• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online Available To Download On Xbox One & PSN

Gowans

Just saw this pop up.

In Star Trek Online, customize your Captain and enjoy your very own Star Trek experience with over 125 episodes through multiple story arcs, featuring content in both space and ground. Explore strange new worlds, in this ever-expanding, completely Free-to-Play online universe.

Key Features:
Free-to-Play – Experience a triple-A MMO game for free. Play from level 1 to 60 free of charge!

Adventure in the Final Frontier - Explore strange new worlds and seek out new life and new civilizations in a vast, expanding universe.

You Are the Captain - Partake in epic space battles and lead away teams across unknown worlds, interacting with allies and battling enemies.

Choose Your Faction – Fight for the Federation, Romulan Republic, or Klingon Defense Force, each with vastly different ships and tactics.

Total Customization – Create and customize a Captain from any species in the galaxy, or even make your own! Even your ship can be customized, from color to construction.

Xbox: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/star-trek-online/c3lf9pcrp9rp

PSN: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/star-trek-online/cid=UP1980-CUSA05752_00-2016STARTREK0000

Kalentan

Huh. Didn't even know this was coming to consoles... I tried on PC way waaaay back. Wonder if this version is worth checking out.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
MMO GAF, if you had to choose between this and Neverwinter, which would you go for?

Flipyap

I'm really curious what the console interface looks like. I can't even imagine how they could have adapted that cluttered mess of windows and tiny buttons.

Simo

Oh Shit on PS4 for real?! Niiiice! Always wanted to try this but I don't have a gaming pc. Lol

Does or will the ps4 version get the Kelvin timeline stuff too?

Novocaine

Going to give this another crack. Did a free trial once on PC while it was still subscription but I was too heavily invested in WoW at the time.

aliengmr

How do games like this work? Just how far can you get without spending a dime?

Not that far.

It's as f2p as it gets. You can get by without spending a dime, but it's sort of meh.

Personally, STO turned me off of the F2P model. It's not a "bad" game or "bad" example of F2P, it's just really "F2P", with some pay to win elements in there as well.

nOoblet16

Is this actually a good game?

I am a massive Star Trek fan but if it's just a run of the mill MMO then I am not interested. And can this be played solo?

Flipyap

I am a massive Star Trek fan but if it's just a run of the mill MMO then I am not interested. And can this be played solo?
Yes, it's focused mainly on story missions (including ones made by players). It's a better Star Trek adventure game than it is an MMO.

It's very soloable. The stuff you need to have parties for are all endgame. And it's definitely more story/lore oriented game.

Nice I am definitely downloading this. I wonder if there is any Star Trek Voyager content in this game...

Is there a resolution difference between the Xbone and PS4 version?

adj_noun

I think I'd rather just see HD KOTOR or even KOTOR 2.

I'm still waiting for KOTOR 3.

It's happening you guys.

Any second now the great KOTOR 3 will rise from the KOTOR patch and bestow its blessings on those fans whose wait has been most sincere.

Played through most of this solo (I havnt finished some of the newer eps)
I love how much the game respects the lore from the past shows. If you watched them you'll start seeing lots of references and other stuff. They even base entire arcs on one-off episodes from TNG and Voyager.
Still dont care for the ground combat though. Maybe they can make improvements for the console version but I would sometimes encounter bugs and quests not working right during ground segments. Ship stuff is awesome though.

Briarios

Thanks for the heads up! Downloading to PS4 now ... hopefully I can talk some friends into playing. Maybe someone will create a GAF community for it.

Karak

My Review for ACG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmUGT9X7Kmo

Spent about 30 hours in it for the review.

Pros
Core game-play is spot on
Lighting engine change
Controller based combat works for the most part

Cons
Flick targeting isn't great especially on ground
Ground combat is still the ugly duckling in all ways
Some FPS drops but no where near Neverwinter

Verdict: Not a fan of a few things but love the change over to the Consoles

Now I want Secret World so bad I can taste it as well as SWTOR

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
For those who are wondering if this game is any good, the ground combat is ass but the space combat is really fun. You also get to do captain-type things like pick your bridge officers and give assignments to your crew.

Nice I am definitely downloading this. I wonder if there is any Star Trek Voyager content in this game...
There is a ton of content based on all of the Trek shows. Even Enterprise, which is a prequel, gets a ton of ships in the game.

I was a PC player for about 3 years, 2 of which was f2p. I'm definitely jumping back in. The story is wonderful and is really a must play for Star Trek fans at the very least.

The story basically follows up the movie where vulcan is destroyed but also has plots involving pretty much every other Star Trek show.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I keep trying to comeback to this mmo because the space combat is just SOOOO good, but then I remember just how bad the ground combat is.

I wish there was a way to play without the ground stuff at all.

ItsDorf

Banned
Oh come on GAF be honest for once and don't hype a dead pig. The game is boring as hell only plus is you get to fly spaceships. I think many will find it fun for 8 hrs than just be bored. Ground combat is atrocious

This is my opinion only

Oh come on GAF be honest for once and don't hype a dead pig. The game is boring as hell only plus is you get to fly spaceships. I think many will find it fun for 8 hrs than just be bored. Ground combat is atrocious

This is my opinion only

Calls all of GAF dishonest then says just his opinion. Ok.

Jrs3000

Best? Don't hype me up, only to be severely let down

Solid game for trekkies. I always liked the ship combat, it's no starfleet academy but it does hit the right spots on a lot of areas with combat. The downfall would be away missions and combat but still its serviceable. The story is great.

Top Bottom