• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Sydle

Cool. If it is shorter or the same size as a PS4 I'm golden as there's nothing but open space where I'm intending to place it.

Another question, does the connection of the controller drop as often as it does on the original model (which isn't often, but enough for me to notice and be disappointed)?

S is 2.5 inches in height. PS4 is 2.08 inches.

I never experienced a disconnect on the original model and so far haven't had an issue with the S.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Just turned my S on for the first time, and its been stuck at the green startup screen for like 10 minutes. Should I be concerned?
Hmmmm, hold the power button until/if it turns off, unplug it from the wall and system socket, and let it stand 30 seconds. Try booting it then.

RPGamer92

Banned
So has anyone else's slim had problems reading discs? I put in Fallout 4 today, and it wouldn't read it even though it worked fine on my brothers. Then I tried MGSV and still the same. Can anyone help?

etta

my hard graphic balls
So has anyone else's slim had problems reading discs? I put in Fallout 4 today, and it wouldn't read it even though it worked fine on my brothers. Then I tried MGSV and still the same. Can anyone help?
Clear cache reboot by holding the power button for 10 seconds, let it sit for another 20, then boot it back up.

jadedm17

Major Nelson just tweeted this

don't know if it's thread worthy.

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/769975990185582592

Update (Madden bundle on Sale as well for $314.99

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/769976733068103680
BrookeNRubber ‏@BrookeNRubber Aug 28
@majornelson @amazon thats pretty screwed up! i paid 399.99 for mine a week ago. bow i am out of 40 bux. thx @majornelson and @amazon

Buyer's remorse is so ridiculous in the electronics industry. People are idiots : Microsoft offered X item for Y amount, and you decided that you would get Y amount of enjoyment from it... Then it drops and you're mad? Electronics constantly drop in price, nearly every single electronic item you buy will be cheaper shortly after you buy it, get over it.
I really can't stand Day One Xbox One purchasers with buyer's remorse : If you're over 18 then you should have had half a brain to do ten minutes research and see it would be a massive failure and drop in price fast.
That's a great deal for those who didn't dive in already; Personally I'm fine with my full retail price and will enjoy it as such.

Chad Magnus ‏@magnus7982 Aug 28
@archurops @majornelson yeah but it's just the principal they are out to screws us when they could have put all it in there the 1st time
0 retweets 0 likes
Reply Retweet
More
Trade in deals are great but they're a bonus, you're not "getting screwed" by not having one. You bought an X1 and enjoyed it until now, you're gonna lose money based on hours used. Move on.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Just played my first 4K bluray and thought it looked fantastic

on my 1080p TV

I think that the Xbox One S, air grills aside, is a great design and a smart console. I am starting to think that this PS2 like shape for a cheaper console with some improved grunt, more compact streamlined shape, and essentially the most affordable console option for UHD Blu-Ray playback was chosen for a reason... the entire console reminds me of PS 2 a little.

Saw one at Walmart earlier and damn I wanted to buy it so bad. Either waiting for Black Friday or Scorpio though... with Scorpio out in a year it's just hard to justify it now.

Got mine in today, hooked it up and installed Halo 5 and the MCC. UI is a little clunky to get around, but I'll get used to it. Gonna watch Deadpool in 4K tonight. My TV doesn't have HDR unfortunately, but I'm still excited

hwalker84

When launching the netflix app on a 4k HDR Capable TV does the app make the entire console get extremely dark? It's like it's invoking a completely different picture mode. The text of the app looks extremely low res.

Lima

When launching the netflix app on a 4k HDR Capable TV does the app make the entire console get extremely dark? It's like it's invoking a completely different picture mode. The text of the app looks extremely low res.

It's a bug. Yes it puts your TV into HDR mode even in the menus and when watching SDR content when it should only do it if you are actually watching HDR enabled content.

My new controller that came with the S has a very faint static or crackle with the audio when using a headset. I only really notice it on the dashboard when using the d pad and moving around. In game I don't notice it, but it could just be drowned out by the rest of the sound.

Anyone else get this? Could it be wireless interference? I do generally have the baby monitor on the desk while im playing.

mozfan12

Banned
Not digging the new controller that came with the S. It has a very plastic feel but then again I have an elite controller so it's a huge difference but it's not even as good as the lunar control. Just feels really cheap, at least put on the awesome grip.

The slight crackle on the dash is happening with my lunar white controller too, so its the system. Strange. Not sure if its worth returning over.

MrBenchmark

Not digging the new controller that came with the S. It has a very plastic feel but then again I have an elite controller so it's a huge difference but it's not even as good as the lunar control. Just feels really cheap, at least put on the awesome grip.
It is of course plastic feeling but it creaks less when held tight compared to all my older controllers including my elite just have to wait and see how the LB RB hold up compared to the older controllers I've replaced them on my lunar and elite lunar dpad is f'ed so don't use that one anymore son switched to wired programmable afterglow which he prefers he put some anti sweat handgrips on it and loves it plus 2 year warranty on those.

Xenoflare

Yeah, the Xbox One UI is absurdly sluggish for me as well. I think it's mostly due to network issues so the S doesn't really help.

Strangely I like it a lot better than the 360's clusterfuck of a dashboard towards it's end of it's life. My only beef with it is that the side panel lags when opened for the first time on a boot up.

But yes, I think the PS4 wins because it doesn't try to load all those useless crap in the background, hell I am still fond of the XMB on the PS3.

Thankfully the Xbox app on PC works great for me for redeeming my cards and buying games my only other experience on console stores was the PSN store on PS3 and Vita (they suck, really suck), the only but significant complaint I have is that it doesn't have a "total amounts" page with tax, instead it just deducts the amount right away.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yea the OS has a lot of freaking live content, things that have to be downloaded every so often and be kept in the RAM. I really wished they'd fix the sluggishness with the switch to Windows 10 last November, and while they did make it snappier, it's still not enough or as snappy as the PS4 (although the PS4 OS does a lot less).
I don't know when or if they will one day rethink how the OS works and delivers all this live information, maybe have a separate 4GB DDR3 module for the OS and 8-12GB GDDR5 for gaming in Scorpio. Or just make the OS lighter and less "connected" for the main part, and keep the other tabs as separate apps that aren't always open and using resources by default.

jelly

Tesco have the 500GB and 1TB up for pre order. £249 and £299. Unfortunately the Microsoft thinks Europe likes football FIFA bundle.

Flux

Joining the S club. I have a launch original Xbox One and now I just ordered a 500 GB S. My plan is to get a cheap external HD during one of the big holiday blowouts.

From what I understand, I should be able to use my current gamertag across both consoles, and have my digital library available to both.

Goodnight launch 360, you served us well as a Netflix box in your final years. I really look forward to the going from jet engine -> whisper quiet.

I wonder if DF will do comparisons between the One and the One S with games like BF1 and whatever else is coming. Still surprised they didnt test Halo 5 to see if the dynamic res stayed higher or not.

MrBenchmark

Joining the S club. I have a launch original Xbox One and now I just ordered a 500 GB S. My plan is to get a cheap external HD during one of the big holiday blowouts.

From what I understand, I should be able to use my current gamertag across both consoles, and have my digital library available to both.

Goodnight launch 360, you served us well as a Netflix box in your final years. I really look forward to the going from jet engine -> whisper quiet.

yeah it will work fine. My sons Xbox One is my home console and i play on my other 2 systems while he is on that one all the time.

i have 3 360 E models that run my OTA tv from my Media center PC.

Colbert

Banned
I wonder if DF will do comparisons between the One and the One S with games like BF1 and whatever else is coming. Still surprised they didnt test Halo 5 to see if the dynamic res stayed higher or not.

In addition I would like to see if a game that supports HDR runs faster on Xbox One S if the output device is a non-HDR TV.

Still getting slight audio crackle through the controller. Seems to only happen on the dash, I don't notice it in game.

Tried a different controller, and it still happens. Slight annoyance but I don't think I'll return it over this.

No one else with this issue?

Smokey

Man Xbox One is still having the resume from sleep strict NAT problem? It's annoying, I thought they would have fixed it by now. Also my downloads are not being kicked off remotely. I selected BF1 while at work, get home and it's in the waiting to be installed (download) section, instead of already being downloaded?

DirtyLarry

Tomorrow is the day of reckoning. Between 9 AM and 1 PM my replacement Vizio will be delivered.

I truly do hope they send a patient person as I plan on showing them the exact issue in action first so they know what is going on and what needs to be fixed.

I then plan on taking a very long time to see if it is fixed. Not a minute with no blackout and we are good to go. If the issue is somehow not there, I want to see it not black out for at least 10-15 minutes. Since it always happens within a minute of enabling it I figure that is decent and long enough this person should be able to remain patient.

Fingers crossed here. I will no doubt post either way to share whether the replacement TV fixed the issue or not. I sure hope it does. That goes without saying.

Top Bottom