• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sonic a joke to you?

heyf00L

The eye thing is weird, but it's a straight copy of the original Mickey Mouse design.

Of course later they changed it from 2 giant connected eyes to be 2 small eyes on a hairless face with a widow's peak.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
AnZlucp.jpg

This is a bottle of Pentobarbital. It's used to put down dogs. But more than likely it's effective on other small rodents as well.

I'm just putting the idea out there, Sega.

dickroach

Absolutely not. Sonic 1,2,3,Knuckles were all awesome. CD, too. Spinball are 3D Blast weren't good, but were kinda cool. Adventure was amazing when it came out... and then Colors and Generations are dope. it's pretty easy to just avoid the shitty ones.

Nah, I think sonic jokes are blown way out of proportion and just because a series has some not so great entries doesn't discredit the great ones. Its a mismanaged franchise on Sega's part, but Sonic team when given the resources and time does great work. Sonic Colors and Generations do a type of gameplay literally no other developer has attempted that I happen to really enjoy. I love time based challenging platformers and sonic just scratches that itch for me.

Exodust

Banned
Huge fan of Sonic growing up and I think the Genesis games are my favorite 2D platformers of all time.

Yes, yes it is. Little of it has to do with the awful games(although they do help) and more of it has to do with the crazy fanbase. Which is out there to say the least.

The best thing to happen to Sonic is becoming a meme, kinda like John Cena.

Absolutely not. Sonic 1,2,3,Knuckles were all awesome. CD, too. Spinball are 3D Blast weren't good, but were kinda cool. Adventure was amazing when it came out... and then Colors and Generations are dope. it's pretty easy to just avoid the shitty ones.

According to your list, the shitty ones have been all of them in the last 17 years except two.

That's joke territory, son.

VLiberty

Colours might be one of the best games I've ever played, and Generations is great. Maybe those who keep shitting on the series even though they've probably never touched a game in the series or at least in the past 10 years, yeah, those guys are a joke.

jay

Isn't it good to appreciate more things than less? I won't try and convert you but Adventure, Adventure 2, Advance trilogy, Rush series, Colours, Generations and Lost World are all pretty good. I also like Sonic 4.

Generally speaking I may agree with you, but I played Adventure and Adventure 2 and think they are bad. There are so many other interesting games to give my attention to. Things get dicey when arguing that if people liked one thing less they would have more time to like another thing, but I may feel that way about Sonic. For example, NiGHTS and Burning Rangers should have some of the fanbase Sonic has but they do not. I get that it isn't a zero sum game and this is somewhat an emotional argument.

Funny enough, I use what you just said in "worst console" threads to argue against the idea of declaring consoles shitty instead of trying to find worthwhile games on them.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I have my own biases based on being a Nintendo kid from the start but the thing that cemented Sonic into joke status was 2k6. An anniversary game meant to celebrate Sonic. Usher in a new generation. A reboot of the franchise by taking the title of the first game.

It was legacy tarnishing bad that Sega allowed that game to ship like that.

I only really cared for the first one. Nintendo and their platformers were more my thing back in the day. The later Sonic games are all easily missable.

I would say Sonic Colours, Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing, and Racing Transformed are brilliant games.

Sonic Generations has some of the worst boss fights of video game history, though. So it completely ruins the experience.

I don't think those games are bad. I think they're all certainly above average. I remember saying Generations was better than Uncharted 3 when they were both out around the same time, though history has made me a bit kinder to UC3 and a bit harsher on Generations than when I first played them.

But brilliant is overselling them by a lot.

RK128

It comes with being a fan of the franchise; it had so many past blunders with 06, Chronicles, Sonic Genesis, Boom Wii U and Shadow the Hedgehog that few respect it. So if you like the series, you have to be open to people saying 'Sonic is dead', 'It was never good', 'Only the Genesis games were good' and 'Why does he have green eyes?!'.

I'm okay with Sonic being a 'joke' to others, as he isn't to me. Remember, I made a very long retrospective series on Gaf that shockingly got few posts or sour comments; people enjoyed talking about the series in a bright light.

Sonic is a great series I really love and hope to see it continue for another 25 years in the future :).

The internet ruined Sonic for me, I automatically break into a smile/chuckle every time I see a topic about Sonic being brought up.

Onemic

Sonic Colors and Generations are seen as brilliant? Since when?

One thing I do find funny is that Sonic Adventure was seen as absolutely amazing when it first came out on the dreamcast. Now it's seen as a terrible game by everyone from critics to fans and I dont know why.

Astral Dog

He became kind of a joke to me after Adventure 2, with the dreadful trilogy of Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 2006.despite a few good ideas in there.

Then got alittle better but now its a joke again with SONIC BOOM (literally).

Now even the handheld versions are bad after becoming 3D.

He is just not a funny joke :'(

Daingurse

Nope. Sonic is, and always will be, my favorite videogame character. I'll be dead before I stop being a Sonic fan. I am really looking forward to the next game announcement from the Generations team.

I don't think the argument against Sonic fans is entirely fair as a means to dismiss the series.

But you can absolutely point to Sega directly trying to appeal to them with the "Let's put a bat with huge tits and spandex as a playable character" decision and then the two become harder to separate.

There's two things that I think did more damage to Sonic as a "brand" than anything else:
1) The Saturn period. Absence might make the heart grow fonder, but momentum keeps franchises afloat.

2) The post-Sonic Heroes period. 2006 and Shadow in particular. Those games are bad in the way that people who defend them come across as crazy.

But really, there's just a lack of quality control in general that makes it so that rational people don't expect much from Sonic games. And even when Sega looks like it might get their act together, out comes something like Sonic Boom.

Sonic is a joke to me in the same way McDonalds is. I might eat it once and a while and even enjoy it, but I'd never, ever get excited about it, and will mock it openly

Guess Who

Banned
I don't think the argument against Sonic fans is entirely fair as a means to dismiss the series.

But you can absolutely point to Sega directly trying to appeal to them with the "Let's put a bat with huge tits and spandex as a playable character" decision and then the two become harder to separate.

I dunno, maybe it's because I was young at the time, but Rouge seemed to come around before the furry-fetish side of the Sonic fandom was nearly as large or infamous as it later came to be. (She's also been almost entirely sidelined in the franchise for about a decade, too.)

I also don't think the fanbase argument would be nearly as widespread if Sonic games had been good. There's plenty of weird fetishy Undertale art, and there's definitely a segment of people that hate Undertale because of the fanbase, but most people don't care because Undertale's great.

Astral Dog

Huh Rouge the Bat is far from the worst in Sonic games/media imo .

At least she was ok in SA2 and Heroes.

Foffy

Banned
Sonic has not had amazing games since Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Everything since ranges between serviceable and shit.

Remember that the game I cited was released 22 years ago. It has yet to hit that peak in over two decades. What can this IP be other than a joke?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Sonic is the only reason I play home video games before the sega genesis was released the aracde was the place to be and people who had an NES were looked at as nerds genesis/sonic made gaming 'cool' for me and my friends everyone in my neighborhood had a genesis back then. I didn't know Nintendo was so popular until I went on the internet.

antitrop

2) The post-Sonic Heroes period. 2006 and Shadow in particular. Those games are bad in the way that people who defend them come across as crazy.
Never forget Dave Halverson's 9/10 Sonic 2006 review for Play Magazine.

It's like EGM's 9/10 review for Aliens: Colonial Marines. How does such a thing even happen?

RK128

Sonic has not had amazing games since Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Everything since ranges between serviceable and shit.

Remember that the game I cited was released 22 years ago. It has yet to hit that peak in over two decades. What can this IP be other than a joke?

Um, what about Sonic Heroes? Sonic Unleashed? Sonic Colors? Sonic & All Stars Racing Series? Sonic Generations? The Entire GBA and DS handheld titles? The Game Gear Platformers?

I can understand people making fun of Sonic, it can be fun I agree. But the series RELEASED good games after the Genesis Era. That era had shit games too. Sonic Blast painfully comes to mind X(.

NZerker12

Do I take the series seriously? No
Neither have the games.

However I find the people who say Sonic never had any good games or there being no good games since SA2 a joke.

jcjimher

IMO too many people focuses on secondary aspects like story, character design, etc. For me the fundamental components of the true brilliant Sonic experience were three: momentum-based gameplay + great level design + great music/art.

And no game since the Genesis ones have had all of that. No game since the Genesis ones feels fun only by moving the character and goofing around (just like the Mario games have felt from its day until now).

Top Bottom