• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MKX XL PC version incoming?

Meia

People getting mad at Boon are weird to me.

I get that he's the face of the company so it's someone you can latch on to bitch at, but it's a thousand times more likely the guy you should be mad is some beancounter at Warner Brothers who lowballed the PC port's budget. WB pays the bills and Boon is obviously under NDA so what do you expect him to say?

This. Please stop yelling at the guys who care about your experience (Boon and NRS) and start yelling at the guys who are responsible (WB).

https://youtu.be/cApRYXF8bzc?t=21m18s

Can some of you stop pretending that he's blameless in this? This is where the lion's share of the anger comes from here. Yes, he can't exactly say "No, the port is going to be trash", or "I have no idea if it'll be good or not, let's hope so!" since he's trying to sell a product, but he's not your friend, he's not a buddy, he's not a cool guy you can hang out with, he's in business. By doing interviews like this, he becomes a PR person, and as such, any time the product a PR person shits the bed you CAN hold them at their word, ya know?

However, what he did after the point the game came out does speak volumes since he pretty much never mentioned the PC port again, and when it came time for more content after, he never once talked about it. The anger is wholly justified, don't pretend otherwise.

And hope the new port won't be trash? Has there been a recent Boon game on PC that wasn't? At what point does "Buyer beware" enter into your mind? :p

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
If it's not free there's really no point, the game is dead on PC and I'd personally not give them a penny for it after how they fucked us over in the first place. I honestly can't think of a game I was more hyped for that turned into a bigger stinker. I actually never had the performance issues, my game always ran at 60fps solid (although I did suffer with the KOTH CTD bug that was never fixed while I still had the game installed) but the online just never worked, the main server went down every day, usually multiple times per day and when it was up the matches were always too laggy to play, and that's with a 0 jitter, 0 packet loss, low MS, wired fibre connection. It's a good thing my connection is so good though, as we had to download the game about 5 times due to patching problems at release which wasn't annoying at all.

FLD

So it's essentially confirmed at this point. Wonder what changed. Did they ever give a reason for why they initially abandoned the PC version or why XL was skipping PC?

That's part of the risk of gaming on pc, poor ports that get a lack of attention because it's too hard to sell full priced games. It's unfortunate but real. Asking for a free update....haha. They absolutely shouldn't do that, this isn't a charity, it's about making money. If you want it, you pay for it. Simple as that.

prudislav

So it's essentially confirmed at this point. Wonder what changed. Did they ever give a reason for why they initially abandoned the PC version or why XL was skipping PC?
from what i gathered i bet it must have been some issues with porting houses .. iirc they even said something about finding right team to do the port for Injustice 2

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
That's part of the risk of gaming on pc, poor ports that get a lack of attention because it's too hard to sell full priced games. It's unfortunate but real. Asking for a free update....haha. They absolutely shouldn't do that, this isn't a charity, it's about making money. If you want it, you pay for it. Simple as that.

Ofc they should, we paid for a working copy of MKX and we never got that, this would be them making it somewhat right, albeit too late.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

NEO0MJ

Making it up to previous owners who felt burned about how they were given a bad product and abandoned isn't charity work, it's winning them over so they have more faith in their upcoming game.
Of course, I'm not expecting free or even a discount for previous owners.

Sillverrr

All I know is that I bought MK X on PC in good faith, only to discover after the fact that no one involved with the game seems to give a stuff about the PC version. I mean, Ed Boon seems to openly deride the PC community, which I find completely unacceptable.

Around this time, the latest Batman was also a travesty of a port, but luckily I dodged that particular bullet.

Mad Max was a sound buy (albeit a ridiculously repetitive game), and so was Shadows of Mordor. Nevertheless, I will be far more careful about future Warner Bros purchases on this platform.

Oh, and can I just say, it's sad to see the current state of the fighting games of my youth - Street Fighter and MK. Maybe the core gameplay is intact, but otherwise you have platform bias to contend with in respect of MK, and a lack of single player options in Capcom's latest entries. I mean, come on Capcom - no one buys fighting games for single player, but at least pretend to make an effort.

Renekton

Making it up to previous owners who felt burned about how they were given a bad product and abandoned isn't charity work, it's winning them over so they have more faith in their upcoming game.
Of course, I'm not expecting free or even a discount for previous owners.
If MKXL PC sells well, then Hello Games can consider No Man's Sky XL.

A-V-B

Oh, and can I just say, it's sad to see the current state of the fighting games of my youth - Street Fighter and MK. Maybe the core gameplay is intact, but otherwise you have platform bias to contend with in respect of MK, and a lack of single player options in Capcom's latest entries. I mean, come on Capcom - no one buys fighting games for single player, but at least pretend to make an effort.

I actually liked MK9's single player so much that it was a factor in buying MKX. I ended up liking MK9's more, but it did matter. Can you imagine a fighting game with a great story? It's hard because it has to be full of fights, but...

RM8

Jeez, I can't agree. SFV and MKX are candidates for best games in their respective series in my opinion.

ZeroCDR

Thanks for this, super excited now :)

Assuming all goes well I'll happily buy the next set of DLC characters, was so bummed about not getting Tri(Quad)-borg.

Well the patch itself, which would include whatever balancing and new netcode that came with XL should be free like it was on PS4/X1. I don't expect the new characters to be free at all, but that would be a nice gesture for existing owners.

I just got MKXL for ps4 yesterday.
It's my first MK game. I was feeling down about no new Soul Caliburs in quite a while and decided to look into other fighting games. Of all the recent games I looked at, this one appealed to me most.

So far it seems pretty neat, I just find the combos difficult to pull off with a DS4. I'm wondering if there is a third party controller I could use that would be more natural for fighting games.

vg260

It's my first MK game. I was feeling down about no new Soul Caliburs in quite a while and decided to look into other fighting games. Of all the recent games I looked at, this one appealed to me most.

So far it seems pretty neat, I just find the combos difficult to pull off with a DS4. I'm wondering if there is a third party controller I could use that would be more natural for fighting games.

MK is a bit odd in that the DS4 is probably the best controller for it in terms of button layout, mostly due to having a block button and four main attack buttons. I don't think going to another pad for MKX is going to make a difference. It's pretty much the de facto pad for the game.

You kinda have to do MK combos a little differently, and just have to churn them out fast. It almost can feel like you're doing them too fast and waiting to see the result on-screen.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".

Who are you trying to learn ? Pm me if you want someone to pkay against.

MK is a bit odd in that the DS4 is probably the best controller for it in terms of button layout, mostly due to having a block button and four main attack buttons. I don't think going to another pad for MKX is going to make a difference. It's pretty much the de facto pad for the game.

You kinda have to do MK combos a little differently, and just have to churn them out fast. It almost can feel like you're doing them too fast and waiting to see the result on-screen.

It's just the dpad I'm having trouble with, controller-wise. I find myself wishing it was one of those larger circular pieces with diagonal input instead of four individual buttons. Maybe something like this. I'm hurting my fingers. I tried out using the stick instead but just didnt like how it felt. (That might be because I have some third party sticks installed on the thing, though. Good for other games but maybe not for this one.)

As for combos, when I was doing the tutorials, I always seemed to do them too fast or too slow. Too slow and they dont chain together. Too fast and it seems like my consecutive button presses arent even registering, nothing happens. Finding that sweet spot feels like shooting an arrow at a moving target.

There was one combo in advanced training with Scorpion that was kicking my ass even though it looked simple. Down/Back/X, Triangle, Back/Forward/Circle. I had two issues. I often hit triangle too soon after hitting X and it wouldnt even register. My second problem was that I guess I could not do the takedown fast enough after triangle. I'd do it as fast as I could, the takedown would happen, but it wouldnt register as part of the combo. Took me like 50 tries and the successful result didnt look any different than what I had already been doing, I didnt understand.

The only fighting games I've played before were very casually so my fingers are not trained for this!

Who are you trying to learn ? Pm me if you want someone to play against.

Oh thanks, I haven't even decided yet, I'm still in the stage of just fooling around and trying different characters out. That and just learning how MK works in general.
At this moment I find easy to be a solid challenge.

Since fatalities are basically purely cosmetic, I thought activating them would be easy. The game then fooled me into believing that was true with "easy fatalities." Then I learned about the coins...after I had used them all up. Ouch. Harder than I thought!

prudislav

https://steamdb.info/app/471210/subs/
updated with a picture
header.jpg

ExpiryTime August 29, 2016 – 17:00:00 UTC (1472490000) 4 days from now
FreeWeekend Yes
StartTime August 25, 2016 – 17:00:00 UTC (1472144400) 3 minutes from now
https://steamdb.info/sub/124164/

EDIT:
Free Beta ;-)
EiqTaab.png

Top Bottom