• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best "director's cut" version of a game?

The extras were nice and the Chao garden was much improved but I found the core game more enjoyable on the Dreamcast, I think it's mostly because of the ultra shiny character models on GC but the game just feels a bit different.

It was a port of a four-year-old game that had already aged rather poorly.

mgs3s_coverjap.jpg

* added 3D camera which felt like a new experience if you've played the vanilla first
* boss encounter select
* more snake vs monkey
* cutscene viewer
* online play
* MSX metal gear games

Yep.

Jebral

Ah, the Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut. Such welcome improvements coupled with things that make me want to headbutt a wall. If I could play the issue free original except with the revamped boss fights, that would be ideal. But no, I have to put up with the potential of glitches, no pee filter and the DLC shoe-horned in. I just beat the first boss in the DC, but I think I'm going to restart in vanilla like a crazy person that gets caught up in the minor aggravating details.

butman

My personal favorite.

They addressed almost every issue of the original game, fixed up a ton of glitches, improved the graphics, added in two additional new characters and lengthy quests, improved the lock-on and camera, and generally improved upon the original Castlevania 64 in every single way.

I think it's a bit of a shame so few people played it and "ha ha, Castlevania 64 sucks" is the dominate impressions of the 3D games. It's not perfect, but it's a massive improvement over the original.

It was the same game? I remember that LoD was a completly different game to Castlevania 64.

Wichu

I already thought Gen 4 was great thanks to DP but Platinum was on a whole new level. Favorite Pokémon game ever, nothing will ever come close.
I like that it took place during Winter, added a lot of charm to the region.

Diamond and Pearl honestly aged pretty poorly. I'd probably put them as my least favourite mainline Pokémon games.

Platinum is the real deal though. Fixed everything wrong with Diamond/Pearl and added a ton of new and awesome content. I'm not sure if it's my favourite, but it's definitely up there.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence

They unfucked the camera

I remember playing the demo for MGS3 back in the day, and the camera was simply abhorrent. Subsistence just makes the game so much better.
To this day I have never played MGS3 with the Subsistence camera, even though Subsistence is the only version of MGS3 I have played. I suppose I want to play the game it got released as, but that's not a stance I normally take.

bman94

The extras were nice and the Chao garden was much improved but I found the core game more enjoyable on the Dreamcast, I think it's mostly because of the ultra shiny character models on GC but the game just feels a bit different.

The DX models never really bothered me but I never felt like it played differently to me.

It was a port of a four-year-old game that had already aged rather poorly.

Holds up well to me.

Aters

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time DC (known only has the normal title outside of Japan)
logo.jpg

The previous version of the game was pretty much unplayable.

Come here to post this. The original game makes Bethesda games look flawless. A pile of bugs and glitches.

Also. FFXII Internatinal. I mean, Turbo Mode!

Disgraced

Disagreed regarding DE: HR. The PC version is shitty and I actually think its art design is lesser for removing the "piss" filter. It's part of the game's identity and it looks desaturated without it.

Zeta Oni

soul-sacrifice-dated-north-america-box-art.jpg

cover_large.jpg

Turns a good idea but overall mediocre monster hunting game into one of the best in the genre.

Adds in a ridiculous amount of content, including a complete new ending, new chapters/side stories, a new "neutral" side to pledge allegiance too, alice's maze (which is a bit like a monster hunter with a fighting games survival mode), new monsters, and most importantly new badass spells. Resolution was increased, graphics were enhanced, and Spells were re-balanced.

There is no reason to ever play the original version, unless you wanna truly appreciate going from one to the other. Even then, you can just download the demo for Te original and see the massive visual difference.

mgs3s_coverjap.jpg

* added 3D camera which felt like a new experience if you've played the vanilla first
* boss encounter select
* more snake vs monkey
* cutscene viewer
* online play
* MSX metal gear games

My pick as well. The Subsistence camera alone makes it a completely different game. I had quite a bit of trouble getting into MGS3 the first time around (compared to the games prior at least), but thankfully this release was everything I wanted and more from Snake Eater.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
MGS3:Subsistence improved upon everything but the cover art for the original was boss. 16 year old me grabbed that from the shelf so fast and introduced me to the MGs series.

250px-Mgs3box.jpg

Boss of all time.

Kaztinka

MGS3 Subsistence
DMC3 Special edition
DmC:DE (fixed alot of issues, but there are still many problems)
P3 Portable (I CAN CONTROL MY PARTY FUCK YEAH!)
&
DMC4 Special Edition
sure I completely agree with TheGamingBrit when he said "DMC4 is like a house with one bathroom that now 5 people are living in"
but.... damn Vergil & the girls are so fun to use!

sn00zer

A lot of these are "made a great game better" I like "made an average game awesome"

Kh2: Final Mix made an okay game one of the best ever
DmC Special Edition made DmC worth of the DMC name

Spectone

My nostalgia driven answer is Pokemon Yellow.

Pokemon_Yellow.png

I was at a birthday party and there was a boy playing Pokemon Red. I thought that looks like fun so I bought myself a GBC, Tetris, Zelda and Pokemon Yellow.

I still have the boxes for all three but am missing the cartridges and Gameboy.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut featured:
updated controls, stereoscopic 3D, updated HD visuals, PlayStation Move support, downloadable content including various pre-order bonuses, and additional scenarios. It adds a frame story of an elderly Zach narrating the plot of Deadly Premonition to his granddaughter, Michelle Louise Morgan. Plus it had an extended ending.

Best experience you can have with this game.

I'd say Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix, and it may not count, but I'd say specifically KH2FM+.

So KH2FM was a Japanese rerelease of the NA version of KH2 with a LOT of new additions:

- New "Critical" difficulty mode
- New drive form
- New collectible side quest
- LOTS of new cutscenes including a new secret movie by Visual Works
- TONS of new optional bosses:
*Boss fights with the 5 absent Org XIII members from Chain of Memories
*Mushroom XIII. Literally 13 gimmick battles
*Boss fight with Lingering Will (preview of a future game)
-Boss fight with Roxas that seemed to have been cut from the original version of the game
-Theater Mode so you can watch all previously seen cutscenes in either English or Japanese
-Special ultra hard area that actually has a lot of cool platforming that concludes with a room where you can refight all members of Organization XIII in an ultra hard mode.
- Lots of random challenges added throughout
- Graphical polish to a lot of characters
- New songs from Yoko Shimomura
- New costumes for Sora and co

ANNNNNNNDDD

The "+" in Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix + referred to the fact that it also included a full 3D PS2 remake of Chain of Memories which was previously exclusive to GBA. And not only was that a full remake complete with cutscenes, voice acting, and a redone soundtrack, but they also added a new final boss phase.

So yeah. I have to say that's about as big a director's cut as a I can think of.

I remember being so upset back when this was announced because this was back when Square refused to bring the enhanced versions of their games over to the west.

mgs3s_coverjap.jpg

* boss encounter select
* more snake vs monkey
* cutscene viewer
* online play
* MSX metal gear games

This is it for me too, I love the original MGS 3 but this one made it even better with the behind snake third-person camera view. Also the Deus Ex:HR was good too once it got patched up on PC.

Ninja Gaiden Black.
The GOAT
Remixes the campaign, changing enemies and encounters for each difficulty, added mission mode and is the definitive version.

I'd have to go with MGS Subsistence as well, just completely changed the game and completely justified a second purchase. Ninja Gaiden Black is a great suggestion too though.

It is the definitive version of MGS.

I don't hate Twin Snakes, but there is simply no way a non-Kojima directed game, with shoe-horned mechanics and cutscenes the totally misunderstand the series' over the top style, could ever be a "definitive" version of MGS.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think I'd call it the best, but Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call must be mentioned. Made the original version obsolete (minus one song's absence) by adding so much.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I remember being so upset back when this was announced because this was back when Square refused to bring the enhanced versions of their games over to the west.
It only took nearly a decade for us to get it.

hlhbk

I'd have to go with MGS Subsistence as well, just completely changed the game and completely justified a second purchase. Ninja Gaiden Black is a great suggestion too though.

I don't hate Twin Snakes, but there is simply no way a non-Kojima directed game, with shoe-horned mechanics and cutscenes the totally misunderstand the series' over the top style, could ever be a "definitive" version of MGS.

You do realize the radical changes were forced by Kojima right?

NekoFever

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence

They unfucked the camera

I remember playing the demo for MGS3 back in the day, and the camera was simply abhorrent. Subsistence just makes the game so much better.
Yeah, I'm going with this. I gave up on Snake Eater after a couple of hours (a few screens beyond the beginning of Operation Snake Eater IIRC) because the semi-fixed camera that was workable in right-angled corridors just didn't work in the more organic environments. Then Subsistence came out and, lo and behold, MGS3 is one of my favourite games.

Kind of annoying because I was so excited for Snake Eater that I dropped £60 on the import.

Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut fixed some very annoying things about the original. A genuine upgrade.

Bad example. It was built on an unpatched version of the original and brings back framerate and performance issues, dozens of bugs and many more problems that were originally fixed. Original version wins.

I'll say this... the game is still very flawed, but that's mostly due to how it's dated and aged over time (it's been over 16 years, after all), though it still had some rough patches there even at release. It's not exactly a homerun, but I found it to be far better than reputation would imply (and most of that reputation is based on the original Castlevania 64).

BUT, in my opinion, compared to the original, it's a gargantuan improvement in every area. Let me summarize:
+ 2 new playable characters, both with unique mechanics (a transforming werewolf and a shotgun-totting knight)
+ New stories, new cutscenes/characters
+ 4 new stages, plus many of the original stages from C64 have been improved and redesigned
+ 8+ new bosses
+ 2 new costumes for every character
+ new minor enemies
+ new weapon effects and particle effects added
+ new music (sinking old sanctuary remix is great)
+ new sub-weapon system
+ slightly sharper graphics (even without the expansion pack)
+ tighter controls and better jumping/platforming mechanics
+ more responsive, more customizable, more reliable, less buggy camera with better angles
+ Bugs/glitches fixed from the original

- Malus' Violin song from the original is missing
- Giant skeleton jump scare removed
- sparkling snow crystals removed from Tower of Sorcery
- No voice acting except for Cornell's intro narration

But you can tell this was meant to be the true "definitive" version of Castlevania 64. The original Castlevania 64 campaigns are unlocked in the game in their entirety with additional new stages, bosses, and mechanics as well.

Also, the game isn't that expensive. I bought my copy awhile back on ebay for around $30, complete in box with instructions.

I'd like to frame this post.

Legacy of Darkness is my pick as well. Castlevania 64 is completely obsolete unless you are an insane completionist and want to see a few alternate level layouts (mostly for the worse).

Shadow Hearts Covenant: Director's Cut

After the release of the original game, a director's cut version was released in Japan. The Director's Cut included:

- The Sea of Woods optional dungeon
- The Nahasu Temple Dungeon (played after the Neam Ruins)
- Veronica Vera and Rene (Lenny) Curtis as playable characters
- Extra scenes between Veronica and Lucia in Goreme Valley, the Curry men at the Yokohama Warehouses, and Lucia and Anastasia in Florence
- Panda/Kappa weapon for Yuri
- New "Beautiful Fool" dress for Cornelia
- "The Oath" scene between Yuri and Alice is prerendered
- Trailer for Shadow Hearts: From the New World

Changes also include some new music tracks, a slightly bigger Judgment Ring, and support for the PlayStation 2 HDD.

petran79

Banned
Worms: Director's Cut.

An Amiga swan song exclusive, perhaps the best first gen Worms game. It even featured custom level editing via Dpaint.

Top Bottom