• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumeira

Banned
Damn good tv, I didn't feel the hype but I thoroughly enjoyed it. My favorite thing about the show is that it doesn't spoon feed you everything, somethings you'll have to connect on your own.

Edit: oh yea, it was cool seeing all the gifs in their original format.
This is the sole reason why it's been even more enjoyable on repeated viewings. I'm a thing it again for the 2nd time after 3 years, and I'm shocked how much I enjoyed season 2, after not liking it initially. Great show, one of the greatest. Currently on season 3 ep3.

Best show ever and I think I watched it all in about a week and a half.

Everything about it is pretty much perfect with my only gripes being series 5 went a bit too mental but I think that was because of the writers strike at the time?

Plus it introduced me to Solomon Burke and his Fast Train, that whole sequence still stays with me to this day.

Season 2 gets a ton of hate by first time watchers because it follows season 1 and is quite different. You go from gritty streets with shoot outs to corrupt cops and dock workers with a dysfunctional family thrown in. I've found most people come to appreciate the quality of it with each re-watch.

The weird thing is I started watching this show at Season 2 and I only started because people were pissed off at it. I had to see what the controversy was about.

In hindsight I could see why waiting week to week to watch some dock drama following season 1's emotional conclusion pissed people off. I really liked season 2 though because it touches on drugs, human trafficking, bribery, etc. I won't spoil anything else for the OP but I didn't find it a drag at all.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
It's a slow burn. Episode 10 was when it grabbed me, and it didn't let go until the series finale.

Best TV show ever. Period.

Unlike others, I love S2. There are some really sad/depressing individuals there, portrayed in an fantastic way. If at the end, when everything gets exposed, you don't feel even a bit of sadness, you just aren't human.

WolfeTone

Fantastic show. Wasn't gripped until mid-Season 1 but from there it was consistently amazing. The change of direction in Season 2 feels a bit weird at first but soon grabs you again. Season 4 is probably the best season of television I've ever seen.

The show excels at so much: drama, comedy, social commentary, even the licensed music is great. So many memorable characters too and all feel real to the point where the show often seems like a documentary. Can't wait to watch the whole thing again in a couple of years.

The LTTP Wire threads continue to pop up every other month or so. I continue to be stuck somewhere around ep 2 or 3 of S2.

S1 was ok. Great acting. I honestly find it difficult to care about what's going on, but at some point I'll try to power through, since GAF tells me this is the greatest show ever.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Season 2 is fantastic, Only behind 4. The Wire is still the greatest show on Television to date. Only Deadwood is up there with it.

Season 5 is a stinker though, but it has an amazing payoff.

higemaru

By the end of it all, you'll love Frank Sobotka and understand the plight of the dock workers. I'm three episodes away from the finale and it's a stunning show. I heard the 5th season wasn't great but uh, it's still one of the best seasons of television. It's just closer to a farce than a stone-cold drama which is awesome.

Season 2 is my favorite with S4 close behind. As I'm watching the show, I think Season 3 might be the weakest and it's still a 9.9/10.

BobDylan

Yeah, probably the best TV show ever.

I appreciate season 2 more and more every time I watch it. Right now it's neck and neck with season 4 for my favorite.

all of this. I wasn't super into s2 first run through but by the end you see how it all fits together. then you go and rewatch it all and s2 fits in perfectly. s4 is the goat.

forever the best show of all time

This lttp pops up every now and again, and I will continue to say that this is the best show ever made by a long shot. It's not even close, there's The Wire and then much further down the list is everything else. Still as on point and poignant as ever.

I like how the city is the main character of the show, with each season focusing on a different side of it.

I think this is one reason why people find S2 so jarring is that, on the first watch, from S1 to S2, it looks like they just jumped gears entirely. It's not until S3 where it shows that the show is just as much about Baltimore as whole as it is about what Avon and his crew are doing, and McNulty and the police's response in kind.

One of the most socially conscious TV shows I've ever seen, and made stronger by it than most television, especially those shows people often compare The Wire to.

Zemm

Just finished the first season yesterday and loved every minute of it and now I'm currently at the third episode of season 2 and man is it bad.I hope the third season is more like the first one and less like the second,cause the second one is just boring.

S2 is weird and the other seasons are more like S1, everyone's a bit 'wtf' when they first watch S2 but on rewatches they seem to enjoy it and it ends up being as good as the others.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
L_Wire_S4_ep3.jpg

You can't save them all...

Truphenom

Just stopping in to rep Marlo. Best villain ever and doesn't get enough love. I rewatch the series every summer and I'm up to season 4.

"my name is my name!"

So good lol.

"See, the thing is, you only got to fuck up once. Be a little slow, be a little late, just once. And how you ain't gonna never be slow? Never be late? You can't plan through no shit like this, man. It's life." - Avon Barksdale

Lothar

Banned
It took me until season 3 to like and get this show. At first I didn't like or care about anybody and didn't see anything that special. (Except for the end of season 1. Right when I was warming up to it, they changed the story and characters). I forced myself to push through season 1 and season 2 because I wanted to get to carcetti/Littlefinger. It was worth it because he was amazing and was a big part in making the show a lot better from then on.

4 > 3 > 5 > 1 > 2

Season 2 is amazing, and if it weren't for season 4, it would be my favorite. Upon rewatch it's even better.

The sudden shift to the focus of organized crime, prostitution, smuggling, and a murder case that actually takes time to crack is just great. The season had darker imagery and subject matter, more depth for many characters (Stringer especially) and just overall was aesthetically more polished, with it being Winter in the city.

Fuck the haters.

Phenomenal show. I binge-watched via Netflix DVD many years ago and would really like to re-watch some day. It would be interesting to see how my opinion of the seasons might have changed over the years.

Sp3ratus

Neo Member
The Wire
The Sopranos
Boardwalk Empire

Television perfection.

I like you. Especially because you included Boardwalk Empire.

I should really rewatch The Wire. I've only watched it once and that was a couple of years ago, if not more. A rewatch should clear up a lot of stuff, when watched for the second time. I also really want to see how it looks in widescreen for comparison.

Ross61

" A man's got to have a code."

Even though season 5 was a bit of the mess, the last couple episodes were on point and gave a satisfying conclusion.

Had a discussion with my cousin a while back about how great the cast was and here was the question...Top 5 characters NOT Avon, Stringer or Omar?

Mine:
Lt. Daniels
Bunny Colvin
Weebey
Cutty
Bunk Moreland

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I don't think I've ever wanted to see so many characters actually get out of the game and survive and be happy but found myself crushed over and over. There are times I really wished certain characters had made it even if its not good story telling or anything like that. I straight up loved so many characters in the show and was devastated when they got killed or taken out of the show for whatever reason.

Dookie man...

Hell even Bodie.

hqdefault.jpg
]

WolfeTone

Had a discussion with my cousin a while back about how great the cast was and here was the question...Top 5 characters NOT Avon, Stringer or Omar?

Mine:
Lt. Daniels
Bunny Colvin
Weebey
Cutty
Bunk Moreland

Cut Weebey out and replace with Bubbs and you've got yourself a solid list.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Am i the only one who found season 3 fucking hilarious? everything in hamsterdam was frickin hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom