• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex GO releases August 18th on Android and iOS

Beat it. To update my earlier post...

I suck at giving opinions on these things, but I'll try to give it a quick rundown. I'm liking it, but thus far I don't think the gameplay is quite as good.
  • It's maybe slightly simpler? I'm done four of seven chapters, so there's still room for them to add complexity in the last third of the game.
  • I liked Croft's atmospheric soundtrack and environments more, but I think that DX's fits its property, so that comes down to taste.
  • It actually has a narrative. There's not a lot there, but it adds a little bit of intrigue to the puzzles. Not enough to bog it down, just a line or five every level or three.
  • One major positive is that they've replaced Lara Croft's smattering of collectibles with a 'mastery' status for beating a level in the fewest moves possible. Big fan of this one.
  • There are no unlockable alt costumes that I can see, but Jensen doesn't really lend himself to them.
  • There's 'weekly collections.' I haven't tried these yet, but I suspect they're just regular content drops. Not sure if they'll be time limited and constantly refreshing or cumulatively adding up to do at your leisure. I've steered clear because they make it plain that these spoil all gameplay revelations in the story mode.
  • On iOS the game has achievements, and there are five unlockable praxis kits in Deus Ex Mankind Divided for completing various tasks in GO. Whether that's a good or bad thing is pretty subjective, I know a lot of people aren't fond of cross game-bonuses that twist your arm into buying things you hadn't intended to.
Sorry, that's probably more than you're looking for. I know you just asked if it's as good. I like it, but there are plusses and minuses for me, so far.

The gameplay came through in a big way towards the latter chapter. The game ... casually points to abilities you've had all along and in my case, never noticed, which adds a dimension to it. The challenge and complexity ramps up appropriately as you approach the end. I think it equals the Croft main game in basic puzzle design by the end. No shortcomings there. I do think that Croft remains the more visually and acoustically appealing game, though. The verticality of Croft, the natural environments, the soundtrack, and Lara's awesome animations just give it that edge up. And yeah, the minimal approach of Croft to storytelling shows up the gutless written story of DXGO.

I liked this game a lot, but I'm satisfied saying that Lara Croft GO is the better of the two.

Spierek

So far it's alright, but I enjoyed Lara Croft GO a lot more. Doesn't help that the story is garbage, completely presented out of context and without anything that might engage the player to continue.

What do you get for nailing the stages within the move limit?

Moff

So far it's alright, but I enjoyed Lara Croft GO a lot more. Doesn't help that the story is garbage, completely presented out of context and without anything that might engage the player to continue.

What do you get for nailing the stages within the move limit?

1 praxis kit for mankind divided if you do it for all of them

Stopdoor

Yeah, I'm on 'Area 4' and have to say I'll probably agree Lara Croft Go is the 'better' game, but it's not like this one is bad really. The atmosphere and wordless story in Lara Croft was just really appealing.

Also, it does feel especially silly dealing with the weird behaviours of enemies in this game - at least in Hitman, everyone was a game board piece, and in Lara Croft it was all creatures, here the enemies feel the most 'real' so it feels especially silly to outsmart them by blocking each other and moving back and forth right to the side of them. But whatever, they've clearly hit on a great core game design here so it's worth that unrealism.

BBboy20

This game have some hidden loading? Because my game seems to be stuck with just showing the title.

EDIT: It is the start screen, just touch. -______________-

duckroll

Deus Ex GO has better puzzles than vanilla LCGO, but the presentation is a step back. It feels a lot lamer because the story is bad, the conversations can't be skipped, and the backgrounds are more static and boring.

I'm glad they're experimenting with each game, but with the next game I hope they go back to the Hitman aesthetic. That game was beautiful in its simplicity.

Echoing the praises, as I'm enjoying the hell out of this as well. Not sure what other Go titles they have planned, but I'm totally jumping in Day 1. A Thief Go would be pretty sweet. Using shadows and different arrows, a wait item so an enemy can pass as you hide for one turn, every level can be beaten with "clean stealth", pick pockets for keys and treasure, etc. I'd be down.

I'm glad they're experimenting with each game, but with the next game I hope they go back to the Hitman aesthetic. That game was beautiful in its simplicity.
The board pieces were great to look at.

Kalor

I've enjoyed this so far but the presentation could be better. It feels really bland so far compared to Lara Croft but that might have been a consequence of wanting to include a level editor. Though I'm looking forward to see where the puzzles go as there are a bunch of small intricacies with how different mechanics interact.

duckroll

Finished the story campaign. I really wish they didn't try so hard to have a story in this one. Could have just been VR simulations with Jensen in it, and I would be fine. The "choice" at the end was hilarious. Talk about trying to shoehorn something into a genre where it doesn't fit. Lol.

Some things I should point out about this game though:

- There are doing live weekly updates to the game from the looks of things, and after beating the story mode, the Live tab has 5 new stages available. It says the next event is updating in 1 day 14 hours. So if they keep this up, it's going to have way more content than Hitman GO and Lara Croft GO. They're not shitting stages either. Played 2 so far, good use of the mechanics, and they're designed for players who are already very familiar with how the game works.

- Do Sign In and check out the Achievements available for the game. You'll find some challenges there which for some reason aren't actually part of the game UI itself. They should have implemented it like Hitman GO did, but nonetheless, there are Achievements for playing certain stages in a different way (I think there were 3 specific missions), and it was pretty fun doing those. There are also Achievements for doing dumb shit like getting killed while cloaked, killed by your own turret, and one for lighting up every single node on the map while hacking.

Overall I definitely feel that puzzle wise, I am more satisfied with this than I was with the vanilla LC GO. The add-on missions to LCGO made up for a lot of it, but the tail end DEGO story missions are already on that level of challenge. With how the weekly missions are going to be designed for players looking for more challenge, all we can go from here is up. Hitman GO is still the champion when it came to puzzling though. Hopefully they can surpass that some day.

I'm now done the game, with the masteries, and I've finished the first two weeks of bonus puzzles... save the very most recent, which was released friday.

Even on puzzle difficulty, I think this falls a little short. I struggled with some of the stuff in the Lara Croft bonus chapter for aaaages per stage. I haven't had that much trouble with a single stage yet. Not even when trying to get the masteries. I will say, however, that that above mentioned most recent stage, which is called 'Short circuit' is currently kicking my ass. Might be the hardest one yet. Has anyone kept up with these weeklies, care to weigh in on what they've found challenging so far?

Stopdoor

What I think is a step back in this game is that the mechanics kind of cheat. Those blue 'power-ups' serve multiple purposes, but it's not sign-posted at all - you just enter a level, and it might let you use it to do one thing, another thing, or another thing, just what they randomly decide to gate you with or not. It doesn't make a lot of sense and makes you feel restricted for no reason? It's a linear power-up for the story, but for these weekly challenges they restrict and un-restrict the power-up for each stage all over the place, and you're left experimenting with deciding what they'll let you do, which seems wrong?

You can't even see how many of the power-ups you're holding, which actually becomes a crucial mechanic as well - just feels like design failure, which is kind of surprising considering how well done and thought out most of the the series' mechanics are.

I definitely feel like Deus Ex GO was likely hampered by needing to be released around Mankind Divided, like the classic problems of movie tie-in games.

It feels like a noticeable step back. The animations are great, and the aesthetic is awesome, but gone are the multi-stage multi-tiered levels of Lara Craft GO, the moveable obstacles, the sense of a continuous narrative rather than separate puzzles. It even has less puzzle elements/items than Hitman GO. While this has hacking, cloaking, armor, etc., Hitman had disguises and distractions and different weapons and other mechanics. Lara Croft had collapsing tiles and environmental hazards that could be manipulated like the pillars or boulders and complex interplays between traps, enemies, switches and pressure plates, and items like the spear

BBboy20

What I think is a step back in this game is that the mechanics kind of cheat. Those blue 'power-ups' serve multiple purposes, but it's not sign-posted at all - you just enter a level, and it might let you use it to do one thing, another thing, or another thing, just what they randomly decide to gate you with or not. It doesn't make a lot of sense and makes you feel restricted for no reason? It's a linear power-up for the story, but for these weekly challenges they restrict and un-restrict the power-up for each stage all over the place, and you're left experimenting with deciding what they'll let you do, which seems wrong?

You can't even see how many of the power-ups you're holding, which actually becomes a crucial mechanic as well - just feels like design failure, which is kind of surprising considering how well done and thought out most of the the series' mechanics are.
These Go games made by the same dev?

duckroll

I don't think having less puzzle elements is a result of it being rushed out for Mankind Divided. I think that it having a half baked "story mode" and then supplementing content with weekly sets of daily puzzles is a result of it being rushed out for Mankind Divided.

The puzzle elements being more simplified do not make the puzzles themselves more simple. I definitely find it more challenging on average than vanilla Lara Croft GO. The reason I think the puzzle elements are simplified is because they're clearly meant to be modular here, to support the level editor they promised to add in later on. It makes sense to me that if you're going to release a level editor for users, that you would want the rule set to be more generally defined rather than having gimmicks which could be completely unique to specific stages. Which also explains why there isn't anything like the multi-stage boss fight at the end of LCGO.

Mhmmm 2077

Any idea why it never released on Steam? Lara Croft GO (at least 200k copies sold*) and Hitman GO (at least 100k copies sold*) are there...

*according to SteamSpy.com

Top Bottom