• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex GO releases August 18th on Android and iOS

duckroll

Lara Croft GO was great, not as tough as hitman but a great game. Looking forward to this.

The add-on mission they patched into it later was MUCH tougher. I'm kinda sad they didn't have one more add-on like they did for Hitman, but if it means Deus Ex GO sooner... can't complain. :)

Getting this when it's out on Android, that's a great price. Already got the money in my account anyway from the Google surveys app.

Hope there's a PS4/Vita release in future. Mobile gaming is fun for a while but I much prefer it on console.

Moff

just bought it on android
seems to be cool, but I liked hitman go as well and never finished it, I hope deus ex has some more depth

munroe

Purchased on android using some survey reward money. Only played a small amount, runs smoothly on my Xperia Z3c. Well presented though no tips so didn't know how the cloak worked properly and how long it lasted.

Though it sure heats up the phone.

Peff

Is it possible to use rewards money to partially pay for something and use a credit card for the rest like in Steam? I have 4,81 in surveys but I can't find an option to do that. Guess I may have to wait a few days.

pahamrick

Is it possible to use rewards money to partially pay for something and use a credit card for the rest like in Steam? I have 4,81 in surveys but I can't find an option to do that. Guess I may have to wait a few days.

Just check out, it'll use your credit money and charge any credit card on record the remaining amount.

d9GVmmP.png

Peff

Just check out, it'll use your credit money and charge any credit card on record the remaining amount.

d9GVmmP.png

That worked. Thanks!

The "go look" really suits the HR/MD aesthetic and art direction. Only played the tutorial so far but while it could be a little less guided the use of augmentations should be quite fun later on. Hopefully they'll take on FF next, that should be something.

duckroll

YAY! Let's GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I love these games. Really hope one day S-E Japan lets them use the JP IPs like FF for this series.

Evo X

Waiting for impressions before I pull the trigger. Love Deus Ex, but don't really play any mobile games.

Just played a few levels, and it looks like SE has another mobile hit with this one. I have zero ties to the franchise and hated the last one on consoles, but I'm loving this so far. I'm not into mobile gaming, and hate FTP models, so this is perfect. It's a great piece of work that doesn't take mobile as a medium for those that don't care about polish or good design. It's a great game(so far), that just happens to be on mobile platforms. Same goes for Hitman Go and Tomb Raider Go.

Just played a few levels, and it looks like SE has another mobile hit with this one. I have zero ties to the franchise and hated the last one on consoles, but I'm loving this so far. I'm not into mobile gaming, and hate FTP models, so this is perfect. It's a great piece of work that doesn't take mobile as a medium for those that don't care about polish or good design. It's a great game(so far), that just happens to be on mobile platforms. Same goes for Hitman Go and Tomb Raider Go.
I mean, there are many dozens of games like that

I mean, there are many dozens of games like that
Sure, I'm just stating this is one of them. Mobile seems to have a very negative connotation to it with a lot of people, regardless of what we think about it. I'm just giving this game some credit, because it deserves it. The Go series has a balance of nice design for mobile play while not being mind numbing along with great theming of the source material.

Sure, I'm just stating this is one of them. Mobile seems to have a very negative connotation to it with a lot of people, regardless of what we think about it. I'm just giving this game some credit, because it deserves it. The Go series has a balance of nice design for mobile play while not being mind numbing along with great theming of the source material.
That's the series' biggest achievement IMO. How they condense the core aspects of their series into tight mobile-friendly turn-based puzzler packages

stuminus3

Banned
I really thought this was free. Were Tomb Raider and Hitman GO paid as well? I was slightly interested but now I think I'll pass. Nice for those interested of course. I'd rather have MD.
This is the worst thing I've ever read on NeoGAF. And I browse the OT.

duckroll

Played the first six stages. I know these games always start out slow and the first handful are meant to be tutorials, but the final stage of this first set really triggered me. The solution being such that you block a guard on alert from returning to his post while he is still on alert using another guard who is no longer on alert is... really fucking stupid especially given the presentation of the graphics lol. There's something hilarious about watching this guard all enraged, in red, and titan armor'd up, being totally helpless as I have infinite turns to move right in front of him to the desk he was guarding, because he's being blocked by a fellow guard right in front of him who happens to be facing the wrong direction. Roflmao.

Wanderer5

Oh crap didn't notice it out already. Bought and downloading.

Played the first six stages. I know these games always start out slow and the first handful are meant to be tutorials, but the final stage of this first set really triggered me. The solution being such that you block a guard on alert from returning to his post while he is still on alert using another guard who is no longer on alert is... really fucking stupid especially given the presentation of the graphics lol. There's something hilarious about watching this guard all enraged, in red, and titan armor'd up, being totally helpless as I have infinite turns to move right in front of him to the desk he was guarding, because he's being blocked by a fellow guard right in front of him who happens to be facing the wrong direction. Roflmao.

Yeah that looked really silly.XD

Got confused by the first hacking section for a few seconds until I realised how it works. Definitely allows for some interesting puzzle design later on but so far nothing's been too bad. Things like trapping guards on other guards does seem a bit silly but then this is a GO game, so these aren't real people, it's more like board game pieces or clockwork automatons or inanimate software scripts or whatever you want to imagine.

Up to the third set of levels and getting the impression this'll be harder than Croft vanilla which is probably a good thing, based mostly on the slightly higher complexity of object interactions.

duckroll

I'm not sure if I'm missing something or just not far enough yet, but what's the optional bonus challenge/collection thing in Deus Ex GO? Hitman had the optional objectives, Lara Croft had the hidden artifacts, what does Deus Ex have?

I'm not sure if I'm missing something or just not far enough yet, but what's the optional bonus challenge/collection thing in Deus Ex GO? Hitman had the optional objectives, Lara Croft had the hidden artifacts, what does Deus Ex have?

All I've seen is a Par no. of moves in the bottom left corner. If you finish in that no., the level symbol goes Gold. No other side-missions/hidden things I don't think. At least, none suggested by the UI or made clear in any levels I've seen.

For the main levels there only seems to be number of moves taken when completing the level, at least what I've seen so far. Looking at the achievement list there seem to be weekly challenges as well, maybe they're focusing more on number of levels rather than extra things within those levels. I mean, with the hacking and the powers ups it could be that they just don't want to overcomplicate things.

duckroll

Oh, there are going to be weekly challenges updated? That's great in that case. I was mostly wondering about replay value and how they can give the satisfaction that you have really completed and mastered the game rather than just playing through all the stages successfully. With the par moves system and weekly stuff, that should be more than enough. <3

Mik2121

I remember reading some stuff about a level editor. Have you guys heard anything else, or I'm imagining stuff?

Edit: There you go, haha

Wanderer5

Oh, there are going to be weekly challenges updated? That's great in that case. I was mostly wondering about replay value and how they can give the satisfaction that you have really completed and mastered the game rather than just playing through all the stages successfully. With the par moves system and weekly stuff, that should be more than enough. <3

There also plans for a level maker sometime in the next few months.

didn't hitman and lara have a par moves system?

From the videos I saw of Hitman, it looks like it does, but Lara Croft doesn't have it.

Moff

I, I thought so, I didn't finish Hitman and didn't play Lara.

Played Deus Ex a bit further and I like the mechanics, but damn, these games always make me feel so stupid

I prefer the level optimisation criteria to the pixel-hunting one, and it also points to the game being harder to 100%, but man, it means the game would really benefit from an Undo button. If you're going for par, one mis-swipe and you basically have to reset the whole level.

selo

I've never played any GO game, but I had heard they're good, and since I'm a big deus ex fan, decided to pull the trigger. Too bad the hotels internet is super slow :(.

Hopefully i won't be disappointed, mobile games usually do :( (last game i bought was harvest moon and I played it for about 20 minutes and never touched it again)

SJRB

Gold Member
Didn't really cared for Hitman GO, got kinda bored of the concept after the first five or so levels.

But getting this one because it's Deus Ex.

duckroll

Didn't really cared for Hitman GO, got kinda bored of the concept after the first five or so levels.

But getting this one because it's Deus Ex.

Too bad. The first 10-15 levels of GO games are always pretty basic to allow the player to get familiar with what to expect from the mechanics. It's the stuff after that when there is no more hand holding or obvious hints where the games get super fun.

NeoRaider

Art style, animations, audio... must be one of the most beautiful smartphone games. But after Lara Croft GO i am not surprised at all. It's amazing!

Fordy

OK so this is my first 'GO' game and I'm stuck on the 3rd level :). What am I supposed to do with the voltage triangles?

EDIT: Got it, think I had to double tap.

how does it compare with lara croft go. better or worse?

I suck at giving opinions on these things, but I'll try to give it a quick rundown. I'm liking it, but thus far I don't think the gameplay is quite as good.
  • It's maybe slightly simpler? I'm done four of seven chapters, so there's still room for them to add complexity in the last third of the game.
  • I liked Croft's atmospheric soundtrack and environments more, but I think that DX's fits its property, so that comes down to taste.
  • It actually has a narrative. There's not a lot there, but it adds a little bit of intrigue to the puzzles. Not enough to bog it down, just a line or five every level or three.
  • One major positive is that they've replaced Lara Croft's smattering of collectibles with a 'mastery' status for beating a level in the fewest moves possible. Big fan of this one.
  • There are no unlockable alt costumes that I can see, but Jensen doesn't really lend himself to them.
  • There's 'weekly collections.' I haven't tried these yet, but I suspect they're just regular content drops. Not sure if they'll be time limited and constantly refreshing or cumulatively adding up to do at your leisure. I've steered clear because they make it plain that these spoil all gameplay revelations in the story mode.
  • On iOS the game has achievements, and there are five unlockable praxis kits in Deus Ex Mankind Divided for completing various tasks in GO. Whether that's a good or bad thing is pretty subjective, I know a lot of people aren't fond of cross game-bonuses that twist your arm into buying things you hadn't intended to.
Sorry, that's probably more than you're looking for. I know you just asked if it's as good. I like it, but there are plusses and minuses for me, so far.

Wanderer5

There are no unlockable alt costumes that I can see, but Jensen doesn't really lend himself to them.

Well honestly doesn't seem to be a thing for the Deus Ex series :p, compare to Tomb Raider where especially in the later games there are decent amount of outfits for Lara.

Anyway at level 33, and so far it is pretty good. I with you about liking the music and environments more in Lara Croft GO, but Deus Ex still sounds and looks great, fitting with the series.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I... don't at all care for the story in this game. Didn't Lara Croft have an awesome wordless thing? This game is such a massive step down, tonally.

Phionoxx

I'm enjoying what I've played so far but am only in the third set piece area. We will see if I stick with this one or not. Still need to get around to finishing Hitman and Tomb Raider versions.

Top Bottom