• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Xbox One S impressions from a lucky Norwegian

Cider X

Wondering if HDR in games is a few years too early. Inout lag seems to be a big problem and most sets force themselves into a set mode when they detect HDR content so you can't bypass processing etc.

This is an excellent observation. Most HDR sets available today have around 80-100 ms input lag when processing the image, which is useless for gaming. This will be interesting.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
It looks great and I don't have an Xbone. All signs point to "buy it"....

..... But Scorpio.

This is exactly how I feel, and on current rumours the Scorpio should comfortably outperform the Neo. I'll sit and wait a while, my gaming budget is not what it used to be..

Noobcraft

This is an excellent observation. Most HDR sets available today have around 80-100 ms input lag when processing the image, which is useless for gaming. This will be interesting.
Hopefully it puts some pressure onto TV manufacturers to design faster displays with HDR.

Scrawnton

I have a Samsung SUHDTV and when I have its dynamic contrast set to high I still have no noticeable input lag. It's actually still feels faster than my old 1080p Insignia in game mode and I never had an issue with that.

Cider X

I have a Samsung SUHDTV and when I have its dynamic contrast set to high I still have no noticeable input lag. It's actually still feels faster than my old 1080p Insignia in game mode and I never had an issue with that.

Well that's good to hear. Funny how Samsung are now kings of input lag while Sony's newer models are struggling a bit. Used to be the other way around.

Scrawnton

Well that's good to hear. Funny how Samsung are now kings of input lag while Sony's newer models are struggling a bit. Used to be the other way around.

The first day I had the TV I had buyers remorse because the input lag was terribly and I couldn't find a "game mode" but on day two I found it buried randomly in a menu and the tv became much snappier than any tv I've played on since switching to HD gaming. It feels really good. I like keeping my dynamic range on high because it really adds good contrast to colors but with PS4 and Xbox One it makes the darks too dark and they start blending together. Hoping Xbox One S takes advantage of it better.

And for people who don't have a 4K tv; the upscaling is insane in these things. I play FF14 on my living room PS4 (4K tv) and my bedroom PS4 (1080p tv) and the resolution difference is night and day. Even 720p Wii U games (and some xbone games) look super crisp on it.

gaming_noob

Ok, then your battle is in that thread warrior, stop shitting up this thread as no one mentioned it (except for you) in this thread.

Oh, wait.....I forgot who I was talking too..........

Conduit is a sad, sad individual who should be permed by now, IMO.

iMax

I think what your not understanding is 4k content is still not a standard. I work in broadcast, and we haven't even started looking up bigger microwave's and Transmitters to send 4k, and HDR streams. If anything they may not even be by transmitter, most of it may be bandwidth based as we have fiber up at our transmitter.

It's still going to be 5-10 years before you see CBS having 4k programming. Maybe HDR may come first, but it's still a ways off.

We have live 4K programming the UK already delivered over fibre and Sky are launching their full, multichannel 4K satellite service publicly in just over a week.

tommyguns

Dynamic contrast is not the same as HDR? Everywhere I've read, once you play HDR content on an HDR tv, the input lag jumps up noticeably.

I cancelled my pre-order the other day once I realised the Gears S has the Ultimate Edition digital copy of the game.

Gears 4 Ultimate digital is $139AU. By buying the Gears S, I'm getting it for $49AU. It's a fucking no brainer.

I don't know man, I had the Gears 3 Xbox 360 and even I think the Xbox One S Gears 4 console looks like absolute garbage.

I just traded my PS4 and XboxOne and pre-ordered the 2TB model. I was going to just get the 500GB but I forget that it doesn't come out for another three weeks, those sneaky MS bastards!

Also hoping that the Neo does actually release this year, otherwise I'm gonna be fucked with no No Man's Sky or Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Dynamic contrast is not the same as HDR? Everywhere I've read, once you play HDR content on an HDR tv, the input lag jumps up noticeably.

Dynamic contrast and HDR are not the same. I could be wrong but I don't see why HDR content being played on an HDR tv would increase input lag.

Dynamic contrast is the TV adjusting the brightness of the picture to enhance darker/brighter scenes but HDR is the TV being able to display a wider color range than what was normally possible.

Scrawnton

Dynamic contrast and HDR are not the same. I could be wrong but I don't see why HDR content being played on an HDR tv would increase input lag.

Dynamic contrast is the TV adjusting the brightness of the picture to enhance darker/brighter scenes but HDR is the TV being able to display a wider color range than what was normally possible.

So o need my confusion cleared up. Reviews and product information say my tv is HDR compatible. But there's no option for it to be turned on. Is it something that just automatically activates depending on the signal it receives?

ps3ud0

That's something. Just trying to work out what the 1.8A means when the first PS4 was rated as 1.15-2.5A (250W rating) and the latest CUH-1200 model is rated 0.95-2.3A (230W rating).

120 volts X 1.8A = 216W is how I thought it was worked out but doing the same at 240 volts would mean it = 432W!?.....I'm either missing something here or I'm confused (both, probably!)

If the PSU is close to 200W though it would be evidence the S is still at 28nm.
If I understand correctly the XOS is 180W from what youve written

ps3ud0 8)

So o need my confusion cleared up. Reviews and product information say my tv is HDR compatible. But there's no option for it to be turned on. Is it something that just automatically activates depending on the signal it receives?

It's something that automatically turns on when you play something in HDR.

LG HDR compatible TVs will give you a notification when HDR content is being displayed but I think Samsung just displays it with no warning.

What model is your SUHD? I have the JS8500 and when I watch something that is HDR it turns the brightness and contrast all the way up and when I go back to watching normal TV it adjusts to what I have it calibrated too.

MrBenchmark

People should research before assuming because I've seen over at the AVS forums that many of the TV's that have HDR can do it even in game mode. So do your research and don't assume things.

People should research before assuming because I've seen over at the AVS forums that many of the TV's that have HDR can do it even in game mode. So do your research and don't assume things.

I'm not saying HDR content can't be played in game mode. It very well could be. Usually Game mode turns off alot of the post processing settings. But since HDR is coming from the source it should still be find in terms of input lag.

MrBenchmark

make sure your TV has a HDMI 2/HDCP 2.2 compliant port that is a requirement for this all to work.

MrBenchmark

I'm not saying HDR content can't be played in game mode. It very well could be. Usually Game mode turns off alot of the post processing settings. But since HDR is coming from the source it should still be find in terms of input lag.

sorry i was adding to and agreeing with you not correcting you. guess i should be more clear.

Scrawnton

It's something that automatically turns on when you play something in HDR.

LG HDR compatible TVs will give you a notification when HDR content is being displayed but I think Samsung just displays it with no warning.

What model is your SUHD? I have the JS8500 and when I watch something that is HDR it turns the brightness and contrast all the way up and when I go back to watching normal TV it adjusts to what I have it calibrated too.

I have a 60inch JS7000. It's a beautiful tv.

Scrawnton

All of your HDMI ports should be HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 compliant. So you will be able to get HDR on the One S.

Nice. Now I need to decide if I'm gonna splurge on the 2tb version or wait for reviews and get the 500gb version in a few weeks. I already have a 2tb external.

Papacheeks

Banned
We have live 4K programming the UK already delivered over fibre and Sky are launching their full, multichannel 4K satellite service publicly in just over a week.

Yea, not talking UK love.

CBS, NBC, ABC E!, MTV all not doing 4k over here in the states. UK also has the best internet of any region to my knowledge. Over here in the states only couple providers even provide over 100mpbs.

It still going to be a while before you see Big bang theory in 4k.

Hawk269

The first day I had the TV I had buyers remorse because the input lag was terribly and I couldn't find a "game mode" but on day two I found it buried randomly in a menu and the tv became much snappier than any tv I've played on since switching to HD gaming. It feels really good. I like keeping my dynamic range on high because it really adds good contrast to colors but with PS4 and Xbox One it makes the darks too dark and they start blending together. Hoping Xbox One S takes advantage of it better.

And for people who don't have a 4K tv; the upscaling is insane in these things. I play FF14 on my living room PS4 (4K tv) and my bedroom PS4 (1080p tv) and the resolution difference is night and day. Even 720p Wii U games (and some xbone games) look super crisp on it.

Is your Samsung HDR though? If it is not, the Xbox S wont be doing much for you in regard to HDR.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Nice. Now I need to decide if I'm gonna splurge on the 2tb version or wait for reviews and get the 500gb version in a few weeks. I already have a 2tb external.
Just spend the extra $100 on games. Forza Horizon 3 + Inside + another indie.

Hawk269

I guess the real question here is how is anyone able to gauge this if there have not been any HDR enabled games as of yet? I game on console and PC on my HDR enabled Sony set and there has been nothing released that triggers the HDR mode. The only time my HDR mode is enabled is when using the Samsung UHD player or streaming the limited 4k HDR content from Amazon & Netflix. To date, there is no game enabled HDR, so not sure how or where you are reading that it does this.

I am not saying it does will not happen, just curious where this information is coming from since we have yet to see HDR gaming on a HDR enabled set in the general public.

Hawk269

The reason there is speculation that it will add input lag is that on many sets, when HDR is engaged, the TV forces certain processing/image enhancing processes. In most cases, you as the end user cannot turn these off. Certain processing/image enhancers create more input lag. Not having the ability to turn some of these off could in theory add more input lag when HDR is enabled. We don't have any HDR games to fully test this to be sure, but I know when I play a HDR movie, my set detects this and switches to HDR mode and there are very limited things I can change, most are greyed out and I cannot change them.

I'd wait. I originally pre-ordered both the 2tb and 500gb bundle. If the wait was a two or so months I was going to get the 2tb but since it's only a 2 week difference I'll save the extra $100 and sell Halo 5 and the MCC and pocket a few extra bucks.

THE:MILKMAN

If I understand correctly the XOS is 180W from what youve written

ps3ud0 8)

I think the missing part is the range of amps. On PS4 it ranges from 0.95A to 2.3A but on the XOS it just has 1.8A. I guess we'll have to wait for iFixit to tear it down before we find out for sure. No one that has one early seems to care enough about these tech details.

Is your Samsung HDR though? If it is not, the Xbox S wont be doing much for you.

Someone asked this question at RTINGS:

On the review under HDR the web page is saying unavailable. I just want to confirm that this set is HDR compatible like the other Samsung SUHD models.

The JS7000 is compatible in the way that it will display a picture with an HDR signal but since it doesn't have a full array backlight, it won't be able to produce better contrast on different part of the screen. Because of this, it's implementation make our HDR test irrelevant.

Hawk269

I am still waiting to hear if the internal HDD's on any of the Xbox S systems uses Sata III versus Sata 2 of the original Xbox One and PS4. With them improving the HDMI ports and other things, I really hope they improved the Sata as well since using a external with USB 3.0 you get better load times on the OG Xbox One.

ps3ud0

I think the missing part is the range of amps. On PS4 it ranges from 0.95A to 2.3A but on the XOS it just has 1.8A. I guess we'll have to wait for iFixit to tear it down before we find out for sure. No one that has one early seems to care enough about these tech details.
Well the assumption is that 1.8A is the max of the range as it would be silly to be the min and so that would match with the lower voltage range (so 100V) which is where I get 180W from...

ps3ud0 8)

Well the assumption is that 1.8A is the max of the range as it would be silly to be the min and so that would match with the lower voltage range (so 100V) which is where I get 180W from...

ps3ud0 8)

Oh...I thought in the US the standard was 120V.

ps3ud0

Oh...I thought in the US the standard was 120V.
The PSU is rated 100V-240V so I used that figure - tbh Im not clued up with this, but for some reason it makes sense to me.

EDIT: Youll find the lower amperage is about 0.75A if my reasoning checks out...

ps3ud0 8)

The PSU is rated 100V-240V so I used that figure - tbh Im not clued up with this, but for some reason it makes sense to me.

EDIT: Youll find the lower amperage is about 0.75A if my reasoning checks out...

ps3ud0 8)

I think I've got it now. Amps halve with double voltage.

So a nominal 120V (1.8A) or 240V (0.9A) will mean a PSU rating of 216W. The original Xbox One's PSU was rated at 12V 17.9A (reduced in later revisions) which is 215W. If this new box was at 14nm I would think it would be lower rated?

If my maths/understanding is right that is......

ps3ud0

I think I've got it now. Amps halve with double voltage.

So a nominal 120V (1.8A) or 240V (0.9A) will mean a PSU rating of 216W. The original Xbox One's PSU was rated at 12V 17.9A (reduced in later revisions) which is 215W. If this new box was at 14nm I would think it would be lower rated?

If my maths/understanding is right that is......
You need to consider the whole range the PSU is rated at not just 120V since there are countries that use 100V (Japan is only one I know). Knowing that coupled with basic IV=P fills in the blanks...

Regards what the XOS draws, well thats something that will be tested, as I havent got a clue about the load (rail) characteristics and where the PSU is most efficient. I dont think what the PSU is rated at gives you the whole picture to attempt to reason what process the APU is using.

ps3ud0 8)

aaronwt

How much power does the XBOne S actually draw? The Power supply ratings really aren't going to tell you much. You need to put a watt meter on the system.

I pre-ordered the 500GB version so I won't be getting that for several weeks. A lower power draw is one of the most appealing aspects to me.

Hopefully it puts some pressure onto TV manufacturers to design faster displays with HDR.

It won't. IMO console manufacturers have been dropping the balls, they should work together to create a gaming display standard to ensure low input latency on all TVs. Ever since TV's introduced the motion smoothing garbage, latency has been a shitshow on most TV's out of the box, and whenever I've gone to a gaming expo, most of the TV's there have so much input lag that I find it unplayable. I wonder if bad tv latency could be turning off millions of people from becoming serious gamers.

Hawk269

I feel so out of the loop. What exactly is HDR and why is it suddenly important?

HDR or High Dynamic Range offers a bigger color gamut than traditional displays. Images are brighter, more color and better black/contrast ratios. Many people consider HDR a bigger impact on image (for movies) than 4k resolution. With 4k resolution + HDR movies are really breathtaking. I have owned 4k sets since they came out and while I think 4k really impacts the visual fidelity in movies, it was HDR and 4k resolution that really gave the "WOW" moment. It is really impactful, but only very few sets made in 2015 have it and many 2016 models (mainly higher end) have it.

That is a very brief and simplistic definition, I am sure that someone will post a link to more detailed information on HDR. In short, it makes colors better, brighter and improves contrast ratio giving movies and in theory games more definition/color.

For me personally it is a game changer for movies and with the Xbox One S and Forza Horizon 3 being the first HDR video game, we will see how it impacts gaming. If HDR improves movies as much as it does, I am eagerly looking forward to what it does for gaming.

Here is a good link to a much more detailed description of HDR.:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/hdr-tv-high-dynamic-television-explained

Wondering if HDR in games is a few years too early. Inout lag seems to be a big problem and most sets force themselves into a set mode when they detect HDR content so you can't bypass processing etc.

This stopped me from buying 2016 Sony 4K TV.

When HDR mode kicks in, game mode is not usable and all picture modes are unavailable.

Which kind of defeats the purpose of HDR Gaming.

Top Bottom