• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime: Federation Force |OT| Four Mech Adventures

So far I like the game for what it is. The first few levels definitely give off a familiar lonely aesthetic in single player. That said I do really enjoy the multiplayer when I had friends over, will have to try online soon,

colon

I picked this up today but I probably won't start it until next week when my co-op partner in Tokyo is able to buy it. Do we even know yet if the multiplayer is region locked...?

Ridley327

I picked this up today but I probably won't start it until next week when my co-op partner in Tokyo is able to buy it. Do we even know yet if the multiplayer is region locked...?

It's not for US and Europe (and probably Australia), but the verdict is out on Japan being able to join in the fun.

Effect

Going to need some detailed impressions on what the single player experience is like before I even consider picking this up. This has always been my deal breaker as the co-op is useless to me without proper communication. So if anyone is willing to share feel free. Thanks!

Chairhome

I'm at the second batch of levels, i may jump into the groups here when I get a chance. Tried to solo a few and it was pretty tough. I need co-op.

I read on the Nintendo page for this game that bowser, retro Mario and other Amiibos unlock paint jobs. How come I could only unlock x-ray with them? Samus and zss unlocked custom paint jobs

Kinsei

Banned
Going to need some detailed impressions on what the single player experience is like before I even consider picking this up. So if anyone is willing to share feel free. Thanks!

You won't be getting all the medals on every stage that's forsure. There are times when the group is meant to split up and do tasks on their own so you'd need to do all four on your own.

With the lone wolf mod installed (a single player only mod that you start with) you deal double damage and have double armor so you can deal with enemies more effectively.

I've done a few missions solo and it's fine but not as fun as multiplayer.

I'm at the second batch of levels, i may jump into the groups here when I get a chance. Tried to solo a few and it was pretty tough. I need co-op.

I read on the Nintendo page for this game that bowser, retro Mario and other Amiibos unlock paint jobs. How come I could only unlock x-ray with them? Samus and zss unlocked custom paint jobs

Samus, ZSS, and X-Ray (any amiibo except for Samus and ZSS) are the Federation Force skins. The rest are for Blast Ball.

Regiruler

Load times are very negligible so that benefit of digital is thrown out the window. You do get to play with other new players if you get it now via digital, which is a mixed blessing but won't be as rushing so you can read whatever logs you find (they're only a tenth of what appears in mainline prime, but for good reason). Cutscenes won't be skipped unless everyone agrees to do it, so that's not a concern.

If you have GCU or Amazon Prime, probably physical.

EDIT: That has to be the second thread about the game's ending in a day. Gaaaaaaah.

On Sawken: I don't mind that it draws a lot from Chykka's first form. It's really aggressive with its jumps though.

nynt9

Ugh, the controls are terrible. Neither config is good, and there is no option to custom assign functionality. It forces you to choose either gyro or nub aiming and there is no option to use both. The sidestep is super finicky, if you tap it more than the slightest split second it turns into a jump instead, and you get hit. The graphics don't look too hot either.

This isn't going to be a very fun ride :/

nynt9

I wanna jump so bad, but the price is holding me back. It's between this and Kirby Robo.

Honestly, Kirby Robobot is an amazing game and this is... ok and it controls kind of poorly. Unless you really want a co-op shooter and have friends to play with, I'd go with Kirby.

nynt9

Disconnected in the middle of the first boss fight. Great experience!

Anyone else encountering connection issues?

Edit: can't connect back online.

I went to one Best Buy by my house today and they had a sign saying the game is available today. But I asked them because I didn't see it and they said they never received a shipment. They told me the other store in town had a copy though. I go there though and same deal, the signs up, it says they have one in their computer, but they say they don't have any copies. So bummed :(. Normally I would just go somewhere else but I get 20% off there as part of the Gamers Club.

Side note. Isn't it kinda strange that Next Level seems to refuse they are involved with this game? It's not on their website, nor their Facebook, yet they just posted about hiring for new positions today but no mention of FF. I really would hope they are proud of their work on the game despite the reception.

Regiruler

What happened kinsei? I thought you were just on the other side of the map but I didn't see you at all.

Music for that level is really good though.

Kinsei

Banned
What happened kinsei? I thought you were just on the other side of the map but I didn't see you at all.

Music for that level is really good though.

I went into a hidden area to get a mod. Maybe I disappeared from your map when I was in there? I managed to finish up the mission after we DC'd.

stuminus3

Banned
I took that chance GAF and you know what? I think I like it. I think I like it a lot. This is not a bad game.

A fun little mix of a little bit of action, a little bit of puzzling, a little bit silly (as co-op games can be), a little bit frustrating (as co-op games can be). I played a few missions offline and online and had a jolly good time. Not as complex as some of my favourites on PC but the missions are the sort of nice bite sized chunks that suit portable games.

I've paid practically zero attention to this game since it was revealed so I've gone in fresh here. Haven't been involved in any discussion or read any reviews. All I knew was I thought the chibi art looked stupid and that a lot of people were really mad at it. I wonder how much warmer it'd have been received if it wasn't a Metroid spin off?

Protip: you score a lot higher using full charge beam or missiles instead of just rat-a-tatting the enemies to death? Not many people playing online seem to have noticed that yet.

Oh yeah and the music is awesome.

Toxi

Banned
You can squad with me and/or kinsei if you can't find randoms.

Speaking of: you online now kinsei?
I went solo for the first three missions. I'll try online tomorrow.

The ball rolling mission was surprisingly fun and I'm interested in the Bion backstory. I think I like the game. I've been doing solo without Lone Wolf, and it seems just about the right difficulty so far.

Regiruler

I took that chance GAF and you know what? I think I like it. I think I like it a lot. This is not a bad game.

A fun little mix of a little bit of action, a little bit of puzzling, a little bit silly (as co-op games can be), a little bit frustrating (as co-op games can be). I played a few missions offline and online and had a jolly good time. Not as complex as some of my favourites on PC but the missions are the sort of nice bite sized chunks that suit portable games.

I've paid practically zero attention to this game since it was revealed so I've gone in fresh here. Haven't been involved in any discussion or read any reviews. All I knew was I thought the chibi art looked stupid and that a lot of people were really mad at it. I wonder how much warmer it'd have been received if it wasn't a Metroid spin off?

Protip: you score a lot higher using full charge beam or missiles instead of just rat-a-tatting the enemies to death? Not many people playing online seem to have noticed that yet.

Oh yeah and the music is awesome.
You get 50 additional points for finishing with a headshot (on pirates, anyway).

There are some scenarios where a few of the aux items give rediculous amounts of points (barrier + decoy would be amusing if not for the fact that they're incredibly heavy items), but all sources do have a cap.
Are there any enhancements on new 3ds?
If there's a performance difference, it's not very noticeable.

There is an additional control scheme though. A very similar one is offered for an og 3DS/XL with a circle pad pro attached.

NFreak

I am pleasantly surprised by how much I'm enjoying this so far. Streamed like the first six missions with a friend tonight and we had a great time. The co-op experience is pretty great and I love the little nods to how Samus is helping in the story.

And I love the controls. It's basically a mix between Metroid Prime on the Gamecube and the Metroid Prime Trilogy controls. Feels good. Really glad I gave this a shot. May not be the Metroid game we wanted but I'm sure we'll get a full fledged game down the line. This will suffice for me for now.

Also just to jump in on the shipment quantity talk, my Best Buy had like 2 copies of the game on shelves. I had mine pre-ordered. Doesn't look like Nintendo shipped very many copies.

VandalD

Up through mission 18 now, and there's been a good amount of variety. The only one I didn't really care for was pushing the two carts through the storm. Had a lot of success with Lone Wolf, the mod that gives a 20% chance to keep your secondary shot ammo, and recently the mod that increases weight capacity so I can load up on all the things.

Waiting for my copy to arrive. If anyone wants to do friendlies, my FC is below (Quote to reveal).
I've added you. I'm 4527-9559-0198. Will keep an eye on the thread when I can. I've only played with randoms so far online.

Regiruler

The cart mission is really cool but it's a pain in the ass if you don't time it right.

Shield is the nuts though, it stops storm damage so you can cycle break.

VandalD

The cart mission is really cool but it's a pain in the ass if you don't time it right.

Shield is the nuts though, it stops storm damage so you can cycle break.
Oh that must be how they expect you to hit the time bonus. Have to try that sometime.

TheMoon

dat OP ... y u no read it :)

it's also mentioned a lot on the first page.

I bought this last night on a bit of an impulse and so far... not bad! I really like the gun's feeling and the dodging feels pretty good. Hoping to get farther in today.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I've been watching some footage and this looks more fun than the E3 demos showed it to be, how are you people enjoying it?

TheMoon

So I've been watching some footage and this looks more fun than the E3 demos showed it to be, how are you people enjoying it?

Several impressions are already in the thread.

Side note. Isn't it kinda strange that Next Level seems to refuse they are involved with this game? It's not on their website, nor their Facebook, yet they just posted about hiring for new positions today but no mention of FF. I really would hope they are proud of their work on the game despite the reception.

Yea sure, blast about it through your social media channels to ensure a bunch of mental 12 year olds flaming at you about it. :D

5 or 6 missions in and I'd say it's decent. Decent mission variety (puzzles, fun with physics, enemy types, stealth sections, escapes, platforming, etc.), nothing too intense aside form some space pirate gangbangs. I'm having fun, wanting to play more. I just wish it was on a console with a different art style. This could be Destiny with Prime gameplay.

The saddest thing about this game's probable failure isn't that it's going to destroy the Metroid franchise (it won't), but that we may never see a Federation Force type game on consoles. It's got potential to be a great sub franchise.

Right now I'm calling it a 6 or a 7, with 5 actually being average. It's just a slight hair above average. But it's growing on me so I may end up liking it more as I continue to play.

And I know Blast Ball ain't got shit on Rocket League, but honestly, it's about the most fun I've had with a tutorial mode ever.

I read many times about the clunky controls and honestly, I think that people are playing this the wrong way. It should be played like Prime, just move and lock, no need to aim with the gyros. Those are useful when you have already locked an enemy.
Using the second analog instead has been a little frustrating for me.

nynt9

I'm parked. ^^

And unlike the shit I'm outlawing, that's just the plain old truth.

Yeah, no. The game isn't even that good (the 5 or so hours I've had with it were pretty miserable with clunky controls and tedious "puzzle" design that's super trivial to solve but frustrating to execute) and it's uncalled for to call other players mental 12 year olds. It's also pretty ironic.

Simbabbad

I read many times about the clunky controls and honestly, I think that people are playing this the wrong way. It should be played like Prime, just move and lock, no need to aim with the gyros.
Is it easy to differentiate making a side-step vs. a side-jump when you're locked? Because it's the only issue I had playing the demo.

nynt9

Is it easy to differentiate making a side-step vs. a side-jump when you're locked? Because it's the only issue I had playing the demo.

Not with L - it only works decently when you use B to jump. It was a constant source of frustration. The time window for the dash is real short.

mr_chun

I'll have to wait a little bit to get my copy. Totally blew past the release date, and I want that Amazon Prime discount.

EDIT: Reading a couple reviews. What control method are you guys using? Gyro, c-stick? I have a CPP for my XL, might try that once it gets here.

Top Bottom