• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oppo

A Nintendo portable device with two-player local multiplayer?

Colour me intrigued.

oh man. nice pull

I'm trying to visualize - controllers with cords? would be problematic for inevitable repairs. two separate wireless thingies that can attach? what if you lose one? is there a new controller spec for NX that 3rd parties can make for it?

this only raises new questions

Bookended by two controllers?
Eq0wdHl.png

...huh.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm a fan. Lots more Nintendo games, presumably strong Japanese support, giving up on the white whale of hardcore Western gamers coming back to the system.

Oersted

Will it at least be more powerful than Wii U?

I'm all for it, but I don't want a weaker system.

It being portable makes me feel like we'll get something that isn't too capable.

Hold up, ain't Breath of The Wild rumored to be on this thing? :O

I'm having a hard time picturing that running on a handheld...

Announced, not rumoured.

ekim

I kind of like the idea. Surely they are not trying to compete with Sony or MS at this stage which is kind of a bummer. Interesting to see Zelda will be improved compared to the WiiU version. But still: the idea is very good. They are really after the blue ocean.

I'm off to work, just wanted to mention I sealed enveloped this information with a few GAFers a while ago. If they want to come forward, that's up to them.

JordanN

Banned
Tegra, less powerful than PS4 and Xbox One - in 2017. Day One though....

That's not news.
The news is MS and Sony are bringing out 6 Teraflop and 4 Teraflop machines respectively.

So whatever power Nintendo would have went for, it still would have been weaker.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
One of the major issues with the Wii U was lack of 3rd party ports. Basically turning the console into a '2nd console' rather than a Primary one for most people.

This is only going to be worse for the NX if this is true.

How? The article specifically states it could handle ports with a Tegra X1, and most likely the final chip will be an X2 (hence the active cooling and fan).

Even OsirisBlack said it could easily get ports.

Asd202

I like this for numerous reasons.

1) Eliminates software drought. Nintendo can't support two libraries.
2) System will get easy ports from PS4/XB1
3) Two detachable controllers gives plenty of possibilities for control schemes.

It's true but it's going to be left behind in 2 years time after release with PS5 and maybe even Scorpio.

Escalario

Banned
So this basically confirms that the DQXI port is the 3DS version. And the Sonic 2017 game is most likely also a dumbed down version. Ayyy lmao.

A high powered handheld is what I wanted the most from Nintendo, ao this is really exciting to me. Can't see alot of third parties jumping on this though.

Kintor

Banned
It's bad move for Nintendo to once again offer hardware with less power then their competitors. By using a Tegra chip the NX will be less powerful then the PS4 and Xbox One, to say nothing of the PS4 NEO and the Xbox Scorpio. At this rate Nintendo will never get decent third-party support ever again.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
you and everyone else in the world call it. Congrats.

I'm really glad about this, we already have 2 powerful consoles and PC's for all of our graphic kicks. I like they are doing something different, will give me a reason to look at it.

Not 2 years ago they didn't.

Sorry, go into any NX thread and see me beating the NX drum only to have nearly everyone shoot it down outside a small handful who agreed.

there was also that supplemental computing device patent that's likely to be used for making the NX more powerful when docked.

That's what I was hoping for when I read the title, something like the MS Surface and the keyboard thingy.

Because if it ain't gonna receive more power when connected to the TV it'll be hopelessly underpowered for my taste. Interesting stuff!

Menitta

I just want them to reveal the fucking product. I'm so sick of this speculation game. REVEAL IT NINTENDO HOLY FUCK!!!

Mariolee

So this basically confirms that the DQXI port is the 3DS version. And the Sonic 2017 game is most likely also a dumbed down version. Ayyy lmao.

What. Are you joking?
You think we're gonna play the 3DS DQXI port on a television with those graphics?

Ayy lmao indeed.

Xieldos

Sounds like a more refined and focused version of the Wii U. It's almost like they're trying to right the wrongs of the Wii U and its limitations.

I'm in. Can't wait.

Branduil

Absolutely

Also, I'm confused. This plan seems... smart and logical. Why would Nintendo do this?

Hybrid console seems like the opposite of logical to me, compared to the alternative of separate handheld and home consoles which play the same games.

jonno394

Intrigued to find out more. Seems Nintendo are trying to keep a stranglehold on the remaining handheld market while still servicing the few people who actually want a Nintendo home console.

If they can sell 40-50m (which is still less than the 3DS) I'm sure they'll be more than happy

vareon

So this NX is basically a handheld with TV output? Sounds OK to me.

And with what Nintendo said the last few years it's based on a single architecture whatever form it takes, so technically they can introduce new hardwares without losing compatibility from now on?

Meh. If I wanted a handheld I'd fucking buy one. It's disappointing that we're going to get a gimped console so that it can double as a handheld. Many, many consumers, myself included, don't want a handheld. We want a full fledged console. Why force the consumer to buy both? Especially when it means gimping the home console with mobile hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom