• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

gaming sound cues of stupendous excellence.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm in the process of doing a replay of zelda: wind waker to prime myself for the release of twilight princess. i was playing with the sound turned down, listening to a podcast, when i happened to track down a heart piece; something i hadn't considered, though, is accruing heart pieces in zelda games is not nearly as fun if you don't have the classic "doo-doo, doo-doo" sound cue. which, of course, brings me to the thread:

what are some other gaming sound cues which you find excellent?
a list of some of my favorites (often in mario sunshine language for maximum fun):

- aforementioned zelda heart piece/item get
- super mario brothers 1-up mushroom get
- the classic electronic "plunk plunk" of resident evil's item screen
- mega man death explosion into white orbs
- metroid energy tank get

i wanted the thread title to sound like we were at the academy awards.
tell me your deepest thoughts, gaf.

threeball

Banned
I like the sounds of the old Mega Man games when you got a 1-up
A 1-up in Kirby's Dream Land sounded bad ass too
Level Up in Earthbound
When someone joins the party in Super Mario RPG
Metroid get an item

SantaC

When you die in the classic castlevania games. (dudududu-duuuuu)

I remember that my friend really hated that sound, and I bugged him about it when he died :D

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Offadatopomahhead-

The "huthuthuthuthuthut" from Tecmo Bowl.

The star noise when Little Mac gets a super uppercut in Punch-Out.

The pre-punch "urr-urrrrr-urrrrrr" before Little Mac unleashes said super uppercut in Punch Out.

"COMBOOOO!!!" from Killer Instinct.

/barrell bottom being scratched

Ashodin

smMmAAAAASH sound in EarthBound, so satisfying when you hear it come out.

the beginning music opening to Ghost n Goblins (do, dododo, dododoDO, do)

snaphiss of a lightsaber

any health pickup noise when you really needed it in an FPS

Dragon Quest: enemy attacks, battle victory flourish, obtained important item, Level up noise, etc I could go on and on. This game has so many familiar sounds.

keanerie

The sound of moving the selection brackets thingy around at the character select screen in Street Fighter 2.

the "boing" when you jump in Mario Kart 64.

load game music in Dragon Quest

"C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERRRRR!!!" from Killer Instinct.

and, more recently, the level up jingle in FFXII is absolutely awesome.

beelzebozo said:
the classic "doo-doo, doo-doo" sound cue

fart40825iy3.jpg

Anyway, surprised the FF victory anthem hasn't been mentioned.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
And at the other end of the scale-

Buh ba buh ba buh ba buh ba buh ba buh ba buh ba buh ba buhbabuhbabuhbabubabubabubab.....drown.

threeball

Banned
Maxrpg said:
smMmAAAAASH sound in EarthBound, so satisfying when you hear it come out.

YES. Let me tell you an Earthbound story with that.

It was Starman DX, I was getting raped. I entered the battle only having Ness and Jeff, and StarmanDX quickly took out Jeff with Starstorm. Basically, I was grinding out the battle keeping Ness alive with PSI Lifeup and attacking StarmanDX. About an hour into the battle(yes, an hour) I got hit with mortal damage and it didn't look like I was going to survive the hit as I was out of PP. It was do or die, no way in hell I wanted to go through that hellish Stonehenge base again. Thankfully, a blessing came down and I hit StarmanDX for a SMAAAAAAAASH for massive damage and beat him with 6 HP left on the meter. It was SMAAAAASH or die and I got it. Wow. Greatest battle ever.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
threeball said:
YES. Let me tell you an Earthbound story with that.

It was Starman DX, I was getting raped. I entered the battle only having Ness and Jeff, and StarmanDX quickly took out Jeff with Starstorm. Basically, I was grinding out the battle keeping Ness alive with PSI Lifeup and attacking StarmanDX. About an hour into the battle(yes, an hour) I got hit with mortal damage and it didn't look like I was going to survive the hit as I was out of PP. It was do or die, no way in hell I wanted to go through that hellish Stonehenge base again. Thankfully, a blessing came down and I hit StarmanDX for a SMAAAAAAAASH for massive damage and beat him with 6 HP left on the meter. It was SMAAAAASH or die and I got it. Wow. Greatest battle ever.

i know it's childish, but i laughed so hard when i read this

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
"PICK IT UP FOR RIPPLE LASER!!!"

"RED WARRIOR NEEDS FOOD, BADLY!"

"RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!"

"RED 5 STANDING BY!"

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
- hadouken
- Shoryuken
- ! - Getting caught by a guard in Metal Gear
- Dieing in Metal Gear
- CCCOMBO-BREAKER!!!
- Opening a chest/getting an item in LoZ

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
initiating a conversation with the dude with the binocular in Wind Waker. Actually it wasn't a binocular, since he only had one tube, but I don't know what that's called. :\

HO!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
darius gaiden has the best sound effects ever. when your ship explodes it does this weird "pyowwww" noise instead of an explosion. and boss explosions are this high-pitched phasetone thing. just to name a couple -- really most of the sound effects are cool and idiosyncratic. great music too. taito rox.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Konami NES/SNES "pause" sound effect, first thing I thought of
Ninja Gaiden death sound effect

Gav

Just about every sound in Zelda when you get something.

The sound effect for picking up Body Armour in Goldeneye makes me smile aswell, probably due to the excessive amount of times ive heard it :lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Brobzoid said:
initiating a conversation with the dude with the binocular in Wind Waker. Actually it wasn't a binocular, since he only had one tube, but I don't know what that's called. :\

HO!

telescopeqr9.gif

a telescope!

Stinkles said:
"PICK IT UP FOR RIPPLE LASER!!!"

"RED WARRIOR NEEDS FOOD, BADLY!"

"RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!"

"RED 5 STANDING BY!"

carlkh5.gif

classic. total classic.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
the sound when you bounce open a tv-box in Sonic the hedgehog 2 on genesis. bop!

beelzebozo said:
telescopeqr9.gif

a telescope!

HO!

does anybody have a sound-clip of that dude and his "ho!"?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'd like to have a whole cache of these sound-effects. salvatore's "spleeeesh" when you play the battleship game is also pretty memorable.

adg1034

Any noise the Gravity Gun makes. Also, the sounds of the Painkiller in... Painkiller. Mario & Luigi's faux-Italian in Superstar Saga (don't know if it's the same in Partners in Time; haven't played it yet)- funniest non-words ever.

EDIT: Sploooooooooosh. Kah-Buuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhm!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
adg1034 said:
Any noise the Gravity Gun makes. Also, the sounds of the Painkiller in... Painkiller. Mario & Luigi's faux-Italian in Superstar Saga (don't know if it's the same in Partners in Time; haven't played it yet)- funniest non-words ever.

EDIT: Sploooooooooosh. Kah-Buuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhm!

"ehhhh jojogibbarro!"

Top Bottom