• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions Beta 2017 "true competitive multiplayer game" [Update: Trailer]

bee

may aswell put it in here aswell

quakecon - quake champions showmatch (noctis and fatal1ty were playing in this but not in the official tourneys, they're helping balance it? )

looks way way better than the trailer even in potato quality, apparently anarki has qw/cpm movement but reduced health, good to see them all? have strafe jumping

KingKong

Fatal1ty is still hanging around? Anyway the footage does look better, obviously just having regular mouse movement helps

still not a fan of the way the weapons look but hopefully they'll have center/fov/small gun cvars (they added those to Doom post release right?)

Adnor

Banned
may aswell put it in here aswell

quakecon - quake champions showmatch (noctis and fatal1ty were playing in this but not in the official tourneys, they're helping balance it? )

looks way way better than the trailer even in potato quality, apparently anarki has qw/cpm movement but reduced health, good to see them all? have strafe jumping

Zenimax deleted the video, did someone made a backup?

maybe this can end the holy war between all the various movement modes (vq3, cpma, other, etc.)

rumor has it that you can just pick the character that moves however you want to move

Adnor

Banned
I got these on the Quake subreddit. not sure if their the same since I didn't see the youtube video either.

https://sendvid.com/cx6mje6z
https://sendvid.com/30zvz4m9

I have no fucking idea why they keep fucking doing this. First with Doom and now with Quake. Let us see the game along with everyone who's attended. They are so stupid.

Thanks!
Shame they're so short. There's a lot of criticism because of the hero stuff so they really should show some gameplay to see if it really plays like Quake or not.

I got these on the Quake subreddit. not sure if their the same since I didn't see the youtube video either.

https://sendvid.com/cx6mje6z
https://sendvid.com/30zvz4m9

I have no fucking idea why they keep fucking doing this. First with Doom and now with Quake. Let us see the game along with everyone who's attended. They are so stupid.

Very interesting. Looks like a TDM game was going on. Also interesting, was that an announcer mentioned that both teams controlled an "obelisk", and that it granted a "frag bonus".

Very interesting indeed.

Ixion

Here's a leaked match from QuakeCon:

https://puu.sh/qsXxl/f3c6d3056c.mp4

It's off-screen and low-quality, but you can get a handle on the gameplay regardless. It's interesting how Visor's wall hack works. Using the ability emits a giant blue energy wave throughout the arena, so everyone knows the wall hack is being used. I guess that's how they're balancing it?

Adnor

Banned
Gameplay looks fine, faster than the trailer, so it makes even less sense to not show this on the stream.

Rockk

Movement looks fantastic. Just a question of hero abilities and how they are balanced at this point. Stuff like ugly weapon models won't stop me from playing it. although I would welcome an alternative.

Zenimax is so stupid to not show this showmatch.

deleted

Didn't think that they are that far to already show of whole matches. Much further along than I thought.

Map looks really dark in places, but that's almost 100% due to offscreen.

Do we know if this is F2P btw?

If they do it right, they can sell so much cool stuff for this game.
Item skins, that show the pick-ups in a Quake 1,2 or 3 style. Retro Announcers, Player models. Even map skins could be possible.

Didn't think that they are that far to already show of whole matches. Much further along than I thought.

Map looks really dark in places, but that's almost 100% due to offscreen.

If they do it right, they can sell so much cool stuff for this game.
Item skins, that show the pick-ups in a Quake 1,2 or 3 style. Retro Announcers, Player models. Even map skins could be possible.

Yo I would definitely use a low poly quake 1 ranger model

Ixion

id Software said they're just going to build the game first, and then figure out the appropriate monetization approach afterwords. So they don't know yet, and they said it's a tough call.

They just have to make sure not to sell a lime green Tank Jr. skin, otherwise it's Quake 3 all over again :p

I'd be perfectly ok with a function that displays all users as the same mesh if every character's Hitboxes are different,

But I doubt thatll be the case since every character is unique from a functional standpoint... Odds are everyone will have nearly identical hitboxes

Ixion

It's been confirmed that Champions can be turned off in custom games, but competitive play will still use Champions of course:

When asked if the studio would consider including an option that would allow players to turn off Champions' unique abilities and compete using mechanically identical characters a la classic Quake, Willits responded: "Yeah, in custom game mode."

"We want to make sure we give people what they want," said Willits. "If you create custom game mode, you should be able to set the game up the way you want. If you need to turn off Champions, we'll let you turn off Champions. That won't be a problem."

Though Quake Champions' competitive modes will still utilize the titular heroes' full ability sets, custom matches will at least provide Quake purists a means to enjoy the game on their own terms. But Willits still thinks everyone should give the Champions a shot.

"I really do believe it adds to the experience, because you don't fundamentally change the way you play based on the Champion you have," said Willits. "You still run and shoot and pick up all the weapons. But the subtle variations add that level of strategy and depth that I think is the next step we need to take."

Looks good, but iD really needs some new art people. These characters are so ugh.

Also psyched for Diabotical... suddenly some new arena shooters again.

Top Bottom