• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we have to rebuy our digital titles on the NX? Can Nintendo get away with it?

I have so much stuff still on my Wii. Which is starting to break down. All those games lost in time.

I'm done buying digital, other then the rare case.

This issue - along with how they handle user accounts and region locking - is going to be very telling of Nintendo's ability to listen.

Nintendo won't listen on this issue. They'll do what they want as usual, and I predict Wii U style upgrade fees.

Whatever Nintendo decides to do, it's up to the user to decide whether they will participate. However, if you decide to not pay the upgrade fee for your VC game, please recognize that the decision you're making is strictly whether that functionality is worth the money to you or not. I wouldn't make the decision based on any kind of "sending a message" mentality, because that is a fool's errand with Nintendo. If you abstain from upgrading, at the end of the day all you'll have is $3 extra in your account and no NX version of your game. Given that, I'll probably upgrade my games if given the opportunity.

fernoca

Kinda hard to tell at this moment.

They were the only ones that offered full backwards compatibility with physical and digital items.

The upgrade fee was optional for the perks of the Wii U, but you could still play them on Wii mode.

But without backwards comlatibility....maybe?

360 games are added to Xbox One at no additional costs.

PS3/PS2 games on PS4 recquire either purchase or rental. There are some few cross buy titles though.

boiled goose

good with gravy
This is the single biggest thing that will keep me from buying an NX.

I did not buy a single digital WiiU game for this reason. I have not bought a 3DS for this reason.

WE NEED A PROPER UNIFIED NINTENDO ACCOUNT.

You don't have to rebuy your steam games every time you buy a new computer.

MacTag

Banned
Hey, Konami is actually one of the best Wii U VC supporters, if not the best one after Nintendo itself. Lots of Konami and Hudson titles are on the service.

(Square Enix in the West, on the other hand...)
I meant in terms of their own platforms. TG16 took forever, so long that we weren't even really expecting it anymore.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
The hell are you on op?
I can play all of my VC games bought on Wii on WiiU just fine at no additional cost. Then, for a small upgrade fee, I can decide if I want to upgrade to get WiiU's specific features for the titles which offer such upgrades.

Meanwhile on my PS4 I can't play any of the shitton of PS1/2 Classics I've bought over the years and if I want to play the titles I've already paid for which have been re-released with PS4's specific features I'm expected to play 20 fucking euros.

Microsoft has been doing it right.

LoveCake

Will we have to rebuy our digital titles on the NX? It wouldn't surprise me.

Can Nintendo get away with it? As long as people keep re/buying them.

I did not buy a single digital WiiU game for this reason. I have not bought a 3DS for this reason.

neither when you buy a another wiiu or 3ds

Schnozberry

DeNA was assisting them with building a new account system that would traverse both mobile games and dedicated devices.

I have no idea if they'll make people buy games again, but I'd be most excited about a potential VC Subscription Service.

Jay Sosa

1. Of course.

2. As long as people are willing to pay for the same fucking game for the 10. time, yes Nintendo will 'get away' with it.

Of course they will, look at every other gaming company. They all do the same thing. How many versions of the classic final fantasy games are out there now?

Reckheim

sony got away with making you rebuy ps2 classics on ps4, and unlike nintendo, you didnt get a discount for owning the ps2 classic on ps3

Neither Sony or Nintendo is making you buy anything; you bought a ps2 game for a ps3 system, no one promised you it would work on a ps4.

The Boat

not technically on the wii-u since its in the wii portion. wii-u VC works differently than wii mode VC, the fact that required a paywall was absurd. considering sony let you use the games on 3 different platforms (and multiple devices for said platforms which enabled gamesharing)

The games you bought for Wii, both physical and digital can be played on the Wii U for no extra cost, the fact that you need to boot in Wii mode is a technicality and an inconvenience at worst.

I'm not defending the upgrade cost (nor am I fundamentally against it in theory), the fact of the matter is every company does some good stuff and some bad stuff for the consumers, singling out Nintendo as far as rebuying digital titles goes when they're the ones who allow you to play them on Wii U for free while most (every?) digital game you bought on PS3 doesn't work on PS4 seems like a very lopsided way to look at things.

Sephzilla

he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it.gif

Jay Sosa

Neither Sony or Nintendo is making you buy anything; you bought a ps2 game for a ps3 system, no one promised you it would work on a ps4.

Exactly. Instead of complaining people should simply boycott it. But they won't so it will never stop.

They're companies which will try to amass as much fortune as possible, hard to blame them.

And unlike Nintendo, they added incentive with trophies and proper upscaling. You're better off playing old Nintendo games on PC than an actual WiiU. They cant even emulate their own games properly. That's pathetic.
Didn't they render N64 games in HD on Wii U, or am I imagining it?

Consoles further back than that had pixel art so those wouldn't make sense.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I don't see why they wouldn't. Personally, I won't buy them again, but some will. Digital purchases didn't transfer from the 360 or PS3, after all.

I would expect though that all purchases from now on would be BC with future consoles.

It's going to be easy to determine whether to bother with NX or not early on, based on whether they offer crossbuy, proper accounts, lift region lock, etc. Things like that are some of the easiest things to build goodwill early on among hardcore gamers. However, if they stick with their archaic anti-consumer systems, I'm not expecting them to start respecting their costumers again in other areas either.

georly

If they can guarantee my purchases are forward compatible then i'll rebuy everything no questions asked. Hell, I'll buy more than I have bought prior.

If not, I'll skip out on VC again and just keep playing them on my wii, which i begrudgingly still have hooked up just for this reason.

SMD

When the Wii U was released, players had to rebuy their classic titles (NES, SNES, etc) that they had bought for the Wii. I believe the same thing was true with the 3DS. You already own SNES games on the Wii or Wii U? Buy them again if you want to play them on the go.

I don't remember reading anything about the NX offering classic titles as downloads, but I assume it'll be the case. So my question is: can Nintendo get away, once more, with forcing its customers to repurchase their classic titles?

If people stopped being mugs about it then companies wouldn't keep doing it.

If you get people buying the same games each gen for a tenner, of course they'll do it again and again.

BD1

Banned
Just switch to the Netflix model and be done with it. $9/month and let me download and play anything out of the available VC catalog whenever I want.

Nzyme32

I would imagine VC is very easy to get working and shouldn't need repurchasing.

WiiU won't be given BC on NX apparently and that is pretty shit, justifying my reasoning on not getting it. So you will have to re-buy those games if they are on NX I guess.

My hope is that somehow they will be able to guarantee perpetuity for future hardware somehow concerning digital sales. It's doubtful, but if they did it I would be able to consider getting an NX

fernoca

you actually did, pay a small fee of 1,50 dollars
Yes and no.
No in that you can play every Wii game on Wii U at no additional cost. They played exactly the same and at 480p.

Yes in that in case of re-released Virtual Console games, you could pay an upgrade fee to play them with Miiverse integration, controller mapping, screenshot sharing, etc.

ViolentP

Yes and no.
No in that you can play every Wii game on Wii U at no additional cost. They played exactly the same and at 480p.

Yes in that in case of re-released Virtual Console games, you could pay an upgrade fee to play them with Miiverse integration, controller mapping, screenshot sharing, etc.

Miiverse integration, controller mapping, screenshot sharing.

This should all be free.

fernoca

Miiverse integration, controller mapping, screenshot sharing.

This should all be free.
Same as trophies in PS2 games, and some say that warrants enough to pay $20.

Not saying I liked it (I don't rebuy VC games), just pointing out that you can play every Wii game anyway on Wii U, without upgrade fees.

Nintendo can eat it. I bought at least a dozen or more virtual console games on Wii. The moment I realized I'd have to buy them again, I cut that shit out quick.

People like steam because they have all their games on one account which can transfer between PC upgrades, and more people are jumping on the PC train than ever. Nintendo needs to get with the program.

If they really wanted to stick to this bullshit, they missed an opportunity for the NES mini to be a virtual console exclusive machine.. Somehow buying games exclusively for an HD NES doesn't seem as disastrous as buying them on a Wii or Wii u.

Ah well. I don't have high expectations. Keep expectations low with Nintendo, and you will occasionally be thrilled.

ViolentP

Same as trophies in PS2 games, and some say that warrants enough to pay $20.

Correct. Paying for trophies is also just as absurd. The point here being is that as generations go by, console owners are getting more and more otherwise free features put behind the paywall. And the only ones worse than those exacerbating the situation by paying for these things are those that justify it. Consoles are headed in a bad direction in this regard.

If NX does indeed offer emulated classic titles, and that emulation is good (i.e., no shitty dark filters or input lag like the Wii U offerings), I might consider buying the less common games, or games that are otherwise prohibitively expensive to buy the originals.

Otherwise, no. I already have most classic titles I want in their original form, playing in the original consoles. So I won't be buying those on NX regardless.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If they do transfer over for free, that would be nice. That's the way it should be.

But if they don't transfer, they will be full price. Why? Because an small upgrade fee on Wii U was essential in getting users to pay for the same game a second time on the same console. If they were simply offering a discount as a favor to those who already purchased the license, then the same discount would've been offered between shared Wii U and 3DS VC games.

IrishNinja

They didn't even do cross-play for VC titles in the same generation.

I don't think they're going to bother doing it across generations.

^this

What does "getting away with it" even mean?

I'm still holding out hope that the NES mini is running the NX OS and that it'll come with a code to download those 30 games on NX day one.

...for real?
look, we got NES games once in GC Animal Crossing, around the time people were rebuying them on GBA. they're done tossing these things about without $ man

Anth0ny

they will get away with it because people will still pay again and again and again to play these classic titles.

plus, this time, you can get it on the go and on your tv! for the price of one! what a concept!

Boney

Banned
To be fair, you only had to pay for an upgrade fee from Wii -> Wii U not completely rebuy them.

It's still bull and I didn't get any vc title I already had.

Zee-Row

Banned
I expect their NX Virtual Console service to be even worse than the Wii U version. I feel like they don't care anymore so I'll still keep the Wii U hooked up if I need to play them.

Isurus

I don't see why they wouldn't. Personally, I won't buy them again, but some will. Digital purchases didn't transfer from the 360 or PS3, after all.

I would expect though that all purchases from now on would be BC with future consoles.

Digital 360 purchases that are BC on the Xbox One transfer automatically and can be installed easily via the "My Games and Apps" section.

Top Bottom