmm, that's good to know. I sent them a support ticket about it and we are trying to make sure it's the fan and not the contact pins, which might necessitate a new card. They've been pretty helpful so far. Hopefully it all works out.

Thanks!

Got my 4gb sapphire Nitro Today, and im Loving it.
It gets 74 degrees Max with an overclock from 1306 to 1360 and Memory from 1750 to 1870. And i never heard the fans once. Its still on the auto fan modus which it came with.
It gets me around 4260 something Time Spy score.
This combined with An xeon x5670 @4.4ghz 12gb triple Channel Ram @1771 on An sabertooth x58.

You're missing the point anyway. It isn't about me getting the card I want. It is about anybody being able to go onto Newegg, Amazon, whatever and simply buy the videocard. As long as they can't do that while they can do it for a competitor's product it doesn't really matter how good yours is. They're not going to jump through hoops to get it from some other region. They're not going to check nowinstock every 15m to try to jump on the meager trickle of boards coming out before the bitcoin miners snag them. They're going to say, "fuck this." and buy an nvidia board instead.

AMD had a window to sell ungodly numbers of 480 boards before Nvidia could get 1060 to market. They didn't hit the window.

My 470 arrived yesterday and gets 100+ frames in Overwatch on ultra at 1080p if I uncap the framerate which is all I needed so I'm at least sorted. If I were the typical consumer though I probably would have bought a 1060 just to "be safe".

Lastly, "I didn't have any problems doing what you are having problems with." is rarely seen as a helpful response.
Your first paragraph has fuck all to do with what I responded to... I don't disagree with it at all and isn't in any way a response to my comment.

(Edit: Except the bolded part about being able to go on Newegg, Amazon or whatever and simply buy a card. If you have access to those sites and can order their competitor's card, why can't you order theirs? Are you mad because the specific one you wanted wasn't there? Every time I've looked there's been 480s in stock. Not every version of the 480 was in stock, but there were 480s.Now I'm just confused and trying to figure out if you even know the point you are trying to make other than to justify being angry for no reason...)

The second and third ones don't either...

The last part is the only actual response and you just doubled down on acting ignorant, ignoring anything said in my previous posts.

You brought nothing but your own baggage so far and seem to be mostly having an angry conversation with yourself while quoting me considering you haven't seemed to read my last few comments in here. You just latched on to one thing I said and can't seem to get past it. You're trying to make an echo chamber of one... I'm not going to play this game.

Enjoy being angry over chip yeilds, market projections and your imagination, I guess. Have a great day.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Two months passed and it is fell like the RX 480 launch is a example of how not launch a product after the good hype... the paper launch of 4GB version, the few reference cards available and no AIB.

AMD needs to get better in this departments if they wish to have better results in sales.

Not to mention the $199 pricepoint ended up being a myth.

The best 480s are going for $280 and the board is a lot less attractive at that price.

Although its still decent.

The best 480s are going for $280 and the board is a lot less attractive at that price.

Calling it a myth is fairly unjust, I did get mine at $199 from Amazon. It still sells for $199 occasionally. It's just not where the demand is, when the card launched everywone was like 'wait for AIBs!!!1!' and so that's what flooded the market. The reference 4GB was actually very, very well priced, and I'm sure we would see more in the channel if there was actual demand. But instead we had people piling on the merits of 8GB VRAM (which is BS imo) and how much better the AIB models would be (which were absolutely worthless for the extra price they asked imo). We can't have nice things because of who we are.

I never buy GPUs day one. It's never worth the hassle of dealing with launch drivers, supply issues, and and wonky prices. Happens with both Nvidia and AMD.

RootCause

My nitro+ 480 8GB should arrive today. Had to wait a month, but I'll gladly wait for the 15% refund I got. :3

Ended up paying $229 for it. Can't wait to start building.

AndyD

aka andydumi
My nitro+ 480 8GB should arrive today. Had to wait a month, but I'll gladly wait for the 15% refund I got. :3

Ended up paying $229 for it. Can't wait to start building.

I think that's what I'm going to aim for as well. How did you get a discount?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I never buy GPUs day one. It's never worth the hassle of dealing with launch drivers, supply issues, and and wonky prices. Happens with both Nvidia and AMD.

I ended up getting the Turbo Asus 1070. I got it for $390 and it was close enough to MSRP and had great performance to boot.

Still I wanted the 480 to be better.

I got my 480s in today. I'll probably install my wife's this evening as she's currently using her new 1440p 144hz IPS panel with the old 7970 GHz.

I'll install the other in my HTPC for the time being.

abbyabs

Planning on getting RX480 and gaming monitor, I will also buy a Dell UltraSharp U2515H (1440P) for web design.

I am wondering if anyone uses the RX 480 to game at 1440p? and how are you finding it ? what settings do you use to get 60 FPS.

I understand the RX 480 will not run games at 1440p with max settings.

Got my card a few weeks ago and love it. It's just the stock 8gb ASUS one and I got it for $330 Cdn. I do think my FX-6100 is holding me back but that's ok, still a great jump from my old HD-6850 video card.

Finally finished Tomb Raider (the one from 2013) and played everything on high settings with the hairworks on and the game ran in the mid 40's on average. Can play Shadow of Mordor with the highest possible settings at over 60fps. The Witcher 3 at high settings well over 40fps too. This is all at 1080p.

thenexus6

Dazf4Gd.png

Helllo!!!

A3WQaXC.png

Goodbye!

in germany you can get a XFX Radeon RX 480 RS (8GB) for 10 euro less than the reference model. or only 5 bucks more than the 8BG 470 models. what is really bizarre.

1493509.jpg

this card has a really good cooling solution. the stock Settings are horrbile. but when you tweak it (max cooler rpm to 2400), it isn't much louder than the MSI gaming X.

it's even a good overclocker. mine goes up to a stable 1400MHz. had to adjust core voltage to get there, though.

Top Bottom