• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Go Loses More Than 15 Million Daily Users in a Month

Shadoken

You can't be comparing a mobile game with paid AAA shooters, come on. They're designed to make all of their profit in pre-orders/launch. Pokemon GO's profit model is in its longevity--and there's no whaling opportunities to exploit.

It works both ways , because the game is free (And the enormous Hype on social media ) there are going to be tons of people who just want to try the game without any real intention of long term play.
There is no indication that it is the "spenders" or "Whales" who are leaving the game as the game is still no1 grossing app.

I mean literally every game will hit a peak point then see a decline , Pokemon Go just go to that peak point really fast.

That is a pretty downer headline ... it still has 30 million people playing that is A LOT

How does that compare with other super popular mobile games?

Numbers will continue to drop. I wonder what the baseline for daily active users will be? Of course there will be spikes when new content launches.

Still, even if it drops off almost totally there's no way to spin this as anything other than a wild success. At its peak, I've never seen anything like Pokemon Go.

The Cowboy

The updates made the game worse to the point I don't play anymore rip

Yup, exactly the same - from the capture issue/change, to the drop nerf (so you don't get as many high level heals) and the big tracker removal - i just can't be bothered with it anymore and nor can a lot of people i know who played it.

Plus i can't believe the new tracking system is still not released everywhere, why is that still only in one place? - but hey we now have our team leader give us silly random appraisals that mean nothing much really.

If the game part of it wasn't boring as fuck I might have stuck around longer. I can only spend so many hours walking around my neighborhood staring at my phone while catching endless Pidgeys and Ratatas before I start to question my life decisions.

This is a staggeringly high retention rate for an app like this.

Putting some sort of negative slant on these amazing figures is ridiculous.

Yeah, I'm bewildered by all the responses. I see that curve and I drool, I hope any F2P game I put out looks even close to that.

Vena

Some of these "lolmobile" posts are silly. This sort of decline is present in all gaming media, and the kneejerk reaction against mobile is nothing short of comical.

Zukkoyaki

I'm surprised there are still that many people playing. The novelty wore of extremely quickly for me and my circle. But of course anecdotes are nothing more than that.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I just uninstalled it this morning, I really wanted to meet new folks while playing the game but that didn't happen and then they changed the whole tracking system along with game being such a grind fest that I just stopped playing it.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Well duh... Its a mobile game. Even my dad played it for a week before uninstalling it...

Don't know why people say this. There are plenty of mobile games that have a sustained success over a long period of time (e.g., Clash of Clans) and there are plenty of console games that were relevant for 15 minutes then faded.

Anyway, the drop is users seems drastic until you realize there are still a ton of people playing the game. My GF and I played until we realized that there was actually no real point to playing. They need to add something to the game besides collecting the pokes. Gyms are stupid, so it has to be better than that. I'm sure they will add it in time.

Of course. Just like any other popular mobile game. GO will never truly die out like Miitomo, but the boom it had over the summer was a one and done deal. Gen 2 and trading will definitely raise popularity back, but the Summer of Pokemon was a one hit wonder.

It's just not fun any more.

Loaded it up for the first time in two weeks yesterday, took me 14 balls to catch a 100cp Pidgey. Broke out of every one.

But, I guess that's to be expected. They want people to buy more balls, so they screwed with the catch rate.

I'm still playing and having a good time, but I've seen friends and acquaintances start to give up on it and I can completely understand why. It's unfortunate, but Niantic really screwed this up. It's not too late for them to right the ship and bring people back, but something tells me they're not going to figure that out in time (or they have and they're just not equipped to do what needs to be done).

That said, a monthly userbase is more clear a statistic than a daily userbase, this mostly means that the 15 million that dropped off, dropped off from checking it in a constant pattern.

It's incredible how many eyes are on this game and Nintendo, especially from people that never actually gave a fuck about software sold. Even my brother talked to me about how Nintendo wasn't gaining money from this... yet he never talked about all those other billion famous mobile games he played one day and then never touched again.

llehuty

So its like any other video game then.

Please tell me how COD or Destiny online user base remained at 100% of launch numbers , a month after release.

Pretty much. Don't know what people expected.

It would be interesting to see which is the baseline.

oti

Banned
Another thread showing that a lot of people here don't understand mobile gaming.

This is normal. Think about it, how couldn't this be normal? Especially after breaking every record in the book, of course there's a decline. It's inevitable. And no, GAF, the main reason isn't the missing tracker or the deactivation of Pokévision.

Have you seen the most successful games on mobile? They offer new content on a daily basis. And by content I mean stuff to do, goals to reach. That's the basic loop every successful F2P game uses. And Pokémon GO? It doesn't even have that very basic mechanic and yet so many people are still playing. That in itself is amazing. This game doesn't even have a global high score list or any other tool to beat your friends and brag about it or challenge them. That's F2P 101 and Pokémon GO doesn't even have that.

For what the game currently is its performance is incredible. If it was as polished and updated as frequently as Clash of Clans this game would rule over all other mobile games. Niantic just isn't moving fast enough but I don't know if we can even blame them. The game is massive.

I saw a ton of people playing in downtown Boston/the public garden and in Castle Island for the past two days
hype wore off but a lot of people are still playing

I think Gen II will release by the end of the year, expect ads for pokemon sun and moon during October for the new game, that game will sell a lot of copies

They should have had Pokemon Go+ ready to go at launch. They would have sold a ton of those $30 peripherals

missing out for the summer really was a huge mistake

Boss Man

While I think it's somewhat expected from a game like this, they certainly accelerated it by not responding to issues and even creating new ones somehow.

I think I lost interest with the loss of decent tracking options. Pokevision is what made pokemon go fun. Without it I am pretty meh on it.

Maybe if in game tracking comes in and is actually any good ill get back to it.

Pretty much expected to have a drop after the first month. It really doesn't help though that their updates have driven away and frustrated people. And that's not even including kids who are back in school. It's been pretty active in my college though now that it's started.
Probably the worst developer I've ever had the pleasure of playing their game. So many stupid choices and they pretty much incited a riot against those people they gave a legendary bird to.
Wait.
I've been out of the news and threads for a couple weeks.
What did I miss.

Everyone said I was a hater when I was telling everyone give it 3 months and game will be dead. There is only so much someone can go around catching the same Pokemon that absolutely mean nothing in the long run because there is no real battle system. An amazing Pokemon holding a gym can be taken down by a shitty Pokemon just have to sit there and keep fighting it until you reduce the points wtf is that shit?
How many people will have to be playing at the end of next month to consider it "dead"? There are still over 30 million playing per day.

Pineapple

Not unexpected. It almost seems as if Nintendo was caught off guard with just how successful the game was going to be. Regardless, there needs to be alterations and additions made to the game, and fast -

- Friends list
- Battling
- Trading

Those are the big three additions that the game desperately needs at the moment.

In the long term (4-6 months), the second generation of Pokemon need to be added.

I also feel as though the battling system needs to be completely revised. It's boring and not at all fun. Introduce a turn based battling system like in the games, give Pokemon 4 move slots, and allow players to customize the moves of their Pokemon as they level up. Introduce a new currency or just apply a Stardust cost to swapping out moves.

The appearance rate of certain Pokemon also needs to be looked at. I haven't once seen anyone with a Gengar. Or Raichu. Or Onyx. Yet every other gym seems to have some combination of Flareon/Vaporeon/Jolteon, Gyrados, Arcanine, Dragonite, and Snorlax.

Expected, but a little sad.

I never in my lifetime thought I'd see hundreds of people walking the streets, playing, talking, laughing Pokemon. Moms, dads, sons, daughters, Grandmothers, Grandfathers, everyone. It was surreal. But... the energy of walking the streets after work and seeing everyone excitedly catching and talking Pokemon finally began to deteriorate as of two weeks or so in my city.

I doubt the introduction of trading, battling, Gen 2+, or anything really will bring the numbers back up to peak levels. They should certainly be proud of what they did achieve and anything above even 15 million active users is a fucking huge milestone they should be proud of. Maintaining and reinvigorating he core player base should have always been the long term goal anyway.

Still though, it's rare a phenomenon like this sweeps the globe. It was fun while it lasted!

Top Bottom