• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can you live with a data cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ihyll

Was with Verizon on a 5gb a month cap

switched to Tmobile

unlimited data....130 Mbps connection speeds at home and work....14gb tethering...

M3d10n

Those saying they don't get bothered because they barely use it: if you stop and think about it, it's more likely the other way around.

When you know you have a cap, your entire usage pattern changes when you aren't on unlimited wifi. So no watching YouTube, no streaming music, not clicking on gifs. Then of course you can stay under the cap, because it accomplished its objective: making you conscious about your data usage and wary of using it.

OraleeWey

GFXZdyUh.jpg

Unlimited data is the best thing ever.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
200mb on phone.

I just use Opera mini with extreme savings on plus pictures/video turned off.

It's rare there isn't a place with free wifi these days, so it works for those situations. I could probably turn the pictures back on since I don't even come close to cracking 100mb even.

I can manage to stay under my 3GB cap pretty easily but if it was uncapped I'd be watching video all the time, especially NHL games during hockey season............especially since I have a pretty good power bank now

jstripes

Banned
As everyone else is saying: I use Wi-Fi at home.

Streaming music and social networks never get me over my data cap outside the house.

Those saying they don't get bothered because they barely use it: if you stop and think about it, it's more likely the other way around.

When you know you have a cap, your entire usage pattern changes when you aren't on unlimited wifi. So no watching YouTube, no streaming music, not clicking on gifs. Then of course you can stay under the cap, because it accomplished its objective: making you conscious about your data usage and wary of using it.

Nah, it's because I don't often use bandwidth-intensive stuff when I'm out in public.

IvanJ

Banned
I intentionally chose to have a data cap on my phone, because it saves me a lot of money. I have 5GB, and pay 7€ for it. I could have perhaps went even lower, but for a Euro less I didn't want to bother.

That way I have plenty enough to use WhatsApp or to surf the web when I'm not at home or at work. And the time I'm not at either place is very rare.
I usually even have plenty of data unspent at the end of the month, so it rolls over to the next.

Dwayne

Don't have a choice, cellphone data is insanely expensive here. I'd never consider using Spotify on the go, for example.

Liberty4all

Banned
I use a lot of data on the go and I'm always pushing my 5 gig cap. My rule of thumb when outside of wifi - no streaming or big downloads.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
The 15gb Cap the OP talks about as restrictive would be an insanely huge amount of money in Aus.

Not using the phone much when I'm away from a wifi hotspot seems like it's antithesis to what a mobile phone should be.

I'm fifteen days into my cycle and I'm already at 10gb.

It's only been a problem on vacation for me, but honestly I think all data caps in all countries should be immediately abolished. Especially those on broadband connections.

With wifi at home and uni, I only use around 2 GB a month. But on vacation without wifi that is immediately increased by a ton (youtube, on demand movie streaming etc).

Granted I don't like useing my wifi at home, I spend about a gig a day just on the internet on my phone daily.

Unlimited is life.

Not using the phone much when I'm away from a wifi hotspot seems like it's antithesis to what a mobile phone should be.

I'm fifteen days into my cycle and I'm already at 10gb.

True, it is the antithesis, BUT you also have to consider battery usage skyrockets when trafficking data on 3G/4G-LTE networks, so that is another incentive to not use as much cellular data outside wifi areas (which use a lot less battery).

styl3s

GFXZdyUh.jpg

Unlimited data is the best thing ever.
Good lord do you just stream music 24/7 without going on wifi? I don't think i have broken a GB ever in the history of owning a phone but i also haven't been in situation where there wasn't wifi. Work has wifi, home has wifi, doctors office has wifi, retail stores have wifi, mall has wifi.

Hell i actually downgraded my 5GB cap to i believe 500mb 2 months ago because i rarely go over 150-200mb. I guess i just don't watch videos or listen to music on the go.

ChouGoku

Good lord do you just stream music 24/7 without going on wifi? I don't think i have broken a GB ever in the history of owning a phone but i also haven't been in situation where there wasn't wifi. Work has wifi, home has wifi, doctors office has wifi, retail stores have wifi, mall has wifi.

Hell i actually downgraded my 5GB cap to i believe 500mb 2 months ago because i rarely go over 150-200mb. I guess i just don't watch videos or listen to music on the go.
Screenshot_20160829_031711.png

I stream so much youtube

Dougald

I used to have unlimited data but switched to 2gb as I barely use it. Honestly, most places I go have wifi, and my most used Spotify playlists are synced. Most months I barely break a gig

Only way I could see needing unlimited again is if I spent a lot of time on the train or something

Rellik

I don't even remember when I last had a cap. It was that long ago. Everything is unlimited and no throttling for me now.

Unlimited data here.

Usually average about 30GB a month. I don't use WiFi and I don't use any other computer besides my phone.

kudoboi

That's because none of the providers offer unlimited data in Singapore. I'm paying 25ish USD for 6gb data per month.

... And I always over-exceed

venomenon

I have a 300 MB mobile data cap.
- use browsers' functions to reduce traffic
- no videos when not using a wi-fi, ever
- no downloads, updates etc. when not using a wi-fi, ever
- no streaming. For music, I use mp3s instead of Spotify.
- don't use your phone all the fucking time :)

It's not extremely difficult.
I seriously doubt I would start watching youtube on mobile all the time if I didn't have such a limited cap. For browsing while commuting (bit less than an hour a day) it's fine.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The most shocking thing in this thread is that apparently US kindergartens have a mandatory drive-thru for picking up your kids.

You guys live in willy fucking wonka land. I mean, fuck cycling or walking, right?

Herne

Not that I have a data plan but I usually only read GAF and Reddit on my phone. Some videos, yes, but on wifi only. If I had a data plan, I wouldn't be watching videos on it.

To be fair even if you do have an unlimited usage it's still subject to sprints 600kbps video limit and there ability to throttle your speed under the guise of "improving network performance" for other users a loophole in the FCC mandate against throttling.

That said I don't have a data cap and I never exceed 4gb monthly and I'd expect those who do are not ensuring they are connected to nearby wifi options are really going mad with the data usage.

Nightbird

I have a 300 MB mobile data cap.
- use browsers' functions to reduce traffic
- no videos when not using a wi-fi, ever
- no downloads, updates etc. when not using a wi-fi, ever
- no streaming. For music, I use mp3s instead of Spotify.
- don't use your phone all the fucking time :)

It's not extremely difficult.
I seriously doubt I would start watching youtube on mobile all the time if I didn't have such a limited cap. For browsing while commuting (bit less than an hour a day) it's fine.

Same, except I have a 750 MB High-speed Internet data cap.
I'm basically using it only for Pokémon Go, and it works perfectly. In fact, I haven't hit the cap yet, and I'm able to refill my cap on Wednesday.

gimmmick

I'm under verizon's 8 gig plan. I am able to stream live football games on Sundays without going over my limit.

I have pretty good cable connection / wifi at home. Though same can't be said about work. Mandalay Bay's wifi is pretty fucking shitty.

KAP151

I spend most of my time either at home or at work - both have unlimited data via wifi.
When im away from home that doesnt have a hotspot, i limit my usage. I think ive gone over my mobile phone cap maybe 5 times in a decade.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you avoid some basic things it's relatively easy to live with a low data cap.

- my podcast app downloads over wifi only which is fine as things can wait until I get home or am at the office
- I don't watch a lot of streaming video - helps that my train commute is in a patchy signal area. If I want to watch something I'll download it over wifi for offline viewing
- Offline playlists
- app updates etc wifi only

I recently switched from a 1GB to a 10GB plan and it is taking some getting used to. Although I burned 1GB when our office wifi went down and I used my phone as a hotspot.

My kids have 500MB plans to keep the costs down and those can be a little tricky - online apps and general usage outside can use that up fairly quickly even if you aren't consciously using 'data heavy' apps. My guess would be 1GB is enough to relax with mobile data on all the time but being careful of video etc. <500MB and you might be turning mobile data off manually now and then just in case.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Also free wifi is shit these days. Even when you're using known hotspots that you've registered with before, my iPhone will not use the wifi in apps etc, and it'll take a while before safari clicks over to the forced 'hello again Mrklaw - click this button to continue' which I hate. You're tracking my usage anyway so you know I'm in/near store X, so just bloody auto connect and let me use data

Makes me actually want to turn wifi off

neoemonk

Yeah man, you have to pull up to the curb and give them a printed paper they provided with the kids name and teacher and they go inside to retrieve the children and bring them to the cars...I guess it's just the way it is nowadays, when I was in school we just used to bust out the door and run to our car haha. I'd let her ride the bus but she's the kind of kid that can't find her way out of a wet paper bag, so I sit in my 90 degree hell day after day listening to Rush or whatever. I was hoping they'd have some dopey unlocked wifi there but no luck.

This whole "have to be in a car" thing is more upsetting to me than the data cap subject. I walked my kids to school for most of last year. I live in a borderline rural area though so I guess it's easier. The field we used to cut through starting getting turned into a subdivision at the end of the school year so now they get to ride the bus :p

The most shocking thing in this thread is that apparently US kindergartens have a mandatory drive-thru for picking up your kids.

You guys live in willy fucking wonka land. I mean, fuck cycling or walking, right?

I'm with you. I know the family of a girl in my son's class that only has one car, and the dad uses it for work. The mom stays home with the kids. We did some extracurricular activities and provided rides for the kids before, and they were super embarrassed to ask for the extra help. What a way to add a burden to people.

pottuvoi

Banned
Also free wifi is shit these days. Even when you're using known hotspots that you've registered with before, my iPhone will not use the wifi in apps etc, and it'll take a while before safari clicks over to the forced 'hello again Mrklaw - click this button to continue' which I hate. You're tracking my usage anyway so you know I'm in/near store X, so just bloody auto connect and let me use data

Makes me actually want to turn wifi off
Free wifi is also quite dangerous due increasing amount of places bypassing/reducing SSL certificates with man in middle attack.

VoxPop

I'm more impressed with people watching 30+GB of videos on their tiny phone screens.

They are also the very reason the caps are in place and ruin it for everyone else.

But yeah, more power to you if you have it.

MCN

Banned
I don't. Unlimited data at home, and unlimited data on my phone. Because I live in the 21st century.

It's easy. I managed 20+ years without having to be on the internet every moment of every day. I think I can manage, especially when I'm outside.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i have a 6gb soft cap. the first 6GB are "full speed" and after it that it gets throttled. i don't seem to ever use over 2GB but i like knowing that i have a bit extra capacity or that it won't completely cut out no matter how much i use. the reason i only use 1-2GB is probably because the "4G" speeds are ridiculous. apparently i have good coverage in my area but downloading a 40mb update takes about 10 minutes. same happens on every other phone i've had an unfortuantly it's the best service i can get.

New Zealander here, living with 500MB per month. That's right, 500MB.

I have the same amount. It doesn't bother me so much, I only really browse my phone Internet when I'm waiting for something/someone. The move into my new flat and waiting for my Internet to kick in however, was the longest week of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom