• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Assetto Corsa: PS4 vs Xbox One Gameplay Frame-Rate Test

It's a pretty rough showcase for the PS4 and Xbox One in this game, it seems that the CPUs are being pushed to their limit with more AI vehicles on the track.

Assetto Corsa: PS4 vs Xbox One Gameplay Frame-Rate Test

Too many cars? Assetto Corsa sells on a big focus on car handling and physics, but neither PS4 or Xbox One can lock down 60fps. Whether you're playing with 10 or 15 other vehicles, these consoles run at around 40-50fps range - with lots of tearing to boot.

ViciousDS

Banned
that fps graph and tearing. It's amazing too because it can't even handle 10 cars on the track at 60fps......wow

wtf6.gif

Aceofspades

Banned
How can they say that the game is CPU bound, then the moment they crank car # to max, PS4 starts to shows huge lead over Xbox?

Isn't Ps4 CPU clocked lower than Xbox? strange

Zeth

Shame, but I doubt console audience could stomach even less than 16 cars on track.

Wish they could've come up with better performance though, considering the "game" part of AC is practically non-existant - which I can't imagine does it favors with console audience. Though to be fair, game is made by about 12 guys with several hundred million dollars less than Forza/GT.

Aceofspades

Banned

DF analysis has been pure guesswork for sometime now..they should put more emphasis on "why" said game is performing better/worse on each console.

They are simply showing FPS counter..then we think its CPU or GPU bound...we recommend version X.

Nothing technical about it.

Karak

As per DF, even with one car on screen, screen tearing remains an issue. this looks to me as poor optimization more than anything.

It absolutely is there with 1. I have over 50 hours of footage just for my review its hilariously noticeable with just you driving.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Screen tearing is the flickering red lines, right? It's so distracting when I watch these DF videos. Has this always been a problem on consoles? I don't remember seeing those lines during the PS2/GCN/XBOX generation, and I only had a Wii last gen.

As I said in the OT, real shame. I really wanted this to end up well because the physics are amazing and there's a lack of 60fps racing games, but they fucked it up. I'll just play the PC version.

Dunkley

Screen tearing is the flickering red lines, right? It's so distracting when I watch these DF videos. Has this always been a problem on consoles? I don't remember seeing those lines during the PS2/GCN/XBOX generation, and I only had a Wii last gen.

The red lines are just a visual indicator on DF's end, and yes screen tearing has been a thing for a while.

Snake Eater was an ambitious game for its era, and this was reflected in its performance level. While Konami shot for 30 frames per second, it frequently went over budget - the days of MGS as a 60Hz series were over. We saw dips down to 20 and even 15 frames per second during the cut-scenes, while it appears that Konami utilised a soft v-sync during gameplay, with tearing creeping in when frame-rate dipped below 30FPS - a necessary tactic for ensuring smoother response and a staple in current gen development.

How can they say that the game is CPU bound, then the moment they crank car # to max, PS4 starts to shows huge lead over Xbox?

Isn't Ps4 CPU clocked lower than Xbox? strange
This could be totally wrong but I was under the impression the PS4 had more CPU cores available to games which explained why CPU bound games tend to run better on PS4 despite its lower clock?

Once again I can be totally wrong about this.

Top Bottom