• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New pic of Pennywise from "IT" (2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirca

I know that the Frankenstein, Mummy, and Teenage Werewolf are all but confirmed to be out since they're updating some of Pennywise's forms to fit the new era.

But I really hope Mike's bird makes the cut.

FWIW, Silver was described as being pretty beat up/worn looking even when Bill was a kid. I seem to remember a passage about "silver" being a rather optimistic name for a dull grey old bike.
The pop culture monsters of the 80's era were Freddy, Jason, and Michael. I really hope we don't see things based off of them. Mike's bird encounter was terrifying, I'm praying that makes it.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
The pop culture monsters of the 80's era were Freddy, Jason, and Michael. I really hope we don't see things based off of them. Mike's bird encounter was terrifying, I'm praying that makes it.
I would flip my shit if they got all my favorite slashers in this, but no way it'll happen.

Dollars to donuts it's generic monsters that they somehow give context in the film. Dracula, Wolfman, and Frankenstein's monster are all public domain.

They gotta include the bird and, man, SOMETHING about the Black Spot.

Looks like the idiot brother to the Queen of Hearts/Red Queen from the recent Alice in Wonderland movies. Way too evil and fantasy.

alice-in-wonderland-queen-of-hearts.jpg

Not feeling it AT ALL.

i rewatched the original for the first time in probably 15 years or so and... it was pretty bad. i will say i had just finished reading the book (which i had never done), and obviously the book is always going to be superior, but they gutted like 75% of the story. beyond that, the effects were hilariously bad in some spots. i'll cut it some slack because i know it was a made-for-tv mini-series but it just didn't sit well with me.

however, pennywise was awesome

Afrocious

The joke is that people are to this day convinced the Tim Curry miniseries and the book are good.

The book, of the two, was actually scary but falls apart at the end. King was strung the fuck out probably writing that chapter about the boys running that train on that girl in the sewers.

Seeing these new images really makes me wish this was a 13 episode series on Netflix.

The joke is that people are to this day convinced the Tim Curry miniseries and the book are good.

The book, of the two, was actually scary but falls apart at the end. King was strung the fuck out probably writing that chapter about the boys running that train on that girl in the sewers.
The whole final act, minus the train on Bev, is one of my favorite parts. The battle with Pennywise and the town blowing to shit because of it still sticks with me. And most people who love the TV miniseries love it because of Tim Curry as Pennywise.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I wouldn't want this job if I were an actor tbh. Tim Curry nailed it and will be a hard act to follow.... everyone will just compare his portrayal to yours. Losing proposition.

Seeing these new images really makes me wish this was a 13 episode series on Netflix.

The whole final act, minus the train on Bev, is one of my favorite parts. The battle with Pennywise and the town blowing to shit because of it still sticks with me. And most people who love the TV miniseries love it because of Tim Curry as Pennywise.

Yeah the
Ritual of Chud
was sweet. No idea if that will be reproduced in the movie. I mean, with decent CG, it's more than possible, I'd be kinda surprised if they tried though.

And for those that haven't read it, that does not refer to the gangbang lmao.

I don't know exactly how much I like the outfit itself, but the coloring is actually spot on. IIRC the book describes Pennywise as wearing a silvery, old-timey clown costume with bright orange pomfs down the front like buttons (old-timey even for the period the children's arc took place in). Reading the book, I guess in my head I always had a flat, baggy, reflective silvery bodysuit in mind, but they decided to go for an aging silvery-gray and something SERIOUSLY old fashioned. I mean, the presentation of the outfit is actually a lot closer to what I would expect having read the book, at least compared to the Tim Curry version.

And to be fair, if they want to be closer to book accurate, we won't see Pennywise all that often anyway compared to the various forms he takes on. Pennywise doesn't do a lot of luring kids in to their deaths in the book, aside from Georgie, who if I recall was pretty nervous about Pennywise but managed to be suckered in mostly by the balloon. Generally, by the time anyone sees him he's already Frankenstein's Monster, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, a giant bird, a leper, a mummy, etc. The clown form is, for the vast majority of the book, not a lure but a specter that torments Bill, who already knows how evil he is. Like, for real, he doesn't go to kids' parties, he hides in lakes and under bridges and transforms into their greatest fears before killing people.

I guess I'll say, the outfit is a bit silly looking but is a lot closer to the book's description than the colorful Tim Curry outfit. Meanwhile, while I do think that the clown looks a little more obviously malicious than he needs to, it doesn't really work against the material like some say, it's just kinda bland and cliche.

All in all, it's a decent design, a touch tacky but generally closer to the book thanks to the outfit, and the real question is whether or not that translates to us seeing more of It in its other forms (like the giant bird that attacks Mike Hanlon, with the silvery tongue and orange pomfs lining it)

zeemumu

The outfit ruins it. The head/hair/makeup are compelling.

the outfit seems to be going for that super classic clown look, which makes sense if Pennywise has been doing this for hundreds of years. But the face still seems like it's trying too hard to be scary. For Tim Curry's, it wasn't the makeup that made it creepy as much as it was his expressions. He looked like an angry clown, but still a clown.

the outfit seems to be going for that super classic clown look, which makes sense if Pennywise has been doing this for hundreds of years. But the face still seems like it's trying too hard to be scary. For Tim Curry's, it wasn't the makeup that made it creepy as much as it was his expressions. He looked like an angry clown, but still a clown.

Yeah, the memorable thing for me with Tim Curry's version was definitely how he'd contort his face with all of his expressions. Granted, we're not seeing this new version in motion but I don't know how many times they can have this new Pennywise mug for the camera with his head tilted down and eyes tilted up. It's like he's just trying to hard to look creepy when I always thought kind of the whole point with Pennywise was that he comes across as a normal jovial clown until he's not.

Matty77

I don't know exactly how much I like the outfit itself, but the coloring is actually spot on. IIRC the book describes Pennywise as wearing a silvery, old-timey clown costume with bright orange pomfs down the front like buttons (old-timey even for the period the children's arc took place in). Reading the book, I guess in my head I always had a flat, baggy, reflective silvery bodysuit in mind, but they decided to go for an aging silvery-gray and something SERIOUSLY old fashioned. I mean, the presentation of the outfit is actually a lot closer to what I would expect having read the book, at least compared to the Tim Curry version.

And to be fair, if they want to be closer to book accurate, we won't see Pennywise all that often anyway compared to the various forms he takes on. Pennywise doesn't do a lot of luring kids in to their deaths in the book, aside from Georgie, who if I recall was pretty nervous about Pennywise but managed to be suckered in mostly by the balloon. Generally, by the time anyone sees him he's already Frankenstein's Monster, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, a giant bird, a leper, a mummy, etc. The clown form is, for the vast majority of the book, not a lure but a specter that torments Bill, who already knows how evil he is. Like, for real, he doesn't go to kids' parties, he hides in lakes and under bridges and transforms into their greatest fears before killing people.

I guess I'll say, the outfit is a bit silly looking but is a lot closer to the book's description than the colorful Tim Curry outfit. Meanwhile, while I do think that the clown looks a little more obviously malicious than he needs to, it doesn't really work against the material like some say, it's just kinda bland and cliche.

All in all, it's a decent design, a touch tacky but generally closer to the book thanks to the outfit, and the real question is whether or not that translates to us seeing more of It in its other forms (like the giant bird that attacks Mike Hanlon, with the silvery tongue and orange pomfs lining it)
Thank you, someone else who gets it.

Plus as I already said back when the thread was made other than Curry the miniseries wasn't all that good and (granted it's because of budget and network standards) not a very accurate adaption.

People need to realize it's not a remake but a new adaption of the same source material.

zeemumu

Yeah, the memorable thing for me with Tim Curry's version was definitely how he'd contort his face with all of his expressions. Granted, we're not seeing this new version in motion but I don't know how many times they can have this new Pennywise mug for the camera with his head tilted down and eyes tilted up. It's like he's just trying to hard to look creepy when I always thought kind of the whole point with Pennywise was that he comes across as a normal jovial clown until he's not.

Yeah, exactly.

First he's all like this
Then he'll randomly become this

I don't expect him to ham it up like Curry and I appreciate the more classic clown design but he still looks slightly too blatantly evil. Maybe it's that forehead...

.JayZii

Banned
It might work well in motion, but I'm not feeling these photos that have come out. I understand they're going for an old timey clown, but it just comes across as over-designed. At the end it's all going to be down to the performance, and I hope it's good. They might be leaning less on the clown form and showcasing the other forms it takes in this adaptation anyway.

The Neibolt Street house looks great.

I don't see why anyone would say people thinking It is good is a joke, other than trying to sound edgy. The miniseries is good if only for Tim Curry's performance, and many people think the book is great on its own. It's a fucking tome, and there's one small part of it with questionable content (which is still weird, but less weird in context) that everyone cites as a reason for why the whole book is bad. It's fine to not like the book, but to only cite the preteen sex in the sewers just makes it seem like you heard about it second hand or read something off of wikipedia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom