• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunty (The person in charge of the Sonic 25th stream) Spoke up about the stream

c22551a3ca6dcb83211953d472375b28.png

839507a259a22394bd44c0f5a4735a77.png

Pretty much what I'm getting here is that Sega hired him to produce the stream and while he did his best to address the issues, the mixer output and audio interface got blown out by a feedback signal from FoH. Also he worked for over a month on this so major props to him.

Seems interesting how this happened and I honestly feel bad for him.

Yeah livestream productions are a fucking nightmare, I'll never do them again

Kudos to this guy for getting at least something together

blamite

I thought it was a pretty good stream overall. Not for the intended reasons but it was definitely entertaining at least. The buzz was s but if a bummer but honestly it didn't even bother me that much at all.

Feel bad for him but don't produce a show and then let random people and groups into your hardware and get it all setup and tested a few days, or hours at least, before the start.

If you fail to do that, well, then you aren't really a professional yet since I guarantee he will never, ever allow random tech and people into his chain in the future and will ensure that is part of the contract.

So basically, sounds like some unfortunate accidents and some mismanagement from the higherups. Pretty much what I expected. I feel for the guy though, sounds like it wasn't his fault at all.

While that stream started rough, by the end it was surprisingly enjoyable. Had some moments we could look back on and laugh at, the two reveals were really cool, and Crush 40 put on a good show. I thought it'd be a disaster but by the end it was memorable. Honestly in a weird way, it was pretty much exactly what a Sonic 25th anniversary event should've been.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I feel bad for him. Sounds like he got a dream gig and everything went wrong.

jabuseika

You always have a backup plan.

I've worked in audio set up for bands.

But, if everything did go wrong, and he salvaged it, kudos.

Also, what kind of equipment are you using that feedback is a problem. Simple frequency blocking should have been first priority if you recognize the set up is not ideal.

SMG

I feel bad for him. Sounds like he got a dream gig and everything went wrong.

From the bits I have seen even if it had gone to plan it would have been lame.
Live music on a stage smaller than a bathroom infront of a bunch of people not really into it, a guy in a Sonic costume ('cus thats always entertaining).
The only thing worth a damn were the trailers and they are best served by being posted directly on YT.

TimmiT

From the bits I have seen even if it had gone to plan it would have been lame.
Live music on a stage smaller than a bathroom infront of a bunch of people not really into it, a guy in a Sonic costume ('cus thats always entertaining).
The only thing worth a damn were the trailers and they are best served by being posted directly on YT.

Except people were into it, the stream just didn't capture the audience audio: https://twitter.com/boxerhockey/status/757402049776541696

According to his own tweet, he was hired to produce the stream, which seems like maybe a little bit of a bigger deal than just "helping out."

Pretty much, I'll go ahead and make that small change to the thread but I know that he played a big role with the stream and SEGA asked him to produce it.

Except people were into it, the stream just didn't capture the audience audio: https://twitter.com/boxerhockey/status/757402049776541696

I could tell that people were into as well, it's just that the stream audio didn't pick it up which I found to be odd.

Menitta

I feel really bad for him. Putting in work towards something only to have a show that people laugh at. People did get enjoyment out of it in the end, but it couldn't be in the way he imagined. Such a shame.

Opa-Pa

I thought this was going to be less about technical issues and uuh more about how improvised and wacky everything felt, I mean those Tontino's segments lol.

Either way, and not even trying to be snarky here, the bizarre quality of the whole thing is the reason it'll take years before I can forget about it, the stream was Konami E3 tier. Loved it.

Yoo this is great! I was feeling a bit bad during the Crush 40 segment at times because it sounded like not everyone was enjoying it.

The encoding was off from the start, anything that moved became a jpg mess and this was at 4000kbps going by twitch stats, I feel sorry for them but at the same time could they not test stream from the location a few hours prior?

Kinsei

Banned
I thought this was going to be less about technical issues and uuh more about how improvised and wacky everything felt, I mean those Tontino's segments lol.

Either way, and not even trying to be snarky here, the bizarre quality of the whole thing is the reason it'll take years before I can forget about it, the stream was Konami E3 tier. Loved it.

Yoo this is great! I was feeling a bit bad during the Crush 40 segment at times because it sounded like not everyone was enjoying it.

If you're the type of person to go to a Sonic event like that then you're most the type of person that will love seeing rush 40 and Jun Senoue live. I figured it was just due to there not being any crowd mics.

It's a real shame that the awesome announcement and private demo of Sonic Mania and the trailer for Project Sonic 2017 got largely ignored by people outside of the "fanbase" and the streaming issues and a few cringey moments are what the not-at-all-tiring people that never stop shitting on Sonic focused on. A particular shame that Jim Sterling took a dump over it (and likely won't stop doing so anytime soon) despite him making a video a year and a half ago asking for Sega to be more consistent with the brand. That's what they're doing now but "lol wasn't this stream funny, guys?".

It's a real shame that the awesome announcement and private demo of Sonic Mania and the trailer for Project Sonic 2017 got largely ignored by people outside of the "fanbase" and the streaming issues and a few cringey moments are what the not-at-all-tiring people that never stop shitting on Sonic focused on. A particular shame that Jim Sterling took a dump over it (and likely won't stop doing so anytime soon) despite him making a video a year and a half ago asking for Sega to be more consistent with the brand. That's what they're doing now but "lol wasn't this stream funny, guys?".

C'mon, you have to admit with all the missteps Sonic has made over the years, an extended livestream full of mishaps for the anniversary is hilariously poetic. We all want a Sonic game to become truly critically acclaimed in the next installments because we do love it. It's just part of that love comes from the silly stuff, for me at least.

Also GilvaSunner continues to do excellent work. I just can't believe a
mostly
goddamn all-audio youtube channel now has a story arc on top of all it's bullshit.

It's really easy to make fun of mistakes of a big event like this, but I first handedly know that technology and practice doesn't always make for a perfect "Showtime" event.

If something can go wrong, it probably will. Any bit of your tech could break at any second.

There's lots of variables that could have happened.

Overall, it was weird and awkward, but I enjoyed it.

Amateurs. Good to see they owned up to the mistake (or did they?).

Hire me next time, Sega. I own all the equipment and won't blame any tech guy or rental store for my shortcomings and failure to test it all.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The buzzing was the most notable obvious problem, but all the cringe and terrible stuff wasn't tied to that. I guess its also now obvious why the Sonic twitter account hides behind memes and stuff most of the time because everyone is socially awkward as all get-out. HEY BUDDY.

I dunno what that Hyper Potions shit was at the start, but two dorks half-dancing to mp3's on a macbook is not...a thing. Or at least it shouldn't be a thing.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I was always sympathetic to it.

No one puts that much effort into a show only to get lazy with the sound quality. Something obviously messed up and it wasn't possible to fix in the moment.

Top Bottom