• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 active players is the highest since Halo 3 (even before the free play period)

jbug617

Banned
Cm0PFkgUkAEAc4q.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/4rrsrc/after_the_free_play_days_promotion_halo_5_has/

I think their commitment of free DLC kept people playing. You didn't have to worry about Season Pass for maps etc.

Noobcraft

The multiplayer is fantastic so it's understandable. Warzone Firefight pulled me back in after a fairly long hiatus.

big fake

Good to hear. Love the MP so much. Such a great step for progression with the speed it is at now. Play it almost daily, gets my anger out lmao.

The Flash

Banned
Firefight pulled me back in. Might actually give Arena and Warzone a shot again.

Been replaying parts of the campaign as well. Perhaps I've been a little too harsh on it. I still don't like how it's Halo 5 Guest Starring Master Chief but hopefully that'll get fixed in the next one.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Well deserved, Halo 5 gets so much right. They've been so quiet about numbers, most assumed it dropped off like 4. Hopefully this hammers home to 343i that the mechanics in this one are the way to bring Halo into the future.

I can't believe that. Halo 3 sold 15 million copies, and was the #1 most played game on XBL from 2007-2009 when MW2 came out.

There's no way a game with not even 1/3 of the sales can have a higher Active Players than Halo 3 at the same point in time. (May 2008)

EDIT: Wait, since Halo 3 means it's excluding Halo 3.

I believe it. Reach and Halo 4 were pathetic in terms of Player Population after launch. Good job on fixing a problem you created 343...

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Core gameplay is the best it's ever been so this is understandable.

Nowise10

I honestly can't believe that, considering all signs pointed to it not being highly popular (It being in the top 8th - 10th spot on the Live charts only months after release, YouTube/twitch views for Halo 5 being extremely low).

Interesting and cool, nonetheless. Would love to see the all the numbers.

I can't believe that. Halo 3 sold 15 million copies, and was the #1 most played game on XBL from 2007-2009 when MW2 came out.

There's no way a game with not even 1/3 of the sales can have a higher Active Players than Halo 3 at the same point in time. (May 2008)

I believe it. Reach and Halo 4 were pathetic in terms of Player Population after launch. Good job on fixing a problem you created 343...

... Bungie made Reach...

Noobcraft

To be fair, Bungie created the problem with Reach. It just took 343 a while to fix it.

Zereta

The post-game support for Halo 5 has been amazing and the gameplay in multiplayer has never been better. They deserve this.

... Bungie made Reach...

343 worked on the post-launch support. Bungie "made" the Noble Map pack and that was that. 343 failed to make the game grow with their Title Update/Map Packs, and then double downed and made Halo:CEA part of Reach, which just killed Halo:CEA's multiplayer and Reach's multiplayer as well.

Juanfp

They deserve that MP numbers.
I need to try Firefight, my gold membership expire and haven't had the opportunity to renew it.

Easily best multiplayer since 3! I am still playing it several nights a week with some friends, its great! Props 343, just get a better campaign next time!

daman824

343 worked on the post-launch support. Bungie "made" the Noble Map pack and that was that. 343 failed to make the game grow with their Title Update/Map Packs, and then double downed and made Halo:CEA part of Reach, which just killed Halo:CEA's multiplayer and Reach's multiplayer as well.
Reach started all of the problems people had with halo. Did you frequent the Bungie.net forums back then? The population dropped like a rock even before 343 took over

Welfare

God damn that is insane! Reach had close to 1 million players in a 24 hour span in its early months I think, and going by Stinkles' "hundreds of thousands" players a day awhile ago, this game is doing really well.

Gestault

I love Arena in this game so much. I can't enjoy most Warzone maps for the life of me, but *man* do the mechanics blend perfectly for normal slayer and objective modes.

That makes me extremely happy to hear. Their support since launch has been superb, probably one of the best examples around of the benefits of a good, free DLC plan. And the core game is the best the multiplayer has been since 3 for me. Good on ya', 343.

Novocaine

Good to hear. So many mixed reviews of the game but they have really done well supporting it. I really need to play some more. I just wish there wasn't that burn card bullshit in Warzone.

I'm guessing it's all in Warzone because MM is terrible putting Oynx/Diamond against Platinum/Gold.

Good news though. Hopefully they include all this stuff into Halo 6 at launch instead of giving people the "it has no content" excuse

EBE

i wonder how many play breakout? that mode was really hyped up before launch but i dont hear much about it. i also think its trash personally.

Welfare

i wonder how many play breakout? that mode was really hyped up before launch but i dont hear much about it. i also think its trash personally.

After the Pro's voted to drop it from the HCS, 343 has forgotten about it.

SOOOOOOO glad they wasted time on that mode.

Welfare

Why? Doesn't really benefit anyone. If anything it probably makes it worse since everyone will just play Slayer if they see it has the most players because they just want to quickly get into a match.

Everyone just goes into Slayer anyway. Pop counters wouldn't hurt anyone at this point since there has been plenty of time for people to figure out what they like.

Make it a website exclusive or something in the API. Lack of information is annoying.

The multiplayer is fantastic so it's understandable. Warzone Firefight pulled me back in after a fairly long hiatus.

Halo 5 needed a cooperative, non-MLG mode to keep less competitive folks in IMO. As much as I enjoyed the PvP, it's hardcore competitive focus from launch wasn't something I could enjoy repetitively. War zone helped, but it was a limited. Still feel it needs more maps, more bosses, more variation etc but WZFF and some of the more casual MP modes all help.

Hopefully H6 has all this at launch.

I don't even play Halo multi, which includes Halo 5, but as someone who absolutely loves Halo 5's campaign, all I have to say is stick that in your pipes and smoke it haters. This is certainly not the kind of news you were expecting. ;)

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Halo 5 needed a cooperative, non-MLG mode to keep less competitive folks in IMO. As much as I enjoyed the PvP, it's hardcore competitive focus from launch wasn't something I could enjoy repetitively. War zone helped, but it was a limited. Still feel it needs more maps, more bosses, more variation etc but WZFF and some of the more casual MP modes all help.

I really hope H6 multiplayer acts just as an expansion to H5's. It's too good to risk losing.

Lothars

I really hope H6 multiplayer acts just as an expansion to H5's. It's too good to risk losing.
I hope they change it because to me it's the worst playing halo since 2. I am not a fan of the gunplay, I think it's the worst by a significant margin. I am glad they are getting a decent population but I can't help but continously be dissapointed when i go back to Halo 5. I do need to try firefight though. I really hope they do better in Halo 6 and offer better more of the options since they did add some options for the moving and shooting but it didn't help that much.

The game play is what keeps me coming back. The tight controls and the balanced weapons make this game a joy to play. Halo 5 has it's flaws, but not enough, IMO, to stop it from being awesome.

there were "non-mlg" modes like FFA, SWAT, Breakout and Slayer

Top Bottom