• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAC-MAN Champion Edition 2 - Trailer - September (PS4, Xbox One, PC)

I don't even understand how half of the stuff in the trailer will even translate to the game though lol, I imagine they'll include more basic CE/DX type modes though if you don't want the super gimmicky stuff

mollipen

Got excited by the title then looked at the screens.

This is more like Pac-Man CE DX 2 than Pac-Man CE 2. :-\

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the "Championship Edition 2" name. I feel like CE was a game that was tuned to be a competitive game, where as DX was more of a "for fun" kind of experience. This looks way too crazy to be a serious competition game (though I'm totally willing to admit I might end up being wrong).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the "Championship Edition 2" name. I feel like CE was a game that was tuned to be a competitive game, where as DX was more of a "for fun" kind of experience. This looks way too crazy to be a serious competition game (though I'm totally willing to admit I might end up being wrong).

Fingers crossed for an OG CE mode.

Krejlooc

Banned

That's the way I've always felt, too. Pac-Man CE is like the perfect arcade game to me. Entirely focused on score attack. I think, with modern competitive gameplay conventions, it could be even better. Let people watch your runs live, or archive them for repeat viewings. That sort of stuff. Part of the fun of real arcades is the thrill of having an audience watching you wreck shop.

By far my most played game last gen. I used to keep my shield portable connected to my TV just so I could play it on the big screen until I learned it was ported to PC as part of the Pac-man collection.

Only game from last gen that I'd put on Pac-Man CE's level is TxK which is fucking godly. Fuck "atari" btw.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
That's the way I've always felt, too. Pac-Man CE is like the perfect arcade game to me. Entirely focused on score attack. I think, with modern competitive gameplay conventions, it could be even better. Let people watch your runs live, or archive them for repeat viewings. That sort of stuff. Part of the fun of real arcades is the thrill of having an audience watching you wreck shop.

I agree completely. I put in a ridiculous amount of time with CE, DX I played through all the maps once and then never touched it again.

I mean, yeah, I'm getting this day 1 without a doubt

but I can't help but feel disappointed that they're continuing down the DX gameplay path
I get the feeling that DX was probably more popular from a casual standpoint. I really seem to remember that it had more "staying power" even here since it was generally easier to get into (and more "fun," possibly).

CE definitely had a bigger retention drop-off as the game got into the really serious, competitive hardcore score crunching.

CE = vinegar, DX = honey, in a sense.

Krejlooc

Banned
I agree completely. I put in a ridiculous amount of time with CE, DX I played through all the maps once and then never touched it again.

I've played CE DX more than a couple of times, but I'll admit my first time through the game was mainly done to unlock modes, expecting to eventually unlock a true CE mode. I can't say enough how disappointed I was when I unlocked "CE mode" in DX only to realize it was simply the CE map with DX rules.

My friends used to make fun of me for having this incredibly powerful PC with tons of VR tech and motion controllers and all that jazz... and I'd use it to play pac-man lol.

Terrorblot

Holy crap I'm so pumped for this! I loved CE and DX! I think CE was one of only like two games where I had a high leaderboard score. For a short time I was in the top 10 on one of the CE boards. The other was Hotline Miami 1, I think I'm still in the global top 10 for the PS3 version of that game for like half the maps.

Krejlooc

Banned
I get the feeling that DX was probably more popular from a casual standpoint. I really seem to remember that it had more "staying power" even here since it was generally easier to get into (and more "fun," possibly).

CE definitely had a bigger retention drop-off as the game got into the really serious, competitive hardcore score crunching.

CE = vinegar, DX = honey, in a sense.

Oh yeah, DX was designed to make some of the coolest moments from CE easier to obtain. The pre-configured chains of ghosts that remain stationary on the map for example - to get comparable chains like that in CE, you have to really understand how Pac-man works and how you can manipulate ghosts into following you a certain way. Once you get into that kind of meta game under the surface, you can string huge chains together, but that comes only after a lot of play.

DX doesn't require you to understand how ghosts determine where to go in order to get those flashy, impressive chains. In fact, at certain points, it almost forces you to eat them. In my best runs in CE, I'll basically have a chain of ghosts stretching over the entire stage it's about finding that optimal path (both for you and the ghosts) to keep eating the ghosts as they regenerate while staying in powered up mode. I feel like CE focuses much more on dot eating and score multipliers than ghost chaining, too, where I feel the opposite about DX.

I also feel like limiting the number of ghosts total on the board creates a more cerebral game.

PlatStrat

Neo Member
Wait so why do people prefer CE over DX? I never played CE but I played a shit-ton of DX and from what I can tell the main difference between the two is the sleeping ghost mechanic where you can eat a whole chain of ghosts which to me was the best thing about it and why I kept playing it. It was goddamn addicting eating lines of ghosts after nearly dying several times.

But yeah CE2 will probably be my GOTY

CE is more of a pure arcade game. DX is more of a puzzle/arcade hybrid with a lot more content & modes. Both are amazing games.

Hopefully CE2 turns out to be equally good as some of my happiest video game moments were dominating the leaderboards on the first two games. ;)

Lets just pray that the leaderboards aren't as easy to hack as the ones in the previous games.

Mesoian

Wait so why do people prefer CE over DX? I never played CE but I played a shit-ton of DX and from what I can tell the main difference between the two is the sleeping ghost mechanic where you can eat a whole chain of ghosts which to me was the best thing about it and why I kept playing it. It was goddamn addicting eating lines of ghosts after nearly dying several times.

CE is traditional pacman rules with a time and shifting stages. It's not outlandish for people to just want to play pacman without any of the new gimmicks or changes that CEDX has.

yyr

Oh yeah, DX was designed to make some of the coolest moments from CE easier to obtain...

You basically described in detail why I really, really, really love DX. Way more than CE, as good as CE was.

Exact opposite for me. It's so hard for me to go back to CE vinegar after tasting dat sweet DX honey.

Maybe it's just because I'm better at it? I dunno. I am (or was) in the top 200 on the X360 leaderboard that measures total performance across all modes and stages, and still intend to go back and improve further.

Krejlooc

Banned

They're very different games with different emphasis and different rules. Like Robert above, I view CE DX more as a puzzle kind of game than a purely action game. DX is more structured, CE is more organic. If you want to be good at either game, you need different strategies and tactics. A good CE player isn't necessarily going to be a good DX player and vice versa.

You basically described in detail why I really, really, really love DX. Way more than CE, as good as CE was.

For me, the reward of putting it all together manually in CE is more fulfilling than having it presented to you in digestible chunks in DX.

I also am not a fan of the bullet time mechanic in DX, which makes the game too forgiving to me.

eso76

Downloaded the first expecting nothing more than classic Pacman with updated graphics. Was I wrong. CE was a spectacular update on the formula and so much fun.
I think Pacman 256 is pretty good too.

Now this does look like it's doing a bit too much.
Trailer gave me a seizure.
And I want it.

Krejlooc

Banned
Downloaded the first expecting nothing more than classic Pacman with updated graphics. Was I wrong. CE was a spectacular update on the formula and so much fun.
I think Pacman 256 is pretty good too.

Now this does look like it's doing a bit too much.
Trailer gave me a seizure.
And I want it.

I was very disappointed with Pacman 256. It wasn't what I was looking for at all.

One big difference between the two games is that DX has AI that it uses for all ghosts, whereas in CE, each color ghost has a different AI routine.

I also am not a fan of the bullet time mechanic in DX, which makes the game too forgiving to me.

Time still moves at regular speed during bullet time so you're still losing potential points, it's just not as devastating as a death.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I was very disappointed with Pacman 256. It wasn't what I was looking for at all.

What was it about it that disappointed you? I love me some Pac-Man since the beginning of gaming, and played almost every rendition. However, I have been on the fence about this one. And I did not download the Namco ones in Unity on PSN because the file size seemed to asinine for an OG Pac-Man game.

Loved me CE, enjoyed but did not love as much DX.

Krejlooc

Banned
Time still moves at regular speed during bullet time so you're still losing potential points, it's just not as devastating as a death.

Yeah, but it's a minor penalty as you note. Dying at the wrong time in Pac Man CE can obliterate your run, which I like. It gives the game a rising tension in the middle of the run, because if you have to die in CE, the best times are at the very beginning or the very end.

yyr

Ah, but it's not forgiving at all! The time you waste by getting too close to a ghost just KILLS those Time Attack runs...
...yes, it makes survival a lot easier, but when every second counts, it can be a harsh penalty in itself. This only really comes into play when you're competing for score, but this is a score attack game, so of course you are =)
If you're trying to improve your time by even half a second, the penalty can be far more than minor!

Krejlooc

Banned
What was it about it that disappointed you? I love me some Pac-Man since the beginning of gaming, and played almost every rendition. However, I have been on the fence about this one. And I did not download the Namco ones in Unity because the file size seemed to asinine for me, just for an OG Pac-Man game.

Loved me CE, enjoyed but did not love as much DX.

It felt like there were times in Pac-Man 256 where my score momentum was stopped due to the randomized level design. Sometimes, the only available path for me to take would be one that would break my chain.

Also, the scoring system didn't build up over the course of a run like it does in Pac-man CE. I thought dot counting was a good idea, but it resets at 100. It would have been neat if it had no limit and the level design made breaking the chain feel more like it was always my fault, as opposed to a fault of circumstance.

mollipen

Hopefully CE2 turns out to be equally good as some of my happiest video game moments were dominating the leaderboards on the first two games. ;)

At one point I'd gotten to #8 on the worldwide leaderboards for CE's main mode. The problem at this point is that I just can't seem to beat the high score I've had for years (something around 402k if I remember right).

I desperately want to find a controller that I gel with for the game, because at a certain point I feel like everything I've tried just fails once the speed gets high enough.

At one point I'd gotten to #8 on the worldwide leaderboards for CE's main mode. The problem at this point is that I just can't seem to beat the high score I've had for years (something around 402k if I remember right).

That's a big advantage that DX had IMO - there were so many leaderboards that if you did get stuck on one, you could always take a break and go try to dominate another one. With CE, once you get an amazing score, it could take countless hours before you're able to beat it.

On a related note - to anyone who likes CE & DX, if you haven't already, PLAY MONACO. It's so good and has that same kind of score rush mentality at higher levels of single-player play.

Simbabbad

All right, guys, with the benefit of hindsight: what's the better game-- CE or DX?
Very clearly DX, there's no debate here.

Anyway, this video doesn't tell much about the gameplay mechanics, I'm not too sure what to think yet.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It felt like there were times in Pac-Man 256 where my score momentum was stopped due to the randomized level design. Sometimes, the only available path for me to take would be one that would break my chain.

Also, the scoring system didn't build up over the course of a run like it does in Pac-man CE. I thought dot counting was a good idea, but it resets at 100. It would have been neat if it had no limit and the level design made breaking the chain feel more like it was always my fault, as opposed to a fault of circumstance.

Gotcha. That does sound like it could be frustrating.

Dinjoralo

So... is the Pac-Man Meuseum worth buying on PC for CE? I ain't playing it on a phone, where it will likely run and control like dogshit.

Risette

A Good Citizen
So... is the Pac-Man Meuseum worth buying on PC for CE? I ain't playing it on a phone, where it will likely run and control like dogshit.
It's a pretty low-rent and unprofessional feeling collection but it runs. I'd get it on 360 if possible though.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Can't wait, DAY ZERO

Tho it seems more DX than CE which disappoints me... even tho I love DX(+), CE is the superior PAC-MAN experience which is less a puzzle game and more dexterity-reflex based.

I just got my 1st PS4 Platinum trophy with MS. Pac-Man but god I fuckin' hate playing it with the DS4, already lost the will to chase high-scores: I really need a stick but I'm pissed they won't use the Skullgirls driver to let me play with my PS360 arcade stick...

Also too bad yet another Pac-Man skipping the U, I'd love to offtv play them...

All right, guys, with the benefit of hindsight: what's the better game-- CE or DX?

CE no contest, it's the closest thing to properly tuned for competitive play and *true* PAC-MAN sequel you'll ever see, while making great use of the more advanced tech.
DX is more like a (great) and fun spin-off which focus more on "the fun" and bell&whistles visual treats than the razor-like competitive play offered by CE like it was for Pac and Ms.P

Very clearly DX, there's no debate here.

SUPERLOL

Top Bottom