• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - 30 minutes of gameplay (Japanese)

Falk

that puzzling face
CrIPlYOUsAAstJ9.jpg

『Inaba Resident』;215455776 said:
Skill tree.
I didn't even know it existed until recently lol

https://twitter.com/FFXVEN/status/770697882714329088

Tabata is having a twitch stream for PAX West for XV (lol get it) minutes asking us to tweet what we want him to go into detail.

I personally chose skill tree but you can also choose magic, mini games, and weapons as well. Go vote!

Edit: beaten like a person who doesn't pick up his dog's shit lol.

skill tree for menu music tbh

Skill tree is gonna win tho lol. We just found out about it I'll take that I suppose. We know enough about weapons and mini games for now

Edit; when's the stream

If y'all are curious about the Skill Tree, here's the rub from my 4 hours with the game: Noctis has 29 skills. They're generally speaking not 'all new skills' as you might be used to from a Crystarium or Sphere Grid, but are instead things that adjust the way Noctis plays. Several skills for instance are reserved for chain attacks - when you start, Noctis can't naturally chain together attacks with anything other than a standard sword. If you want to chain attacks together with a polearm, that's a skill you can buy. Want to chain attacks with the big greatsword? Pick up the "Greatsword Link" ability, etc.

There's also skills that let you do things like "Airstep" (take a step in mid-air after attacking) and "Blink" (dodge forever without consuming any MP) - things like that. I didn't look at the skill list absolutely extensively, but the only thing I remember being a more traditional FF skill on the skill tree is Libra, which is an early-game skill that makes the strengths and weaknesses of enemies show up when you lock on to them.

Basically, this feels a little more like, say, the combat skill tree (but not the other trees) of The Witcher 3 rather than a traditional FF skill tree.

Each of the guys has a similar skill tree, though theirs seem a little smaller than Noct's (but I didn't count theirs, unlike his). These skill sets basically are a way for you to direct them down a path... so, for instance, you can make Ignis more focused on healing by getting him the healing-focused abilities, things like that.

I'm not sure if this is the 'final' number of abilities, but I will point one thing out: some fans have theorised more will unlock because Noctis' skill tree only fills one bit of the circle. When you see the design of the screen this makes more sense though: Noct fills up the bottom of the circle, Prompto the left side, Gladio the top, Ignis the right, so when you look at them as a whole, as a group, their skills fill the complete circle. (A nice thematic touch, I think: none of them is complete without the others, not even Noctis). Who knows if there's a secret hidden away that'll unlock more abilities for Noct when he puts on the ring though. (But if I had to guess, the ring stuff will probably relate more to summons and phantom weapons and not to the skill tree - just theorising on my part there).

Each of the characters also have a unique character level for their skill... cooking for Ignis, Photos for Prompto, etc. I'm not sure how this impacts how they use these abilities though, other than the obvious factor that as Ignis levels up the meals he can make you will get more impressive. No doubt this has been talked about in Famitsu or something & I'm just clueless on it tho.

Oh, and, AP -- it's a shared pool. So you earn AP as a group and spend it. This means if you want you can ignore your team and pour all your unlocked AP into abilities for Noctis, but then your party will be weaker. Skills don't cost just 1 AP, but vary in cost depending on how powerful they are.

In my interview with Tabata at Gamescom (which SHOULD go up tomorrow), he explained that the main choice with the skill tree is between if you want to play the game like an action game or want more assistance to make it a little more slow/tactical like an older FF. That's really abridged, but you can read his response in full for yourself soon enough...

There y'go. Saved you all some time! ;)

Koozek

skill tree for menu music tbh
Maaan, I hope they remove the menu having music for the final game. So unnecessary and annoying. In the gamescom footage you had atmospheric music playing in the tombs when Noctis gets a new royal weapon and then they enter the menu and the cheesy Weather Channel song starts playing, which absolutely didn't fit the current situation and isn't even that smooth a song (these actual Weather Channel songs are at least good, lol).

y u do dis falk

Mifec

What did NoctisvsStar do :( ?

Also kinda ok improvements on the shrubs in the PS4 version, rip in pepperonis bone.

.JayZii

Banned
When is this stream happening?
If y'all are curious about the Skill Tree, here's the rub from my 4 hours with the game: Noctis has 29 skills. They're generally speaking not 'all new skills' as you might be used to from a Crystarium or Sphere Grid, but are instead things that adjust the way Noctis plays. Several skills for instance are reserved for chain attacks - when you start, Noctis can't naturally chain together attacks with anything other than a standard sword. If you want to chain attacks together with a polearm, that's a skill you can buy. Want to chain attacks with the big greatsword? Pick up the "Greatsword Link" ability, etc.

There's also skills that let you do things like "Airstep" (take a step in mid-air after attacking) and "Blink" (dodge forever without consuming any MP) - things like that. I didn't look at the skill list absolutely extensively, but the only thing I remember being a more traditional FF skill on the skill tree is Libra, which is an early-game skill that makes the strengths and weaknesses of enemies show up when you lock on to them.

Basically, this feels a little more like, say, the combat skill tree (but not the other trees) of The Witcher 3 rather than a traditional FF skill tree.

Each of the guys has a similar skill tree, though theirs seem a little smaller than Noct's (but I didn't count theirs, unlike his). These skill sets basically are a way for you to direct them down a path... so, for instance, you can make Ignis more focused on healing by getting him the healing-focused abilities, things like that.

I'm not sure if this is the 'final' number of abilities, but I will point one thing out: some fans have theorised more will unlock because Noctis' skill tree only fills one bit of the circle. When you see the design of the screen this makes more sense though: Noct fills up the bottom of the circle, Prompto the left side, Gladio the top, Ignis the right, so when you look at them as a whole, as a group, their skills fill the complete circle. Who knows if there's a secret hidden away that'll unlock more abilities for Noct when he puts on the ring though. (But if I had to guess, the ring stuff will probably relate more to summons and phantom weapons and not to the skill tree - just theorising on my part there).

Each of the characters also have a unique character level for their skill... cooking for Ignis, Photos for Prompto, etc. I'm not sure how this impacts how they use these abilities though, other than the obvious factor that as Ignis levels up the meals he can make you will get more impressive. No doubt this has been talked about in Famitsu or something & I'm just clueless on it tho.

Oh, and, AP -- it's a shared pool. So you earn AP as a group and spend it. This means if you want you can ignore your team and pour all your unlocked AP into abilities for Noctis, but then your party will be weaker. Skills don't cost just 1 AP, but vary in cost depending on how powerful they are.

In my interview with Tabata at Gamescom (which SHOULD go up tomorrow), he explained that the main choice with the skill tree is between if you want to play the game like an action game or want more assistance to make it a little more slow/tactical like an older FF. That's really abridged, but you can read his response in full for yourself soon enough...

There y'go. Saved you all some time! ;)
Sounds about like what I would expect. I'm sure more unlocks when Noctis gets access to royal magic/kingsglaive party at some point during the game.

Mediking

Wait! Hold on! I literally have "king" in my name! Like, literally!!!

And Duckroll-senpai already acknowledges me as the director of FFXVI so.....

Caio

Is it me or the X1 Version looks like the Game is on the XBox360, compared to PS4 version ?

OMG !

But I think I will buy it for PS4 NEO, hopefull it will take advantage of it later on.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Can someone tell me when it was announced that ps4 version resolution will fluctuate between 900-1089p?

It was during a previous active time report, that they announced that variable res was their intended solution for launch to prioritize framerate and also give a compromise for those looking for better IQ. For PS4 it would be 900p to 1080p depending on the scene, and XB1 would be 720p to 900p

When is this stream happening?

Sounds about like what I would expect. I'm sure more unlocks when Noctis gets access to royal magic/kingsglaive party at some point during the game.

Based on the number of skills when you factor all 4 guys, the AP gain, and the fact we were told that the demo we played had an accelerated AP/EXP gain rate, I'm going to guess there won't be additional abilities, to be honest. However we do know that magic crafting is impacted by items, so who knows how granular magic crafting can get and how diverse it can get with late-game items, and obviously Summons and Phantom Weapons aren't included on the basic skill set. When you add those in, I think that'll be your lot.

Based on Kingsglaive/lore stuff (Kingsglaive spoilers)
I don't expect Noctis to be significantly altered by the ring. The reason it impacts Nyx in a big way is because he's not of the royal line, but putting on the ring allows him the powers that the royal bloodline have naturally - magic, blink, etc. We see Noctis use all these without the ring, so honestly I think in the story the main purpose of the Ring will be to allow him to convene with the dead kings of old (and his dad) for story purposes, and probably to allow him to gain control of the Knights of the Round. People pinning hopes on the ring expanding his skill set seems off to me, since the only skills it gives to Nyx are those Noctis already has and those Regis performs in the film when he doesn't have the ring on. Noct is royal, so my thinking is the ring is mostly ceremonial and for the purpose of letting him convene with the old kings.

wmlk

Based on the number of skills when you factor all 4 guys, the AP gain, and the fact we were told that the demo we played had an accelerated AP/EXP gain rate, I'm going to guess there won't be additional abilities, to be honest. However we do know that magic crafting is impacted by items, so who knows how granular magic crafting can get and how diverse it can get with late-game items, and obviously Summons and Phantom Weapons aren't included on the basic skill set. When you add those in, I think that'll be your lot.

I don't expect Noctis to be significantly altered by the ring. The reason it impacts Nyx in a big way is because he's not of the royal line, but putting on the ring allows him the powers that the royal bloodline have naturally - magic, blink, etc. We see Noctis use all these without the ring, so honestly I think in the story the main purpose of the Ring will be to allow him to convene with the dead kings of old (and his dad) for story purposes, and probably to allow him to gain control of the Knights of the Round. People pinning hopes on the ring expanding his skill set seems off to me, since the only skills it gives to Nyx are those Noctis already has and those Regis performs in the film when he doesn't have the ring on. Noct is royal, so my thinking is the ring is mostly ceremonial and for the purpose of letting him convene with the old kings.

Well, we know that the ring is tied to a weapon type in the menu. At the very least it does that.

Voror

That would be an awesome endgame world setup.

Not that I'm aware of, which makes Ardyn and Iedolas even creepier in some ways. They're like these disconnected, disaffected tech heads, waited on by robots as they sit high above the human misery they cause.

Yeah, though now I'm worried I've set myself up for disappointment with that idea in mind.

I'd actually like us to actually see what life is like in the Empire. Show us all the citizens and how they act. Are they all oppressed or something?

Thank you for the rundown and looking forward to reading the interview.

The only question I have about that is
I have yet to see an instance of Noctis using the barrier or casting magic without items like Regis and Nyx demonstrate. Unless the magic grenades are an example of the latter?

Thank you for the rundown and looking forward to reading the interview.

The only question I have about that is
I have yet to see an instance of Noctis using the barrier or casting magic without items like Regis and Nyx demonstrate. Unless the magic grenades are an example of the latter?

Didn't see the other thing you mention, but the 'grenades' thing is a bit of a misnomer, I think. PR and devs have used grenades as a touchstone for how it feels to use, but as far as I can tell, this is Noctis just using magic. It's not like you see him throw something -- but the mechanic of how you place the cursor on the ground to cast a spell feels a lot like tossing a grenade in Uncharted or Gears or something. But Noctis just casts your crafted spell with a flick of his wrist. So I think people have just got tied up in this analogy.

It's not like items are required for magic - you can craft a spell purely from magic energy that's 'drawn' from sources in the world in an FF8 style. Just, adding items in the mix as well adds extra status effects and stuff.

Voror

Didn't see the other thing you mention, but the 'grenades' thing is a bit of a misnomer, I think. PR and devs have used grenades as a touchstone for how it feels to use, but as far as I can tell, this is Noctis just using magic. It's not like you see him throw something -- but the mechanic of how you place the cursor on the ground to cast a spell feels a lot like tossing a grenade in Uncharted or Gears or something. But Noctis just casts your crafted spell with a flick of his wrist. So I think people have just got tied up in this analogy.

It's not like items are required for magic - you can craft a spell purely from magic energy that's 'drawn' from sources in the world in an FF8 style. Just, adding items in the mix as well adds extra status effects and stuff.

Ah, alright that could be it then. Thank you for the clarification.

.JayZii

Banned

It's a combination of their description and people seeing this scene at E3:
LazyFrequentCod.gif

Tyaren

Do the magic rocks, where you draw the magic from, replenish? I hope so. At least you are able to also earn magic from defeating certain enemies as one of the gameplay videos showed...

Interesting -- they've definitely said that "ring magic" is a different type of magic that works differently than the elemental magic. But that doesn't mean it includes a bunch of different skills or anything....

Ketaya

Interesting -- they've definitely said that "ring magic" is a different type of magic that works differently than the elemental magic. But that doesn't mean it includes a bunch of different skills or anything....

I expect it to give at least a few offensive abilities or stuff like protect as seen in Kingsglaive, otherwise it would be pointless for the ring to have it's own category in the weapon selection, wouldn't it?

I expect it to give at least a few offensive abilities or stuff like protect as seen in Kingsglaive, otherwise it would be pointless for the ring to have it's own category in the weapon selection, wouldn't it?

I think that sounds reasonable. I'm still hoping for it opening up some higher tier spells.

Although I suppose certain elemental mixes might do that too.

Basically, I just want to see things like Ultima and Meteor in this engine.

chefbags

https://youtu.be/KPzq6QFxv6w

So this was an interesting discussion of sorts regarding the delay with Kinda Funny.

Watched it and felt more in tune with what Tim said being in the middle of sorts of opinions which he discussed was one side was either "ffxv is going to be so bad" and the other side of "ffxv is going to be amazing".

Dark_castle

Are the weapon skills (Jump, Tempest, Sword Drain, Heavy Thrust) from Episode Duscae still in tact? How exactly do they work now? I'm a little bothered how it used to be one of the main mechanics in the game to now not even explained through the tutorial, like it never existed to begin with. All the previews from journalists proved that. Nobody knew about this mechanics. One GAF poster had no idea either, and said he probably did some cool things with the weapon, but had no idea how he did it.

What the hell.

So this was an interesting discussion of sorts regarding the delay with Kinda Funny.

Watched it and felt more in tune with what Tim said being in the middle of sorts of opinions which he discussed was one side was either "ffxv is going to be so bad" and the other side of "ffxv is going to be amazing".

Yeah FFXV is a very polarizing game. I can't really think of many games that had people so split before release like this game (besides NMS). I'm excited for it, the gameplay video was enough to show me I'll be having a lot of fun in this world. That being said I really want to see a story trailer especially after watching Kingsglaive. One of the main reasons it took so long for me to stop comparing this to the Versus XIII trailers was the fact we've gotten very little story-wise so I couldn't really get into XV's new direction. After watching Kingsglaive though I'm excited to see how it's gonna pan out.

sappyday

Yea the culmination to this thing is going to be huge whether it's good or bad.

If the game is somehow amazing, then it'll be one of the first in the history of video games. Will probably put FF back with the big boys and those who have waited 10 years can rest easily.

On the other hand, if it's shit (or even mediocre) I think it'll sink Square really bad. It'll be 10 years gone to waste. All this talk with nothing to show. No one would trust Square again, and it'll have to take KH3 and FFVIIR to be near perfect to get them back up, which are overseen by the man who started it all. And it'll probably be one of the biggest disappointments in many's lives (mines at least).

I hope Square made the right choice in giving the game to Tabata.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
On the other hand, if it's shit (or even mediocre) I think it'll sink Square really bad. It'll be 10 years gone to waste. All this talk with nothing to show. No one would trust Square again, and it'll have to take KH3 and FFVIIR to be near perfect to get them back up, which are overseen by the man who started it all. And it'll probably be one of the biggest disappointments in many's lives (mines at least).

I'm not looking forward to the next 5-10 years of GAF discussions if this game is bad.

This is going to be a bitter and aging fanbase, pining for something that hasn't been worth the hype in decades.

I don't see this game being bad though. I'd be shocked if it's a knock out of the park, but I think it will be a solid enough game.

Gbraga

I mean, I think FFXIII is a great game, so I'm probably good with this one.

Still a very high chance it'll disappoint me, but I find it hard that I'll think the game is bad, considering how much I enjoy the combat and the main characters.

Voror

Enjoyment of the game will be based on multiple factors for me. Mainly if the story is any good and whether the gameplay is fun all the way through the game. The latter will likely in part depend on the feeling of progress as you level up and get more skills. Another factor would be the side activities you can do like secret bosses.

Cynar

Yea the culmination to this thing is going to be huge whether it's good or bad.

If the game is somehow amazing, then it'll be one of the first in the history of video games. Will probably put FF back with the big boys and those who have waited 10 years can rest easily.

I hope Square made the right choice in giving the game to Tabata.
What? FF1-6 weren't Nomura

Inuhanyou

What is Nomura's current role on KH3? I'd been given the impression he wasn't so hands on at this point due to focusing on FF7R except to look things over.

Your right, but he still tells Tai Yasue the direction he wants things to go and what(and what not) to include when he shows up to take tabs on how the game is progressing.

I'd still consider Nomura the main head honcho of the project, even though Tai Yasue is the guy who is in the trenches directly coordinating the team day to day.

What this means though, is that Nomura is probably grooming Tai Yasue to eventually take over his role entirely on KH projects, and to become a director himself on his own original titles at some point down the line leading Osaka team.

sappyday

Your right, but he still tells Tai Yasue the direction he wants things to go and what(and what not) to include when he shows up to take tabs on how the game is progressing.

I'd still consider Nomura the main head honcho of the project, even though Tai Yasue is the guy who is in the trenches directly coordinating the team day to day.

What this means though, is that Nomura is probably grooming Tai Yasue to eventually take over his role entirely on KH projects, and to become a director himself on his own original titles at some point down the line leading Osaka team.
I would like to see Nomura do a new IP. Kind of weird after so much he's done for the company he still hasn't a directed a new full fledged mainline FF title.

Inuhanyou

I would like to see Nomura do a new IP. Kind of weird after so much he's done for the company he still hasn't a directed a new full fledged mainline FF title.

Well...he did in 15 for while as a reboot of Versus, but supposedly, he was taken off the project because what he wanted to do with it was too big in scope for what the higher ups wanted from the project apparently, in addition to working on FF7R and KH3 concurrently.

Who knows what he will do in the future after all this other stuff is done.

Koozek

He'll do FF Versus XVI as part of their next multi-game-saga with several spin-offs based on the same universe.

Inuhanyou

He'll do FF Versus XVI as part of their next multi-game-saga with several spin-offs based on the same universe.

And then introduce time travel randomly in the final installment, even though we previously had no indications that time travel was even possible on that level prior to that

Top Bottom