• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Bloodborne - It's a special game!

Oni Jazar

I played Ultima VII around that age and it had scenes of mutilation and lesbianism in it. I could handle it.

(That said, if my mom had known, I doubt she would have been amused...)

Graphics were a bit different then heh. ;)

mRnV7LS.jpg

f852b31.jpg

The Ummah

Banned
Bought this last Thanksgiving for $1 (Thank you, Best Buy GC), and never even approached the first boss before moving to another title. I'm new to the whole Souls series of games.

Finally had a breakthrough after reinstalling about a week ago, and I am so hooked now. I've tackled
the first two bosses and have advanced to the area with the dude on the big ass gun. Why is there a dude with a big ass gun??? Lol!

Amazing game.

Nice LTTP.

Bloodborne is a moment-by-moment life lesson in how to cope with loss. It's a microcosm of the life lesson that with patience and repetition, what was utterly impossible yesterday is commonplace and easy today. That's actually kinda incredible.

Cess007

Will you let your kid reach and play
Forbidden Woods
? I don't know if my 11-years old self could have handled that place ._.

Of course. Many of us played obtuse, non-tutorialized NES and SNES/Genesis games when we were little kids and we figured things out, after all.

Yeah, this always comes to mind when I see praise like the OP. I like bloodborne just fine, but literally EVERY game I played in the NES era was like that.

Git Gud or Get out.

Bonus points for renting crap from blockbuster that was just a cart in a case with no manual. Someone gave me Milon's Secret Castle like that, just straight up naked cart, no manual, no explanation.

you have no idea how confused I was, and how long it took me to get through that game.

I've been trying to get my fiance to play this game recently, and while I love it, I think it's biggest fault is the vials system.

Unlike other souls games, which replenish your vials upon death, dying only makes matters worse on Bloodborne. Forcing a struggling player to either deal with fighting a boss on 0 vials, or grind enemies for vials so that they can have a better chance at the boss.

For players that know what they're doing in the Souls universe, this issue hardly matters, vial drops are plentiful and provided you're not dying all the time you won't find yourself running out often. But for newcomers, it can be a rough experience, and one that ultimately ends up filled with tedious recollection of vials, more often than it does it's core gameplay. This can really confound the experience.

It's still my favourite game in this vein, but I don't recommend it to those new to the series.

I somehow convinced my mom to get me Mortal Kombat II at that age, so I don't think the OP is out of line. Thanks for reminding me that I need to download this apparent treasure. I could use a good ass kicking.

I've been trying to get my fiance to play this game recently, and while I love it, I think it's biggest fault is the vials system.

Unlike other souls games, which replenish your vials upon death, dying only makes matters worse on Bloodborne. Forcing a struggling player to either deal with fighting a boss on 0 vials, or grind enemies for vials so that they can have a better chance at the boss.

For players that know what they're doing in the Souls universe, this issue hardly matters, vial drops are plentiful and provided you're not dying all the time you won't find yourself running out often. But for newcomers, it can be a rough experience, and one that ultimately ends up filled with tedious recollection of vials, more often than it does it's core gameplay. This can really confound the experience.

It's still my favourite game in this vein, but I don't recommend it to those new to the series.

eh, this isn't as big an issue as you think.

Demon's Souls had grass. And the better grass was hanging around tougher stages. You can get vials from anywhere or straight up buy them in hunters dream.
No estus flasks that magically refilled themselves at a bonfire in DeS, you had to work. Don't want to farm? get better.

And that was the first game in the series! Dark souls was practically easy mode coming from DS.

Bloodborne is one hell of a special game. I love this game, also glad your kid likes it, a game like this probably would have kicked my ass when I was 11 but if I played this when I was a kid, holy crap, my mind would have been blown into the cosmos.

I need to put more time into this game. Haven't even been able to get to the first boss!

Edit:

Almost the same situation for me too! And I'm an old school gamer. I played the Contras, Castlevanias, Mega Man's, ect.

Just do it like rocky says in the new creed movie take it slow one step, one slash, one dead monster and don't be discouraged when you die. Shit happens.

Sanctuary

Demon's_Souls_Cover.jpg

Side note: I thought it was humorous when some of the reviews actually claimed that when you respawned from death, you would end up with your vials refilled.

Demon's_Souls_Cover.jpg

Side note: I thought it was humorous when some of the reviews actually claimed that when you respawned from death, you would end up with your vials refilled.

Well, they're technically not wrong. On respawn, your vials do refill from the overflow you have back in the Hunter's Dream.

eot

Banned
eh, this isn't as big an issue as you think.

Demon's Souls had grass. And the better grass was hanging around tougher stages. You can get vials from anywhere or straight up buy them in hunters dream.
No estus flasks that magically refilled themselves at a bonfire in DeS, you had to work. Don't want to farm? get better.

And that was the first game in the series! Dark souls was practically easy mode coming from DS.

Uh, I'm sure he's played the game so however big the issue was for him I'm sure that's how it was. This debate was had a thousand times when the game came out. Personally I don't think having to grind for vials adds anything to the game at all and it's probably one of the most universal complaints. The "get better" comment is moronic, you get better by trying again, not grinding. It is completely missing the appeal of these games.

The vials system also makes stuff like SL4 runs a hell of a lot less fun.

Arkeband

Banned
Uh, I'm sure he's played the game so however big the issue was for him I'm sure that's how it was. This debate was had a thousand times when the game came out. Personally I don't think having to grind for vials adds anything to the game at all and it's probably one of the most universal complaints. The "get better" comment is moronic, you get better by trying again, not grinding. It is completely missing the appeal of these games.

The vials system also makes stuff like SL4 runs a hell of a lot less fun.

It was worse at launch, before they patched higher stacking inventory and (I think?) some blood echo buffs.

It becomes less of a problem the further you get into the game, regardless. Vials will be something you spend leftover echoes on eventually.

LordOfChaos

Will you let your kid reach and play
Forbidden Woods
? I don't know if my 11-years old self could have handled that place ._.

What was so bad about that? Being in the woods led to some "what's behind that", but the enemies weren't overly creepy in it I find.

Now once you get to the
Unseen Village
and get past the first area, now that's gory, skeletons lining the walls that looked to be trying to escape, skeletons in tortured poses on spears in the ground providing light, skeleton piles chasing you...Lots of spooky skeletons really.

GHG

When I was 11 I used to drop any game if I died alot lol.

Don't lie. You know you would find a way to continue with the game because it was the only game your parents had bought for you in 6 months.

Unless you were spoilt of course...

Nerokis

It was worse at launch, before they patched higher stacking inventory and (I think?) some blood echo buffs.

It becomes less of a problem the further you get into the game, regardless. Vials will be something you spend leftover echoes on eventually.

I would suggest spending echoes on vials (and the store in general) from the beginning. You're going to be getting to know the weapons, feeling out a build, and dying over and over again. Buying stuff alleviates a lot of the stress from that process.

LordOfChaos

Don't lie. You know you would find a way to continue with the game because it was the only game your parents had bought for you in 6 months.

Unless you were spoilt of course...

Lol, true. Gaming ADD was less of a problem when you got a game or two a year if you were lucky. Adulthood is a mixed blessing in being able to afford more games but having less time for them, and the amount of games you can afford piling up in your backlog.

Bloodborne is the first game in a while that's bucked the trend and I've stuck with without going to other games much.

TheRed

I know I was playing tons of M rated games when I was 11. Nothing really gruesome or sexual so no big deal. I played through Halo 1 when I was 6 lol.

tesqui

The game truly is one of the greats. I put the original Dark Souls right above it, but it really is quite special.

pablito

I started my second playthrough last week after playing it last year and not enjoying it. Cool game, and I'm enjoying it a lot more this time around.

I agree OP. The game oozes charm and artistry that is sorely lacking in many of the games today. It has a hook that doesn't let go, even though it brutalizes you at every turn.

Plus, it's got that style that just makes walking and deploying a weapon just so satisfying.

I just beast the second boss (Father Gascoigne) a few Shasta l days ago. Now I'm trudging through old Yharnam. No idea where the third boss is. Just beast the stupid mini gun shooter on the clock tower and his companion down below.

This game is still kicking my ass.

Easily in my top 10, probably even top 5. Still the best game of the generation for me.

So many memorable moments. My favourite was
when I got snatched by the Snatcher, the music in Hypogean Gaol gave me goosebump

I just beast the second boss (Father Gascoigne) a few Shasta l days ago. Now I'm trudging through old Yharnam. No idea where the third boss is. Just beast the stupid mini gun shooter on the clock tower and his companion down below.

Maybe it's because of how little of a solid grasp I had on the mechanics, but at the time Father Gascoigne was one of the bosses that gave me the most trouble. When he transformed it got scary real fast.

People hate on him, but Micolash is probably one of my favorite boss fights of all time. It felt like being high. It was nuts.

Let us sit about, and speak feverishly.
Chatting into the wee hours of...
New ideas, of the higher plane!

OOOOOOOOoooooo
tumblr_inline_nol0c7pXob1rhkoxp_500.gif

LordOfChaos

Sony,

I would buy a PS4pro if this game gets a 60 fps patch.

/DREEEEEEAAAAAAM

So would I, but I'm not putting up much hope of eking that out of 20% faster Jaguar cores, when Bloodborne already appears to stumble on what I guess to be the CPU sometimes (patches have reduced but not eliminated framerate drops).

Maybe an unlocked framerate patch is the best we can hope for? Without using their frame limiter it would get rid of the frame pacing issue.

You're going down the right path, and if you beat the gunner and his companion already you did better starting in that location than most! Keep going down that way.

Lorcain

My Bloodborne growing up was Mega Man on the NES in terms of difficulty. MM made almost all other games seem easy. I remember jumping up and down shouting with euphoric joy when I beat the final boss.

Your son will be well trained by the end of Bloodborne. You'll have a hard time finding better games to challenge him.

Ryde3

love Bloodborne with all my heart! It put me onto Soulsborne games! Definitely my favourite PS4 exclusive.

Maybe it's because of how little of a solid grasp I had on the mechanics, but at the time Father Gascoigne was one of the bosses that gave me the most trouble. When he transformed it got scary real fast.

Whoa whoa whoa... I'm a total noob. It took many attempts for me to beat Gascoigne. My winning attempt:
http://youtu.be/8usdyy_VB24

You're going down the right path, and if you beat the gunner and his companion already you did better starting in that location than most! Keep going down that way.
I only beat the gunner via dumb luck! He was kicking my ass, but he dashed at me when I was near the ledge. I dodged and hit him twice. That pushed him off the building! And he had nearly full health!

His companion down below had me consume 8 blood vials!

Dark Souls 3 was my first Souls game and I absolutely loved it. For some reason I'm not that interested in the previous Dark Souls games, but I've seen some Bloodborne gameplay footage and it looks incredibly fun. I think it's because the gameplay looks much faster-paced than the Souls games.

Edit: Just realized my first comment likely counted as port begging.

LordOfChaos

Whoa whoa whoa... I'm a total noob. It took many attempts for me to beat Gascoigne. My winning attempt:
http://youtu.be/8usdyy_VB24

This is what I love about it. I mean, you can level up, yes, but the game is hard. Not just hard, but actually feels hard. You get wrecked you're first couple hours until you get a BASIC understanding of the mechanics.

Then you proceed using these tools you've learned until you hit a wall where you need more tools. Not some shiny item, and not some cool skill, but you. You are the shiny item. One that gets shinier the more you polish.

It's an amazing feeling, one I recall so few games creating in me. When confidence replaces fear after something seeming insurmountable, amazing.

sentry65

It's learning difficulty is as special as any game in the 80's was. They don't treat the player like an idiot.

That said, I think the game needed a fairy pop out and say "listen" give you a wall of text on how to press L1 to attack, then walk you through how to press L1 right as you walk up to the bad guy.

That said the game is brilliant. A blueprint for how to make a good adventure

It's as special as any game in the 80's was. They don't treat the player like an idiot.

That said, I think the game needed a fairy pop out and say "listen" give you a wall of text on how to press L1 to attack, then walk you through how to press L1 right as you walk up to the bad guy.

But...it's R1 to attack.

LordOfChaos

It's learning difficulty is as special as any game in the 80's was. They don't treat the player like an idiot.

That said the game is brilliant. A blueprint for how to make a good adventure

When you're on the Bloodborne tile in the PS4 launcher, there's a manual for the game right below the Bloodborne icon.

Most people probably skip it and go straight to the game, but it's there if they need it. There's also button explanations scattered through the hunters dream which you encounter soon after the start.

It's great game design imo. It's as or as little informative as you want it.

Top Bottom