• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No, Nintendo didn't "lie," and no, Iwata never said NX "isn't a hybrid."

Hi. What with all these NX reports lately, there sure are a whole lot of folks who seem to be gettin' real real mad at Nintendo for "lying" to them about the NX, and whether it is or is not a tablet that docks to your TV or what.

Whoa, slow down! I know that you have those same two paragraphs all queued up on your clipboard already, ready to paste into any thread in which anyone utters the word "hybrid." Don't worry, I'm going to paste them for you, so you don't have to. Anyway, I know there are quite a few of you who'll never be convinced by this, but I just figured having a thread to point to for the next six months or a year or however long it takes would be helpful.

Nintendo did not lie to anyone, and Nintendo did not say "NX will not be a hybrid," and nothing Nintendo ever said was ever proof that NX wasn't a hybrid. This is true even if the Eurogamer report turns out to be an LSD-fueled Cybermorph review and NX is actually a PC running Steam. It was never ruled out.

Iwata, January 2013:

"What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine. What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform."

This was January 2013, which is forever ago in Nintendo time. The Wii U had only just come out and was not yet a catastrophic failure. Nintendo had *just* merged the platform teams, which meant that it had only at that moment started looking into what might be possible. It had to be clear to investors and media about what it WAS announcing and what it was NOT announcing - at that moment. It still had the freedom to follow that research wherever it led, and if it so desired, to produce a game machine that functioned as a handheld unit but also as a TV-based game player.

Note that in 2011, Iwata had said, of Nintendo making smartphone games, "This is absolutely not under consideration." Four years later, it was partnered up with DeNA.

POP QUIZ TIME!

Quick, read this sentence, then answer the question that follows.

"I am not sure if I am going to go to the store today," Bob said. "I might stay home."

Q: Is Bob going to go to the store today?

a) Yes
b) No
c) I don't know

Time's up! If you answered c), you're right: Bob might go to the store, or he might stay home, and you don't have enough information to answer the question.

Iwata, January 2014:

"Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment."

Q: Is Nintendo going to integrate form factors?

If you aced that quiz about Bob but think this Iwata quote absolutely rules out a hybrid... well, you may want to read both lines again.

As I said when that first "What We Know About NX" thread came up, this is a bit of deflection. Note that Iwata was asked point-blank if Nintendo was going to integrate handhelds and consoles into a single machine. He could have responded, "No. We absolutely will not do that, because handhelds need to worry about battery life first and foremost, and consoles need raw power, and therefore they must be separate devices." Instead he started talking about how Apple has lots of different-sized phones, phablets, tablets, etc. His response to the question wasn't "no," it was, "hell, I don't know, maybe we will."

Of course Nintendo could ship many different form factors, over time. Maybe they make a little pocket-sized handheld, or maybe there's one that just hooks up to your television and has no screen. I mean, it's Nintendo for chrissakes, they love releasing all kinds of variations on hardware. Who knows! But neither of these statements ever meant that that the product Nintendo is shipping in March 2017 isn't a hybrid.

liquidtmd

Banned
Nintendo is shipping in March 2017

That you've ended a piece about what Nintendo have and haven't said, directly and indirectly, with a statement of fact that Nintendo both kinda have and haven't said amuses me.

georly

Thank you. I was thinking about citing you and making a thread but you did it yourself anyway.

I read it as him saying "We are not combining both our handheld and console divisions into a single division with a single piece of hardware output." If all they *need* is one piece of hardware, they can end up doing it (if this rumored NX is a smash success) - but if it's just one piece of the pie, we could also see a fully dedicated home console with a similar (and sometimes shared) library down the line. We could see as many different form factors as are necessary.

Nothing they announced so far says that the NX is a hybrid... the current rumor describes a portable with a dock with HDMI out.

It's actually a good example of how even recorded, verifiable information can be subject to the telephone game.

We have the quote there, but I was absolutely positive that I remembered it as being more definite than it was. And I had read that quote more than once since then.

But I guess the fact that people kept saying Iwata directly said it's not a hybrid transformed the quote in my head to something else decidedly more declarative. It is weird how that works.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I have been saying it in the other threads. Iwata never said it was 'not a hybrid'. He was speaking of unified development across all their platforms.

That was people's interpretations.

In fact, signs are still pointing to it not being a hybrid. It is seemingly a powerful handheld that has a dock for a TV out. The PSP did this with a cable for crying out loud, was that a 'hybrid'?

This whole 'hybrid talk' is still people's interpretation and/or semantics honestly.

Thank you. The possibility of it being a hybrid device was never ruled out nor was what Iwata said contradictory to what Eurogamer reported.

georly

Which is different from a hybrid how?

I think for some the definition of a hybrid is something that REPLACES both the handheld AND console permanently. This sounds more like a handheld you can play on tv if you want - which gives it console-like abilities, but isn't necessarily a replacement for nintendo's home console business.

I mean, it *could* be, but it doesn't guarantee nintendo isn't ALSO planning a console down the line either.

I have been saying it in the other threads. Iwata never said it was not a hybrid.

In fact, signs are still pointing to it not being a hybrid. It is seemingly a powerful handheld that has a dock for a TV out. The PSP did this with a cable for crying out loud. That was not a 'hybrid'.

This whole 'hybrid talk' is still people's interpretation.

It's all semantics at this point. It's going to come down to how much Nintendo pushes this feature. The PSP having TV out was never a huge selling point.

It's actually a good example of how even recorded, verifiable information can be subject to the telephone game.

We have the quote there, but I was absolutely positive that I remembered it as being more definite than it was. And I had read that quote more than once since then.

But I guess the fact that people kept saying Iwata directly said it's not a hybrid transformed the quote in my head to something else decidedly more declarative. It is weird how that works.

Yup. Same here. :/

What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handheld devices and home consoles to make only one machine.

I mean, it's easier to unpack this sentence this way:

1) Based on the original question being asked: The purpose of unifying their SW/HW divisions is not strictly to create devices that are integrated handheld/home consoles.

2) Based on the idea of integrating platforms = a single integrated system: They don't see integrating platforms as making "only" one machine that does the job of both.

You then tack on the statement about Iwata not being 100% sure what the end results will be and teasing that the number of form factors might increase [read: beyond just an integrated all-in-one device] if (and this is the critical point) there is demand for more devices.

Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform.
[...]
Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment.

Essentially the quote seems to indicate they plan on making a lot of different hardware (more than usual) with a shared library so a hybrid replacing both sounded out of the question.
I'm guessing there's more hardware to be revealed, maybe not in the rumored September event, though

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Hey that reminds me, who's making the new Bob Direct predictions thread?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That you've ended a piece about what Nintendo have and haven't said, directly and indirectly, with a statement of fact that Nintendo both kinda have and haven't said amuses me.

Hasn't Nintendo confirmed this 2 more times after announcing it? Or am I misunderstanding your statement?

Essentially the quote seems to indicate they plan on making a lot of different hardware (more than usual) with a shared library so a hybrid replacing both sounded out of the question.

The quote indicates that they're not committed to only making a hybrid device, but if you read to the very end it sounds like they're starting with one and will release more form factors based on demand.

georly

I'm guessing there's more hardware to be revealed, maybe not in the rumored September event, though

Don't know about 'more than usual' which is currently... what? 5 different versions of 3DS and 1 console?

I see the NX handheld + dock, NX handheld XL + dock, and then NX console as being part of the upcoming NX ecosystem - with a shared library of sorts. Touch-screen-required games on the handheld, graphical powerhouses on the console. Schedule for when these come out are whatever - but I don't see them NEVER releasing a home console ever again (unless this handheld does insanely well and they don't think they need to).

The quote indicates that they're not committed to only making a hybrid device, but if you read to the very end it sounds like they're starting with one and will release more form factors based on demand.

Exactly. A shared ecosystem lets them experiment with different form factors (because they don't have to INVEST in exclusive games for it, necessarily) - they can release it, let it play all the 'nx' games its form factor is compatible with and just iterate if it's successful or drop if it's not.

Ponn

Banned
I have been saying it in the other threads. Iwata never said it was 'not a hybrid'. He was speaking of unified development across all their platforms.

In fact, signs are still pointing to it not being a hybrid. It is seemingly a powerful handheld that has a dock for a TV out. The PSP did this with a cable for crying out loud, was that a 'hybrid'?

This whole 'hybrid talk' is still people's interpretation and/or semantics honestly.

PSP didn't have detachable controllers built into it.

Krowley

I think for some the definition of a hybrid is something that REPLACES both the handheld AND console permanently. This sounds more like a handheld you can play on tv if you want - which gives it console-like abilities, but isn't necessarily a replacement for nintendo's home console business.

I mean, it *could* be, but it doesn't guarantee nintendo isn't ALSO planning a console down the line either.

Basically they can hedge their bets.

I would almost guarantee that they hope this will replace both the DS line, and the console line--a meeting of the streams. If it sells really well, there's a good chance that they'll never make another console that isn't also a handheld or another handheld that isn't also a console. Merging the streams.

If it doesn't sell well, then they can always pretend it was just an experiment and keep the streams split with more conventional consoles and handhelds down the line.

Griss

Jesus Christ OP, thank you. How a misunderstanding of these words became such dogmatic gospel is beyond me.

Top Bottom