• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft : We Didn't Need Crackdown 3 This Year Because We Have So Many Other Games

Chobel

Article from Gamespot (Original source :TXR podcast)

Xbox marketing manager Aaron Greenberg has shed more light on the subject. Appearing on the TXR Podcast today, Greenberg said Microsoft has so many other great games coming this year (not to mention third-party games) that he's happy to see the game land in 2017 rather than be "crammed" into 2016.

"We don't need the game this year," he said. "We've got ReCore, we've got Forza Horizon 3, we've got Gears of War 4, we've got Dead Rising 4--just on the stuff we're publishing before you get to all the great third-party titles. We have a great partnership with EA around Madden, around Battlefield."

Overall, Greenberg said Microsoft is now being "more thoughtful" about spacing out releases.

"We've been more thoughtful about spreading out our titles over the next year; not cramming them all into [the holiday season]," he said. "Giving people time to play games; to have time and money to be able to go buy the next game. When we look at that [holiday 2016] window of time, we sure didn't need another big AAA game, and so we'd rather give the team time and bring that out sometime next year."
Lock if old

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If you only game on Xbox, that isn't enough stuff.

Really? Most Xbox gamers won't be buying at least three of those titles anyway because of all the major third party titles coming out.

I realize a lot of GAF posters aren't interested in Battlefield, Call of Duty, Watch Dogs, Titanfall, the annual sports games, or even things like Mafia and Dishonored, but those are all going to outsell Microsoft's line-up, frequently by a significant margin.

To be fair Crackdown 3 would be destroyed this holiday sales wise.

I think it'll pay off with longer dev time and a more thoughtful release date.

Definitely a good decision. Games like RoTTR and Sunset Overdrive get lost during the holiday season and I'm sure would have benefited greatly if released on a later date.

2 things:
  1. I'm sad for no Crackdown 3 this year, especially not being shown anything new at E3 and probably Gamescom.
  2. Your tag is mesmerizing.

??? They did a terrible job spreading it out.

Quantum break was April than that was it for big AAA games right? Hell exclusives period (correct me if I'm wrong plz)

Now killer instinct gets another release in September,recore,forza

Gears is sandwiched between a bunch of third parties and dead rising depending where it is will be too

ResoRai

"we sure didn't need another big AAA game, and so we'd rather give the team time and bring that out sometime next year."

Sounds good.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Really? Most Xbox gamers won't be buying at least three of those titles anyway because of all the major third party titles coming out.

I realize a lot of GAF posters aren't interested in Battlefield, Call of Duty, Watch Dogs, Titanfall, the annual sports games, or even things like Mafia and Dishonored, but those are all going to outsell Microsoft's line-up, frequently by a significant margin.

I'm getting two of the four. I still would have liked Crackdown this year.

Eusis

Dishonored seems like kind of an edge case. Like the Souls games or Witcher 3.

But, yeah, you might be short on exclusives but it's not as if you'll lack for games period and it's still ahead of the Wii U (though ramping up for new consoles usually has that effect.)

sense

One of these days, they will get smart and release more titles outside of the holiday season like Sony to not compete with the big third parties. Gears and halo are probably safe but anything else will get buried

I...don't know if that's the right way to phrase that. I get maybe this holiday would probably be a bad time to release it but, lol.

nynt9

The power of the cloud remains to be seen.

The power of Phil Spencer to make people believe this is a positive thing is pretty real though!

edit: Greenberg

Elandyll

Banned

When you have a Holiday lineup only policy, sure. Between the 3rd party and the Xbox usuals there's probably plenty.

But they say "this year", and when you look at the whole year, the output has been just terrible for people who are looking for exclusives or semi exclusives to justify their purchase outside of the above mentionned "usuals" imo.

They aren't wrong, and after the disaster that was Crackdown 2, I'd prefer they have as much time as possible with this one.

Memory

They are not wrong, with how packed Q4 is alot of these games and third party games are going to be competing for the same sales.

Greenberg's statement is very reasonable. Microsoft releases many more first-party games during the holiday period than Sony and Nintendo, but weak output in the first half of the year has been a problem.

Gamers on Xbox One overall have fewer options than PS4 owners, but the volume of games is certainly acceptable for a single console owner.

This is so wrong. The only current console that suffers from this is Wii U.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

No, there is plenty to play on the first party side and third party side this fall. A lot. Only major release I think Xbox only gamers are missing, first party titles aside, is World of Final Fantasy IMO.

Chris1

I do think they have a good amount this year but he's obviously just trying to dodge the question there (we always knew crackdown single player was 2017+ and it sounds like that's what he's talking about). They said multiplayer would be out this summer, beta or otherwise and nothing. They released nothing this summer and didn't even mention it at E3.

I always suspected the multiplayer stuff would be F2P standalone this year because of how they worded it (purposely avoided using the word beta etc), makes me wonder if fable legends being cancelled & KI being done (definitive edition) means they're done with F2P and just gonna release it as part of the campaign package now.

They have a ok at best fall line up and the rest of the year was awful.

I hope this means that they realize it would be a good idea to have games year long rather then just at the end of the year.

EBE

Q4 is going to be packed and their line up is pretty solid, if a bit safe
i just hope Crackdown 3 is a worthy successor to the original

Here is a list of notable games coming to Xbox One between now and December:

We Happy Few
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Final Fantasy XV
XCOM2
ReCore
FIFA 17
Forza Horizon 3
Mafia III
Gears of War 4
Battlefield 1
Titanfall 2
Call of Duty Infinite Warfare
Dishonored 2
Watch Dogs 2
Dead Rising 4
South Park
Steep

Yeah, they'll be fine not releasing Crackdown 3 in fall and having it slaughtered.

I just hope the game turns out great, hell i hope it is still happening. Let that game take good usage of Scorpio and bring a proper singleplayer mode.

hawk2025

Aaron Greenberg's signal-to-noise ratio is basically zero. It's rare that we see a marketing person be this committed to a strategy that's completely divorced from reality.

It's almost unbelievable.

AmuroChan

Here is a list of notable games coming to Xbox One between now and December:

We Happy Few
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Final Fantasy XV
XCOM2
ReCore
FIFA 17
Forza Horizon 3
Mafia III
Gears of War 4
Battlefield 1
Titanfall 2
Call of Duty Infinite Warfare
Dishonored 2
Watch Dogs 2
Dead Rising 4
South Park
Steep

Yeah, they'll be fine not releasing Crackdown 3 in fall and having it slaughtered.

I would've swapped Crackdown with Recore and release Recore next Spring. Crackdown has a much better chance selling during the Fall than a new IP in Recore. If you think Crackdown may get slaughtered, I shudder to think what will happen to Recore, especially if it's anything less than a great game.

I would've swapped Crackdown with Recore and release Recore next Spring. Crackdown has a much better chance selling during the Fall than a new IP in Recore. If you think Crackdown may get slaughtered, I shudder to think what will happen to Recore, especially if it's anything less than a great game.

ReCore looks pretty bad and probably is gonna bomb regardless of when it is released. That's why they are releasing it in early September when there's no AAA competition.

mclem

Speaking personally, I tend to read "We have plenty of games already this year" as "We're worried we need more games next year"

Dabanton

There are too many games coming as it is. Out of MS lineup I'd be interested in all of them then I also want 5-6 other third party games. It's way too much and some of them will get dropped until I find time. (which nowadays is rare)

And tbh after MS sent Sunset Overdrive to die I damm well hope they think about their release schedule a lot more.

Basically unless you're a heavily marketed 'AAA' title going up against the Assassins Creeds,CoD's and Battlefields of the gaming world is literally asking to be crushed.

Top Bottom