• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Been replaying MGSV lately... Man, it's so good! (Also: Your favorite weapons?)

Javin98

Banned
A positive TPP thread?

tumblr_inline_njthrdRTgy1r3da0s.gif

The game is horrible, easily. Honest, not even talking crap. This game is extremely bad. I bought the collector's edition and I am a huge MGS fan. It is not only a bad game but easily the worse MGS in the series.
Why did you have to jynx it, man? You know on GAF, there are always posters who can't handle all the positivity and want to prove something. :p

To be fair, with all the hyperbolic shenanigans, I can't tell if it's sarcasm.

Mexen

This game just gives me feels, man

A nighttime thunderstorm in the lush jungles of Africa...

The warm glow of Afghan ruins, baking in the afternoon sun...

A soothing orange sunset at Mother Base...

Chilling in the AAC at night, bathed in the red lights...

I especially love Afghanistan. Not usually into arid regions in videogames, but it's so varied and gorgeous in MGSV!

Neiteio
Video Game Erotic Writer
(Today, 02:10 AM)

I love how you can use the water pistol to quietly fry electronics like the comms equipment.

What?!!!!!!!

Zeta Oni

I don't think I've tried the Hand of Jehuty. I know I have it, though. So is it like a beam that reels in distant targets? And does it automatically knock them out, or does it put them in a chokehold first? Also, is that a Zone of the Enders reference?

Yeah, except instead of a beam its more like 3 floating pieces of metal spinning in a circle that shoot out and and grab the victim, and then teleports them to you. When you use it, they arrive in front of you with their back facing you for you to do anything you want with cqc-wise.

Upgraded the battery pretty much doesn't die, and it has very good range (like a medium-range shotgun).

Yes its a Zone of Enders reference.

What's kind of funny about that was since she did most of the work, I made the base emblem a butterfly as a way to say, "Snake gets the credit, but Quiet does most of the actual groundwork", and that mission never showed up, because this was before widespread knowledge that the butterfly emblem would keep the mission from appearing.

Also, in terms of getting her back, I was playing on PC when I finished that mission (before the way to get her back was patched in) and I went looking for a way to hack her back in. Found one, and not the easy, automated mod you can do today. First, I had to find a program someone had made to open the protected files, but it couldn't be the newest version, since that caused corruption to the internal files that I needed. After that, you needed to manually edit some files, then repackage the files using a different command....it took four hours of researching and working and reading various reddits until I got Quiet back. Was all worth it...for her ability as a sniper of course...

I also made her return via Infinite Heaven, it's a simple ingame mod menue option "return quiet", takes 5 seconds :)

OP: I love what I believe was finished by the dev team in this game, it's easily my favorite MGS game. But it falls apart in the second chapter for me, over half the missions are modified main missions from chapter one, they should have had unique main missions without the need to somehow unlock them by doing side ops or rehashed missions from right before.

Yeah, I still love the game. But I also modded it quite a bit, using marker teleport if I wasn't feeling running 10 minutes to the next mission zone. Putting female enemy soldiers into the open world. Upping my health to 600% to goof around with tanks and fighting skulls without dying as quick, using mod menu buddy orders that always work (sometimes you can't tell Queit to go somewhere, greyed out, don't know why) etc etc.

I really believe they run out of money/steam whatever in the second chapter, which is a damn shame. This way it's one of the best half finished games I have ever played.

Fav weapon, tranq gun and silenced shotgun.

Alo0oy

Banned
I just went back to it as well, what the fuck is going on with the game needing 12 fucking days to develop that dope tranquilizer?

I stopped playing the game before they released FOBs 3 & 4, so I've been trying to maximize them, and there are so many cool new weapons, unfortunately, the Fulton Launcher from Peace Walker still isn't there. Everything is expensive as fuck and takes days to develop.

I want the game to stop automatically assign my staff or dismissing them though, I'm trying to not make my motherbase a sausage fest but Miller keeps dismissing my female staff.

I have been keen to jump back in and retry missions with new strategies, i kind of stuck with the same set of weapons throughout my first run.

But i also hear they massively nerfed the resourcing/research requirements so i am not sure i want to jump back in and grind to unlock a new weapon.

spekkeh

Banned
Had a great time with this game until about chapter 30, after which I gave up. Too bad they felt the need to stuff it with so much filler (most of it spent running to the other side of the map). As a 20 hour experience with only story missions it would've been GOTY.

Neiteio

OP: I love what I believe was finished by the dev team in this game, it's easily my favorite MGS game. But it falls apart in the second chapter for me, over half the missions are modified main missions from chapter one, they should have had unique main missions without the need to somehow unlock them by doing side ops or rehashed missions from right before.
Here's how I view the game's structure:

Ch. 1 is the main game. The quest to stop Skull Face. I like to think of it as three acts: Missions 1-12 (set in Afghanistan, culminating with the discovery of the Metal Gear); Missions 13-20 (set in Africa, culminating with the discovery of the language plot); and Missions 21-31 (set in Afghanistan and Africa, culminating with Skull Face's defeat).

Ch. 2 is an epilogue — a look at life on Mother Base after Skull Face, where Venom experiences a series of personal losses. In terms of unique story content, there are seven missions and several important side ops (which should've been story missions, like retrieving the AI Pod and the remains of the Man on Fire), for about 10 story missions total. There are also a ton of cutscenes here, and for many players, this will be where they conclude a certain subplot in the medical bay.

Everything else is a challenge mission — a remix of an existing mission — but they're optional, so it's OK. It would've looked better if they put them in a separate category rather than main mission listings, though.

All in all, it's a perfectly complete game, save for a few dangling plot threads (i.e. Eli's story, which was the cut Mission 51). Kind of fitting for a game subtitled "Phantom Pain." But all in all, it's a complete game... Just one with an unorthodox structure.

I think subdividing Ch. 1 into three acts and rebranding Ch. 2 "Epilogue" would've been better. Even the official guidebook, approved by Kojima, acknowledges Ch. 2 as an epilogue about Venom's personal losses.

At any rate, it's an amazing game... So much more than the sum of its parts.

AlexBasch

Just finished the other day and couldn't bother with doing the Extreme missions at that point.

Game is really, really damn good.

Here's how I view the game's structure:

Ch. 1 is the main game. The quest to stop Skull Face. I like to think of it as three acts: Missions 1-12 (set in Afghanistan, culminating with the discovery of the Metal Gear); Missions 13-20 (set in Africa, culminating with the discovery of the language plot); and Missions 21-31 (set in Afghanistan and Africa, culminating with Skull Face's defeat).

Ch. 2 is an epilogue — a look at life on Mother Base after Skull Face, where Venom experiences a series of personal losses. In terms of unique story content, there are seven missions and several important side ops (which should've been story missions, like retrieving the AI Pod and the remains of the Man on Fire), for about 10 story missions total. There are also a ton of cutscenes here, and for many players, this will be where they conclude a certain subplot in the medical bay.

Everything else is a challenge mission — a remix of an existing mission — but they're optional, so it's OK. It would've looked better if they put them in a separate category rather than main mission listings, though.

All in all, it's a perfectly complete game, save for a few dangling plot threads (i.e. Eli's story, which was the cut Mission 51). Kind of fitting for a game subtitled "Phantom Pain." But all in all, it's a complete game... Just one with an unorthodox structure.

I think subdividing Ch. 1 into three acts and rebranding Ch. 2 "Epilogue" would've been better. Even the official guidebook, approved by Kojima, acknowledges Ch. 2 as an epilogue about Venom's personal losses.

At any rate, it's an amazing game... So much more than the sum of its parts.

I actually tried to look at it in a similar fashion, I have a few problems with this, even chapter 1 does not feel like a satisfying campaign to me, many things also felt rushed and unfinished, when I saw the first credits I was a little confused but I really thought that was it. Then chapter 2 came around and I was happy there was more, but then there really wasn't.

The idea of making this a storytelling element to what is going on in the overarching MGS story is definitely an interesting take, but if that really was the case then that crosses a line for me that I really do not appreciate in games. I love the game because it plays so great, I do not love it for the story, I accept the story because the rest is great. That explanation would put the story over the gameplay for the sake of making a statement and there are only few things that I dislike more than that :(

(I didn't want to derail the thread)

Neiteio

(I didn't want to derail the thread)
No worries, it's fine.

I didn't mean to suggest gameplay was compromised. It wasn't. I was just commenting on how the story, while complete in its own way, could've been divided differently.

You have the main adventure (Ch. 1) and the epilogue (Ch. 2). What's there is good, IMO. But they could've taken the same material and divided it differently for a tighter feel.

By calling the epilogue "Ch. 2," it inflated people's expectations. "Oh wow, another 31 missions," they thought. When in reality, it was more like a series of postscripts... which is fine, just not what people were expecting. Calling it "Ch. 2" makes it seem a bit lopsided. "Epilogue" would've been more apt.

"Ch. 1," on the other hand, is huge at 31 missions, making the game top-heavy. It could be split into three acts, without changing any of the missions. Just place the divisions after the missions that end with a revelation and a boss fight. This would make it feel more even, and provide more milestones for progress.

Missions 12 ends with the discovery of the Metal Gear, and the subsequent boss fight, and sees you leaving for Africa — that should be the end of Act 1. Mission 20 ends with the discovery of the language plot and the boss fight against the Man on Fire — that should be the end of Act 2. And Mission 31 ends with the reveal of Skull Face's plot, and his defeat — that should be the end of Act 3.

Everything after that point is a postscript, an epilogue. A series of personal tragedies... The "peace" (or lack thereof) that they earned for themselves.

Whether someone finds the story satisfying is up to them. But I'd say it's complete, save for the one unresolved plot thread of Eli and the stolen Metal Gear. I just think they divided it in a funny way, starting with their use of "Chapter" instead of "Act."

danthefan

I borrowed it from my brother and played about 60 hours, will definitely buy the next time I catch it on sale. The story is trash but it's so much fun to play.

DevilDog

It's a great game and far better than any other metal gear solid title. The biggest shortcoming is its characters which I consider one of MGS biggest srengths.

The lack of story didn't bother me so much since all the games are so badly written.

Now the only thing stopping me from replaying is quarantining all my SOB members. That was cool the first time but I don't want to do it ever again.

Neiteio

It's a great game and far better than any other metal gear solid title. The biggest shortcoming is its characters which I consider one of MGS biggest srengths.

The lack of story didn't bother me so much since all the games are so badly written.

Now the only thing stopping me from replaying is quarantining all my SOB members. That was cool the first time but I don't want to do it ever again.
A "search by (you know what)" function would've been handy for the quarantine part.

I consider it to be one of the greatest games of all time. I played it back at release, and while I enjoyed it, I didn't really appreciate how good it was back then. I revisited it and played through it again a few months ago, and I absolutely loved it. It is a grand achievement in game design. Every other stealth/action game feels clunky in comparison.

I also have never understood the internet's hate against the story. I don't think the tale being told is bad at all. It definitely has terrible pacing issues, and the presentation is a bit odd with many of the details being hidden in cassette tapes. Besides that, I enjoyed the various twists and the way it fully connects the saga together. If this is the last storied Metal Gear game ever, I consider this a far better final entry then MGS4.

Raitaro

I fully agree with the game feeling fantastic to play and control, in addition to it sounding and looking great as well. I also didn't mind the more open nature of the missions, the loading times while in the helicopter, the base building (payment) shenanigans, or even the overall absence of a (more satisfying) narrative conclusion.

However, the one thing that really makes me not want to return to it, and it pains me to say this because of how much I love the gameplay, is that I now know in hindsight that Afghanistan and Africa are the only two areas you end up going to.

I played the whole game thinking that we would be visiting 4 or 5 distinct geographical zones in fact, in part because of the focus on dealing with languages, collecting animals and such, and when considering the mobility and reach of the Diamond Dogs as an army. I also thought that travelling around more frequently would be tantamount for the devs to keep things fresh (which imo it is). Imagine my disappointment and surprise when I found out that Africa was the last zone we'd go to! I actually expected something like a snow/tundra area as well, or something more urban, or a tropical zone, or even the promised return to Cuba; in short anything beyond having just the two we did get.

I feel that this point of criticism is not often being brought up compared to stuff like the incomplete story, the missing final chapter, the repeated missions, Konami's greedy pay-to-win practices for the base building meta-game, Quiet's objectifying outfit etc, but to me these are far more easy to ignore due to the sheer quality of the gameplay. The lack of environments, however, is not something I can ignore as it seems like such a wasted opportunity to not be able to apply all that gear and tactical gameplay in more zones while dealing with other languages, terrain and environmental hazzards. A real shame in other words, mostly because of how great the game plays.

Sorry for the rant - apparently I still had to get this off my chest. Hopefully it's relevant because of how it ties in directly with the actual strengths of the game and its fantastic gameplay.

AzureFlame

I played 200 hours of this game and had alot of fun, the gameplay is just soo good, the story presentation tho, one of the worst I've seen.

Yup what an amazing game. The story is great too. Really cool link to the series

I burnt myself out putting in 100+ hours the month it came out. I'm looking forward to coming back to it.

Yeah, I was just reading about it on IGN. It appears the only downside to bringing back Quiet is that each subsequent replay of Mission 11 will earn you less GMP — to the point where the mission will actually cost you millions of GMP if you also use the helicopter and Fulton drop trick. But that's easy enough to avoid, and the challenge variant of Mission 11 is more exciting anyways.

oh shit

Neiteio

I didn't mind the game only taking place in Afghanistan and Africa, because they packed a ton of variety into those two regions. A third region in a cold clime would've been nice, but I can't complain about receiving too little when Afghanistan and Africa gave us a lot. Some of the individual locations within a given region feel so distinct from each other that they could've been their own acts in MGS4 (i.e. the lush jungles vs. the sprawling savannah in Africa, or the sandy dunes vs. the rugged mountains in Afghanistan).

I just wish the names of each base were easier to remember... Most of them are in a foreign language, so I struggle to remember what each is called. I usually just describe them, which takes a while, lol.

xviper

my favorite weapon is Venom's fists

i'm glad to see some MGS V love thread, truly amazing game but in the wrong franchise

I never even saw those. I only remember hearing some audio log about him after rescuing his apprentice or something.

This is a problem with the way the game designs side ops (the worst part of MGSV.)

You can't have two side ops in the same location. You needed to finish one of the side ops that was blocking the gunsmith mission from popping up

fast_taker

MGSV is one of my fav games so far. Great visuals and gameplay.

I like the tactical espionage gameplay, so i am the guy who takes cover, walks in the shadows and interrogates bad guys before knocking them down. And by the time s@#t hit the fan, Quiet was there for me with her tranq sniper taking down enemies.

It is a shame that Kojima won't make a new MGS game. Shame on Konami. Shame, Shame, Shame. :)

Chola

Banned
Don't forget those side objectives, best way to experience TPP. Side ops are OK but those main missions just fucking rules, there are couple of duds for sure.
OKB base is the BEST inflitration level ever , GZ is close behind it

SomTervo

Imagine playing it in Steam's Virtual Reality Theatre.

It is insane.

It looks even more real at life-size, with Snake and the amazing landscapes fully taking up most of your vision. Also, games in VR Theatre tend to get bumped to 30FPS (they're rendering on your PC screen simultaneously) so somehow it looks even more like you're watching a Rambo movie or something with a controller in hand. It's almost exactly like controlling a real-life movie.

"Snake, they say that in the future there will be movies where you can control the main character."

"What are you talking about?"

Don't forget those side objectives, best way to experience TPP. Side ops are OK but those main missions just fucking rules, there are couple of duds for sure.
OKB base is the BEST inflitration level ever , GZ is close behind it

This.

I'd also add the oil field to best infiltration ever. Gives more and more every time I play it.

eloxx

It simply feels fantastic. Not just the movement and controls, which I swear by as having the best "game feel" of any realistic-looking third-person game, but also the atmosphere — from the sweeping vistas of Afghanistan and Africa, to the contemplative mood of Mother Base and the AAC. The lighting and materials make each landscape feel so concrete, evocative and real.

Exactly my thoughts on the game. Could not understand the hate either. Maybe storywise, yes. But it feels and looks incredible.

Best game of the gen for me. I loved it's gameplay and it's story. Pacing was off no doubt but the tale it told worked for me and gave me exactly what I wanted. The fall of Big Boss.

I still log in frequently to get all the new FOB rewards. High level FOB's are some of the hardest things I've had to do in an MGS game and they don't require Microtransactions, just a hell of a lot of patience.

Favourite weapon would have to be the WU.pistol I've developed that knocks guards out in one shot no matter where you hit them. Trivialises gameplay a bit but it cant be a life saver on FOB'S.

I never give a damn about MGD lore so MGSV is one of my GOAT. Really well-polished and incredible game in general.

In term of weapon, nothing beats ROCKET PUNCHHHHH!!!

Neiteio

personally it's a tossup between mfinda oilfield, nova braga airport, lufwa valley and okb zero
Yeah, those four missions are all great.

What's the place you infiltrate in "Where Do The Bees Sleep?" The one with the canyon leading into the caves that ends with a Skulls confrontation? That one is amazing.

Oh, and the one in Africa where you liberate the child soldiers from the prison in the mining quarry, leading them through the swamp under cover of darkness. That was intense.

Speaking of child soldiers, I also love the mission (I think it was called "White Mamba?") where you first confront Eli. Extracting each of the child soldiers patrolling the village by the harbor was great fun.

I also really like the mission in Africa where you eavesdrop to find the viscount. It's set in this marshy area with boardwalks and tiki torches. Lots of enemy snipers!

Another favorite is the village on the terraced hillside in Afghanistan — it's super-vertical, with multiple buildings sandwiched together, their balconies overlapping, and narrow paths snaking up around them.

I also like that one farm in Afghanistan with the irrigation ditches out front. Makes for a variety of interesting approaches as you infiltrate the main compound.

The half-ruined palace out in the desert (scene of "A Quiet Exit") also makes for great infiltration moments at night.

Man, so many great locations.

personally it's a tossup between mfinda oilfield, nova braga airport, lufwa valley and okb zero

Nova Braga Airport was so, so good. Not a lot of hiding places, so you really had to stay low and take out enemies soldiers quickly to keep on task with the mission. Once that chopper lands on top of the terminal, you only have a limited amount time to reach the target before he becomes heavily guarded.

Kuraudo

Banned
Phenomenal game. It has the most sublime gameplay in anything I've ever played. I must have put 80 hours into it in the six weeks following its release.

I tired myself out trying to do all the Spec Ops (think I gave up with only two left -- just couldn't be bothered with all the tank unit missions). But the fact that a game would push me to try to do everything like that and not just accept the story as me having completed is a testament to how good the gameplay is.

Dy_Cy

Fantastic game. The gameplay was outstanding but I also really liked the story. I was a bit let down by the storytelling at first, but after thinking about it a bit more I like what the game is telling.

My favorite weapon would be the water pistol, it's very fun to use!

SomTervo

On board with all of this, although something about Nova Braga always rubs me the wrong way. I don't think I like the insertion/exit points. Lack of vents in/out, ways to jump over, and all that.

Internally, though, it's mind-blowing.

I still think the 'ammo and suppressor drops' system seriously undermines the game's amazing level design, but I can't complain too much.

LeonSPBR

Replaying myself since I lost my save... and the game is still so much fun. Best TPS by far. I'm still looking to find a "great" weapon. Also the FOB AI is way more aggressive, only played FOB in the 1.01 version of the game, now those bastards come hard on you.

And I enjoy the update that they did, like the challenges, and the ability to send some of your soldiers to the enemy FOB first so that you weaken then before your infiltration. Overall I love MGSV, it's my best MGS by far (like the story and the gameplay is the best of the franchise), and I'll keep playing in a long time.

Top Bottom