• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thinking of selling PS4 for Xbox One... Will I regret it?

Would be interested in hearing some opinions on this..

Let me start by saying that my favorite games/series are typically from Nintendo. Over the last few years I've enjoyed my Wii U quite a bit. But, between now and next March, there is not going to be much software output from them. I know I'll more than likely be there day 1 for NX and the new Zelda (I know we don't know what NX is, but it'll play Nintendo games, so I'm in.)

That being said - I've also had a PS4 since shortly after it was released. Looking at my trophies, I can see that a vast majority of the games I've spent time with and enjoyed on my PS4 were multi-platform games that I could have gotten on an Xbox One. Don't get me wrong, my PS4 has been a great system but....

I think I would prefer to play some of the exclusives on Xbox. Games like Forza Horizon, Gears of War, RARE Replay, the HALO series and Dead Rising 3/4 look great. Meanwhile, aside from Horizon: Zero Dawn and No Man's Sky, there isn't all that much upcoming that I'm interested in. As a bonus, most of my friends are on Xbox which means if I ever want to play with them online I'd have to make a switch.

With all the deals going on right now for Xbone, I could basically trade in or sell my PS4, games and controllers and walk away with a Xbone. I could play through a bunch of these exclusives between now and March when NX comes out, then just keep it for the occasional multi-platform I really want (like Red Dead 3...)

I only hesitation is I think I might look back a year from now after some amazing Sony exclusive is announced and seriously regret it. I considered just having both, but I barely have time for 2 consoles let alone 3.

So, what should I do?

(For the record, I don't doubt they are both great systems, so this isn's a system warz thread)

mdsfx

Would be interested in hearing some opinions on this..

Let me start by saying that my favorite games/series are typically from Nintendo. Over the last few years I've enjoyed my Wii U quite a bit. But, between now and next March, there is not going to be much software output from them. I know I'll more than likely be there day 1 for NX and the new Zelda (I know we don't know what NX is, but it'll play Nintendo games, so I'm in.)

That being said - I've also had a PS4 since shortly after it was released. Looking at my trophies, I can see that a vast majority of the games I've spent time with and enjoyed on my PS4 were multi-platform games that I could have gotten on an Xbox One. Don't get me wrong, my PS4 has been a great system but....

I think I would prefer to play some of the exclusives on Xbox. Games like Forza Horizon, Gears of War, RARE Replay, the HALO series and Dead Rising 3/4 look great. Meanwhile, aside from Horizon: Zero Dawn and No Man's Sky, there isn't all that much upcoming that I'm interested in. As a bonus, most of my friends are on Xbox which means if I ever want to play with them online I'd have to make a switch.

With all the deals going on right now for Xbone, I could basically trade in or sell my PS4, games and controllers and walk away with a Xbone. I could play through a bunch of these exclusives between now and March when NX comes out, then just keep it for the occasional multi-platform I really want (like Red Dead 3...)

I only hesitation is I think I might look back a year from now after some amazing Sony exclusive is announced and seriously regret it. I considered just having both, but I barely have time for 2 consoles let alone 3.

So, what should I do?

(For the record, I don't doubt they are both great systems, so this isn's a system warz thread)

I'll sell you my XB1 for $150 :)

Depends on what your preffered exclusives are. Both have a great first party lineup and youll be getting third party games none the less. Id say go for it if you think you may like some microsoft exclusives a bit more

Ibuki

Banned
From the list of X1 exclusives you want to play, and the fact that your friends are on Xbox, it would probably be a good choice for you.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Nope do it. Xbox has great collection of games too. Horizon is next year, you might as well get Neo for that.

If you prefer the exclusives, GO FOR IT.

I regret selling my Xbox One for a PS4, I prefer the Xbone exclusives more. I just got a PS4 because others kept saying it was better in a lot of ways, but I had no fun playing Street Fighter V or Uncharted 4.

Miss my Halo, Gears, and Banjo Kazooie...

It comes down to what exclusives appeal to you. I'd personally stick with your PS4 for now, play No Man's Sky, Horizon, etc. and hold off until there's more info on XBox Scorpio. You'll be able to play all of those XBO games on Scorpio when it hits.

If XB1 has more games that appeal to you, go for it.

Personally, as an owner of all three current gen platforms, I'd sell my XB1 long before I'd get rid of the other two.

If you've looked at the list of exclusives coming for both systems and find that you're more drawn towards Xbox One/Windows 10 exclusives, go for the Xbox.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd definitely choose the PS4. Xbone has some good games, though. Maybe wait it out until the next iterations are released and get one of those.

I think I would prefer to play some of the exclusives on Xbox. Games like Forza Horizon, Gears of War, RARE Replay, the HALO series and Dead Rising 3/4 look great. Meanwhile, aside from Horizon: Zero Dawn and No Man's Sky, there isn't all that much upcoming that I'm interested in.

Answer seems obvious.

120v

xbone vanilla is going to be (relatively) dirt cheap soon. no need to sell your ps4 ... assuming you can swing a couple $100

Jumping Chief

Neo Member
Being mostly on Xbox One, and owning a PS4. I am not disappointed with my Xbox. I'm Halo fan and enjoy the Xbox "exclusives". Most of my friends play on xbox so that a big factor. I do how ever really like Sony's exclusives. Doubtful based on what you said in the op with the time factor and the trade in value it's unlikely, but keep the PS4 for thier exclusives, Xbox for social gaming with friends, and based on your preferences NX as a go to when it launches. Running three consoles seem like a lot, but I have ran two for years now with no problem. Anyway wrap up: do both if you can, if not and you do go Xbox I don't think you will be disappointed.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
You won't regret it one bit.

Let's also not forget, you have a back catalogue of 360 games to enjoy too. Which includes a bunch of Nintendo games!

Battletoads
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Jet Force Gemini
Perfect Dark

and more are all playable on Xbox One.

Xbox Ones are pretty cheap right now, so I don't see a need to sell a PS4 for one unless you're really that hard up for the money.

Some Nobody

If its not a money issue, just buy an XB1. There's nothing worse than the cycle a single console owner goes through when a new exclusive gets announced. From "How long is the contract for" to "What do you mean it's not timed, this isn't a project developed by first party" to "Are you SURE it's not going to be multi-plat later??" to "Exclusives are the dirt worst, companies should stop paying for them. Everyone doesn't have every system.".

It's never fun. So if you're talking about cost then, yeah, do what you have to do. But if you've got money for the XB1 without selling your PS4, just go buy it.

AmuroChan

If you already have a PC then no need to spend money on a X1. Most future X1 exclusives will be cross-play with PC. So even if you don't have an X1, you should be able to play online with your friends.

Grief.exe

Seems like you are going to be well served by exclusives either way, but your friends are on Xbox which would elevate that platform.

Do it.

Kolgar

Sounds like a reasonable decision.

But if possible, keep the PS4. There's always that one game that will come out to make you regret trading away hardware.

Just take advantage of the Xbox deals and enjoy playing its exclusives with your friends.

Don't sell your hardware. Keep your ps4, save money and get an Xbox One S or Scorpio. Admittedly I was a one console person since forever until this generation. I don't know wtf I was thinking missing out on so many Xbox exclusives, let alone Nintendo 1st party stuff.

Don't see myself doing that ever again. From this gen on I'll try to own and experience the exclusives every console offers.

If you already have a PC then no need to spend money on a X1. Most future X1 exclusives will be cross-play with PC. So even if you don't have an X1, you should be able to play online with your friends.

co-op*

if you want to play competitive mp? have fun with a dead community on PC

Unless you really love Japanese games which are mainly skipping the Xbox One, you probably won't regret it too much. Then again, when the next round of Sony first party games comes out and you are reading all of the glowing impressions here on GAF, you might regret selling the PS4. Why not keep the PS4 and wait for a good deal on an Xbone? Microsoft has been great the last few years about deeply discounting the console and bundling games, especially around Black Friday. With the slim revision coming out, you would probably find a good deal on an OG model.

co-op*

if you want to play competitive mp? have fun with a dead community on PC

Play Anywhere means he can play with Xbox users. At least for many of the fall games (Forza Horizon 3, Gears 4; Scalebound also supports this feature but that launches next year).

There really isn't any reason to own an Xbox if you have a gaming PC outside of you just wanting to own an Xbox - all the functionality you would want for the Xbox exclusives is available to PC users now. If OP's concerned with the userbase for competitive MP, he's better off sticking with his PS4.

Bgamer90

Banned
If the games interest you more than do it. You can always go back to PS4 later -- especially since original models should be cheap(er) when the Neo releases.

I have a PS4 and I pretty much feel similar when it comes to upcoming PS4 games I'm interested in right now. It's just Horizon and No Man's Sky. Still iffy on GT Sport. The more I hear about GT Sport, the more it sounds like it will be a disappointment in comparison to the first Gran Turismo games for the previous three PlayStation consoles during their time.

Juanfp

If time is your problem, it could be better to keep the PS4 and buy a Xbox, you can find cheap ones. Like you said maybe in a year or more there will be an exclusive you want to play so the rest of the time you will be playing only in the Xbox and you will have the PS4 when that exclusive arrives.

But if money is also part of the problem, I would sell it and buy the Xbox. I will never trade some exclusive for playing with friends.

Lothars

Yes you will regret it, You can buy an Xbox one for way cheaper, so I would suggest to look for an great deal on an xbox one and do that.

There's no reason to sell the ps4 if there are exclusives you are interested in.

The more I read the responses, the more I think the right answer is to just have both.

I've been saying for years that I wouldn't go back to owning all of the consoles again since I have less time to play games... but that's the only way I get my cake and eat it too.

Thanks for all the responses. Much appreciated.

Begaria

You get the system for the games you want to play. If that's Xbox One games, then you get an Xbox One. Pretty simple.

Bizzquik

Used Xbox Ones are so cheap these days. Buy an xbox and keep the playstation.

Yup. With the Xbox One S making some people want to upgrade, you're in a buyer's market when it comes to used Xbox One's.

Or, if averse to buying an old console, buy a new Xbox One in one of the numerous rolling deals going on as the company makes way for the S.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Don't sell the PS4 but save up little by little and get an Xbox when you can. No need to rush, you can play its great exclusives in a year just as well.

Top Bottom