• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RimWorld out today on Steam Early Access - Colony Manager of Love and Life and Death

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
I have 11 dead terrier corpses and a butcher table set to butcher forever
Nothing happens. I have cooks and hunters, what am I doing wrong?

where is the butcher table? maybe its inaccessable because you restricted colonists to indoors due to a raid or something.
Do you have manual priorities? Do your cooks have more important things to do?
Has the butcher Task a too high minimum skill set?

Sarcasm

I have the animal corpses near by and green checks everywhere.

I think my slow power progress and food progress will kill me faster then trying to get stuff butchered lol.

Steiner84

I have the animal corpses near by and green checks everywhere.

I think my slow power progress and food progress will kill me faster then trying to get stuff butchered lol.

like suggested on reddit, what happens when you select your cook and right click the butcher table?

besada

Banned
So it seems I made the mistake of sending one of my colonists to hunt deer, because now there's a rampaging pack of manhunting deer attacking every human on the map, and all my colonists are downed. And a bunch of outlanders just arrived to trade with me. Whoops.
I instigated a pack of insane capybaras, who promptly murdered three of my four people before the last one was downed by an auto-turret.

In my current game, something set three enormous, circular grass fires just west of my colony. I started building a steel firebreak, but wound up with my whole team having to stamp out walls of fire. Three injured but no one killed this time.

Unlike the time Blue cheated on Andy, our only hunter...who had a charge rifle. Everyone in the camp was dead before I knew what had happened, and then Andy took all his clothes off, threw the rifle down, and proceeded to starve himself to death while wandering naked in the rain in a psychotic state.

Good times.

Steiner84

I instigated a pack of insane capybaras, who promptly murdered three of my four people before the last one was downed by an auto-turret.

In my current game, something set three enormous, circular grass fires just west of my colony. I started building a steel firebreak, but wound up with my whole team having to stamp out walls of fire. Three injured but no one killed this time.

Unlike the time Blue cheated on Andy, our only hunter...who had a charge rifle. Everyone in the camp was dead before I knew what had happened, and then Andy took all his clothes off, threw the rifle down, and proceeded to starve himself to death while wandering naked in the rain in a psychotic state.

Good times.

steel is not entirely fireproof. If temps get really hot, even steel starts to burn.
All types of stones are completly fireproof.
The fires have propably been started by a thunderstorm (propably one without rain) where trees got set on fire and it spread from there.

My Colony died lol..

:-(

wellcome to rimworld

TI82

Banned
Well that was something.

Started my colony with three folks in a forest-like plains area. one colonist was just a regular lady, the other was a 77 year old man and his 20 year old sister. They survived very well, eventually another colonist showed up with nothing but a tactical vest and a club. He was our chef, our Sanji.

Pirates kept coming, we didn't bat an eye. TAKE NO PRISONERS! was our motto, we slaughtered them all!

We raised a pet husky, and a pet boom rat.

Eventually summer came, and it was a very hot summer. One of our colonists went mad with heatstroke and tried to burn the camp down, but we survived. Someone thought our boom rat looked tasty and attacked him, he blew up our farm but we still survived. Summer also brought feelings of longing in the loins. Our new colonist hit on all the women of the colony, who all rebuffed him. Our 77 year old man kept trying to coerce the new colonist into a grindr hookup. But no. It couldn't help that everyone was a nudist.

What was our downfall? Having four very full batteries stored in a wooden shack. We need A/C they said! But was this cost worth it? While sleeping, our batteries exploded. Our entire camp burnt down. Did anyone try and put out the fire? Only the 77 year old man, who then collapsed in heat stroke. Everyone else laid on the grass staring at the stars as our settlement was burnt to a crisp.

And we had just made some parkas, damnit!

Edit: This is my second colony, my first colony was nothing but a guy talking turtles into joining our town and those turtles making more turtles.

Steiner84

Also bought the game after reading the article. I had been checking out some videos and have played DF in the past, so I wasn't absolutely clueless about everything, but the game could still use a better tutorial, maybe a series of small scenarios.

My first colony failed after a few hours. Everything was going fine, except for intermitent food problems. I generally only hunt male animals (if the game models reproduction, a single male with many females should keep populations high), but I noticed my issue were natural predators eating all the passive animals. So I mark an already injuried cougar for hunting. Main issue is my fastest hunter is a bloodlusty escaped mental patient with a plasteel knife (he likes things close and personal). Of course, the cougar mauls him badly. The only person in a position to help is my botanist, who is the main sciency dude for the colony. So I tell him to rescue the hunter, but the cougar jumps him and bites his leg off. I send colonist after colonist after the damned cougar, and one by one, he maims them. In the end, it dies from blood loss, while only the botanist's wife is still able to walk. She drags everybody back to their beds and passes out from exhaustion. By the time she wakes up, everybody has died from their wounds except her husband. She spends day after day, feeding his unconscious, legless husband, exhausted, scared, hungry and without any knowledge of how to really help him. His wounds get infected, but there's no more medicine left. She cannot get out to find more food, she spends all her time by his bedside caring after him, day after day.

Now, she dearly loves him. She used to be a planet-wide recognised artist who crashed in my area, and the botanist rescued her and got her back from the clutches of death. They were the first couple to marry in my colony. Everybody improved their mood after talking to them. She even had another suitor, but she turned him down, she just loved good old Graham too much. And she's been watching him suffer in agony, slowly dying while not being able to help. He inevitably dies, and she stands there, alone, hungry, depressed and exhausted. She's so hungry, and so helpless that the only thing she can do is butcher her pet turkey. But she can't cook and the colony is out of fuel, so she has to eat her own pet, raw. Man, this is dark. I look around the map to find some berries or anything else to keep her alive, to no avail. I check her status from the interface and she's resting, at last. But then I do some math... I don't have any extra beds, what... I go back to the colony house, and she's sleeping in her marriage bed. With his husband's corpse by her side. F*ck. At this point, she doesn't even give a damn. Or maybe it's a way for her to find some kind of sick, insane comfort.

A pod crashes, with a survivor. I go check him out and he's still alive, so I tell her to go rescue him, but she won't come. I search for her everywhere, but she's not in her bed, she's not in the kitchen, she's not hunting... This internationally famous artist in the bloody workshop, making a sculpture about his husband's death, in an "ecstatic mood". Holy sh*t. And she doesn't give a damn about the tamed animals starving, nor the crashed colonist writhing in pain out in the field. She's oblivious to it all, doing the only thing she knows how to do. Once she's done with the sculpture, she checks it and suddenly goes berserk. She strips off her clothes, grabs the escaped mental patient's plasteel knife and runs off into the mountains, killing every pet she finds, while the crashed colonist gets devoured by cougars. At this point, I leave the colony. But she's still out there. The planet's most famous sculptor, knife in hand, roaming the wildlands in a blood frenzy, and spending her nights talking to her husband's rotting corpse in their marriage bed. o_O
https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/c...iew_early_access_somebody_at_rps_gets/d5hvt5z

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
:(

RimWorld dev halts Steam key sales after "getting hammered by fraudsters"

PC Gamer said:
When the sci-fi colony sim RimWorld debuted on Steam Early Access last week, developer Tynan Sylvester asked—gently—that anyone looking to buy it do so directly from the Ludeon Studios website. “This way, we get significantly more of the money, since Steam isn’t taking their cut,” he wrote. “You can still immediately grab your Steam key and put the game on your Steam account.”

Sadly, that offer was quickly taken off the table. Anyone who purchased the game prior to July 17 is still eligible for a Steam key, but all future sales through the Ludeon site will be for the DRM-free version of the game only.

----

“We’ve been getting hammered by fraudsters who are obviously more experienced at this than I. Shutting it down for now is the only way to avoid thousands of dollars in chargeback fees and lost sales. It’s time to take a breather, because I can’t fight this ‘live',” Sylvester wrote in a message he posted yesterday. “All the stolen keys are being cancelled, and should be deactivated before they can be sold (or soon after, depending on how fast Valve does it). The funds they were stolen with are being returned to their rightful owners.”

---

“Hackers steal thousands of credit cards, use them to buy copies of the game from our website, redeem the Steam keys, and then sell these keys at half price. The credit card holder eventually notices the fraudulent purchase and gets it reversed. The end result is that the scammers keep the sale money, and we lose a sale, and we lose the chargeback fees incurred by payment providers (which can be $15 per copy!)," he wrote. "It can add up to hundreds of thousands of dollars. So buying these keys is much worse than piracy, because it takes money directly from us, and gives money to thieves.”

http://www.pcgamer.com/rimworld-dev-halts-steam-key-sales-after-getting-hammered-by-fraudsters/

WaterAstro

Well tried it out. Didn't feel too different really.

It's better at scaling the difficulty. Didn't have a group of ten pirates an hour into playing it.

It's worse with the mood thing. I had a dude who constantly got rejected by 4 girls in the colony and had a modifier of like -50 mood. Well, he obviously went nuts and died.

I didn't really want to continue the colony since it was out of my control that the dude died, so that's it for me until they finish up the game.

Steiner84

also a tipp for all new players: on sculptures or masterwork items, look at the art description. Some of them are hilarious.

Steiner84

Yeah I posted the article done by Dev a day or so ago. Pretty brutal.

Guys can you do electrical switches and whatnot? Like a way to charge your batteries then disconnect with a switch so you can use in an emergency?

tynan said this got blown out of proportion. its not nearly as bad as most reports make it out to be.

Yes you can charge batteries and then disconnect them from the grid. they will stay charged until you reconnect them (i think they have a little bit of degradation but its a non issue really). They can still explode in a ZZZZP event. If you want to prevent that you can uninstall them and leave them charged but not installed in your stockpile.

Lanrutcon

I had to abandon a mid level colony because the colonists were lazy and useless.

Read that again: I had to give up because my goddamn villagers couldn't be bothered to survive. It just wasn't "for them". Things like cooking more than 1 meal a day and building walls to stop the cannibals was beneath them.

Colony 18 is a go. This time I fucking execute the slackers.

Steiner84

How do I get rid of a useless colonist?

hardly without a mood debuff. If your willing to take it, you can say euthanize in the operatiosn menu.

maybe arresting him and then set release on the prisoner tab works without getting a debuff.

TI82

Banned
I had to abandon a mid level colony because the colonists were lazy and useless.

Read that again: I had to give up because my goddamn villagers couldn't be bothered to survive. It just wasn't "for them". Things like cooking more than 1 meal a day and building walls to stop the cannibals was beneath them.

Colony 18 is a go. This time I fucking execute the slackers.

I had the same issue until I designated in the schedule "work" instead of "anything". Unless they couldn't be arsed to even do that.

Lanrutcon

I had the same issue until I designated in the schedule "work" instead of "anything". Unless they couldn't be arsed to even do that.

Oh, I did that. But due to their personality traits and interpersonal relationship issues, they hardly got anything done at a reasonable pace, complained excessively when they had to work more than 5 hours a day, fought each other, brooded a lol and bitched about having 7x7 slate rooms EACH.

Most useless bunch of wankers ever to try and colonise the Planet of the Cougars.

TI82

Banned
Oh, I did that. But due to their personality traits and interpersonal relationship issues, they hardly got anything done at a reasonable pace, complained excessively when they had to work more than 5 hours a day, fought each other, brooded a lol and bitched about having 7x7 slate rooms EACH.

Most useless bunch of wankers ever to try and colonise the Planet of the Cougars.

lol, time to raze the planet and restart then

slash3584

Well my first colony didn't last long.

Everything was going well until a pod dropped from the skies, inside that pod was the mother of the only doctor of my settlement, so logically I sent him to rescue her.

What could go wrong right? Well just as he was coming back to the settlement a raid happens. He gets shot repeatedly just as he was entering the infirmary building but sill manages to put his mother to bed before the raiders finish him off.

The survivors manage to kill the raiders, but without a doctor I had to use the only other survivor who could provide medical care to heal both the other 2 survivors and the frail old mother of the dead doctor.

Sadly she couldn't get over a severe infection and died, followed by one her companions leaving just one survivor to fend for himself. He survived just long enough to see the doctor's mother heal of her injuries and leave the settlement happily.

Thanks mom.

Lanrutcon

Well my first colony didn't last long.

Everything was going well until a pod dropped from the skies, inside that pod was the mother of the only doctor of my settlement, so logically I sent him to rescue her.

What could go wrong right? Well just as he was coming back to the settlement a raid happens. He gets shot repeatedly just as he was entering the infirmary building but sill manages to put his mother to bed before the raiders finish him off.

The survivors manage to kill the raiders, but without a doctor I had to use the only other survivor who could provide medical care to heal both the other 2 survivors and the frail old mother of the dead doctor.

Sadly she couldn't get over a severe infection and died, followed by one her companions leaving just one survivor to fend for himself. He survived just long enough to see the doctor's mother heal of her injuries and leave the settlement happily.

Thanks mom.

Gotta wall off your colony, bro. Raiders only get one way in, one way out. Second the raid signal fires you take control of everyone you got. Those with weapons man the wall, those without stand ready to carry folks off to the medical station.

saunderez

I didn't really want to continue the colony since it was out of my control that the dude died, so that's it for me until they finish up the game.
I can't see this changing in the final game. Suceeding despite the useless hand you've been dealt is kinda the entire point of the game.

If you think vanilla Rimworld is bad, realistic research mod pack + toxic fallout is a nightmare you can never escape.

saunderez

alpha beavers were the death of my bros
The plague got me. My 2 most productive colonists bedridden for weeks. At one point there was a raid and I had no choice but to send them out to fight. They both got downed. More bed rest, more medicine.

They gained immunity and survived but it's going to be a while until they're back to their old selves. Technically my games not over, but the colony has fallen so far behind in their absence. It's only going to take another raid and we'll be unable to treat the wounded. Then comes the infections and the amputations and the peg legs.

I don't want to see them go out like that. They were doing so well before that damn plague.

Steiner84

the only thing i can say to new players: It does not seem like it, but if your colony fails, its most likely your fault. Sure there are certain things out of your control, but most failures can be been prevented. You may not know how, but thats part of the fun to figure out.

Helznicht

Game looks interesting, I haven't really played anything like this before, so I dont know what I am getting into. Thus, the $30 price tag for what is shown seems steep to me, where it also seems you need to apply several mods to iron out the kinks. Any similar, cheaper, games I could try out to see if I would like a game like this?

saunderez

Game looks interesting, I haven't really played anything like this before, so I dont know what I am getting into. Thus, the $30 price tag for what is shown seems steep to me, where it also seems you need to apply several mods to iron out the kinks. Any similar, cheaper, games I could try out to see if I would like a game like this?
Dwarf Fortress. Pretty much the only game like it. I guess The Sims also shares some elements, but totally Dwarf Fortress.

Mikeside

Dwarf Fortress. Pretty much the only game like it. I guess The Sims also shares some elements, but totally Dwarf Fortress.

You lose a lot of depth with this compared to Dwarf Fortress, but you more than make it up with having a decent UI and a much easier learning curve.

Sarcasm

I really want to learn DF. Maybe if my backlog wasn't so huge.

I got a guy who went a tiny bit red and mental break down from a little pain...

Lanrutcon

Only thing that is negative is a -6 due to friend died. lol what gives!?

The other negatives might have run their course. A lot of negatives are fairly short lived, so your dudes take these bursts of bad feelings (my room isn't pretty, my room is too small, my room is too dark, my room is dirty, my room is uncomfortable, my room doesn't have a chair..oh look, when your dude steps into his room his mood plummets).

Steiner84

have decent bedrooms and spacious, rich, impressive common room. Have most workbenches in that room for everyone to profit from it. Dont build doors where you dont need them, so it counts as one big impressive room instead of several smaller ones where every room needs its own sculpture to be beautiful.

Sarcasm

He still mental breaking down lol. They all live in 6x6 wood rooms with light and flowers.

Chick died from infection even with people treating with medicine. Guess comrades suck LOL.

Same with second chick. Screwed...because other dude was a freebie who can't do anything....

Can you guys share your builds? I don't even get to research much because everybody dies from beserking and slight infections. heh.

I do not know how to deal with these moods as they set in the second day with a ton of them. Even if I turn stuff off and make them all do one thing to progress rooms faster. They still go insane. I dunno. I keep trying. But even winter that one run I had doesn't kill me.

It is always moody PMSing colonists.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This game is pretty incredible.

For some reason last night a turtle became enraged and started attacking my villagers. Well, it didn't really attack. It was about 500 yards away, became enraged for no reason, and started slowly sauntering up to my people.

About 10 minutes later it finally got in range of one of my people who shot it with a rifle.

Anno

This game is pretty incredible.

For some reason last night a turtle became enraged and started attacking my villagers. Well, it didn't really attack. It was about 500 yards away, became enraged for no reason, and started slowly sauntering up to my people.

About 10 minutes later it finally got in range of one of my people who shot it with a rifle.

Berserk animal attacks are pretty hilarious. I had a squirrel charge me last night, dodge through a hail of gunfire and bite my dog who developed an infection because I was out of medicine that I think cost him a paw.

Never forget the BOOMalope menace from last summer.

If you kill it it will nuke a large portion of everything next to it.

So does anyone actually succeed in this game or does it always end up in everyone dying in some crazy way?

My personal is 2/10 win/loss ratio.

Sent a friend a link to the RPS article mentioned before. Next thing I know he offers to buy it for my birthday

<3

Can't wait to share my own tales of tribulation and woe.

saunderez

You lose a lot of depth with this compared to Dwarf Fortress, but you more than make it up with having a decent UI and a much easier learning curve.
Absolutely...Dwarf Fortress is extremely intimidating compared to Rimworld for the obvious reasons. I don't think Rimworld will ever reach DF's level of complexity but that's fine in my book. I hope it's accessibility spawns some more games in the genre.

Mikeside

Absolutely...Dwarf Fortress is extremely intimidating compared to Rimworld for the obvious reasons. I don't think Rimworld will ever reach DF's level of complexity but that's fine in my book. I hope it's accessibility spawns some more games in the genre.

Yeah, though there's already a few others doing the same thing,
I'm content with what's on offer so far, really.

Be nice to have a version of Rimworld based around slightly higher populations with some heavier sci-fi elements at some point, though.

wamberz1

Noob question, but I can't find anything on this:
Is it possible to actually move around the world outside of your generated box? Like, if there is a friendly town can you go visit them? I tried moving around the edge of the map with my guys but it did nothing. And playing around with the world map has done nothing either.

Steiner84

So does anyone actually succeed in this game or does it always end up in everyone dying in some crazy way?

once you have experience you start to seek tougher and tougher challenges. with this release the scenario system was introduced so you can now make ridicoulus tough things, but before this, experienced players would seek the most extreme conditions (icesheet - almost no farmable soil, growing period never, up to -90°C average temp in winter, -30 in summer, no trees, animals beeing very rare and or tough predators like polar bears - on extrem difficulty) and still build a near perfect colony.

Steiner84

Can you guys share your builds?

heres my current base

aQ59WUw.jpg

Top Bottom