• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch Lore Thread || Cannon or Canon?

Kalentan

UiVb.png

Note: As of... 11:44 PM EST 7/12, excluding heroes and villains, all images are now clickable.

Welcome! This thread is to primarily discuss the lore of the Overwatch universe! Balance and updates and the such should be talked about in the OT. However you could talk about character skills in the context of their lore.

Decided to make this since I know I've seen in many Overwatch threads: "Where does all of this backstory come from?" Well here I'll attempt to aggregate this information to the best of my abilites.

ViVb.png

(Borrowed from Wikipedia)
Overwatch is set sixty years into the future of fictionalized Earth, thirty years after the resolution of the "Omnic Crisis". Prior the Omnic Crisis, humanity had been in a golden age of prosperity and technology
development. Humanity developed robots with artificial intelligence called "omnics" which were produced world-wide in automated "omnium" facilities and put to use to achieve economic equality. The
Omnic Crisis began when the omniums started producing a series of lethal, hostile robots, which turned against humanity. The United Nations (UN) quickly formed Overwatch, an international task force to
combat the Omnic threat and restore order.

Two veteran soldiers were put in charge of Overwatch; Gabriel Reyes and Jack Morrison. Though Overwatch successfully quelled the robotic uprising and brought a number of talented individuals to the
forefront, a rift developed between Reyes and Morrison, and Morrison became the de facto leader of Overwatch while Reyes took charge of Blackwatch, Overwatch's covert operations. Overwatch maintained peace
across the world for several decades in what was called the "Overwatch Generation", but the rift between Morrison and Reyes intensified. Several allegations of wrongdoing and failures were leveled at
Overwatch, leading to public outcry against the organization and in-fighting between its members, prompting the UN to investigate the situation. During this, an explosion destroyed Overwatch's headquarters, purportedly
killing Morrison and Reyes among others. The UN passed the Petras Act, which dismantled Overwatch and forbade any Overwatch-type activity.

Overwatch is set some years after the Petras Act; without Overwatch, corporations have started to take over, fighting and terrorism have broken out in parts of the globe, and there are signs of a second Omnic Crisis occurring
in Russia. Former members of Overwatch decide to reform Overwatch despite the Petras Act, recruiting old friends and gaining new allies in their fight.

Overwatch Timeline can be read here!

WiVb.png

ajVb.png
bjVb.png
cjVb.png
djVb.png

ejVb.png
fjVb.png
gjVb.png
hjVb.png
ijVb.png
jjVb.png

kjVb.png
ljVb.png
mjVb.png
njVb.png

ojVb.png

pjVb.png
qjVb.png
rjVb.png
sjVb.png
tjVb.png
ujVb.png

If you're wondering why I put Symmetra and Hanzo in the Villains section, it is because Hanzo is still an "assassin" and Symmetra does sort of work for an evil corporation.

Character Interactions
Original Characters.
Ana's Interactions.

zkVb.png

vjVb.png

1jVb.png

8jVb.png

Note: As of... 11:44 PM EST 7/12, excluding heroes and villains, all images are now clickable.

---------------------------------------------

Hope you guys like it! Took me a bit and maybe need to shrink some stuff but here is 1.0 I guess?

Jintor

I love the characters and stuff but man the lore is so weirdly at odds with the tf2 inherent ridiculousness that is the game

Kalentan

Eww... I may need to redo a decent bit of the Heroes and Villain images... The edges are all weird in some of them that somehow I didn't pick up when making them.

TrueBlue

Pharmercy for the win.

To quickly stop this devolving into a shipping debate, I'm glad this thread was made. I have a lot of reading to do it would seem.

Moonlight

Banned
They all love Mercy, but Genji is the one she belongs with.
Truth. If we actually want 'evidence' of one ship or the other (sure as hell a dearth of if for Torb/Mercy of all things) there's plenty of affectionate voice lines between Genji and Mercy.

And #emergenji is a top tier portmanteau.

Squire

Banned
I will live and die by this ship. And the new group picture also "happened" to show Torb and Mercy pretty snugly.

He could be her father. This ship is the titanic, friend.

Truth. If we actually want 'evidence' of one ship or the other (sure as hell a dearth of if for Torb/Mercy of all things) there's plenty of affectionate voice lines between Genji and Mercy.

And #emergenji is a top tier portmanteau.

He totally loves her. You can hear it in the lines.

Mind blown @ bolded.

Who do guys think is the canon strongest person in Overwatch? IMO ot has to be one of the Shimada brothers, seeing that they can summon dragons.

TrueBlue

waifu =/= shipping

Mercy's ability of resurrection is pretty powerful a things considered - though I guess it depends on how one defines "powerful".

Kalentan

waifu =/= shipping

Mercy's ability of resurrection is pretty powerful a things considered - though I guess it depends on how one defines "powerful".

I have to actually wonder if it's actually "resurrection" or really just bringing them back from being knocked out.

Team Reaper here.

So he is really Death? or just a dude with some supernatural powers that uses that name?

Reyes aka Reaper, was once a member of Overwatch and leader of it's subgroup Blackwatch. Near the end of the days when Overwatch began to crumble (with his help), he and Morrison (Soldier 76) got into a fight in Overwatch's HQ which ended up being destroyed. Morrison was presumed dead but Mercy was able to find Reaper and in an attempt to heal his wounds something happened, were not yet sure of what happened but something gave him the abilites you see in game.

Moonlight

Banned
Team Reaper here.

So he is really Death? or just a dude with some supernatural powers that uses that name?
Reaper is just an edgelord who loves death imagery. He used to be Gabriel Reyes, co-founder of Overwatch and leader of Blackwatch, their shady black ops division. After a schism between him and Soldier 76, their HQ blew up and both were assumed dead. Some kind of failed experiment (by Mercy, it seems) caused his cells to constantly decay but he gained the power to suck life force from others to reverse the process. Now he works for Talon, the bad guys.

Was wondering when we'd get one of these!

So, fun new tidbit: Pharah's dialogue implies strongly that she had a fairly unhappy childhood, with her mother being tough and uncaring. Ana's video tells a very different story; while she may have been absent for long period, the relationship when she was present seemed like it was good. When they're training, Pharah is smiling and happy. So, there's a discrepancy. I'm thinking (and this would be cool), that this is actually expicable in-universe, with Ana thinking of herself as caring, but Pharah having a rather... different view of things. I always like it when there's a little bit of unreliable narrator stuff going on.

Who do guys think is the canon strongest person in Overwatch? IMO ot has to be one of the Shimada brothers, seeing that they can summon dragons.

Name quote or avatar quote? Hmmmmm

But honestly, powerful is all relative. Most OP character at the moment is probably Lucio, so I guess him?

Kalentan

It's that whole gameplay/narrative dissonance which makes answering such a question tricky.

Yeah.

Also just an update I'm slowly adding links to the images... It can be annoying to do in the text editor on GAF.

Another thing I have 2 more sections planned. "Maps" and "Organizations", you guys think those are needed or no?

Yeah.

Also just an update I'm slowly adding links to the images... It can be annoying to do in the text editor on GAF.

Another thing I have 2 more sections planned. "Maps" and "Organizations", you guys think those are needed or no?

Maps definitely. Organizations... they're pretty nebulous right now? Overwatch is effectively dead (albeit in the process of reforming) and all we know about Talon is "generic terrorist baddies, GI Joe style." Omnics aren't an organization anymore either, as such. Maybe if the lore progresses in a big way, but for now? Kinda a waste of space :p People can pick up what we know in the character bios easily enough.

This timeline here http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/24/11722688/overwatch-timeline I found really helpful in filling in the story too.

This, tho, would be useful. A timeline or something.

Kalentan

Maps definitely. Organizations... they're pretty nebulous right now? Overwatch is effectively dead (albeit in the process of reforming) and all we know about Talon is "generic terrorist baddies, GI Joe style." Omnics aren't an organization anymore either, as such. Maybe if the lore progresses in a big way, but for now? Kinda a waste of space :p People can pick up what we know in the character bios easily enough.

Alright, then I shall make maps in a bit.

This, tho, would be useful. A timeline or something.

I'll add the timeline to the "Story" section.

mollipen

As much as I get into the Mercy shipping wars around here, I hope all of that is kept out of this thread for the sake of people who actually want to discuss the lore of the game.

Raptor

I have to actually wonder if it's actually "resurrection" or really just bringing them back from being knocked out.

Reyes aka Reaper, was once a member of Overwatch and leader of it's subgroup Blackwatch. Near the end of the days when Overwatch began to crumble (with his help), he and Morrison (Soldier 76) got into a fight in Overwatch's HQ which ended up being destroyed. Morrison was presumed dead but Mercy was able to find Reaper and in an attempt to heal his wounds something happened, were not yet sure of what happened but something gave him the abilites you see in game.

Reaper is just an edgelord who loves death imagery. He used to be Gabriel Reyes, co-founder of Overwatch and leader of Blackwatch, their shady black ops division. After a schism between him and Soldier 76, their HQ blew up and both were assumed dead. Some kind of failed experiment (by Mercy, it seems) caused his cells to constantly decay but he gained the power to suck life force from others to reverse the process. Now he works for Talon, the bad guys.

Pure badassery!!

Thanks.

khaaan

There's probably some snarky parallel to Mega Man X and the Maverick Hunters in there.

Great OP (lifted from Wiki or otherwise), I found it a great refresher and learned a couple things too. The one thing I don't enjoy about the current lore presentation is that a lot of it is just an info dump on a wiki page. The comics seem cool (I'll have to get around to reading them at some point) but I wish there was more to it.

Kalentan

Bastion should not be listed as a hero or a villain. He is simply neutral, just discovering the world.

I see what you mean but I'll probably keep him in Heroes until more "neutral" characters are added. Since otherwise it would be a waste of a section.

Also added maps and are clickable.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wonder if they'll ever touch on the gorillas from the colony Winston came from. Maybe in the form of a map or a new 'evil' hero? Or even just a Legendary Skin.

Zarya is also a giant robotcist. Pretty disgusting tbh

I wonder if they'll ever touch on the gorillas from the colony Winston came from. Maybe in the form of a map or a new 'evil' hero? Or even just a Legendary Skin.

Makes sense considering her backstory tho.

Worth adding to the above Reaper descriptions, he's technically only working for Talon on a for-hire basis, seemingly to finance/enable his personal war against the living members of Overwatch. Like all true edgelord self-insert fanfiction characters, he answers to NO MAN.

Blues1990

An evil female gorilla (that has taken the Doomfist gauntlet & repurposed it) with psionic abilities would be sweet.

And can you blame her? Both Russia & Korea had gotten the blunt of the hit during the crisis, so it's only fair she would feel abrasive towards androids. Come to thinkof it, does she have dialogue between Bastion and Zenyatta?

Kalentan

Wait, Symmetra & Hanzo are bad guys? I thought they were more neutral?

Ehh... Hanzo I would say is "evil" at the moment but isn't as far as say Reaper or Widowmaker. Mainly I tried to put the characters in Evil who at the moment, aren't part of Overwatch.

Symmetra herself may not be a bad person but she does work for Vishkar which is almost cartoonisly evil. Also I think in an interview or something they said she is technically "evil."

I guess Ana hesitation of not killing widow was because Widow is (was) the wife of the Overwatch's chief right?

Not the chief, just an Overwatch agent. It's very likely Ana and Gerald Lacroix worked together, as did many others in Overwatch. Which made Amelie's capture and brainwash from Talon even more tragic.

Pretty sure Mercy has a relationship with Torbjon b3cause they are Western Europe people and Blizzard can't write any better.
And the only character who is bad at their core is Reaper. Widowmaker brainwashed, Junkrat and Roadhog driven mad, Symmetra just loves herself too much and Hanzo is retired after turning Genji into a puddle of mud.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
An evil female gorilla (that has taken the Doomfist gauntlet & repurposed it) with psionic abilities would be sweet.

And can you blame her? Both Russia & Korea had gotten the blunt of the hit during the crisis, so it's only fair she would feel abrasive towards androids. Come to thinkof it, does she have dialogue between Bastion and Zenyatta?
She won't even address Zenyatta by name she calls him 'Omnic'

I don't really look at old people that are ignorant and say 'well who can blame them!' Zarya is like 5 minutes from talking about building a wall.
Are Junkrat and Roadhog actually villains? I always saw them as neutral.

They're criminals.

Top Bottom