Please note: Everything posted here is a rumor and mostly about the prototype.
TL;DR of the most important new details: NX may be region free. UE4 & Unity support NX. Layout of the system revealed (see images below).
Update: LPVG issued an update. The dimensions they posted may not be accurate anymore. This may also include the thickness of the device. LPVG originally reported 25mm for it. Emily Rogers says it's 14mm.
Update 1 September 2: Emily Rogers posted a wrap up of things we should expect in the retail NX version. Click here for link. Camera/Mic are not built inside of the NX portable. At least 2 shoulder buttons. Battery life doesn't sound great. NX launch in March, is ahead of schedule. More at the link. DISCLAIMER: It's a rumor until confirmed otherwise.
Update 2 September 2: WSJ reports NX uses cartridges. http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo...ges-1472811942 Click here for some quotes from the article if you can't read it.
Other recent info: NX prototype features a split d-pad. Has a Share button. 32 GB internal memory on prototype. Thread about this.
Excerpt (more at the link):
As others already said, it’s a hybrid console with detachable controllers that have a split D-Pad, A, B, X, Y, and a camera / share button. However, something I believe none of them have mentioned is the size of the current dev kit.
It’s slightly thicker than the Nintendo 3DS XL when folded, so 25 mm, with a width of around 281 mm and a height of 92 mm with the controllers attached. Separated, the controllers have the same depth and height, and they both have a width of 38 mm, making the console itself have a width of 205 mm.
I’ve made a picture detailing where the TV port, headphone port, SD Card port, power button and cartridge port can be found.
One final thing I thought I should discuss is how the controllers connect. They’re both held by the console via a hole in each side of the system where the controllers can connect to. It sort of looks like this.
To take it out, there’s a button on the back of each controller that lowers the center spike that keeps it in place, making it eject from the system.
Update on the TV connector: It seems to be able to connect to the dock AND to a TV.
We also have two separate sources claiming that the current NX development kits are region free, and that those developing software for it have not heard anything about region locking being added before launch.
Update on the dimensions of the device. Dimensions reported may not be accurate anymore:
Editor’s Note: Since running this report, we have learned that the original source was less reliable than they claimed to be. We are sharing this information because, while the specifics such as dimensions below may no longer be precise, our other sources have agreed with a lot of the information as being accurate when presented to them for corroboration. These sources have reliably assisted with multiple, correct leaks in the past. The problems with the original source (who has not been involved in any of our other NX leaks) were our fault for moving quickly on the story, and we wish to be transparent about that fact.
Emily Rogers posted similar things about NX just before: https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2...dware-details/
Excerpt (more at the link):
A mockup posted in it:
- In May, I said Nvidia was involved with the system. (Source)
- The screen is around 6 inches (6.2 to be specific)
- The portable screen has a 720p resolution.
- Multi-touch touchscreen (Haven’t heard anything about a stylus.)
- 32 GB of internal storage is on the NX dev kit. (They may increase storage to 64GB for the final retail unit, but I doubt it.)
- There is an SD Card port.
- Dock Station has at least 2 USB ports on prototype. Not sure about final product.
- NX will support Unreal Engine 4 and Unity engine
- NX is below Xbox One and PlayStation 4 in raw power.
- Dev kits are region free. I heard retail units might be region free too.
- Nintendo still plans to support the 3DS with software through 2018.
Update on the stick placement:
Update in Emily's article on the thickness of the device:
Update September 2: Emily Rogers posted a wrap up of things we should expect in the retail NX version. https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2...al-nx-product/
Update: I heard the prototype was around 14mm in thickness. Maybe a tiny bit more than that. Laura Kate Dale heard 25mm from her source. Which is different from what I’ve heard.
Update 2: Second source said thickness of NX prototype is closer to the bottom half of the New Nintendo 3DS XL.
I don’t expect many things to dramatically change from the prototype and the final product. Furthermore, I believe NX will hit its March launch without any delays because it is ahead of schedule.
Disclaimer: Everything in this blog post is rumor until proven otherwise.
Here is what you can expect from the final retail product:
- Custom Nvidia GPU chip
- Region Free (No region lock) <– Confirmed this.
- Six inch (6.2 inch?) multi-touch screen (Heard nothing about a stylus)
- The touchscreen has 720p resolution. <— 100% Confirmed.
- 32GB of built-in internal storage
- SD card support
- Supports USB 2.0 and 3.0
- The dock has two 2.0 usb ports and one 3.0 usb port.
- The device is around 14 – 15 mm in thickness.
- The right analogue stick will be below the face buttons.
- Camera and microphone are not built into the NX portable device.
- Cooling is still a little noisy
- Detachable controllers (motion controls and next-gen vibration technology) <– Everything Laura Kate Dale said in her article was correct.
- Share / Social button that Laura Kate Dale posted is true.
- There are at least two shoulder buttons. I haven’t heard anything yet about triggers.
- Battery Life — Ehhh not great. I haven’t heard an exact number of hours, but it doesn’t sound great.
- Below PS4 and XB1 in raw power.
- Supports Unreal Engine 4 and Unity Engine.