• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

koam
(11-07-2006, 11:50 PM)
koam's Avatar
For example, let's say a female friend asks you "what did you do last night?" and you respond with "Oh, I went for dinner with Alex and Michael, then we went to catch a movie" but you omit that after that, you went for drinks with Chrissy. Is this considered lying to you?

(This situation did not happen, it's just an argument i'm having with someone).

I consider it a form of lying. While technically, what you said is true, you're purposely not mentioning a part of the story that has some weight on it and you're misleading them.
maynerd
Banned
(11-07-2006, 11:52 PM)
Only if the information that you are withholding affects the other person.
Escape Goat
(11-07-2006, 11:52 PM)
I think we call those "lies of omission"
Troidal
Member
(11-08-2006, 12:01 AM)
I would rather call it "on a need to know" basis.
Father_Mike
Member
(11-08-2006, 12:02 AM)

Originally Posted by Teh Hamburglar

I think we call those "lies of omission"

bingo.
John_B
Member
(11-08-2006, 12:03 AM)
It's a lie if your statement was made with deliberate intent to deceive.
koam
(11-08-2006, 12:05 AM)
koam's Avatar

Originally Posted by Troidal

I would rather call it "on a need to know" basis.

That's actually the argument my roommate is using. I'm calling bullocks on this one cause you know very well that you'll get in shit if you say the "omitted" part.

Edit: found this: http://www.choice101.com/19-lies.html#LiesOfOmission
castle007
Banned
(11-08-2006, 12:06 AM)
we all know that this thread is about withholding information about income and taxes
bjork
(11-08-2006, 12:09 AM)
bjork's Avatar
If you think it's not on the up-and-up, it's probably lying by your definition. It just might not be by someone else's, since we're all different. Can't expect people to adhere to your values, even if they make perfect sense to you. Some people need to lie in order to function.
levious
That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
(11-08-2006, 12:16 AM)
why is does a friend (not wife or girlfriend) need to have full disclosure of what you did throughout an entire evening?
Troidal
Member
(11-08-2006, 12:19 AM)
Well, for starters, who is this female friend? What is the problem if he went out with Chrissy if this female friend is not his girlfriend? Ok, so if he was interested in the friend and Chrissy, but hasn’t gotten anywhere at this point with either of the girls, sure, I’d say don’t tell her about it. There’s nothing wrong with “planting the seeds” and other people shouldn’t need or care to know about it.
Mason
Member
(11-08-2006, 12:25 AM)
Mason's Avatar
I would feel like it's lying so I wouldn't do it. I have the most hyperactive, pain-in-the-ass conscious known to man, though.
Furoba
Member
(11-08-2006, 12:27 AM)
Furoba's Avatar
It's considered a federal offence!
MIMIC
Why won't homeless people take my money????????
(11-08-2006, 12:28 AM)
MIMIC's Avatar
I'd consider that lying because by withholding the entire story, you intend to deceive by painting a different picture.
MrToughPants
Brian Burke punched my mom
(11-08-2006, 12:34 AM)
MrToughPants's Avatar
This is why i'll never get married. Everytime you do something without their knowledge (women) they start interrogating you like an episode of CSI.

"Where were you?"

"Who did you go out with?"

"Is that women's perfume I smell?"

"Is that a hernia in your pants or are you just glad to see me?"

"Why are you groping me?"

Maybe marriage isn't such a bad thing...
Phoenix
Member
(11-08-2006, 01:00 AM)
Phoenix's Avatar
If you omitted the information because you knew the response would be bad, then it is a lie of omission. If you just forgot or didn't think that it mattered, it isn't.
Phoenix
Member
(11-08-2006, 01:01 AM)
Phoenix's Avatar

Originally Posted by MrToughPants

This is why i'll never get married. Everytime you do something without their knowledge (women) they start interrogating you like an episode of CSI.

Then you're marrying the wrong person. My wife has never ever done anything along those lines.
marvelharvey
Member
(11-08-2006, 02:10 AM)
marvelharvey's Avatar
Marge : "Why do you have so many bowling balls?"
Homer : "Ah, I'm not gonna lie to you, Marge. So long..."

That Simpsons joke always cracks me up
SpeedingUptoStop
will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
(11-08-2006, 02:12 AM)
SpeedingUptoStop's Avatar

Originally Posted by koam

For example, let's say a female friend asks you "what did you do last night?" and you respond with "Oh, I went for dinner with Alex and Michael, then we went to catch a movie" but you omit that after that, you went for drinks with Chrissy. Is this considered lying to you?
.

This shouldn't be a question. If going for drinks with Chrissy is what you did last night, then that's what you answer the question with, unless you're interested in lying.
shuri
Banned
(11-08-2006, 02:18 AM)
shuri's Avatar
Koam. What have you done
koam
(11-08-2006, 02:27 AM)
koam's Avatar

Originally Posted by MIMIC

I'd consider that lying because by withholding the entire story, you intend to deceive by painting a different picture.

He knows too much! Burn him! (and no, that whole story was fictional, i was just using it as an example).
Timedog
good credit (by proxy)
(11-08-2006, 02:30 AM)
Timedog's Avatar
it's not untrue, so i don't think it's "lying".
makaveli
Banned
(11-08-2006, 02:30 AM)
we call that getting trahed and forgetting everything
SpeedingUptoStop
will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
(11-08-2006, 02:43 AM)
SpeedingUptoStop's Avatar

Originally Posted by briefcasemanx

it's not untrue, so i don't think it's "lying".

But it is. He was hypothetically asked what he did and he didn't say all of what he did. She's under the impression that he did nothing else and that's a false impression.
fatigues_gasolini
Member
(11-08-2006, 02:55 AM)
fatigues_gasolini's Avatar
just yada yada through it. You arent leaving it out, just translating what you want left out into incomprehensible words

Thread Tools