• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch Competitive Play Season 2 Changes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqh8tnHhIjg

• Skill rank changes from 1-100 to 1-5000 to better differentiate player skill.
  • (Re)introducing Skill Rating Tiers. I.E your Golds, Plats, etc. At Diamond or lower, you won't drop below your current tier.
  • Competitive point gains and gold gun costs multiplied by 10. Also applies to your current point bank.
  • Coin toss is going away, all sudden death is going away.
  • Big changes to how Assault works, especially the bonus time format. After your team captures point A in your first offensive round, for every subsequent point A capture, you gain 30 seconds of bonus time. In the second offensive attempt, the 2 minute mercy rule for teams with little time left after their first has been reduced to one minute, plus whatever time the team gained from the mercy rule will also be applied to the other team. For example, one team finished their first offensive round with 47 seconds left, in their 2nd attempt they will have 1 minute instead, gaining them 13 seconds, these 13 second bonus will also be applied to the other team, no matter how long they have left.
  • Time bank system is going to be applied on Payload maps, if both teams push the payload to the end, they will both push the payload again with the amount of the time they have left in the first attempt. There is possibility of tie but should be extremely rare.
  • Both team will have some comp points with a tie, just not as much as a win (keep in mind a win awards 10 CPs now).
  • Subsequent "assemble your team" time after the first round is reduced.
  • Skill rating difference between players when teaming up is significantly reduced, now 500 within the 1-5000 scale, equivalent to 10 in the 1-100 scale.
  • Diamond, Master and Grandmaster division players' skill rating will now decay, if you don't play the game for 7 days, your SR will drop 50 ratings every 24 hours. Bottom floor is Diamond, won't drop below that.
  • Top 500 now requires 50 matches minimum.

Playing some comp games last night, my group had a rating of 60. We got matched up twice in row against a team with a rating of 71, they had one player in the top 500. We got steamrolled needless to say. So, that first bullet point is a welcome change.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Watch me stay in rank 50 even with this change.

let me escape from this hell

Every time I attempted to play competitive, even with a friend, and we would win, I would gain virtually no XP, no matter how well we did.

When I lost, I would always lose half a rank, two losses would always drop me a rank. No matter how well I did.

So my rank never got above 51 (my original rank) because of this.

I was hoping for better rewards, as the s1 exclusive icons were ugly and so are golden weapons. Exclusive competitive skins would make me dive in.

maouvin

Competitive point gains and gold gun costs multiplied by 10.

So I'll get around 180 purples due to my ranking (plus whatever I got winning, but I played around 40 matches tops), and then the weapon cost will go from 300 to 3000?
Well then.

Changes looking solid either way.

The x10 change goes along with the tie change, in tied games both teams will get some points, they can't give a team 0.5 so they multiplied it by 10.

So the comp points you get this season will be minuscule compared to next. Hope they adjust your current point by x10

Yes it does I'll add it to the summary.

Camjo-Z

Uh... do competitive points from Season 1 get multiplied by 10 too? Cuz otherwise I basically just wasted my fucking time reaching 65 points in S1 when the cost of gold skins is going to shoot up to 3000 instead of 300.

Zomba13

Wait... Why? It'll still take as many wins and as long to get the weapon but just more points? Do they really need to inflate numbers like in WoW? Wait till Season 5 where you need a billion points for a gold wep but don't worry, you still get 1 million per win.

Uh... do competitive points from Season 1 get multiplied by 10 too? Cuz otherwise I basically just wasted my fucking time reaching 65 points in S1 when the cost of gold skins is going to shoot up to 3000 instead of 300.

Also this.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
lol

Z3M0G

No regrets trading this in after only reaching rank 10.

I'll check back in a year or so. See where things are at.

maouvin

Well, it'll only change on season 2, so you could use your 65 reward and grab a golden gun before that.
Whatever you have over 300 though... yeah.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gold costs are there to offset the rating changes. Everything is just being scaled up for granularity's sake.

I highly doubt they wont multiply your existing points by 10 either.

All seems fine.

Yea, that's what he said in the video.

AsakuraZ

The extra 30 seconds is nice when capping points on assault when you hit overtime. Its kind of disheartening when you make a comeback and then you have zero time to make it to the next point.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The 5000 skill rating will just make the gap that much more noticeable especially with a 500 difference.

But I only have 68 CP right now and will be getting 200 for reaching rank 63. Does that mean I'm fucked if I want my golden weapon? I was hoping to get the remaining CP in season 2 :(

Edit: nvm, seems the current points get multiplied. Couldn't watch the video since I'm on mobile.

Camjo-Z

Yea, that's what he said in the video.

hKbd3mk.gif

Well, no bother trying to rank up like crazy these last days, I wont be able to buy Mercy weapons unless blizzard doubles , sorry, x10 the current amount of Season 1 coins

Maybe you should play the game because you enjoy it instead of trying to get a skin no one will ever see or care about

Interfectum

So there's no change at all? What's the point of this?

So they have wiggle room to give you less points in future instances.

In the current system, the winner gets 1 point. What if they wanted to do a tie breaker win for both or even give the loser something? They can't. So the best thing to do is give the winning team 10 points and then they have a way to give non-winner/tie breaker players less points should the need arise.

What is up with your rank decaying if you can't pkay for a week? Hopefully, those grandmaster ranks are really high because I won't have the time when college starts. Seems easily overridable though.

The removal of sudden death/coin flip is very welcome. I've lost too many good matches because I've had to attack even though our team capped way faster than the other.

Top Bottom