• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roll7 (OlliOlli) signs with 505 Games for big MP project (UE4, PC/consoles, 2017)

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/olli...505-games-for-new-much-bigger-project/0169350

The next title from OlliOlli and Not a Hero developer Roll7 will be launching with the help of 505 Games, MCV can reveal.

Details are scarce about this upcoming project save that it is an online multiplayer experience. The indie studio says that this new game is a departure from the 2D pixel-art style it is known for. It is going to be 3D, built in Unreal Engine, and coming to consoles and PC in 2017. The initial pre-production phase was funded by UK Games Fund.

“The ambition for our new project far outclasses our previous ones,” Roll7 director Simon Bennett said. “We needed a publisher with financial clout and international ties in order to take it forwards. 505 represents a middle ground between top tier triple-A firms and smaller, boutique indie labels who may not have the budget to achieve what we want to do. We’re not looking to do another OlliOlli – this is much bigger.”

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I loved those Olli Olli games though they destroy the sticks on my Vita. Seems like a talented group of people, can't wait what they make. I'd actually love a fully fledged skateboarding game from them.

KodaRuss

OlliOlli 1 and 2 are damn good. Glad to see them move onto some bigger stuff and see more success.

They really made one of the best skateboarding games of all time I gotta say.

EDIT: How is Not a Hero by the way. Almost bought it a couple times but held off.

Intel_89

Online multiplayer focused games have been failing left and right lately, I love Roll7 and believe they might come up with a solid project but that littl detail is leaving me with cold feet to be honest.

Granjinha

Online multiplayer focused games have been failing left and right lately, I love Roll7 and believe they might come up with a solid project but that littl detail is leaving me with cold feet to be honest.
Huh, care to say any examples? A lot of Online focused games have been having sucess as far as i can remember

Withnail

Really pleased to hear they're getting financial backing to do bigger things. They make fun games.

OlliOlli 1 and 2 are damn good. Glad to see them move onto some bigger stuff and see more success.

They really made one of the best skateboarding games of all time I gotta say.

EDIT: How is Not a Hero by the way. Almost bought it a couple times but held off.

It's awesome.

Zukkoyaki

505 is quietly becoming one of the industry's premier indie publishers. Good on them!

I wonder if this new project is going to be like multiplayer-centric Skate game.

Intel_89

Huh, care to say any examples? A lot of Online focused games have been having sucess as far as i can remember

Evolve and Battleborn come to mind, also games such as Wildstar and Guild Wars 2 started offering f2p options to players in order to try and negate the consistent drops in their respective games player count. I'm sure there are some others that I'm forgetting.

Not a Hero is brilliant. It's a lot of fun to play, though it does have a couple of minor gripes. One, the game is a bit too short. I beat the game with all side missions in about 5-6 hours. Two, some of the heroes are blatantly better than others i.e. Mike with his double barreled shotgun and stealthy execution. Three, the Bunnylord joke can get a bit annoying at times with the whole Peanuts wah-wah thing. Other than that, it's a blast to play, the writing is pretty funny, and its built in the mold of Hotline Miami where you'll frequently die and retry to get the timing right on things.

On topic, it is great they're expanding but the last developer that comes to mind who jumped from smaller games to a big multiplayer project was 5th Cell. Hybrid really did a number on them, if their Wikipedia page is right. I like the creative minds behind Roll7 so I hope this goes well for them, or at least well enough that Not a Hero 2 gets made.

Granjinha

Evolve and Battleborn come to mind, also games such as Wildstar and Guild Wars 2 started offering f2p options to players in order to try and negate the consistent drops in their respective games player count. I'm sure there are some others that I'm forgetting.

Well, you're using AAA games as examples. As far as indie-multiplayer centric games go, they have been quite sucessful. Especially because they generally do stuff differently.

Intel_89

Well, you're using AAA games as examples. As far as indie-multiplayer centric games go, they have been quite sucessful. Especially because they generally do stuff differently.

I'm more aware of local multiplayer successes than online on the indie forefront I believe, like Starwhal, Towerfall and Nidhogg. Rocketleague could also be considered an indie and that's an amazing success and also a game that I personally enjoy, it might just be an artificial barrier that I raise whenever developers announce multiplayer focused projects. Anyway, I just hope it's a good game.

Top Bottom