• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk launches this fall in the west

This. I wonder what they would put in it... Any thoughts? My guess would be standard art book and soundtrack, maybe a statue. Kinda hoping for Griffith's behelit necklace. But yeah, I'm on look out for Amazon.

But it's weird that they haven't announced a Japanese CE yet.. May not be one at all then.

maybe they are waiting closer to launch before announcing stuff, ill be happy with a meager steelcase all in metal black

hoping for the best though, wouldnt think twice to buy a second PS4 if it looks cool (berserk themed)

JCG

There used to be a TecmoKoei USA rep who came to this board saying PC ports were going to be better. Still waiting on that promise.

They still haven't reached the best case scenario, but I guess that depends on what you're using as a point of comparison and whether or not you're unlucky enough to have the "wrong" set of PC specs (as in certain mobile cards and Windows 10?) that they're not accounting for in their optimization. Which, needless to say, shouldn't even be a problem in the first place if their port team did everything right.

In relative terms, it can be argued that Arslan and Dragon Quest Heroes were both better than their previous ports. This doesn't mean absolutely nobody on the planet ever ran into any issues while playing them, not necessarily, but they did have PS4 assets and some other improvements. AFAIK, One Piece is their only PC game that had Vita-like assets because of the graphic options debacle.

Speaking only for myself, I have had a relatively acceptable experience with their ports. Thus I'll probably get the Berserk game on PC as long as it's not outright unplayable (and even then I'd just refund it).

Sweet. Way sooner than I expected. :D

Playable Silat and Skully, please.

i wouldn't be surprised if the game looks and animates better than the fucking anime

aaarrgghhh

You make it sound like it'd be a hard task to surpass such trash as that. The PS2 game has better CG animated scenes, for crying out loud (more similar in style to Miura's actual manga).

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
ss2_3.jpg

reverse-1275905143_raging-midget.gif

SOON

Momentary

Banned
The Dragon Quest PC port was great. By all means be pessimistic, the company deserves that, but it's not a total lost cause like some people pretend!

Hah hah hah....

Game doesn't run in full screen mode. The Koei Tecmo "fix" for it doesn't work. That is to run the game in Windows 7 compatibility. I have a 1440p monitor, so running it in windowed mode at 1080p is a no go. So I use Borderless Windows and the game is at full screen but:

-The jitter and stutter from the frame rate is atrocious.
-There is a diagonal tear across the screen. Some sort of WEIRD VSYNC issue.
-Frame rate CONSTANTLY fluctuates from 45-60 no matter if I'm runnin on low or high settings. I have to lock it to 30 FPS just keep it from going crazy.
-The audio in movie playbacks are out of sync
-I'm pretty sure some of the graphical options don't do a damn thing to the game's image quality. Sort of like the One Piece Pirate Warrior 3 game.
-There is an issue with XB1 controllers where you'll have to roll back to previous drivers if you have the latest ones. Much like the same issues present with OPPW3. I'm sure there are other controllers that don't work.
-Some graphical options flat out don't work. Similar to Arslan.

The game has not recieved a single update to attempt to resolve ANY of these issues. Much like OPPW3.

My 980m and 960m did not do well with this game. Those GPUs are by no means slouches either. The Dragon Quest port is not great. It is not good. I wouldn't even call it mediocre. It's bad. I wish I knew what set ups are running this game so well. Probably people still using Windows 7 and older architecture than Maxwell.

I don't know if NVIDIA Optimus causes issues or if there something going on with mobile GPUs (maxwell arch in particular) but KT games just run like shit on them. Like I said. It took me a long time to get Samurai Warriors to run on both my gaming laptops. All because of their inability to get game to run outside of Window 7 compatibility.

If you're a late comer to KT games make sure to read the newest ratings for them. They have less fanboy dribble in them and more facts as to how the game runs on different hardware. Only reason my dumbass keeps buying their games is that hopefully one day they actually hire a competent porting company to help them rather than just run these games off their slave labor assembly line and onto the STEAM store fronts never to get patched.

I think the only KT game to have a fix after release is Dead or Alive.

Oh god, PC version is definitely going to be based off the Vita version ugh.

There used to be a TecmoKoei USA rep who came to this board saying PC ports were going to be better. Still waiting on that promise.

PS4 is basically a PC so PC port shouldn't be an issue. It will require very little effort in comparison to porting from PS3.

Minor gripe.

Guts is using the Dragonslayer in the screenshot depicting Zodd, this is not right as it is before the end of the Golden Age (you can tell by the fact he still has his left hand) Guts does not lose his original sword until the battle at Doldrey when it breaks in battle when Guts is fighting General Boscogn.

Jingo

Minor gripe.

Guts is using the Dragonslayer in the screenshot depicting Zodd, this is not right as it is before the end of the Golden Age (you can tell by the fact he still has his left hand) Guts does not lose his original sword until the battle at Doldrey when it breaks in battle when Guts is fighting General Boscogn.

Thanks for the spoilers.

KHlover

Banned
Thanks for the spoilers.

It's an almost 30 years old manga with two anime, three movies and multiple video games. That scene isn't even a third into the series. Would you also say...idk, Goku being an alien is a spoiler? Darth Vader being Luke's father?

OT: Those screenshots look so good. Day-1 despite Musou, could be loads of fun if it has local MP.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Minor gripe.

That's not the Dragonslayer.

Hm yeah, upon further inspection this is just his regular sword from the Golden Age. Dragonslayer's handle looks different.

And the sword is too small (slim) to be the Dragonslayer.

Jingo

Why are you in this thread, anyone whose seen berserk would know this, its not even that deep in.
Im in this tread for a new game that im not obligated to know the story to it, almost like with any new game, entered to know more information about release date, i know itsa game mostly for people who read the anime, but im not obligated to know the story to be excited for a game, its almost like people who read the game of thrones go spoiling what happens to a caracter in a tv serie.

Im in this tread for a new game that im not obligated to know the story to it, almost like with any new game, enteres to know more information about release date, i know ita a game mostly for people who read the anime, but im not obligates to know the story, its almost like people who read the game of thrones go spoiling what happens to a caracter in a tv serie.

This game is hardly going to be the best way to experience this story. It'll be truncated and confusing to newcomers, I bet. Read the original comics (manga) for the full experience. Or watch the 90s anime series first, at least, then read the manga.

Jingo

This game is hardly going to be the best way to experience this story. It'll be truncated and confusing to newcomers, I bet. Read the original comics (manga) for the full experience. Or watch the 90s anime series first, at least, then read the manga.
Thank you, im watching the anime right now, about half the season, its still confusing but im liking it :)

It's an almost 30 years old manga with two anime, three movies and multiple video games. That scene isn't even a third into the series. Would you also say...idk, Goku being an alien is a spoiler? Darth Vader being Luke's father?

OT: Those screenshots look so good. Day-1 despite Musou, could be loads of fun if it has local MP.

Don't be like that.
The anime just started. Its pretty safe to assume there's a lot of new people watching it. Game of Thrones is 20 years old, is it cool to post spoilers about that? I mean theres still stuff from the books that's only been teased in the show.

Zolo

Don't be like that.
The anime just started. Its pretty safe to assume there's a lot of new people watching it. Game of Thrones is 20 years old, is it cool to post spoilers about that? I mean theres still stuff from the books that's only been teased in the show.

For what it's worth, that spoiler's basically nothing. All it talks about is when Guts starts using his signature sword.

Thanks for the spoilers.

Something tells me I am going to be double dipping for this game... Collectors Edition if there is one for the PS4 and a digital copy from Steam

I had to stop playing the Arslan game and start watching the anime. I didn't know plot could move that fast. Didn't want to ruin the story for myself with the game. With the amount of ground the Berserk game will be covering, it'll definitely be moving at a similar speed.

Vex_

Banned
Another game sent to die. Then they'll turn around and not release the sequel when it tanks going up against every AAA game in the West.

How about some cool game releases in any other season pls kthxbai

Gxgear

Another game sent to die. Then they'll turn around and not release the sequel when it tanks going up against every AAA game in the West.

How about some cool game releases in any other season pls kthxbai

If Koei games could die they would not have been able to get away with using the same tired formula for 2 decades. And with them able to license major video game/anime franchise so easily, the Warriors games must be pulling serious numbers.

Thud

Don't be like that.

It didn't.

The new anime is a continuation. Anyone new to the series should stop watching and either watch the movies, the anime in 97 or read the manga.

Besides the reaction is overblown, it spoils very little.

Shin-chan

Given how quickly the turnaround time is for this I wonder if the English text would be included in the Japanese release.

Edit: I wonder if the old actors will come back if they're dubbing it too. Berserks dub is kind of campy in a 90s cartoon way, but I do think the voices match the characters.

Good. It gives me time to read the manga. I've already started it after seeing the 97 anime few weeks ago, but I'm stuck on the chapters that were animated and currently lack the time and motivation to will my way through these old parts.

Sooooo excited. Need to find the manga, tho, and get reading, because my only exposure has been the 90s anime, the movies, and the new anime. Any recommendations for where to get them cheap?

Fireflu

Was reading the manga just before this got announced at E3 and recently got caught up. I couldn't be any more excited for this! Looks absolutely fantastic!

Dying to see some more gameplay footage and what other playable characters will be available (Pippin, Skull Knight, Zodd and Serpico please!).

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Happy that we are getting the game so soon, disgusted Casca's rape is the first thing you see in the trailer

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Given how quickly the turnaround time is for this I wonder if the English text would be included in the Japanese release.

Edit: I wonder if the old actors will come back if they're dubbing it too. Berserks dub is kind of campy in a 90s cartoon way, but I do think the voices match the characters.
Probably just use the vas that did the movie a couple years ago

blanco21

I just started reading the manga a little while ago. Storywise when does this take place/up to where are there spoilers?

In this game, in addition to the well-known and popular "Golden Age Arc", you will also be able to join Guts and his newest companions on his journey of revenge through "The Hawk of the Millennium Arc".
Additionally, the extensive story includes an impressive amount of artwork, including footage from the actual animation movie trilogy and new, original scenes portraying more detailed interactions between the members of the Band of the Hawk and other characters.

It would seem it goes up to volume 34-35 (up until the beginning of the Fantasia Arc).

Probably skipping the Conviction Arc, like the new TV show

Final boss is definitely going to be
Ganishka's final form
imo

Hah hah hah....
I play Dragon Quest Heroes with a GTX 970 on Windows 10 using an X1 wireless controller. No special compatibility configuration or anything, I didn't tweak anything fancy, I'm using default max settings. I've only (?) spent 22 hours on it, but it runs perfectly, with great performance, no crashes, and superior visuals to the console releases. No resolution support above 1080p is all I can reasonably complain about. It's a great port, if Berserk is the same I'll be completely satisfied.

I don't really have any interest in it, but Arslan is supposed to be an even better port.

Like I said, by all means people should be pessimistic. That's absolutely fair. Omega Force has released a lot of cruddy PC ports. But they have been getting better, and this idea that they simply can't do the platform right is false. That's all I'm arguing against, we don't need to spin up a narrative that the Berserk port is inherently doomed.

(In my eyes DOA5 is actually one of their worst ports. Ignoring visual issues, online remains borked and still doesn't even let you play games with friends. Inexcusable.)

Top Bottom