• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: The Collection |OT| Once is not enough.

Persona7

Banned
Damn the physical copy is a nice package. The glistening, textured cardboard sleeve is really nice. Although it's a little funny that both Blu-rays are in two separate identical cases -- not that I'm complaining about having more of this box art.

Shouldn't be surprised by the quality though, the old PS3 Bioshock had a very similarly attractive cardboard sleeve.

360 version had one too. I wonder if the other bioshock games had one, can't remember.

Did they change anything from the original playing through currently just eager to see if theres anything thats been added/changed

Character skins etc

Stranya

They took long enough to make this collection, they could have bloody well got it right. If any series deserves loving treatment, it's this one.

Damn the physical copy is a nice package. The glistening, textured cardboard sleeve is really nice. Although it's a little funny that both Blu-rays are in two separate identical cases -- not that I'm complaining about having more of this box art.

Shouldn't be surprised by the quality though, the old PS3 Bioshock had a very similarly attractive cardboard sleeve.

Dammit. We didn't get that sleeve here in Asia. We got a sleeve, but without the shiny goodness.

I never understand these kinds of defensive posts. We are talking about a game that currently exists in its original form and that is being released with upgrades. When the bluray of a movie releases I'm not okay with missing special effects or scenes with altered or objectively worse lighting. I want the original movie, in higher definition and better sound with every effort made to preserve the original directors intentions

This is of course completely ignoring your comment about 15 seconds of water when the game is entirely set underwater and the water effects are in essentially every environment. It's not just that hallway - all water pools, all water falls, all splashes - every water element looks downgraded. And it's totally unacceptable when I thought I was buying the bioshock bluray.

Defending nothing other than why I bought the game. Guy said everyones already it and this release is some kind of archival project.

I am looking to replay the game on my PS4. Thats all. The things you are worrying about dont bother me, at all. The Wire is my favorite show and the BluRay that came out is a different aspect ratio than what the showrunner intended. I dont care. Just wanna watch the show on something other than those dusty old DVDs that came out. Bioshock on my PS4, good now I dont have to go digging in that CD book and turn on my jet engine 360.

You can fold your arms and demand answers for your missing bubbles. I can go play the game. What I find more interesting is seeing peoples opinion on the game who havent played it since release.

notBald

...Ok now I'm worried. Why the hell did they mess with the audio?

Those scratchy tapes where in SD, now they're HD!

This is looking to be a disappointing release. I'm guessing they spent their devtime getting those 60 FPS and called it a day.

TheYanger

Defending nothing other than why I bought the game. Guy said everyones already it and this release is some kind of archival project.

I am looking to replay the game on my PS4. Thats all. The things you are worrying about dont bother me, at all. The Wire is my favorite show and the BluRay that came out is a different aspect ratio than what the showrunner intended. I dont care. Just wanna watch the show on something other than those dusty old DVDs that came out. Bioshock on my PS4, good now I dont have to go digging in that CD book and turn on my jet engine 360.

You can fold your arms and demand answers for your missing bubbles. I can go play the game. What I find more interesting is seeing peoples opinion on the game who havent played it since release.

There's no point to a remake of game that isn't strictly superior. You can say it's not the biggest concern to you, but acting like people are wrong or dumb for thinking it's bullshit is just being bitter that peopel are shitting on something you paid for. who cares? It's not defensible, period, so why spend the breath trying to.

Maximo

There's no point to a remake of game that isn't strictly superior. You can say it's not the biggest concern to you, but acting like people are wrong or dumb for thinking it's bullshit is just being bitter that peopel are shitting on something you paid for. who cares? It's not defensible, period, so why spend the breath trying to.

Fully agreed I ain't touching this remake and will give no money to them.

Hostile_18

Banned
The IGN review didn't even make a single mention of any graphical downgrades... maybe it's not a big an issue as those are making it out to be.

That been said fan "outcry" is what makes changes happen (re: marvel alliance 1 dlc).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The IGN review didn't even make a single mention of any graphical downgrades... maybe it's not a big an issue as those are making it out to be.

Well, obviously it's going to be a matter of opinion that varies person to person. It will bother some people, a subset of others will be fine with the changes, and finally the remaining folks won't even realise that there is a difference between the remasters and the original games as they exist within their mind's eye.

No ones acting. I think its dumb.

I'll check back next week to see if anyones talking about the game. Interested to see impressions from people who havent played the first game since it came out.

black070

No ones acting. I think its dumb.

I'll check back next week to see if anyones talking about the game. Interested to see impressions from people who havent played the first game since it came out.

I'm with you - I understand being disappointed by the visual tradeoffs, but to call this a lazy port is laughable.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

It's a thread discussing a remastering effort of a long beloved and very high profile game of the last decade. To act callously towards those that are picking out defects in said remastering effort is about as glib as your insistence on how the discussion should be framed. Those playing for the first time will post as they please. This is already a proven franchise that has sustained for a decade and there is absolutely nothing wrong with discussion and disclosure regarding the quality of this effort to both fans and newcomers alike. Even if yes, that means putting "missing bubbles" under the microscope right alongside LttP impressions.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How many hours until the PC version unlocks?

t1473976800z4.png

Shredderi

Wait AGAIN a remaster with missing graphical effects? WHY DOES THAT KEEP HAPPENING? It should be either the very same as the original or superior but never EVER a step back. Some remaster... It shouldn't be a compromise for such old titles, it should be improvement only.

I could forgive bad AF and maybe a few missing effects, but changing the sound (or not paying attention to sound scripting) is such a huge part of what builds Bioshock's atmosphere, and that they would "clean" it (or randomize it, in the case of Splicers) is really, uh, not great.

Gotta wonder if it being blocked from streaming was a Ken Levine ego thing or a "oh god don't let anyone see this" move.

Well, obviously it's going to be a matter of opinion that varies person to person. It will bother some people, a subset of others will be fine with the changes, and finally the remaining folks won't even realise that there is a difference between the remasters and the original games as they exist in their mind's eye.

This here. As soon as I watched the video I noticed it. To me, the water effects in Bioshock were a HUGE component of the atmosphere that it's pretty disappointing for them to be implemented the way they are in the collection. If any element of the game needed to transition perfectly to the Collection, it was the water effects.

Sande

I haven't played enough to give a proper opinion on the port yet. But something that's definitely bugging me is how they handle aiming and turn acceleration. For some reason the sensitivity is really low even on max and suddenly ramps up when you tilt the stick all the way.

Assuming 2k is willing to fund a patch this all sounds like stuff that could be knocked out with a patch. Also, most of these comparisons appear to be talking about the first game. How is Bioshock 2?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Fuck. Is it really too much to ask for competent remasters? Especially when paying full price ffs.
I'd say these are the very definition of average to competent. Not good, not great, but moderately competent. They do run at 60fps the majority of the time and look roughly on par with the PC version at 1080p60.

...but that's really it. The AF is bad, frame-rate can be unstable in combat and there are various other issues. Loading is super quick, though, surprisingly.

Gator86

I'd say these are the very definition of average to competent. Not good, not great, but moderately competent. They do run at 60fps the majority of the time and look roughly on par with the PC version at 1080p60.

...but that's really it. The AF is bad, frame-rate can be unstable in combat and there are various other issues. Loading is super quick, though, surprisingly.

For me, you just described a 30 dollar flash store purchase. Blind Squirrel indeed.

psychotron

Damn shame. Bioshock deserves better.

To be fair how is it full price? You're getting 3 full games with all their DLC for the price of 1.

3 last gen games that can be had for next to nothing now. The DLC is great, but for $60 these games deserved better treatment.

x-Lundz-x

That said, the first game's expanded FOV and tweaked analog aiming feels like a godsend right off the bat. The acceleration on the right stick feels a bit too slow, even with the sensitivity cranked up some (and then it feels like it's too jerky), so they didn't manage to find just the right balance just yet, but I do feel like it is a lot better than the twitchy nature of the original as I recall. The FOV also doesn't disorient me any longer, it's not as wide as some of the games I play on PC but it's fine now. Framerate is mostly solid with a few tiny, non-gameplay-disrupting dips from time to time. Audio feels a bit dated in a lot of areas -- doesn't feel like the game properly distinguishes left and right channels sometimes and some of the effects now sound just a little hokey, but it's not awful.

This right here is driving me fucking crazy, I'm almost at a point where I'm going to stop and wait to see if it gets patched.

thatJohann

Is the AF better on Xbox One or PS4?

Top Bottom