• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PC Gamer Top 100

How did Skyrim even make the list

Skyrim has a place. The gameplay may be terrible but I can understand why people like it (decent character customization, big world, lots of shit to do, different guilds to join etc) but Dragon Age II does nothing well. Nothing.

Not a fan of Witcher 3, but I respect where it is. Personally I think Mass Effect 2 should be #1. Also Bloodborne needs to replace Dark Souls' place.

Bloodborne is not on PC lol

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
don't agree with skyrim, dishonored or metal gear. i don't think they are bad games, except maybe skyrim, but top 10? c'mon. i can't speak for mass effect or half life because i haven't played them.

all these games are available on consoles even portal/half life. not a single PC exclusive. i guess this list just consists of popular games. if it were PC exclusives it would be totally different.

dark souls and witcher 3 are easily up there in my top 5 games of all time though.

Lime

There's not a single sim on the list. No mention of games like:

Tie Fighter
Mechwarrior 2
Wing Commander
Falcon 4.0

As a media institution commemorating the PC platform's offerings of a wide variety of genres in the last 40-50 years, you need to at least acknowledge one of the historically significant genres.

There's not a single sim on the list. No mention of games like:

Tie Fighter
Mechwarrior 2
Wing Commander
Falcon 4.0

As a media institution commemorating the PC platform's offerings of a wide variety of genres in the last 40-50 years, you need to at least acknowledge one of the historically significant genres.

I'm guessing Tim Stone wasn't available this year.

kpaadet

Quite a sad top10, could almost have been a PS3/360 top10, where are all the games that make PC special? Starcraft, Baldur's Gate 2, Tie Fighter, Civ, Deus Ex, Planescape, Counter Strike, Diablo 2, Doom etc. so many cool PC games that should have been in the top10.

Just because games are old dosn't mean you can't enjoy them today, would rather play any classic PC game than many of the "modern" ones on their list.

DeadTrees

PC Gamer should clearly outline the criteria for "best" and enforce it.
PC Gamer list said:
The Top 100 selection process is democratic and subjective. Each writer simply nominates their personal top 15 games, and we combine the resulting choices to produce a longlist. Two writers, one each from our US and UK teams, then get together on a sweaty and prolonged Skype call to decide on a final list that we’re proud of.
Well, shit, it looks like they just listed a bunch of games they had a good time with, in lieu of catering to didacts obsessed with teaching the filthy consoletards What Real Gaming Is All About.

I'm still, like 1-2 years later, so surprised that so many people like The Witcher 3.

To me the story wasn't all that new/inspiring (Another "You gotta save your daughter and the world" plot), the world wasn't very engaging (Just another all-white fantasy. I can appreciate that it was different white people this time, but still), the controls were still shit from The Witcher 2, Combat's still shit from the witcher 2, the game didn't even acknowledge if you played The Witcher 2 at all (Where the hell was Iorveth?), the love story devolved into that boring "Choose between 2 girls with no personality" schitck, most of the "Free DLCs" were cosmetic and barely worthy of the name "DLC", the story/morality system was just needlessly "morally grey", Geralt had no emotion (and yes I know it's because he's a Witcher. It still makes him boring and impossible to relate to), all the "strong female characters" everyone was talking about were... just slightly better interpretations of a teenager's "dream girl" (let's not even get started on how many of them dressed, Better than Witcher 2, but still), and the entire world was just, depressing and cynical to the point where I didn't care what happened to it. Why should I care about a bunch of negative people?

Yeah I'm being VERY contrarian, but honestly I can't get into the game at all. And this is from someone who LOVES RPGS, but the entire game just came off as very tryhardy. That or it's because the fanbase has overhyped the game.

EmiPrime

Wow, it gets worse every year. It's like a list written by 16-year-olds who didn't play PC games until some guys on YouTube were like "mastur raec amirite."

Harsh but I get the same impression. It's not really celebrating what makes computer gaming unique and special and it's chockfull of games that were dumbed down so they could be on Xbox and PS (relative to their PC exclusive predecessors) also.

Skyrim has a place. The gameplay may be terrible but I can understand why people like it (decent character customization, big world, lots of shit to do, different guilds to join etc) but Dragon Age II does nothing well. Nothing.

Bloodborne is not on PC lol

Oh snap, forgot this is PC games only. I'm sorry. Well that's fine then lol.

Diancecht

Obviously this is a subjective list but no System Shock 2? Come on son. Especially when you include BioShock and Infinite to your list.

Kieli

Wow, it gets worse every year. It's like a list written by 16-year-olds who didn't play PC games until some guys on YouTube were like "mastur raec amirite."

Also, not having Alpha Centauri on the list but including Civ V only proves my point further.

This much salt is not good for your diet....

It's a subjective list based on editor preferences.

Azar

Well, shit, it looks like they just listed a bunch of games they had a good time with, in lieu of catering to didacts obsessed with teaching the filthy consoletards What Real Gaming Is All About.
Slander. Xbox button prompts in my PC games make me reflexively vomit.

I know it's basically a popularity contest, but there are some strong omissions that really should be in there. Like, Crysis(best Far Cry game ever made), Far Cry(the 2nd best Far Cry), Age of Empires 1 or 2, Arma 1, Rfactor 2, Swat 4, Rainbow Six 3 Raven Shield(not to mention all the classic Tom Clancy titles), and a few more that took the PC world by storm when they were released. Though I'm glad to see FTL made the list and KSP is so low(or high, whatever).

Zia

Skyrim is just way too low, particularly when crap like Witcher 3 and Mass Effect 2 landed ahead of it.

petran79

Banned
The advantage of computer games is that old and classic games can co-exist with new ones just fine

This list focuses more on the new games instead of the best or most influential. It is for newcomers to PC gaming mostly. Havent played the majority of the titles since I grew with the older games myself.

There is a separate list for that

http://www.pcgamer.com/most-important-pc-games/

Imagine if there was a similar list on consoles

PS4 and Wii U games would have to struggle with the games on Virtual Console and PSN Classics.

dh4niel

I wouldn't have GTA V in the Top 10. Maybe I'm just sick of it myself but I'm sure there's many more games deserving of that position.

I'm still, like 1-2 years later, so surprised that so many people like The Witcher 3.

To me the story wasn't all that new/inspiring (Another "You gotta save your daughter and the world" plot), the world wasn't very engaging (Just another all-white fantasy. I can appreciate that it was different white people this time, but still), the controls were still shit from The Witcher 2, Combat's still shit from the witcher 2, the game didn't even acknowledge if you played The Witcher 2 at all (Where the hell was Iorveth?), the love story devolved into that boring "Choose between 2 girls with no personality" schitck, most of the "Free DLCs" were cosmetic and barely worthy of the name "DLC", the story/morality system was just needlessly "morally grey", Geralt had no emotion (and yes I know it's because he's a Witcher. It still makes him boring and impossible to relate to), all the "strong female characters" everyone was talking about were... just slightly better interpretations of a teenager's "dream girl" (let's not even get started on how many of them dressed, Better than Witcher 2, but still), and the entire world was just, depressing and cynical to the point where I didn't care what happened to it. Why should I care about a bunch of negative people?

Yeah I'm being VERY contrarian, but honestly I can't get into the game at all. And this is from someone who LOVES RPGS, but the entire game just came off as very tryhardy. That or it's because the fanbase has overhyped the game.

Not going to delve into your racist/sexist arguments (which have been covered extensively already in previous threads) but I do find it pretty ironic that you accuse the game world for being too cynical while at the same time criticising the developer for releasing free DLC, next to their two stellar expansion packs.

Also you can't possibly claim with a serious face that Geralt doesn't show emotion, what game did you play?

Never played any Fallout of Dark Souls.

People say play NV instead of Fallout 4 if you're only gonna play one, will do. However, why is Dark Souls 1 here?

If I'm only going to play one Dark Souls it should be 3?

People say play NV instead of Fallout 4 if you're only gonna play one, will do. However, why is Dark Souls 1 here?

You should definitely play them all, in order. And they are great games, but the number 2 spot of a top 100 PC game list shouldn't be a delayed port with glaring issues, locked 30fps frame rate, and minimal visual settings. Of course, some of these issues can be fixed by a hack, but an 'official' list shouldn't consider community work arounds.

Kalnos

Banned

Dark Souls 1 does have a level of interconnectedness that was lost in 2/3 so I can see how someone would recommend it specifically.

Not going to delve into your racist/sexist arguments (which have been covered extensively already in previous threads) but I do find it pretty ironic that you accuse the game world for being too cynical while at the same time criticising the developer for releasing free DLC, next to their two stellar expansion packs.

Also you can't possibly claim with a serious face that Geralt doesn't show emotion, what game did you play?

I'm not criticizing them for releasing free "DLC". I'm criticizing the fanbase for acting like the DLC is on the same level as DLC from games such as, say, Fallout New Vegas. Also, Dragon Age Inquisiton also released Free Cosmetic DLC along with Expansion Packs (except they didn't label them as Expansion packs, they were called DLC) and I don't see everyone obsessing over it.

Next, I never said that the game was racist. I just said that it was another All-White Fantasy world. The lack of POC isn't racist it's just boring and uncreative because Western Fantasy is ALREADY whitewashed as all Hell.

Did you even read my comment or are you just inserting arguments because you're mad that not everyone dick-rides for The Witcher 3. And yes, Geralt barely emotes. His voice actor is horrible.

I'm not criticizing them for releasing free "DLC". I'm criticizing the fanbase for acting like the DLC is on the same level as DLC from games such as, say, Fallout New Vegas. Also, Dragon Age Inquisiton also released Free Cosmetic DLC along with Expansion Packs (except they didn't label them as Expansion packs, they were called DLC) and I don't see everyone obsessing over it.

Next, I never said that the game was racist. I just said that it was another All-White Fantasy world. The lack of POC isn't racist it's just boring and uncreative because Western Fantasy is ALREADY whitewashed as all Hell.

Did you even read my comment or are you just inserting arguments because you're mad that not everyone dick-rides for The Witcher 3. And yes, Geralt barely emotes. His voice actor is horrible.
My problem with calling W3 another "all white western fantasy" is that you're lumping in all cultures that happen to share the same skin color as white. TW3 is based upon Polish fantasy mythology and not English, like most fantasy series. They definitely share some similarities, it's hard to escape Tolkien's influence on Fantasy, but The Witcher is very good at differentiating itself from the old stereotypes.

kpaadet

Not sure what "free" dlc have to do with the quality of the game and Geralt is a Witcher they are stripped of emotions during their mutation. So his voice fits his persona.

My problem with calling W3 another "all white western fantasy" is that you're lumping in all cultures that happen to share the same skin color as white. TW3 is based upon Swedish fantasy mythology and not English, like most fantasy series. They definitely share some similarities, it's hard to escape Tolkien's influence on Fantasy, but The Witcher is very good at differentiating itself from the old stereotypes.
What's ironic is your lumping Swedish (Norse?) mythology with Polish folktales and culture.

Not sure what "free" dlc have to do with the quality of the game and Geralt is a Witcher they are stripped of emotions during their mutation. So his voice fits his persona.

What's ironic is your lumping Swedish (Norse?) mythology with Polish folktales and culture.
Oh right. CDPR are Poles. My bad. My point still stands. 🙃

eot

Banned
Dark Souls should be #1, obviously, but second place is not bad. I'm glad they recognize the game.

Half-Life 2 on the other hand, people need to get with the times, wake up, or something because that is one of the most overrated games of all time. Not because it's bad, but because it's always mentioned in contexts where it has no place being. It's not the 3rd best PC game of all time, hell it's probably not even in the top 30.

Play the first one first!

It is the best game in the series in so many ways.

Yeah it's getting pretty tiresome, all those games based on Polish folklore.

Uthred

I have no particular interest in the list, they are always much of a muchness and are a format designed to foment dissent (or discussion if you're feeling generous). What I do like is that they gave the list an explicit context, specifying that it was the top 100 best games you could sit down and play today. Context is essential to lists like this as it (should) rule out complaints that the game hasnt aged well or that people dont respect the games impact or what have you.

eot

Banned
Diablo 2 is very ugly on modern computers, and Diablo 3 is a much better game than its first year of release. Hopefully if they ever do decide to remaster Diablo 2, they won't "enhance it" too much with gameplay alterations. This isn't a list of "what games were the best when they were first released".

Ugly, whatever lol. It actually looks fine, and because the corpses are persistent you can use one of the most awesome spells in any game: Corpse Explosion.

Diablo 2 is a much better game than Diablo 3. Better itemization, better atmosphere, better level generation, better multiplayer, better enemy design etc.

I'll contribute to the bingo, no Blizzard in top 10 of PC gaming list is crazy to me.
This just goes to show how out of touch these "journalists" actually are with PC gaming. Overwatch not in top 10? League of Legends, one of the most popular games in the world in both playing and streaming, not in the top 10? WoW, the most popular MMO in the world?

giphy.gif

Yeah it's getting pretty tiresome, all those games based on Polish folklore.

Based off of does not mean it IS polish folklore. Naruto is a series based off of Japanese folklore (Names of a lot of characters and themes namely) yet there are still "Black" and "White" characters.

What I don't get is why you guys don't just admit that you like that the game lacks POC or something insidious and call it a day, because I'm also tired of having this dumbass little argument with people grasping at the straws as to why the game is allowed to be all-white, or how conveniently white is "Not t he proper way to classifying people" when in most of the world that's how censuses are collected. Just annoying.

The devs weren't copying and pasting "polish" (It's SLAVIC folklore, and most of what we know about Slavic Folklore comes from Christians, so it's doubtful what slavic folklore even is) lore directly, they obviously took liberties. They were able to take liberties and create a game with dragons and shit, but no POC.

Oh right, and in Polish Folklore, were ALL the women mostly dressed like supermodels, with all of them being conventionally attractive with nice bodies? inb4 "I'm the real racist/sexist" or whatever.

This just goes to show how out of touch these "journalists" actually are with PC gaming. Overwatch not in top 10? League of Legends, one of the most popular games in the world in both playing and streaming, not in the top 10?

giphy.gif

To be fair, Popularity does not mean quality, or the Oscars would look a lot different.

Uthred

This just goes to show how out of touch these "journalists" actually are with PC gaming. Overwatch not in top 10? League of Legends, one of the most popular games in the world in both playing and streaming, not in the top 10? WoW, the most popular MMO in the world?

Popularity is generally not a measure of quality. It's perfectly acceptable not to include games with great popularity.

To be fair, Popularity does not mean quality, or the Oscars would look a lot different.

Popularity is generally not a measure of quality. It's perfectly acceptable not to include games with great popularity.
From a popularity AND quality standpoint, having Dishonored and MGSV in a PC top 10 while LoL, WoW, and Overwatch, don't crack that top 10 is absurd. This opinion coming from a PC gaming outlet of all places is quite frankly unbelievable.

Did they make a typo and actually mean top PS3 games?

Anno

giphy.gif

These are the games popular with the staff of PC Gamer. Like literally every list of top games it is completely subjective.

ghibli99

Rocket League aside, I've finished 5 out of the remaining 9, and of the 4 left, they're all on my shortlist of games to play, so personally, I think it's a list that's surprisingly representative of my tastes. :)

Top Bottom