• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: The Collection |OT| Once is not enough.

The original PC-versions are still the best versions, I wouldn't bother with the remasters, imo.

Unless you need controller support. I don't think there's controller support in the originals, but I could be wrong.

The originals have controller support. Heed this mans advice - I don't think these remasters are worth anyone's time if they have access to the original PC games and they certainly aren't worth the full current asking price. If you don't have access to PC versions - I suppose they're passable but I really think we need to stop rewarding publishers for disrespecting great games this way.

televator

There's no way you guys can't notice a hude difference in the tunnel section, at around 1:30

The water there and in the scene immediately after looks worse for sure.

So to recap so far:
-Water looks worse in all versions of the remaster
-They didn't bother to get Surround Sound working on PC
-Highlights are turned down
-Anisotropic Filtering is shut off on PS4

What can we trully call this? An unmaster? A demaster?

Stoze

People need to take off the rose tinted goggles, out of the old FPS/RPG hybrids, SS2 has held up the worst. I can still boot up Deus Ex and have great fun with it, same with Thief- but System Shock 2 pretty much has a better, more mature and refined experience and its Bioshock.

I played SS2 for the first time recently and it was fantastic, and blew my original playthrough (well, half of a playthrough) of Bioshock out of the water. I also enjoyed it more than the original Deus Ex and think it holds up just as well as it and Thief (if not better).

I've only gone through SS2 once so I honestly can't debate too much of the finer balance details, but I think you're forgetting about viability and enjoyability which are arguably more important for a single player RPG. Someone might not want to go standard and assault rifle because they don't want to make the game trivial for themselves, or they have more fun using other avenues of play and weapons, like they are role playing as a melee/psi character. They might have a harder time at the beginning of the game with that build, but I'm fairly certain the game is more than doable with it.

Also I seriously doubt you don't have enough points to do a psi hybrid build in SS2. You don't need every psi ability or even most of them to have a build where you're using psi stuff say half the time.

Rizzi

The original PC-versions are still the best versions, I wouldn't bother with the remasters, imo.

Unless you need controller support. I don't think there's controller support in the originals, but I could be wrong.

Oh really? That's a bummer.

People need to take off the rose tinted goggles, out of the old FPS/RPG hybrids, SS2 has held up the worst. I can still boot up Deus Ex and have great fun with it, same with Thief- but System Shock 2 pretty much has a better, more mature and refined experience and its Bioshock.

The rest of your argument is perfectly reasonable but "rose tinted glasses" is an insulting way of implying that other people's opinions and experiences are not valid.

AgeEighty

First game tried too hard to be cute with its story and the ending fell on its face
would you kindly, lol

And the second game just rehashed the same story with the opposite political point of view, inserted a major character into the history of the first game that we'd never heard of before, tried to make her a bigger deal than Ryan and failed. It was just about the laziest attempt at a sequel story anyone could have come up with.

Also, it wasn't 100% better gameplay-wise, either. It almost completely lacked the first game's setpiece scares, and the new type of Big Daddy was a laugher of a fight with Telekinesis.

ktroopa

The original BS and BS2 both feature full controller support now, i used my XBO controller fine with rumble working. Tbh after seeing the sound issues and fact they messed with the water and some wall textures have decided to play the originals. I will comeback and play the remasters on PC later when hopefully the issues are patched. I agree with the opinions here, this game series is one of gaming finest its a shame they didnt take more care with the polish needed. I want to experience Bioshock at its finest and that mean OG all the way right now.

And the second game just rehashed the same story with the opposite political point of view, inserted a major character into the history of the first game that we'd never heard of before, tried to make her a bigger deal than Ryan and failed. It was just about the laziest attempt at a sequel story anyone could have come up with.

Also, it wasn't 100% better gameplay-wise, either. It almost completely lacked the first game's setpiece scares, and the new type of Big Daddy was a laugher of a fight with Telekinesis.

Scares? You hold the better game back because it didn't have the cheap jump scares of the original? Good lord.

The level design is FAR FAR better and little sister/Adam defense/big sister attacks are all far more interesting and dynamic than any of the first games levels sans maybe fort frolic, but even that was just elevated because of the story of that particular level.

Obviously Lamb was retconned into the lore, but her story and dialogue are miles better than the literal fucking joker Fontaine becomes in the second half of that game. The story and tone with Eleanors plight are not a rehash at all of the original and it's side characters far more interesting and developed.

So you can't buy these separately? Only as a bundle?

I think I'm going to bite tomorrow, because I have a Walmart gift card from returning a copy of The Division I got as a gift.

I was thinking about just buying BioShock and maybe Infinite, but ah well. I liked BioShock 2.

gfxtwin

I booted up my PS3 version of Bioshock for a laugh. The remaster's textures are SO much better than the old version for the most part, even more than I thought they'd be.

That said, I don't think I've ever played a game that was in such dire need up a patch/update. I just got to Arcadia and here are the glitches I've encountered so far:

- stuttering dialouge

- Game crashed on me once

- The falling water by the exit door in the first room with the vita chamber in the welcome to rapture level doesn't make the "water pouring over your face" effect when walking through

- textures on the welcome to rapture stature didn't pop in until i was standing in the water ight next to it.

- Some splicers show no visible damage when you beat or shoot them

- Sometimes the "interact/pick up" button changes weapons

- I encountered a little sister after rescuing all the little sisters in Neptune's bounty

- Some little sisters don't have the adam extractor needle thing when extracting and drinking adam from corpses

- Most annoying, the "sonic boom" plasmid doesn't work most of the time and often enemies (splicers, not big daddies) are not affected by it at all!

- The enrage plasmid works sometimes. Sometimes it causes enemies to just stand still and do nothing.

- game crashed and my saves were erased.

- Game crashed again when I got to arcadia, thankfully saves intact.

- Some weird glitchy red squares appear when in vita chambers in neptune's bounty

- Sometimes I can't access the pause screen. When I press pause the pause screen flickers for a second and then nothing.

2K IS going to fix these at some point, right? From what I can tell the original version is much more stable (once you make a few simple tweaks). I never encountered all of these issues running the OG version on PC. The current version of the remaster feels unfinished.

ktroopa

From what I can tell the original version is much more stable (once you make a few simple tweaks). I never encountered all of these issues running the OG version on PC. The current version of the remaster feels unfinished.

What tweaks did you do for the OG version, as thats what im playing atm?

televator

I booted up my PS3 version of Bioshock for a laugh. The remaster's textures are SO much better than the old version for the most part, even more than I thought they'd be.

That said, I don't think I've ever played a game that was in such dire need up a patch/update. I just got to Arcadia and here are the glitches I've encountered so far:

- stuttering dialouge

- The falling water by the exit door in the first room with the vita chamber in the welcome to rapture level doesn't make the "water pouring over your face" effect when walking through

- textures on the welcome to rapture stature didn't pop in until i was standing in the water ight next to it.

- I encountered a little sister after rescuing all the little sisters in Neptune's bounty

- Some little sisters don't have the adam extractor needle thing when extracting and drinking adam from corpses

- Most annoying, the "sonic boom" plasmid doesn't work most of the time and often enemies (splicers, not big daddies) are not affected by it at all!

- The enrage plasmid works sometimes. Sometimes it causes enemies to just stand still and do nothing.

- Some weird glitchy red squares appear when in vita chambers in neptune's bounty

- Sometimes I can't access the pause screen. When I press pause the pause screen flickers for a second and then nothing.

2K IS going to fix these at some point, right? From what I can tell the original version is much more stable (once you make a few simple tweaks). I never encountered all of these issues running the OG version on PC. The current version of the remaster feels unfinished.

This is just starting to make me angry. All it sounds like is a quick spit shine that in turn broke a few more other things beneath the surface in hopes to turn a quick buck.

SkylineRKR

Beat BS1, and when the final cutscene played I paused and put it on Survivor. Got the trophy, lol.

Game is still good and the animations and models seem to look much better than that of Infinite.

Actually, Infinite is really pedestrian. Shield regen, lots of ammo, 2 weapon limit, fully linear... Infinite is a CoD but then bigger and with better writing. And vigors. When I played BS1 I realised how dumbed down Infinite actually is. In BS1 I laid mine traps, set wires and baited a Bouncer into them.

On to BS2, which I never played before.

SkylineRKR

Lol, imma have to try this

The trophies pop quite some time after you beat the boss. I forgot it but then remembered and did it during the
stabbing scene
and it was soon enough still.

I guess you can replay the boss on easy, and then switch to normal and hard as well. You don't get them all in one go.

Maximo

- stuttering dialouge

Considering the level of effort and respect they have put into these remakes im going to say its unlikely.

SkylineRKR

lol Bioshock 2 PS4 tells me it cannot save because there isn't enough space. I have 1tb of free space. But the game ignores it. Don't tell me 1 and 2 have a shared pool? I have about 10 BS1 saves.

lol Bioshock 2 PS4 tells me it cannot save because there isn't enough space. I have 1tb of free space. But the game ignores it. Don't tell me 1 and 2 have a shared pool? I have about 10 BS1 saves.

Yup, someone confirmed this earlier. Can't imagine how much data is packed into each save if a game like Fallout 4 (with all of its variables) can have ~100 saves before maxing out.

Catvoca

Banned
The directors commentary is amazing. So many great little nuggets of info from it. My favourite might be Atlus originally saying
"Excelsior!" instead of Would you Kindly, that would have been hilarious.

Edit:

The trophies pop quite some time after you beat the boss. I forgot it but then remembered and did it during the
stabbing scene
and it was soon enough still.

I guess you can replay the boss on easy, and then switch to normal and hard as well. You don't get them all in one go.

So this worked! You do get both the hard and survivor trophies if you switch to survivor at the very end. I wish I went through without using vita chambers now lol, I could have got the platinum.

TheMoon

Bio2 at least does its own thing and plays like some amazingly good bastard child of Clive Barker's Undying and Doom with some Bio1 sprinkled in.

you just made me want to dig out my old CDs of Undying that I never really played much beyond the first area and while I type this I'm remembering I own it on GOG also! :D

FTF

- stuttering dialouge

wow...my ps4 copy is still unopened as I haven't had to time to play it yet, but after reading this and many impressions throughout this thread I'll prob wait for a patch or two before starting :/

psychotron

I don't think we're getting any fixes....not enough to change opinions.

X6dbC8m.jpg

Oh really? That's a bummer.

Okay, I might get some hate for this, but honestly people saying "stick with the originals" is bullshit. Like about 80% bullshit.

The remasters have much, much better textures, better graphics all round, better character models, controller support, 4K support (hacking is fucked in the originals at 4K cause the controller icon is so tiny), and achievements. Also if you own the original, all this is FREE.
For real, if this was released as a free mod for the originals from some unknown mod team people would be fawning all over it. For the majority of people its a free upgrade too which is amazing imo.

I've already played 2, so I jumped straight into Minerva's Den and now its telling me that i I cannot save. Gonna have to keep the application suspended until I beat it I guess......

I've never played the first two BioShock games, thanks to this I finally get to play them. (My PS3 broke shortly after Infinite came out).

Just got to the big reveal and fuck me that was executed extremely well. I love the flash recaps of all the uses of "would you kindly" throughout, even if it's a super cheap way of regaining the momentum it lost by me being rather shit at the game in general. Fort Frolic was the highlight so far by a long shot, and I hear the co creator of that area directed 2, so I'm super hyped to play that. I'm finding it quite repetitive, but the gunplay is snappy as hell and generally fun so I don't mind too much, and the narrative and atmosphere is brilliant.

I've been told it shits the bed though, so... well hopefully that's just hyperbole.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Made it to Neptune's Bounty finally after starting over, the only issues I have right now are texture popping but that seems to be limited to weapons right after swapping. Other than that, I'm not having any problems. I haven't played the first game since I played it on the 360 and I am loving every minute, what an amazing game.

Yup, shared pool. Worst thing about it is that you can't delete the saves in game once all the slots are filled.

finally got around to trying these.

played Bioshock on PS4 yesterday. looks FANTASTIC. plays like a dream. we played some of Bioshock: Infinite as well but the first game is way more interesting imo. the level design, art direction, and especially the lighting all make the first Bioshock the best entry in the series.

later i played the remastered Bioshock on PC. looks and plays like a dream!

SilentRob

Are the voices in Bioshock 1 (playing on X1) very low for everyone else? Without subtitles I wouldn't understand 70% of the dialogue, let alone the audio diaries o0

Catvoca

Banned
I don't think we're getting any fixes....not enough to change opinions.

They probably wouldn't announce a patch until it's done tbf.

Okay, I might get some hate for this, but honestly people saying "stick with the originals" is bullshit. Like about 80% bullshit.

The remasters have much, much better textures, better graphics all round, better character models, controller support, 4K support (hacking is fucked in the originals at 4K cause the controller icon is so tiny), and achievements. Also if you own the original, all this is FREE.
For real, if this was released as a free mod for the originals from some unknown mod team people would be fawning all over it. For the majority of people its a free upgrade too which is amazing imo.

There's some minor issues but as someone who played the games on 360 and PS3 this collection is definitely a big step up over those versions. Edit: I'm on console though, idk if the PC versions are worse.

gfxtwin

I'm hoping 2K realizes that, y' know, this collection is one of their biggest games of the year and happens to be an attempt at updating three of the most important games in their catalogue and sees that through by patching it up on PC (I heard the console versions are much more stable, so there's that at least).

What tweaks did you do for the OG version, as thats what im playing atm?

The main issue I encountered was getting the audio to work on Windows 8 and 10. All you have to do is just find the game's exe file in the steamapps folder on the C drive. Right click > Properties and change compatibility settings to windows XP. That got the sound to work for me. Also I would sometimes get an issue where the game is stuck at lower reolutions and would crash if you bumped it up past like 720p. To fix that all I had to do was reset it by disabling compatibility to XP, turning it back to Windows 10, starting the game from my save point and playing for a minute with no sound, saving again, close the game, and then reverting back to XP compatibility settings. Now the game works like a charm for the most part. Has controller support and everything, and I just finished playing through the whole thing over the summer and there were very few glitches. The most annoying ones I found? When you press L1 and R1 to access weapons and plasmids wheels sometimes the graphics of the weapons and plasmids will be upside down or rotated left or right. That's about it though. Maybe it crashed once or twice, I can't remember TBH. Aside from that it ran as well as any PC game and had none of the bugs that affected gameplay that are in the remaster.

Catvoca

Banned
Are the voices in Bioshock 1 (playing on X1) very low for everyone else? Without subtitles I wouldn't understand 70% of the dialogue, let alone the audio diaries o0

On PS4 but yeah, I had the same issue. Playing with headphones was fine though. I ended up going into the audio options and turning down everything other than voice over until the mix was a bit better.

Gator86

Yup, shared pool. Worst thing about it is that you can't delete the saves in game once all the slots are filled.

How the fuck is that even possible? Why would the games share save slots? Why would they be limited? I keep reading about this collection and getting sadder.

LogicStep

Any way to fix the mouse acceleration issues? I have to put it to the lowest sensitivity to be able to play but then in menus and hacking the mouse behaves horribly. Also, any mods for this yet?

Top Bottom