• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe No Man's Sky review

Good review, I appreciate him pointing out Sean's nonsense in a digestible way. Biggest takeaway for me is how cool the game initially is, until discovering there isn't much more to discover.

Akhe

This gonna be good.

thepopcorneater.gif

Renekton

Haha what? I mean I've always liked his opinion on games in general but this is just wrong lol.
He felt the multiplayer unlocks are stingy for a B2P.

He's not wrong since it was calcaluted to take an insanely long time to unlock everything.

J_Viper

If you're not interested in Angry Joe's reviews, why click on the thread? Is it so hard to scroll down? How does him having a thread complicate your life in any way?

I don't understand the thought process there.

Nepenthe

"You have learned the Korvax word for Korvax."

Absolutely dead.

Also, even ignoring all of the bullshit about the broken promises, the fact that menu navigation is as clunky as he says it is is that much more of a turn off. I can't stand dealing with inefficient menus.

Carl

Wait wait so when you try to go to the centre of the galaxy the game just zooms out on the universe and shoves you into a different galaxy? wow okay

Do you have any real corrections to what i said besides that? Joe is one of the best internet reviewers out there and he always puts the absolute best depth into his views and the presentation
You said people hate and attack him cuz he is a great reviewer... I don't agree with that.

I agree that he is good at what he does and I like that he goes In depth with his criticisms/praise but some people just ain't into his brand of comedy/reviews and I understand why... The whole angry thing gets annoying after a while.

Love it. As usual Joe calling it like it is.

I've had fun with it for what it is so far. I didn't really follow it much or put much stock in all the details. Being a procedurally generated game by a small team, I guess my expectations were right where they needed to be.

If Joe hates it and wants to scream about it that's his freedom of speech. I don't really agree and am still enjoying myself, but sometimes things simply don't work out for everyone.

AdanVC

One of the most, if not the most intense Angry Joe review he has ever done. What an absolute sea of lies No Man's Sky is. Joe is right, it's the strongest, most potential filled average game ever. I simply cannot believe the amount of lies Sean said through the different interviews. It simply blows my mind like, how the hell do they thought they could get away with that?? Impossible! And because of that, the game has been reviewing from average to bad. Such a shame. Another game fakely hyped by marketing.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Wait wait so when you try to go to the centre of the galaxy the game just zooms out on the universe and shoves you into a different galaxy? wow okay

Yeah, that to me would be so disappointing, I'm surprised that hasn't gotten more attention on its own or even its own thread, considering how fired up people got over Mass Effects 3 ending, which at least had some kind of closure even if it was dumbed down and sucky.

This doesn't even have an ending. It's clear they ran out of time, money, and couldn't decide on something that would be interesting enough to justify working towards, so they just rushed the game out. Either they just gave up or someone was pressuring them.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Damn, what happened to No Man's Sky?

In an interview once somebody asked Tim Schafer how hard it was to come up with great game ideas. "It is easy to come up with great game ideas, I have a filing cabinet full of them. The problem is turning a great idea into a great game." This isn't the exact wording as I'm doing this from memory, but you get the point. You can have what seems like the most awesome concept ever but that doesn't mean you're going to be able to turn it into compelling gameplay.

No Man's Sky is ultimately a very large sandbox with very few toys to play with.

Lister

Banned
I've had fun with it for what it is so far. I didn't really follow it much or put much stock in all the details. Being a procedurally generated game by a small team, I guess my expectations were right where they needed to be.

If Joe hates it and wants to scream about it that's his freedom of speech. I don't really agree and am still enjoying myself, but sometimes things simply don't work out for everyone.

I would understand your position if the message out there formthe devs had always been: "Temper your expectations, we are a small team creating a procedural generated universe". Or something even REMOTELY resembling that.

But that wasn't at ALL the message they sent out. Why don't you actually watch the video. It's not like he's making shit up here, he puts in things the devs have said that were complete and utter bullshit.

I think the only flaw I see in Joe's argument stems from giving the devs too much credit. He insists that all of this stuff was there but cut out of the game at the last minute for reasons unknown.... No, Joe, this stuff was NEVER in the game to begin with.

Except the pre release coverage vastly oversold what it was going to be. That has little to do with whether you're enjoying it or not.

So I requested a return to Amazon because the game would crash for me when loading. Right now I'm being offered full price for the return. . should I expect Amazon to screw me over and find a way to lower the return rate?

I have until September 10 to send it back for this price.

Watched the whole thing. He's on point on all of it. It's crazy how much was promised and how much was delivered. I remember them talking about portals in the past too....

I said before release it was nothing more than an indie game and because of the insane hype they decided to jack up the price to 60 dollars. They thought they could get away with it and to and extent they have.

Sapientas

I managed to not get into the hype and was always cautious about the game, but even so I was dissappointed with it. Pretty much all of the interesting content was removed from the game to the point that can't see a reason for "hardcore" gamers to play it. It's the definition of barebones. Worst offenders being the lack of actual "solar systems" and planet rotations and this Center of the Galaxy shit.

So yeah, pretty on point review. Expected a 4 actually.

Those minerals evaporating once he got close would be so frustrating.

Review seems on point from everything I've seen, might pick it up in the distant future once it gets some more content.

Seems like Sean Murray's go to strategy was to just say yes to everything.

This year has been a good reminder as to why Community Management / PR is a good thing, what with this and Pokemon Go

Zemm

A 5 still feels too high. It's honestly one of the worst games I've ever played and I've played a lot. Usually you can filter the trash quite easily but rarely one sneaks through :(

My issue with the sentiment to temper expectations due to the dev team size is that this is a $60 game. IMO you don't get to play the indie dev card to avoid criticism if you're charging a AAA premium for your game. If NMS was a $20 early access title I could understand, but asking me to pay $60 for a game that feels like a prototype for what was in the trailers? No thanks.

So I requested a return to Amazon because the game would crash for me when loading. Right now I'm being offered full price for the return. . should I expect Amazon to screw me over and find a way to lower the return rate?

I have until September 10 to send it back for this price.

Amazon customer support tends to be great. I would say you'll probably get the full price.

Speely

Banned
A 5 still feels too high. It's honestly one of the worst games I've ever played and I've played a lot. Usually you can filter the trash quite easily but rarely one sneaks through :(

Eh. I get where he's coming from. If someone were to gift me a copy and I hadn't really followed it, I would find it a cool little game to play while stoned or wanting to relax and muse at goofy shit. The planetary landings and takeoffs are neat, and some planets are visually interesting. A 5/10 seems about right to me there.

It's when you take into account what it was sold as, and FOR, (and how) that it becomes a joke. I have a feeling he didn't really weigh that in to the numerical score and instead let his commentary provide that context.

Audioboxer

Damn Joe was on fire and solidified why I haven't bought this. So many lies and cut content (or content never actually planned for anything other than an E3 demo).

Enjoy the $$$ Hello Games/Sean. Next time however high you aim be honest before the product ships about what is actually coming.

Kadin

Solid review from Joe. I also had that initial feeling like he did in the first 5-6 hours and then reality set in on just how much more of the exact same thing would happen 10, 20, 30+ more hours.

I like to think that many of the things that appear to not be in the game are hidden on distant planets but it seems the more and more I read reviews like this, it's just not there in the release build...

BFIB

I just bought the game from.a fellow Gaffer. $60 seemed too much, but $35 feels like the right price. No way this was going to live up to the hype.

I haven't followed a lot of No Man's Sky threads, so I bet this has been asked a lot, but:

How is this not a case of false advertising? The creator, trailers, interviews, etc, all talk about a LOT of content that simply isn't in the game. It's pretty damning.

Ritzboof

i expected joe to give the game a 4/10, but he gave it a 5/10 and expressed that he reeeaally didnt want to have to, and yknow thats pretty fair. the game we have definitely wasnt the game we were sold, theres no denying that, and obv there are other legit complaints

however, just cuz he doesnt know how to learn words doesnt mean they arent literally everywhere, and its his fault for not either leading his shots (theres a separate crossair for it yknow) or using the phase beam. and yeah, sure theres no easy way to go back to previous systems, but he completely ignored the "scan for discoveries" function. sure, its only so helpful, but it helps god dammit

Top Bottom