• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After yet another Preview update, my Xbox One is stuck at the boot up screen

I was using Youtube on Xbox One and totally out of the blue i get a notification that another update is ready. Must be about the third update in a week. So no problem, let's update. When it was done updating it had to restart and then nothing...for like 5 to 10 minutes nothing but a black screen.

So i had to power off the Xbox One. Now it's just stuck loading in the green Xbox One boot up screen with the three circles popping up after one another and it just never goes to the dashboard anymore. What to do?

Got the hell out of the preview program a while back, you're playing with fire using it. MS literally treating you like a guinea pig for their benefit, not yours.
Having to factory reset the console to get out was a pain though.

Oh man, all of this panic from me was for nothing. It just took insane long to get through that boot up screen. I probably shouldn't have turned the console off when it was showing the black screen. It probably would have rebooted eventually.

But i appreciate the help guys. I was a little bit too quick to post a thread.

.la1n

Report the issue on the forum or opt out of the beta. These preview programs have opened my eyes to a whole generation of gamers who have no grasp of what beta testing truly entails or even what the word itself means in software development.

Oh man, all of this panic from me was for nothing. It just took insane long to get through that boot up screen. I probably shouldn't have turned the console off when it was showing the black screen. It probably would have rebooted eventually.

But i appreciate the help guys. I was a little bit too quick to post a thread.

Well yes, cutting power in the middle of an update is generally a stupid thing to do.

Official updates have bricked my Xbox One console twice now.

The first time was from a Preview Program update. I sent my console in to Microsoft to fix.

The second time was from an official consumer update. I was able to fix it myself with this. NOTE: this will delete all your HDD content and reset your console to whichever OS update you put on the USB stick. Your saves will be backed up on the Xbox LIVE servers so don't worry about those, but you'll have to re-download all games.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/offline-system-update-diagnostic-tool

Hope this helps, and good luck!

I'm still amazed how incompetent, awkward, and truly janky Microsoft's Xbox One is. I mean seriously, once is enough...but twice?

bryehn

your rude is showing.

how is that rude?

You should never cut the power to a device that relies on it. An Xbox/PS4 is not a phone. Dude thought it was cool to cut power in the middle of an update and is the reason we have warnings. You could literally call him an ignorant consumer without being "rude".

Abrupt or blunt, sure...but c'mon.

I had this problem after the last update, but I waited and after three or four minutes I finally got the home screen.

Maybe it was doing some sort of disk or file integrity check.

Deeke[VRZ];210341775 said:
Official updates have bricked my Xbox One console twice now.

The first time was from a Preview Program update. I sent my console in to Microsoft to fix.

The second time was from an official consumer update. I was able to fix it myself with this. NOTE: this will delete all your HDD content and reset your console to whichever OS update you put on the USB stick. Your saves will be backed up on the Xbox LIVE servers so don't worry about those, but you'll have to re-download all games.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/offline-system-update-diagnostic-tool

Hope this helps, and good luck!

I'm still amazed how incompetent, awkward, and truly janky Microsoft's Xbox One is. I mean seriously, once is enough...but twice?

Damn...it bricked your console twice? I assume you got a new one from MS though right?
I guess that;s the risk that we take when it opt in for this. The thing is, so far it had be pretty much smooth sailing for me. No real problems, well not incredibly bad problems.

how is that rude?

You should never cut the power to a device that relies on it. An Xbox/PS4 is not a phone. Dude thought it was cool to cut power in the middle of an update and is the reason we have warnings. You could literally call him an ignorant consumer without being "rude".

Abrupt or blunt, sure...but c'mon.

But as i said.....it had finished the update and was restarting, during this restarting process it kept showing a black screen for like 10 minutes or so and this had never happened before. Usually i am very careful with these things. I guess i am lucky that when i rebooted it,it did install everything properly after all. That's why it took so crazy long for the boot up screen to go away.

Happened to me to. Been in preview a long time and I've heard of this happening alot to others but this is 1st time for me.

After getting it to finish update now my controller is having connection issues. I've heard others complain about it not in preview though. Most of the time it had to do with some interference issues with wi fi etc. I've had my X1 since day 1 and never had this issue. I have 2 controllers a day one edition and a newer one with 3.5 jack and it happens to both of them.I live in a house not an apartment so not neighbors. Nothing has changed connection wise with anything in the house so I've been attributing it to the preview. Has anyone else had this issue after an update? It's frustrating as hell having controller disconnect every 2 min.

People shouldn't sign up to the preview program and not expect things like this honestly.

This gen the preview program really has been about testing updates, whereas on 360 it was like a preview with no bugs or glitches.

Much riskier this time around.

People shouldn't sign up to the preview program and not expect things like this honestly.

This gen the preview program really has been about testing updates, whereas on 360 it was like a preview with no bugs or glitches.

Much riskier this time around.

Yeah I think the only thing that bugs me is how in depth MS treats it. There's a dashboard with quests and questions and etc. and while I appreciate that they want the fan base to feel like they're guiding where the system goes I think people are getting a distorted view of just what a preview program is. MS needs to make it really really clear that there are updates that can break your system and to proceed with extreme caution. For the most part it's just been nagging issues but I just feel their approach is one of "come help us design the experience!" while whispering under breath "but it could also brick your console".

One3OneKing

Neo Member
I've never seen such exaggeration in my life.

1. You signed up for this and yet you people have the AUDACITY to be mad at Microsoft
  2. The frequent updates as of late are there because a major update is going live in 2 weeks. This is crunch time
  3. People are mad saying Microsoft should have tested software before they put it out. When iterally this is what they are doing.
  4. I am in Preview and the issues are very plainly laid out in the preview forums the place that every user should go but nope. It's better to complain on some external forums.
  5. Almost 100% of the time you encounter an update error (ex: e200 or green screen) it is the users fault via poor/unstable internet or an attached device to their console
  6. My console bricked so clearly it's a wide spread issue when literally that's not the case. Everyone always feels if it's happening to them, it must be happening to everyone.

Moral of the story: You asked to be in the preview program yet you don't want any bugs? In what world does that fly? Opt-out and good riddance.

One3OneKing

Neo Member
Yeah I think the only thing that bugs me is how in depth MS treats it. There's a dashboard with quests and questions and etc. and while I appreciate that they want the fan base to feel like they're guiding where the system goes I think people are getting a distorted view of just what a preview program is. MS needs to make it really really clear that there are updates that can break your system and to proceed with extreme caution. For the most part it's just been nagging issues but I just feel their approach is one of "come help us design the experience!" while whispering under breath "but it could also brick your console".

And yet they do. That's literally in the agreement. If people don't read it, whose fault is that? If people read it and are somehow surprised by issues, whose fault is that?

The same happened to me with the previous build. I thought the console had finally bricked from a preview update, but I was able to power it down with the console’s power button and everything was fine when I rebooted it. Closest I've had to a janky update process since the initial NXOE preview wave I was in. I'm glad it worked out for you too, OP.

And that's some off-putting attitude, One3OneKing.

thanks for posting this thread because it took me a really long time to boot up after the update today as well, but knowing this was a possibility eased my concerns a bit.

dLMN8R

Got the hell out of the preview program a while back, you're playing with fire using it. MS literally treating you like a guinea pig for their benefit, not yours.
Having to factory reset the console to get out was a pain though.

Yes, that is quite literally the entire point of the preview program - to enable tens or hundreds of thousands of people help find bugs (sometimes catastrophic!) instead of just a few hundred or thousand within Microsoft.

Why the hell would you or anyone else think they should exclusively "benefit" from entering into a preview program? Yes, you get to try new features before anyone else, but if there weren't any potential downsides (including bricking your system! then the updates would be ready for release to tens of millions of consoles.

darthbob

Moral of the story: You asked to be in the preview program yet you don't want any bugs? In what world does that fly? Opt-out and good riddance.

Don't you see, they want all the new features without any of the responsibility that comes with testing pre-release software.

You see this happen every thread where there's some cool new feature on the horizon. Happened with Backwards Compatibility on Xbox One, happened with media streaming on PS4, happened with the Xbox 360 when they did their whole 'New Xbox Experience' thing too.

Rembrandt

Banned
The same happened to me with the previous build. I thought the console had finally bricked from a preview update, but I was able to power it down with the console’s power button and everything was fine when I rebooted it. Closest I've had to a janky update process since the initial NXOE preview wave I was in. I'm glad it worked out for you too, OP.

it's true, though.

After the last preview program for the new dashboard messed up my console's internet connectivity for months I swore to never participate in any others. The program does nasty stuff to your console and isn't worth getting a headstart on the new features.

Persona7

Banned
Don't opt into these programs if you are not willing to deal with issues that come up. I think you can call customer support? I don't know if the preview program offers additional protections if you are outside of your warranty.

One3OneKing

Neo Member

But, I love you <3

Trup1aya

You think they should have this beta build, and not provide an easy, organized way to provide feedback? That would defeat the purpose of having a beta test.

I'm not sure how much more 'clear' they could get. Simply signing up warns that severe issues might arise.

Also, people with major issues are in the extreme minority.

And yet they do. That's literally in the agreement. If people don't read it, whose fault is that? If people read it and are somehow surprised by issues, whose fault is that?

You think they should have this beta build, and not provide an easy, organized way to provide feedback? That would defeat the purpose of having a beta test.

I'm not sure how much more 'clear' they could get. Simply signing up warns that severe issues might arise.

Also, people with major issues are in the extreme minority.

Well yeah I understand but I'm saying the way the program is built it's like it's a game. This is preview software, and buggy software at that, and I understand they do say it when you sign up but I don't know maybe put it in 3" bold headlines on the Dashboard. The way it is now you'd have no idea you're even in preview by looking at the dash especially with being able to auto update without you even knowing.

dLMN8R

Well yeah I understand but I'm saying the way the program is built it's like it's a game. This is preview software, and buggy software at that, and I understand they do say it when you sign up but I don't know maybe put it in 3" bold headlines on the Dashboard. The way it is now you'd have no idea you're even in preview by looking at the dash especially with being able to auto update without you even knowing.

It's not easy to sign up for the preview program. And it's also limited instead of being wide-open for anyone to register with it. Anyone who does get it, absolutely has every opportunity to clearly understand exactly what they're getting into, and plenty of opportunity to back out before they ultimately make a decision to participate.

And then, even after you participate despite all of those warnings, you're still not violating your warranty. Microsoft will still help you get out of any problems you do run into. You're not SOL, you're not treated like an empty resource to discard and forget about, if anything you have faster and more direct route to support because you're appreciated as someone who's willing to help test prerelease software.

The dashboard is there to make sure that:

1) People who participate are rewarded for their time

2) Teams within Xbox can ask their preview members to help test specific scenarios which otherwise might not be used by a large number of people

1. You signed up for this and yet you people have the AUDACITY to be mad at Microsoft
  2. The frequent updates as of late are there because a major update is going live in 2 weeks. This is crunch time
  3. People are mad saying Microsoft should have tested software before they put it out. When iterally this is what they are doing.
  4. I am in Preview and the issues are very plainly laid out in the preview forums the place that every user should go but nope. It's better to complain on some external forums.
  5. Almost 100% of the time you encounter an update error (ex: e200 or green screen) it is the users fault via poor/unstable internet or an attached device to their console
  6. My console bricked so clearly it's a wide spread issue when literally that's not the case. Everyone always feels if it's happening to them, it must be happening to everyone.

For real. This preview has been ass, yes, but that's the whole point of testing software.

Metzhara

The preview program is a huge pain the the ass. Even those in the system wouldn't generally disagree.
With that said, most are right in that this is a testing experience with a lure of "trying new things first." Like most Beta programs, it's not used as a Beta at all by the end user. Some companies know this and exploit it. I never believed MS to do this (for Xbox One) and I don't know.

With that said, the number of major issues I've experienced on the Previews has increased tremendously. It's not uncommon for issues to resurface. The main issue I have is that the "report tool" crashes more often than my Preview. Quite ridiculous to be honest. It also takes FOREVER to report, even without the video.

Yet I stay within the program. I do my part. The only benefit is getting to say "Hey, I did that." I get that feeling from my day job. Sometimes... this just feels like more work...
because it is. I wish they'd finally do something with those points they dole out because honestly...
they're just dick measuring to other dudes who are dick measuring... and I'm getting cold with it all out like that.

RedRum

Banned
My quesion is.. what is stopping people with continuing issues from opting out? Never tried opting out but I assume it's as easy as opting in?

dLMN8R

You're still in the current preview until the next dashboard goes public.

Not entirely. You can always do a factory reset to instantly go back to the latest public build.

If you have an external hard drive, you can move all your stuff there too so that you don't need to re-download anything.

Ason

Not entirely. You can always do a factory reset to instantly go back to the latest public build.

If you have an external hard drive, you can move all your stuff there too so that you don't need to re-download anything.

Might be worth to mention that they added an option a few months back, to keep all your installed games & apps when you do a factory reset, so no need to wipe your whole console (unless nothing else works).

RedRum

Banned

You're still in the current preview until the next dashboard goes public.

Might be worth to mention that they added an option a few months back, to keep all your installed games & apps when you do a factory reset, so no need to wipe your whole console (unless nothing else works).

This is actually great info guys. Thanks.

dLMN8R

Oh cool, I had no idea

Top Bottom