• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey for the Gods |KS| Survival against giant creatures, PC/PS4/XB1

This looks incredible but 300k doesn't sound like nearly enough to make a game of this scope. Those are super detailed environments and models and a team of 6 is gonna be hard pressed to finish 75 percent of it on that kind of salary. This looks like a recipe for creep and missed deadlines
They mention this has been an ongoing project propped up by each of their savings accounts and that what's being asked is what's needed to finish. The initial investment (licenses, time, assets) have been made.

Crossed $100k, a third of the way there

The devs were doing nicely detailed newsletter updates over this year and last. Listing stuff like the aspects they were working on
- Chien has been heads down refining and working on our climbing tech. Hammering out the bugs and making it look/feel solid.
- Tim has implemented a number of adjustments to make the camera feel incredibly natural and cinematic when you play. We received a ton of compliments on this!
- It’s also playable with mouse/keyboard or gamepad.
- Arrows can be pulled out of objects (bosses! corpses!) and reused, they can also break
- Reworked player cloth, more flappy.
- New boss animations
- Updated campfire animations
- Updated Level layout
- Updated Boss Arena
- Further weather updates
- Tuned enemies
- Tuned bow/arrow aiming
- We got a full set of news sounds from Skewsound.
- All new combat music from Ian Dorsch
- Second boss prototype working
- Tons of new tools that are speeding up Boss iteration, and development
- Much much more!

Breakdowns of the status of different gameplay elements
Day/night cycle - Review
- Campfire system - Review
- Resource system - Review
- Expanded exhaustion system - Review
- Improved bow/arrow controls - Review
- Enemy/player interaction and stealth - Review
- Climbing system - Further Polish
- Additional weapon design - Further Polish
- Enemy Art - Review
- Enemy Animation - Review

Started = Code/Art/Design has begun
Rough = You can see, or test the results in game
First Pass = Feature is checked in game and available but has bugs
Review = Feature is completed and ready for team review to decide what next steps are. (ie: further polish)

Details on how long they work on the game every night and of their workspace
http://www.preyforthegods.com/prey-for-the-gods-newsletter-4/
Prior to our reveal trailer, we worked 10pm-2am every night. It was tough but manageable. However, after our trailer was released we quickly were dealing with a lot more than we could handle part time.

B7ilWbQ.jpg

3zqiOlx.gif

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This looks incredible but 300k doesn't sound like nearly enough to make a game of this scope. Those are super detailed environments and models and a team of 6 is gonna be hard pressed to finish 75 percent of it on that kind of salary. This looks like a recipe for creep and missed deadlines

It's a team of 3, not 6. So about 30k per month, the base funding level will give them 10 months, if they live lean or are working from home and not working out of an office then they can stretch that out a lot further.

It's a team of 3, not 6. So about 30k per month, the base funding level will give them 10 months, if they live lean or are working from home and not working out of an office then they can stretch that out a lot further.
They're working from home and already have two years of part-time development funded by their savings

Some comments from the devs
We spoke with many other developer friends about our ask amount. It's the leanest and meanest we could go and still give us enough runway to release the game or at the very least get into backers hands within 2017. We're 3 developers and we're doing everything we can to make this a possibility. To reach this goal we chose to focus on PC, push out console releases, and really lock down scope.

What excites us is if we get the additional stretch goals. You get 8 bosses (half of SotC) for approx half the price of a standard console game. Console versions will be released and we would have more funds to pay for additional developers and expand the scope of the game. We're looking to have the game be approx 4-8 hours in duration for the 5 bosses. Realize with non-linear survival mechanics and dynamic weather the game play will very dramatically for each player. If the three additional boss goals are reached the game would be even longer.
Arthur Bruno and Brian Parnell [one of the developers of Prey for the Gods] worked together at Iron Lore on Titan Quest, and later Brian helped Arthur get Grim Dawn up off the ground.
Snow is a game play mechanic. It typically effects the speed and stamina of the player. The deeper the snow the slower you move, the faster you burn through stamina, and colder you get. If you are trying to run from a giant you can get caught in a drift. (this is actually fun and hilarious to watch a player get caught in a snow drift as they become totally terrified and usually scream out) It can act as natural mini-map as it shows you where you've been but beware over time your trail can fill with snow and disappear leaving you lost. We'll be adding ice so you can slip, etc.

The snow mechanics sound pretty annoying. The way they describe it it's like those air combat games that try to include blackouts. They do it in the name of a more "realistic" or "immersive" experience but it just becomes a pain in the ass to juggle that part of the game while you're trying to accomplish objectives.

There's a lot of cool ways to improve SotC, but playing Oregon Trail every time you're just trying to get from point A to point B is only taking the player away from the open and free environment people loved in that game.

I like the fact that they're practically ripping off SotC in the best way possible, but I'm not so sure about some of the survival elements since that's not really my thing.

M3d10n

A warning for backers interested in the console versions: the game is made in Unity, which is known to have significant performance issues on both PS4 and Xbox One (when you learn that a critically acclaimed mobile game is having problems being ported to the PS4 you know things are bad).

Considering the scope of the game and the team size, I expect it to run terribly unless Unity 5.4 (which has been in beta for over 6 months now) truly delivers on the promise of actually using more than a single CPU core on consoles (and does so without requiring games to be reworked around it).

A warning for backers interested in the console versions: the game is made in Unity, which is known to have significant performance issues on both PS4 and Xbox One (when you learn that a critically acclaimed mobile game is having problems being ported to the PS4 you know things are bad).

Considering the scope of the game and the team size, I expect it to run terribly unless Unity 5.4 (which has been in beta for over 6 months now) truly delivers on the promise of actually using more than a single CPU core on consoles (and does so without requiring games to be reworked around it).

That's an interesting point.

NeoRaider

Unity is really horrible, on both PC and consoles, tho. it's much worse on consoles. For some reason i thought that this is UE3 or UE4, when they confirmed that it's Unity i was disappointed.

It's so weird, for the longest time after SotC came out I was dreaming up new colossi fights that could be done in a sequel and one of them was a giant bird flying down the side of a frozen mountain. These guys stole my brainwaves confirmed.

As a rule I don't contribute to Kickstarters but I will definitely snap this up when it's released.

I really hope that they can make it to $1 million stretch goal. This game needs more bosses before I could commit to it. The survival mechanics are interesting especially the snow.

It looks pretty cool but that amount does seem super low, even with their reasoning, for a game like this. Still, will keep my eye on it :)

Oneself

I'll back the project if it gets close to 600k and I'm almost certain to get a PS4 version. It looks absolutely amazing.

Not really.

It really is. If this was only concept art or something that was extremely early, I would definitely understand why someone would be hesitant. But considering the state the game is in right now, why wouldn't you want to make it even better by giving them money now instead of after it's already done?

Anyway, I'm definitely backing this one. It looks incredible.

Sarcasm

It really is. If this was only concept art or something that was extremely early, I would definitely understand why someone would be hesitant. But considering the state the game is in right now, why wouldn't you want to make it even better by giving them money now instead of after it's already done?

Anyway, I'm definitely backing this one. It looks incredible.

Your taking a bit far. As a whole not buying into a KS isn't really a perplexing complicated thing as say as GoG vs Steam or something.

In KS if it goes through (meets the goals) one can buy it elsewhere after the KS is over on your store of choice, even platform (if lucky maybe).

Yes giving money now does benefit them more (I believe so as in less cut is taken? I haven't looked at KS cuts) then later.

But if the game passes it will be there later.

Added note I don't have enough money in my bank in the states for this. I backed DD:OS2 though.

Harlequin

Four minutes of legit pre-alpha gameplay footage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk7uzZG8HHU

Looks pretty awesome! This might be the very first Kickstarter campaign I'll back, actually. My only nitpick would be the weird sneak/stealth stance and walking animations. It looks like she walks normally at some points in the video but at others she does this really weird walk where her whole body is angled diagonally and that animation looks super weird IMO.

darthkarki

Unity is really horrible, on both PC and consoles, tho. it's much worse on consoles. For some reason i thought that this is UE3 or UE4, when they confirmed that it's Unity i was disappointed.

No, Unity is not "horrible". It's actually a pretty incredible offering, which has its own quirks and limitations that you have to take into account, just like any other engine. The fact that it's so easily accessible means that you have a lot of less skilled people putting out products without the polish and optimization you see from larger, more experienced teams.

Unreal isn't a magic bullet. If the devs of these games you're talking about that are so "horrible" had picked Unreal or something else instead of Unity, 1) the game probably wouldn't exist at all because those engines are too difficult, or 2) they would have had just as many issues, because it's still the same team.

Whenever you think "Unity is terrible, I don't see all these problems in Unreal Engine games", you have to realize you're comparing in your mind games made by entirely different people with most likely very different numbers of staff and probably different levels of experience. That's the difference.

Interesting

f9CPEHVl.jpg

And yes, Subnautica is awesome. It and The Long Dark are the best games in the genre IMO
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1197498
BountifulDecentAbalone.gif

As I imagine was the route for many others, I had gotten into the explore/craft/survive genre with Minecraft. That was a pretty revolutionary game for me, but as the years progressed and other games emerged, I grew bored of the genre. It felt like once you've played a few, you've played them all. Zombies, wolves, forests, islands, different veneers over the same structure. I was relatively done with the genre (The Long Dark is pretty damn good)

But it was Subnautica that rekindled my interest in that genre.

Subnautica's setting is easily its strongest element. There's a sense of wonder and mystery and beauty here that forest, cities, and other terrestrial places can't capture. Awakening in an escape pod after your larger spaceship crashes, you climb out and are welcomed with only an expanse of blue in all directions. The only way to survive is to plunge downwards into the aquatic landscape, catching sealife for food and gathering debris and materials to craft new gear and upgrades. What a world awaits you: kelp forests swaying in the current, bio-luminescent growths along the walls of dark deep caves, swarms of weird fish twisting through the water, coral tunnels and reefs, and more. But this beautiful environment is not void of danger.

Bone sharks swim among the kelp, the aggressive leviathan waits near the smoking crash site, and other aggressive lifeforms thrive throughout Subnautica's biomes. Luckily, with the right materials, you'll be well equipped to descend deeper and brave unexplored areas. Air tanks allow to stay underwater for longer, fins let you swim faster, knives and high-tech equipment like the stasis gun provide more effective means of defense. Lights, beacons, dive reels, air pipelines; the array of equipment to be constructed is varied and grows with each update.

It's an engaging cycle; new equipment allows you to explore more of the world (a reward by itself), thus acquiring new and better material and having access to better gear to explore deeper. In my opinion, the fact that every piece of equipment has a direct tangible effect, from faster movement or more air, makes crafting and collecting material more tolerable than in similar games. Once you're constructing bases on the sea floor or building submersibles, Subnautica really opens up, as you establish footholds in deeper terrain.

While the game is in Early Access, the developers frequently release significant content updates, introducing new biomes, new tech, new species, and more means to survive. The game is already solid, and only gets bigger and better with each new addition.

4F70E9EE7F28C5524CEAC3C3ACBB0306A7273E74
DiveReel_180p25_qual50.gif

FD98FF3D639087E1F82EA2F6FF2185411B3FF800
0ECFDC1318AB7658676D5442CCDB416D26F6B9C1

So the project currently stands at 210k with 21 days left to go. That really makes it seem like meeting its baseline funding goal should happen, possibly well before the deadline.

DrArchon

So the project currently stands at 210k with 21 days left to go. That really makes it seem like meeting its baseline funding goal should happen, possibly well before the deadline.

Yeah, this seems like a done deal with the expected boost that every kickstarter gets towards the end of its campaign.

I really hope they hit a couple of stretch goals at least. I'm sure a lot of people would love to have this on XBO and PS4, but all I really want is to get that orchestral score done.

Top Bottom