• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| July 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Shallows
forgive me for getting my pervert on here for a sec but the Charlies Angels-esque scene where Blake Lively gets ready to surf and puts on the wetsuit....
rejoice.png
rejoice.png
rejoice.png

lol

The Shallows is as much a shark thriller as it's a study of Blake Lively's body tbh. The first 30 minutes are filled with shots focusing on her, the landscape, and water. I'll allow it.

Aters

I recently watched Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? A true classic, and reminds me of my parents, sort of, sadly.

I recently watched Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? A true classic, and reminds me of my parents, sort of, sadly.

I always watched this recently, but it mostly reminded me how essential Hexler's lensing was to make this 2+ hour play adaptation come to life cinematically. Well that and its ace performances with all its great dialog, but he's the MVP of this production.

O.J.: Made in America

I know that ESPN did show this in limited theaters for a possible Oscar eligibility/push, so if it does get nominated for Best Doc, I'll definitely be rooting for it to win

Pachimari

Room (2015)
A mother finds herself in a very small room together with her son. Simple in concept but I quickly learned it cut deeper as I were explained, that this strong woman had been kidnapped by "old Nick" and since impregnated by that same monster outside of Room. Both Brie Larson and the kid are playing their roles tremendously, and they both take us through a beautifully strong relationship between a caring mother who knows she needed him to be safe but come to doubt her decision to keep him in Room, as outside sources like the media makes her unsure. Having to deal with all of this outside pressure has a different effect on the two of them, and the whole experience of seeing them develop both together and from each other is a trip you get suckered into. Unfortunately I found inside Room and the bond there a much more interesting idea, than outside Room where I feel the pacing fell off a bit and the movie weren't as tight or focused. In fact I came to learn, that Room wasn't really that interesting or original, but the acting performances and the subtle nuances in the emotions on display makes it a captivating film. I ultimately expected more but I weren't left disappointed.

Marathoned the Lethal Weapon movies today. It's a good series filled with fun car chases, good action scenes, and a good dynamic between Murtaugh and Riggs, though the series seems to focus more on Riggs as the sequels go on, even to the point where he's center-poster for LW4. Also nice to have a Three Stooges reference in almost every movie.

Lethal Weapon: A good start to the series with at his most psychotic, and that's what makes him and Roger a real odd couple. Also surprised this isn't considered a popular Christmas movie in the vein of Die Hard.

Lethal Weapon 2: I think this is the best in the series, with the addition of Joe Pesci to the cast, and the revelation that means Riggs can avenge his wife's death. I also like the villain here, and the focus on apartheid South Africa, even though it dates the film.

Lethal Weapon 3: I consider this the low point in the series. Murtaugh is absent for a sizable chunk of the movie so we can focus on Riggs and new character Lorna. The plot wasn't as good as the others either. Also, I was expecting more Pesci considering he's almost getting top billing here.

Lethal Weapon 4: I think adding the Asian element makes the movie more interesting, and Chris Rock and Jet Li are great additions to the movie, but I feel it gets a little too silly at times. The freeway chase is the highlight of the series, and it all comes down to a satisfying conclusion.

lustrate

Everybody Wants Some!!

I thought this movie was spectacular. It's a "slice of life" movie through and through, but it was completely hilarious with memorable, funny characters.

Blader

O.J.: Made in America

I know that ESPN did show this in limited theaters for a possible Oscar eligibility/push, so if it does get nominated for Best Doc, I'll definitely be rooting for it to win

Oh I thought this was a miniseries? Isn't it like 5 episodes/8 hours or something?

The Big Short: This movie does its best to explain how some people bet on the bursting of the housing bubble, and it does try to explain things like credit default swaps, CDOs, and synthetic CDOs, but it's still all very confusing in the end. It uses a decent amount of fourth-wall breaking to try and explain things though, so I'll give it points for effort. I think Inside Job might be a better way of explaining the whole thing.

lordxar

The Big Short: This movie does its best to explain how some people bet on the bursting of the housing bubble, and it does try to explain things like credit default swaps, CDOs, and synthetic CDOs, but it's still all very confusing in the end. It uses a decent amount of fourth-wall breaking to try and explain things though, so I'll give it points for effort. I think Inside Job might be a better way of explaining the whole thing.

I left with the feeling that they wanted you to think it was a giant cluster fuck that no one really gave a shit about so instead of a documentary approach left some things hanging. Have not watched Inside Job so I don't know how the two compare.

The Legend Of Tarzan is a weird film. It's absolutely dreadful, for a start, but its so weird. Not unlike I imagine will be a lot of people, my only previous exposure to Tarzan outside of a vague awareness that it was based on super old books, is the Disney film, which is a really good movie. This on the other hand is so far removed from that, and what made that film work, its a little bizarre. Not that it should copy the disney film I mean, or that they couldn't try a different interpretation of the character/story, just that it fails so badly, the comparison is inevitable.

When I saw on the internet a few days before I saw the film a comparison of it to Batman v Superman, I assumed that was a mildly humorous joke, but its surprisingly apt. A lot of what went wrong in BvS is also seen in Tarzan, its way too grim, way too dark, takes itself way too seriously, lacks almost any form of levity or lightness to offset the darkness and grimness, takes things that should be beautiful or awe inspiring and makes them ugly with an awful washed out colour palette, yuck.

The story assumes a certain amount of knowledge on the part of the viewer of the Tarzan story, which is fine, and involves Tarzan already living in England as a super rich lord having left the jungle and married Jane and is lured back to the congo by Samuel Jackson as an American trying to expose King Leopold's exploitation of the native people as slavery, and by a plot by the king's representative played by Christoph Waltz who needs to capture Tarzan for another tribe who hate Tarzan for some reason. It takes about 8 minutes of them being back in Africa before everything goes to shit, Jane gets abducted, and Tarzan has to rescue her.

Well, where to start. For one, what a weird film to try and be political, right? Are modern audiences supposed to be outraged at European colonisation of Africa? What message are they even trying to send, that colonialism was bad? Cos I mean, we all get that, and but I don't know if they expect people to care or what. The story is both boring, confusing, and yet lean. Giant obvious metaphors are rampant, Waltz uses rosary beads as a lethal weapon (hmm) before animals and natives rise up against the inhumane colonial Belgians, led by Tarzan and Jackson, respectively an incredibly white British person and an American.

The characters are bad. Alexander Skarsgård looks very physically imposing, granted, but he's a charisma vacuum of the highest order, and he hardly has any presence on the screen. Margo Robbie is an actress I really like and has charisma , but she gets shockingly little to do as Jane, and her and Tarzan have hardly any screen time together. The film tries to make a big deal out of her not just being a damsel in distress, but... she really is. Jackson and Waltz try their best, but Waltz is constrained by his role and the script, and never really gets to shine, which is strange considering how much success he's had playing utter bastards in films before. Jackson fares a little better as the comic relief sidekick with an ex military background, but again, his place in the story constrains him.

It all looks bad, specially after the jungle book, the looks of the animals was just bleh. The action is boring, and there's really not much of it, and hardly any of it looks good at all, calling back to aforementioned washed out palette WB seems to be so fond of. The pacing is bloody awful, which goes with how bad/infrequent the action is most of the time, stuff that I think is supposed to be impressive comes off as lame and limp.

So, The Legend Of Tarzan is awful, but its fascinatingly awful. Don't go see it though.

That's true to some degree, but it has no human factor, nor the specific effects of "money for money's sake" on the people in and outside of the investor community (those empty houses, the way the two guys deal with giving out loans, that stuff). They're different stories for different levels of engagement, I think. Personally I thought the movie did fine with giving a visual idea of 'how' all that shit got tied together into a single 'AAA' package (the stack when Gosling did his thing), but Inside Job is more thorough on the specific relations between bonds and rating agencies, etc.

lordxar

Ikiru. What a masterpiece! I'm at a point in my life where I've experienced a lot of things mentioned in this movie so that probably has a lot to do with what I think but holy shit this was such a good movie.
When he died
I figured there wouldn't be much movie left but it had a whole other hour surprisingly. I wouldn't call this spellbinding but it sure as hell held my attention. It's paced perfectly and unfolds in a very cool way. When I read the description I was kind of meh on the whole thing but after seeing it...I was wrong to doubt.

Next stop Seven Samurai when my bluray gets here.

Dat feel when you just watch Ikiru for the first time. I'm jelly man, and you get Seven Samurai for a first time watch on blu too? You're in for good times my friend.

Blue is the best of the trilogy imo, though the other two (or at least Red) are still worth watching.

I'm glad I watched it on Hulu first since I was thinking about blind buying the trilogy this sale, but after watching Blue I think I'm cool with just giving these a watch for now. I liked it a lot and its already grown on me since I saw it, but it's not something I feel I need to own yet. Gonna be weird watching the next one which is apparently a comedy? That's quite a tonal shift...

Blader

Yes it is a miniseries.

That's a hell of a long time to sit in a theater.

I'm glad I watched it on Hulu first since I was thinking about blind buying the trilogy this sale, but after watching Blue I think I'm cool with just giving these a watch for now. I liked it a lot and its already grown on me since I saw it, but it's not something I feel I need to own yet. Gonna be weird watching the next one which is apparently a comedy? That's quite a tonal shift...

It's a comedy, but more of an understated (yet absurdist) one. It's not, like, Anchorman. :lol
Also, it's not really funny either...

I'm way behind on reviews, so gonna play a little catch up. Been watching a combination of Pixar and Shaw Brothers movies this month (and somehow have averaged one per day already).

Finding Dory
The best non-Toy Story Pixar sequel. Which is to say, I liked it more than Monsters University. The original Finding Nemo is one of my top 5 Pixar films, and while this movie isn't *as* good, it's a pretty worthy follow-up. The very beginning had me worried, for some reason the first 20-30 mins felt almost like a cash-grab; here's those sea turtles you like again! Here's your favorite characters talking about the last movie again! But then once they get
to the aquarium
it becomes very much its own thing, and ends up delivering some nice poignant moments with a bunch of fun new characters. I wasn't sure that Dory could carry a movie on her own, and technically she still can't, since Ed O'Neill's Hank ends up being the one driving a lot of her story, but they make for a good team together. All in all I liked it.
3.5/5

The Good Dinosaur
This one, not as much. While not a total disaster, it feels very...dull. Not just dull in the story or its presentation, but in the ambition of the writing itself. The dialogue is very trite and derivative; the character beats are all pretty predictable; the plot is as much going through the motions as a Pixar movie ever has. I know a lot of Pixar movies use the same "stranded lead has to find their way home back home" template, but for some reason, this feels like the most egregious use of that framework. Maybe because the characters weren't interesting enough to disguise the fact that we've seen this same story unfold many many times before (also, in addition to feeling like it's pulled from the Pixar playbook, there are a lot of large sections here that seem lifted completely out of the Lion King). On the plus side, the environments look great (the character design themselves are pretty ugly) and the score is nice. I think this movie is kind of like Pixar's equivalent of Studio Ghibli's Ponyo: fantastic animation, but a story that probably appeals more to five-year-olds than anyone else.
2.5/5

Shaw Brothers reviews will have to come later.

Blader

Okay, more reviews.

Come Drink with Me
I'm a Shaw Bros noob, and everyone points to this as being their first major mark on kung fu/wuxia cinema, so I started here. It was solid. You can definitely see the influence on later films like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. There is more of a graceful quality to the fights here than I've seen in other HK action movies, but the way they're cut sometimes is really frustrating. It's hardly Taken 3 levels, but the constant quick cuts make it sometimes hard to see just what exactly someone is doing, or how they're moving, when they're dodging a hit or deflecting a knife or something like that. You have an action, blink, then that action is defused, and you don't really know what happened. I was a little disappointed that the Golden Swallow gets sidelined as the lead about halfway through, but Drunken Cat is cool too. Overall I thought this was fine.
3/5

Five Fingers of Death
I moved to this next since Tarantino has frequently mentioned it as one of his favorite grindhouse flicks. The plot is pretty typical kung fu stuff, and it runs through most of the tropes of the genre: rival schools, students avenging masters, a tournament, Japan vs. China, etc. But the fights are raw and occasionally brutal. And the theme (which is used a couple times in Kill Bill) is hype af. Another solid, if not terribly memorable, movie.
3/5

Executioners from Shaolin
I can't remember why I chose this next... I think it's because of the Tarantino connection again, as the Pai Mei character in KB is obviously inspired by the villain in this movie, also a white-haired kung fu priest named Pai Mei. I really like the scale of the opening fights, the viciousness of some of the later fights, and the general charisma of Pai Mei, who is a great, memorable villain. And I liked the generational, passage-of-time element to the story too. What I didn't like was how, after setting up a revenge story against Pai Mei for destroying the Shaolin temple, the film takes an abrupt 180 into a goofy love story for the next hour, and then drops these equally goofy family life scenes in between more serious training segments. The fights are still good, but the tonal shifts are really jarring. And the ending!
Our hero, who is now dead -- killed off screen apparently -- is avenged by his son, who uses a combination of his father and mother's kung fu styles to kill Pai Mei... allegedly! You never even see the final outcome of the fight! The son gets the upper hand, gouges out Pai Mei's eyes and throws him down a flight of stairs, and as he's tumbling, we freeze frame with text laid over the screen: "Pai Mei was eventually defeated by the tiger and crane styles." What the fuck?! Don't tell me that, show me that! You were literally seconds away from just showing it! Why did you stop?!
I don't know if they just completely ran out of money at that point in production or what, but what a disappointing way to end a really uneven movie.
2.5/5

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
Now this is what I'm talking about. Well-paced, consistent tone, excellent fight choreography. But what I really like about is the emphasis on training. No one in this film is a kung fu maestro; the antagonists seem moderately good at it, but they're never held up as the best fighters in the land or something, and the protagonist starts as a total novice. A good half of the film is spent walking through the process of training up this guy into, well, a kung fu maestro. But it takes the time to show all of the labors, his challenges with them, and his solutions for overcoming them, that the progression feels earned. Unlike a lot of other movies, where years of training are covered off within a minute-long montage, this one feels like a real journey. A kung fu procedural, perhaps. I really liked the approach to this one. My favorite so far.
4/5

Lmao that executors from shaolin ending sounds hilarious. I wish some massive anticipated blockbuster ended similarly just to see the meltdowns that would ensue.

Dereck

6011526.jpg

This movie is a little more than meets the eye, it's barely a 3/5, if you like the cast at all I would say check it out on a matinee.

Review

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
OJ Made in America: 8/10. Guys... I think he did it.
The Running Man: 6/10. Not especially great action but some nice satire. I thought a lot of Arnold's one liners were pretty sub par. It was hilarious how cheap everything looked, probably never noticed as a kid. Love that 80s future where we still have CRTs but now they have voice activation (also because they didn't have to build any props for it).
Straight Time: 8/10. Seems like a movie more people should know about. It's a pretty good crime drama with prime Dustin Hoffman. Also has the Juicy Busey and Harry Dean so I mean come on.
So I rewatched Vertigo and I'm sorry this still doesn't belong anywhere near the top of GOAT films. Don't get me wrong, there's some great stuff, but it's just so dull. Again if it weren't for the soundtrack this would fall even further in to mediocrity.

lordxar

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin

Skip the second but watch the third 36th Chamber movie. It's pretty damn nuts in a very good way. I'd also recommend the ones below if you haven't already watched them.

Five Elements Ninjas
The Eight Diagram Pole Fighter
The Five Venoms
Heads For Sale
House of Traps

I can't get enough of these Shaw movies at least these here. I've watched a handful that weren't as good but when their on, holy shit. I started watching one with Jet Li but Overwatch called and I put it on hold until tomorrow. The movie was a tad on the boring side up to where I left off but looked to get good. One thing I've noticed about Jet Li's early career is that every character he plays is some care free youth that is a fighter going after a chick. It's pretty much the same in every movie I've watched which is only two or three but still. He's blossomed out to a bit more serious roles in later years which is a good thing.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I Smile Back - No, I didn't know I'd bare witness to S. Silverman's boobs being fondled by S. Silverman. Best surprise in a long time movie-wise.

Well, I watched Jem and the Holograms because I was mildly curious, thought she was cute and it was on The Movie Network. And it was bland, boring and lacking in lots of necessary depth. Things just happen, there's no depth to what happens and it jumps around where it shouldn't.

Skip it.

Also, I just got home from seeing Mike & Dave Need Wedding Dates. I'd been wanting to see this movie for more than half a year, since they started advertising it so early, and...well..it was a bit of a letdown.

Is it a bad movie? No. It's decent. There are some funny parts, but the trailer gives away a lot. It's predictable and lacks some cohesion. Worth seeing, sure, but don't rush.

Did anyone else see the Absolutely Fabulous movie? Cos I feel like I was really missing a trick with it. Like, its not funny. Not at all. The celebrity cameos weren't funny, with the possible exception of Jeremy Paxman, and I didn't even recognise half of them till I came home and looked on wikipedia.

I mean I get the humour, given most of it was about as subtle as an arrow to the neck, but it was just like, nothing. Oh look, she's put a moustache on and pretending to be a man, ha ha. These two are awful people who spend too much on drink, how amusing. Oh these are running while smoking cigarettes, how... ugh. Honestly, nothing, not a single laugh, or snigger. Not one single good performance, no laughs, looks bad, bad script, its way too long, what a mess of a film.

iuxion

The Boy and the Beast - Mamoru Hosoda

Another lovely and charming Hosoda movie. It lacks the kinetic energy of Summer Wars and the sensibility of Wolf Children but it's still a beautiful tale. Once again family dynamics and conflicts take the foreground and his films become very accessible to relate cause of it. It gets a tad too melodramatic as it progresses and tries to jumble several different storylines. I would have preferred a simpler story, one which focused solely on the Beasts, the Gods and it's interaction with the kid.

Just saw this and I agree. It is a lovely movie but there is a noticeable dip in quality during the second half which introduces a very generic and melodramatic conflict.

On the Waterfront (Rewatch)-Brando is a tour de force in what is one of his iconic roles. The film is centered around his character of Terry Mallory, which can carry a heavy load for any actor. Fortunately he has help carrying this weight with a stellar supporting cast featuring Karl Malden, Lee J Cobb, and a debut from Eva Marie Saint. Brando is able to give the performance he does thanks to being able to play off of his supporting cast. This is an actor's film, which makes sense because Elia Kazan has been referred to as the actor's director. Speaking of, Kazan directs the shit out this, and Criterion knocked it out the park with their restoration.

Rewatched An American Werewolf in London. Loved it.

Has that transformation scene been topped yet?

I haven't seen anything that comes close.

iuxion

I didn't understand everything but enough to be infuriated. Honestly did not see a movie like this coming from the guy who made Anchorman, which I did not particularly care for, even as a very silly comedy. Pretty solid acting performances all around.

Regarding the earlier discussion: I think The Big Short and Inside Job should be watched as a package. While The Big Short is good for grounding the whole thing through very specific perspectives and getting across how absurd the whole system was, Inside Job gives a great overview of how it came to be and a more detailed look at just how inept and crazy everyone involved was/is, which will only serve to infuriate you even more. They compliment each other well.

faridmon

I didn't understand everything but enough to be infuriated. Honestly did not see a movie like this coming from the guy who made Anchorman, which I did not particularly care for, even as a very silly comedy. Pretty solid acting performances all around.

Is that Hiroshi Abe as your avatar?

*Fistbumps*

<3

Wild Strawberries is my second Bergman film, and his style is much clearer after seeing all the similarities it shares with Seventh Seal. I loved all the humor and idiosyncratic characters along the way, but was also wrapped in this sort of existential dread that's expressed through the super creepy dream sequences. Also Bibi Andersson and Ingrid Thulin make for some, uh, extremely pleasant viewing.

Next stop Persona?

Rewatched An American Werewolf in London. Loved it.

Has that transformation scene been topped yet?

Arguably the effects from The Thing, which were made by Rob Bottin who was the protege of Rick Baker who did the effects for Werewolf in London

UrbanRats

Wild Strawberries is my second Bergman film, and his style is much clearer after seeing all the similarities it shares with Seventh Seal. I loved all the humor and idiosyncratic characters along the way, but was also wrapped in this sort of existential dread that's expressed through the super creepy dream sequences. Also Bibi Andersson and Ingrid Thulin make for some, uh, extremely pleasant viewing.

Next stop Persona?
I know I'm just a Bergman neophyte (though I loved his style so much, I'm having a hard time watching other movies now) but personally I'd wait on Persona, watch the Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Lights and The Silence trilogy, first.
Also Through a Glass darkly is my favorite of his so far, so don't skip it!

Next stop Persona?

I think you could stand to get in some more of his 50s work (particularly the less serious/big stories), and those early 60s movies where you can see the turn happening. Persona's such a hyper-stylized and unique dive that I think it works best with a little more build up.

Phoenix was great. More than a few shades of Vertigo. The premise is mouthy -- a concentration camp survivor with a face that's recently been imperfectly reconstructed via surgery finds her husband, who thinks she merely bears a resemblance to his "dead" wife and enlists her as a fake to secure an inheritance -- but it's crisp and builds excellently. Highly recommended.

omgkitty

Phoenix was great. More than a few shades of Vertigo. The premise is mouthy -- a concentration camp survivor with a face that's recently imperfectly reconstructed via surgery finds her husband, who thinks she merely bears a resemblance to his "dead" wife and enlists her as a fake to secure an inheritance -- but it's crisp and builds excellently. Highly recommended.

The ending is a punch in the gut too. So perfectly executed and then it just ends. Exactly how it should be.

Blader

Skip the second but watch the third 36th Chamber movie. It's pretty damn nuts in a very good way. I'd also recommend the ones below if you haven't already watched them.

Five Elements Ninjas
The Eight Diagram Pole Fighter
The Five Venoms
Heads For Sale
House of Traps

I can't get enough of these Shaw movies at least these here. I've watched a handful that weren't as good but when their on, holy shit. I started watching one with Jet Li but Overwatch called and I put it on hold until tomorrow. The movie was a tad on the boring side up to where I left off but looked to get good. One thing I've noticed about Jet Li's early career is that every character he plays is some care free youth that is a fighter going after a chick. It's pretty much the same in every movie I've watched which is only two or three but still. He's blossomed out to a bit more serious roles in later years which is a good thing.

I was going to tackle Five Deadly Venoms, Crippled Avengers, Heroes of the East and Eight Diagram Pole Fighter next. I don't want to watch too many and burn out (watching four in the last week has already gotten me close to that point), but these were the ones that seemed to stand out among most people as being among the best. Might save those other ones for some other time down the road.

gamz

On the Waterfront (Rewatch)-Brando is a tour de force in what is one of his iconic roles. The film is centered around his character of Terry Mallory, which can carry a heavy load for any actor. Fortunately he has help carrying this weight with a stellar supporting cast featuring Karl Malden, Lee J Cobb, and a debut from Eva Marie Saint. Brando is able to give the performance he does thanks to being able to play off of his supporting cast. This is an actor's film, which makes sense because Elia Kazan has been referred to as the actor's director. Speaking of, Kazan directs the shit out this, and Criterion knocked it out the park with their restoration.

I haven't seen anything that comes close.

And Brando was down and thought his career was over because he thought he was terrible in it.

Such a great movie. Saw it for the first time in Film Study in high school.

lordxar

I was going to tackle Five Deadly Venoms, Crippled Avengers, Heroes of the East and Eight Diagram Pole Fighter next. I don't want to watch too many and burn out (watching four in the last week has already gotten me close to that point), but these were the ones that seemed to stand out among most people as being among the best. Might save those other ones for some other time down the road.

Yea I've just been watching them as I feel it myself. If their good I can watch several but if their mediocre I tire of them quickly which is why I shut the one last night down. It was kind of meh. I will finish it tonight though.

thequestion

Only Angels have wings. Directed by Howard Hawks. Starring Carey grant and features a young Rita Hayworth. Great film and will definetly watch it again. I think this film inspired the Disney cartoon 'tailspin'.

Mistress America is one of those films I don't want to gush about too much, but I'm probably going to, cos I absolutely loved it. I was entranced by it.

It's a comedy (a really funny comedy) about a young writing student Tracy (Played by Lola Kirke who is absolutely great) in New York who we see is clever and wants to do better and belong, but doesn't have the motivation to actually do anything about it until she meets her soon to be stepsister Brooke played by Greta Gerwig (who is even better) who as a free spirit, incredibly motivated, a bright light in an almost otherwise dull world depending on your perspective (Some people love her, some people seem to be turned off her, and Lola Kirke describes her as "Being a beacon of hope for lesser people is a lonely business." which describes the slightly darker, more complex side to her character.

Meeting her step sister not only gives a spark to Tracy's life, it also gives her the spark to write (a story called mistress america, ha) about her step sister in reverent but also critical terms, about her and her life, yet she's also utterly entranced by her, as most people we meet seem to be.

So, where to start. It looks absolutely amazing. New York looks absolutely amazing, and it gets even more exciting when Tracy meets Brooke. The music is bang on. The actors are all on point, every single one. Obviously Gerwig is the MVP but Kirke does a great job of hoodwinked Tracy, and her and Gerwig's conversations bounce off each other beautifully. It's not too long, which is always good. It's an interesting examination of the desires and delusions of modern millennials, and how far the world has moved on from the world they expect to find at university, and how sometimes there's no place in the world for certain kinds of people any more.

But more importantly, its a comedy, and its funny. I was laughing all the way through basically, smashed the six laugh test for me. Gerwig, Kirke, Cheung, Ling, they're all hilarious. It's a very talky dialogue heavy film, no slapstick, no stupid jokes about sex or whatever, its just funny dialogue and situations. And like I say, I loved it. I am in love with it. Best movie I've seen for ages.

"They were matches to her bonfire. She was the last cowboy, all romance and failure. The world was changing, and her kind didn't have anywhere to go. Being a beacon of hope for lesser people is a lonely business."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom