• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mai Shiranui from KOF joins DOA5LR in September

butman

gl4SF8A.gif

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chun-Li

KingBroly

Banned
Me too, but Im grateful to TN for at least bringing anything to the PC. Still, I'm so desperate for some of those new console stages, I'd pay up to $10 each for them (especially the Hong Kong street stage. It looks so nice).

Surprised modders haven't done it, tbh.

Also surprised they haven't updated the Arcade version considering they continue to work on it.

That's cool, I didn't realise they were still making stuff for the game. LR is awesome so awesome to have more content.

And Mai is such a perfect fit.

Meh, that's a vague and lazy criticism. I mean, face shape? Really?

I'll agree to disagree. And I forgot how creepy people get around digital boobs, lol.

To be honest, it's not just DOA but also how other people view design differences in general, I don't know if people are actually not seeing differences or lying to themselves. It reminded me of a run in I had with someone and we saw pictures of some female models and he said they all look the same. It makes me wonder how comparisons work in someone's mind because someone like Rachel and Tina I can spot pretty damn easily apart even though they are both blonde women, while Kokoro has that round babyface even compared to other japanese black haired counterparts. It's not a bad thing I guess since people are different, just curious about how someone thinks when they look at things.

Eolz

Itagaki cited Fatal Fury, and Mai's design (and certain... physics) in particular as one of the key inspirations for DOA, along with Virtua Fighter, so there is sense to having this collaboration. I agree the Namco franchises shouldn't take part since this series was created to be an antithesis of that

Thanks, didn't know about Fatal Fury being a reference!
But yeah, I wasn't arguing against Mai's inclusion, on the contrary.

Team Ninja are not leg people.

They are leg people (just look at Kasumi or Rachel for example), just not thick leg people.

Funny that the official Mai hardly looks any better than the Mai mod-

You need to get your eyes checked. While the mod looks good, that new character looks way better.

Mike Golf

This will definitely bring me back for a while, haven't touched DOA5 on PS4 or PC in months.

I'll throw my two cents in and say no, she does not look just like Momiji. Even looking at the OP screenshot on my phone screen it's clear that she's not.

Really hope we get some decent costumes with her and not the same recycled school outfit/school swimsuit/maid etc.

*sigh*

Ok, this is a surprise. I might finally have to cave in and buy some DLC.

Mai is one of my favorite video game characters ever. She looks really good from what I can see.

Neoxon

This makes so much sense that I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Tekken gets to borrow Akuma & DoA gets to borrow Mai. Is the idea of 3D fighters letting characters from 2D fighters come visit gonna be a trend?

Boney

Banned
I can't believe that in 2016, when DOA character models look amazing and probably some of the best out there we're still subject to that 1998 boob jiggle physics that act like no gravity water balloons.

And her face does look odd and kofXIV Mai looks more like Mai

Luigi87

I can't believe that in 2016, when DOA character models look amazing and probably some of the best out there we're still subject to that 1998 boob jiggle physics that act like no gravity water balloons.

Maybe Tecmo is trying to say that reality has it wrong and science should be working toward adapting water balloon physics to the real world.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

There are different breast physics settings in game. (including the option to turn off breast jiggle too)
8afd8e376b.gif
43e0f08908.gif
87c6df247b.gif

Mind you this is from the PS3 version so the PS4 version the boob physics are a bit different.

Eolz

There are different breast physics settings in game. (including the option to turn off breast jiggle too)
Mind you this is from the PS3 version so the PS4 version the boob physics are a bit different.

Yep.
Famitsu did an official comparison with the new PS4/X1 setting before it came out (called Last Round in the west, it's between natural and DOA): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGfsH43GEB8
It's mostly about better physics depending on the angle and other parameters, that they improved upon in DOAX3. But seriously the argument doesn't make much sense when the "natural" setting is about the same as other games. DOA and OMG settings have always been pretty bad but used as references by some people for some reason.

edit: When I'm saying better physics I'm not saying they are realistic obviously ;)

8afd8e376b.gif
43e0f08908.gif
87c6df247b.gif

I'm not sure if I can see the differences clearly. Can you provide other examples?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Looks good. I guess this is the final character before 6?

Also...why do people keep saying she doesn't look like Mai? Like what does Mai look like otherwise that sets them apart?

The DOA franchise should have been called Huge Boob Fighters anyway, so this does not surprise me at all.

Welcome to the 90s?

MrMephistoX

Man who would have thought that DOA would beat the shit out of Capcom when it comes to regularly releasing F2P content and characters on a two year old game no less.

Really hope they get their shit together SFV is awesome but they need to get on a steady cadence.

Eolz

How much post-release content has been made for this game? They have to be absolutely rolling in it for this strategy to be worth it.

Because Japan has awful taste?

I was joking for Marie Rose :p
For the content, from another thread:
As a matter of comparison, since DOA5 came on topic:
- Costumes are 2$ each, apart from the collaborations (Falcom, Senran Kagura, Tatsunoko, etc) costumes being 3$ each. SFV costumes are 4$ each.
- Costumes can be bought per pack, usually with around 16 costumes per pack. Usually priced 19$ (regular pack), 28$ (collaboration/special) or 32$ (most of the roster).
- Currently at its fourth season pass, with the fifth one likely announced next month. Each pass is at 93$, including 5 costumes packs, for 78 to 101 costumes. Season pass 3 included a character, season pass 4 is including a stage. (edit: each season pass also includes an exclusive costume, but it's usually just some recolor, so no point in counting that)

Last Round launched with around 400 costumes included by the way, even if it seems not as big since it was its third release with 34 characters, it's still more than USFIV.

If you count from Last Round, 5 season passes and 2 characters. A lot of costumes before that as well, plus a really well made F2P business model.

Well, I would have loved more small / medium sized breasts in DoA. If the only choice we have is the child like trope, bleh.

Pai, Sarah (both from VF), Leifang and Christie fit in the medium to "small" (obviously not as much as Marie Rose) category.

Ivy when?

Hopefully never ahah.
Hopefully they announce SC6 next year though...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Looks good. I guess this is the final character before 6?
People said the same for Naotora, didn't they? Guess as long as there are season passes...

Also...why do people keep saying she doesn't look like Mai? Like what does Mai look like otherwise that sets them apart?
Mai always has fairly decent emotion to her face, be that kinda angy, coy, sexy, or playful.

This DOA model just looks plain in the face. XIV's faces cover a wider range of emotions, on males and females, which generally fits SNK's designs better.

I really, REALLY hope Neo Team Ninja can improve the emotions in the next DOA. Sexy bodies can only sell a characters personality for so long.

lupinko

Man who would have thought that DOA would beat the shit out of Capcom when it comes to regularly releasing F2P content and characters on a two year old game no less.

Really hope they get their shit together SFV is awesome but they need to get on a steady cadence.

At the very least it's likely Decapre will be added to SFV quite soon.

Has a near complete moveset and she even has a remix of her Ultra theme in SFV.

D.Va

Neo Member
Because Japan has awful taste?

Pretty sure Marie Rose topped the popularity charts not only in Japan, but in America as well.

I don't think Mai looks like Momiji, but then again, I've probably been looking at the characters more than most people.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Pretty sure Marie Rose topped the popularity charts not only in Japan, but in America as well.

I don't think Mai looks like Momiji, but then again, I've probably been looking at the characters more than most people.
It's because Marie is refreshing and it's nice not to have all the same size chest everywhere. It's great to have a small chested girl.

Edit: Momiji has a really really pretty face and Mai does not. They don't really look same at all to me either.

Ninja Dom

Oh it's another ninja , this game clearly didn't have enough of those.

But hey , it's mai , so i'm kinda happy i guess .
it's not like a kof collaboration might be a good idea to bring another character so that Tag combos would be even more fun .

Hey! You can never have enough Ninja's.

Top Bottom