• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Productions Death Stranding is an open world action game, has online elements

The crafted, unique locations in MGS5 were the best locations in the game.

Go back to that Kojima.

It's still one of the best games of all time, but fuck every mission taking place in one of 6 buildings.

Crypt

I was fine with him coming out at E3. It was basically the big announcement of "Hey I'm back and I'm making a game. Peace out" And that's all it should have been for the next 2 or 3 years.

They have nothing done, but they're already starting the hype train. People are going to burn out before it gets released. And this is always the problem with Kojima. He always reveals the games way too early.

Hell, he revealed MGS4 by showing a trailer in the MGS3 engine that was basically just text announcing they were making another game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvXpsvJ9ti0

Then they revealed MGSV at PAX 2012, and then continued to put almost every cutscene from the game into the trailers for the next 3 years. Just go away for a while and stop trickle feeding "info" about the game.

Just remeber MGS5 and to some MGS4. The man is a legend but he also can screw a project up.

Except he didn't

Like, what fantasy world do you live in? Both MGS4 and MGSV were highly praised from both critics and regular consumers.

Seriously, MGSV was almost the best game ever made. The flaws it has knocked it down a couple pegs to only one of the greatest games ever made instead. It's only disappointing in that it didn't reach the next bar.

oSoLucky

So I see open world, but is the genre confirmed to be action? I had a feeling Del Toro would be involved again, and I wonder if they're throwing some survival horror into it.

From left to right: Guillermo Del Torro, Norman Reedus, Hideo Kojima and Kyle Cooper. Guillermo Del Torror is secretly involved in this game which will be certainly a masterpiece.

Also this game will support 4K and HDR.

More to come from Kojima and Shinkawa on Sunday at 1:50 PM (JST).

So I see open world, but is the genre confirmed to be action? I had a feeling Del Toro would be involved again, and I wonder if they're throwing some survival horror into it.

It is an action game, yes!

From left to right: Guillermo Del Torro, Norman Reedus, Hideo Kojima and Kyle Cooper. Guillermo Del Torror is secretly involved in this game which will be certainly a masterpiece.

Also this game will support 4K and HDR.

The man on the right is probably Mads Mikkelsen.

Phaezyk

I have loved every single thing that this man and his various development teams have made. I completely trust him and look forward to Death Stranding.

All praise Jesus H. Kojima, our Lord and Saviour of Video Games

The man on the right is probably Mads Mikkelsen.

Nah. He is Kyle Cooper since Kojima mentioned him in the conference and the character looks exactly like him, it is logical, unless Kojima confirms that the actor you mentioned will take a role in this game but I doubt he can afford so many famous actors in his current indie state (unlesss he is widely helped by Sony financially).

Nah. He is Kyle Cooper since Kojima mentioned him in the conference and the character looks exactly like him, it is logical, unless Kojima confirms that the actor you mentioned will take a role in this game but I doubt he can afford so many famous actors in his current indie state (unlesss he is widely helped by Sony financially).

You're welcome to think that, I guess. Kyle Cooper is involved with the game though.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
MGSV's "open world" was really bad and a great example of how not to do it, just like Ubisoft's "open worlds".

Quite disappointed to hear about it going to be another open world game.

A while ago someone on GAF posted this video and it's a great video on what many "open world" games nowadays get wrong and the games that got it right. "A Love Letter to GOTHIC's Open World Design".
Ubisoft is incredibly consistent with well designed open world games that get put to use much better than MGSV.

big fake

If this open world lends itself to the gameplay like Phantom Pain did then I'm all in, I don't understand why people don't understand the openworlds concept for the infiltration, it could've been more lively no doubt, it's that it served its unique purpose of infiltration and I can't really be disappointed in that.

Embearded

Kinda sounds to me like he wants to give a greater emphasis on story, cooperative and collaborative elements to drive the gameplay loop, but maybe not in a traditional way.

What I mean is, maybe he wants to try and force the players to work for one another instead for themselves, so whatever the moment to moment gameplay loop is (kill enemies, gather resources, crafting, exploration, solving puzzles, finishing quests/missions), the results and benefits are shared or even completely given to other players. Leveling up or getting items, gear etc. would then be dependent on what other people do, so it's not you that finds/unlocks/buys a gun or helmet but you are given these items depending on how productive you were (so you don't have direct control), how beneficial you were to everyone else (communist gameplay?! :) ).

Maybe even a little twist on rouge-lite elements, other players inherit your progression unlocks/experience/gear after you die, or maybe even body swap etc.

The players are all connected by gameplay threads, umbilical cords that tie one another, share and inherit the experiences towards a common goal.

Xliskin

I was fine with him coming out at E3. It was basically the big announcement of "Hey I'm back and I'm making a game. Peace out" And that's all it should have been for the next 2 or 3 years.

They have nothing done, but they're already starting the hype train. People are going to burn out before it gets released. And this is always the problem with Kojima. He always reveals the games way too early.

Hell, he revealed MGS4 by showing a trailer in the MGS3 engine that was basically just text announcing they were making another game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvXpsvJ9ti0

Then they revealed MGSV at PAX 2012, and then continued to put almost every cutscene from the game into the trailers for the next 3 years. Just go away for a while and stop trickle feeding "info" about the game.

Agreed I want some footage next year though.. I think sony want make use of his name

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Ubisoft is making open world games for the last 10 years and they still haven't reached the quality of GTA or TES. They are very good looking thats a fact, but to me they seem empty.

MGSV is the very first open world game of Kojima and it was made clear that the open space is there only to provide options for infiltration.
That article literally just went over how they make good use of the space they put in their games, this one explains how they connect the themes of narrative with the gameplay design. (plus how many open world cities even begin to reach the population density of AC games?). Not to mention they've created games with better gameplay than GTA and TES, which both control like molasses compared to WD and FC. They're jack of all trade type games. You can provide open space for infiltration without having a shit ton of uninteresting negative space. Especially when that conflicts with the narrative, such as MGSV's constant harping on the conflict with the rebels, there isn't a single rebel npc that isn't tied up, let alone a group of rebels that dynamically get into conflict with the opposing faction. Nw don't get me wrong, they don't 100% always nail narrative theming and perfect use of space, but when they do, they nail it. The best instance of level design in MGSV is GZ. Kojima shines with tightly controlled spaces and instances of emergent gameplay, but hasn't shown that he's proficient in open world game design and good use of space.

big fake

Ubisoft is making open world games for the last 10 years and they still haven't reached the quality of GTA or TES. They are very good looking thats a fact, but to me they seem empty.

MGSV is the very first open world game of Kojima and it was made clear that the open space is there only to provide options for infiltration.

exactly right.

Embearded

That article literally just went over how they make good use of the space they put in their games, this one explains how they connect the themes of narrative with the gameplay design. (plus how many open world cities even begin to reach the population density of AC games?). Not to mention they've created games with better gameplay than GTA and TES, which both control like molasses compared to WD and FC. They're jack of all trade type games. You can provide open space for infiltration without having a shit ton of uninteresting negative space. Especially when that conflicts with the narrative, such as MGSV's constant harping on the conflict with the rebels, there isn't a single rebel npc that isn't tied up, let alone a group of rebels that dynamically get into conflict with the opposing faction. Nw don't get me wrong, they don't 100% always nail narrative theming and perfect use of space, but when they do, they nail it. The best instance of level design in MGSV is GZ. Kojima shines with tightly controlled spaces and instances of emergent gameplay, but hasn't shown that he's proficient in open world game design and good use of space.

I can happily accept that FC has really nice controls but Watch Dogs having better controls than GTAV is something i simply cannot accept.
Most of Ubisofts games have interesting space but still it feels empty to me because there is nothing special i can do. It's the same thing again and again for the most part of the games and that's pretty tiring and boring.

I am 100% with you about the rebels but only when on free roam. Tanks, units and rebels patroling between the camps and bases mixed with other ideas i've read this whole time would make it so much more interesting and better.

Many people say that GZ is the best map and i agree at some level, but the lack of serious equipment in the beginning of the mission is boosting the good design of the map and people seem to forget that. If you try the GZ mission with mods that make your rifle a silenced tranquilizer you'll see that it's easier and uninteresting.

I would like to see another open world game by Kojima without him having trouble with his publisher. At least he gets the feedback from the players and he might have learned from his mistakes with MGSV.

IGN is reporting that the game is co-op. I'm sure the stream translation wasn't perfect, but I only recall the translator making note of "online capabilities," not mentioning anything as specific as cooperative play. The last co-op game Kojima made is my favorite game of all time ...so that would be huge, if true.

DMONKUMA

If true then that's a interesting concept, though there somethings I question. For the aspect of open-world....it seems SOTC-seque in terms of how the game works and how the world would work with fighting this "angelic" beings. Second, if this rumor is somewhat true...then Kojima shouldn't have mention online capabilities as this game wouldn't actually have anything like that but more of a community problem solving.

Idk just my two cents. :p

MCmNgPB.jpg

From the various Kojima subreddits.

If true then that's a interesting concept, though there somethings I question. For the aspect of open-world....it seems SOTC-seque in terms of how the game works and how the world would work with fighting this "angelic" beings. Second, if this rumor is somewhat true...then Kojima shouldn't have mention online capabilities as this game wouldn't actually have anything like that but more of a community problem solving.

Idk just my two cents. :p

It's hard to say what the online will be like. I can see it being like Peace Walker's traditional co-op, The Division's more drop-in/drop-out multiplayer, or even something as community-driven as MGSV's FOB nuke disarmament. It's so early, and there are many possibilities, but this is one thing I hope is expanded upon a bit at TGS!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
And off the list it goes. I learned my lesson from MGS5.

I mean, obviously, I'll keep an eye on it, but there are few descriptions of a game that could kill my interest as swiftly as this did.

MoonFrog

That gives a blow to my hopes. Was hoping smaller team would lead to Kojima making a smaller, tightly designed game with a tight narrative and setting.

Kojima should stop hunting that big, best western-style game ideal he's been after these days. Guess it's an outgrowth of his Hollywood obsession?!

Top Bottom