• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS1 changed the gaming landscape forever. What game(s) won you over?

Murdamonk

I remember I went to my cousin's house and seeing MGS for the first time...

I was shocked... The voice acting, the presentation, psycho Mantis reading your moves.. I went straight to the store to get myself a psx too.

N.Domixis

Banned
Crash Bandicoot alone made me the PlayStation Fan I am today. Especially ND. But only after Jak. That franchise was a disappointment.
Also because of this I never looked back. I will get every PlayStation as long as ND exists.

zoodoo

The first games i played on it were Road Rash and Rayman. I thought they were ok, coming from snes.

But the first Resident Evil was the game that wow me. I did not have a memory card until a few weeks later, so i tried to finish it one shot but failed. Since then i completed it around 5 times. RE 2 was even better.

Then came Tekken 3. Still one of my favourite console and and play psx games till this day.

614C4SF4EPL.jpg

First game i got on the system at launch.

Change my tastes in music, and made me pursue graphic design years later.

I was in my final year of design school when it came out. I figured I'd eventually get a Saturn since I was a die-hard Genesis guy, but I interviewed at one of the hotter local design agencies and they had a PlayStation hooked up to a projector in their break room.

The guy fired it up and showed me WipEout. I was floored. Graphic design, music and video games all together in one brilliant experience. I got a PlayStation instead and that was the main driver.

T-0800

Resident Evil. I had no interest in a PS1 but after playing RE I knew I had to have one. I had no idea going in what sort of game it was. Blew me away.

televator

Silent_Hill_video_game_cover.png
256px-GranTurismo2.jpg

GT2 and Silent Hill for me. Although I never came to appreciate such games until my late teens. I was strictly an N64 kid until then.

The first Motor Toon Grand Prix, a launch title in Japan (not the sequel that came to the US). At the time, the colors and distortion effects on the car models impressed me far more than the stunning RR and totally sold me on the system's potential. The standout western launch titles (Wipeout, Twisted Metal) did the rest.

TwiztidElf

I was so sick of 16-bit 2d platformers that I paid an absolute bomb to get one in 1994.
So many good games though.

First up Ridge Racer, Toshinden and later Tekken.
The games that stick in my mind though were Wipeout, Resident Evil 2, FFVII, MGS and Gran Turismo1. I recently played GT1, and it holds up REALLY WELL.

I had an n64, but I did like the games that were coming on on ps1.

Twisted Metal
Battle Arena Toshinden
Tekken
Resident Evil

those games stood out like crazy to me because they were so different to what I had on n64 at the time. I still loved my n64 to death, but the game that really got my interest was FFVII. Those cutscenes and back drops looked insane to my young mind.

What really sealed the deal was MGS. I borrowed my friend's ps1 and played it in 99 and it was so damn good. There was no game on n64 with that atmosphere at all. It was mind blowing to me.

It was like n64 had really fun games, but psx had all the "cool" games.

So many games back then!!

Metal gear solid
Destruction derby
Resident evil 1,2,3
Parappa the rapper
Crash bandicoot
Tony hawk
Tekken 3
Grand turismo
Tomb raider 2
Wipeout
Rugrats

Plus so many more!

Brocken

Banned
The real reasons because i bought a Playstation was because i can't play Resident Evil 2 and Tomb Raider 2 on my Saturn :(

Then i'm falling in love with his outstanding catalogue of masterpiece and now is my favourite system ever

SoTN.

I had played plenty of ps1 games at my best friend's house, but this is the one that I absolutely had to own. And I wasn't even a castlevania fan at the time.

That followed with Crash 3, FF8, and a slew of other games. by the end of that gen, I must have had about 30 ps1 titles. Sold a lot of them, kept all my RPG's.

ScOULaris

1997 4th grade you would have loved Goldeneye multiplayer!
I think I may have misremembered the year. That memory probably actually occurred in the fall of 1996, but I didn't think it was important enough to edit the OP. I definitely played tons of Goldeneye when that came out as well, don't you worry.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
The original Warhawk and Wipeout were awesome launch titles in NZ and not forgetting Destruction Derby, even though the game was pretty linear, having physical damage was a real step up from my 3DO.

Sony didn't win me over, Sega LOST me over.

But man, did Tekken 2, Suikoden, Twisted Metal, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Wild Arms 1, and Final Fantasy Tactics seal that loss though. Hoo boy.

Malreyn

The decision to buy a ps1 was driven solely by the need to play FF7 after having anticipated a sequel to 6, seeing the 64DD tech demo and the subsequent betrayal by Squaresoft to go over to Sony.

Spyro the Dragon. Was my very first PS1 game. Never owned a console before and my mom got us a PS1 for Christmas. It's amazing to think how far we've come.

MooMilk2929

Jet Moto is one. I saw the demo on a demo disc and wanted it right away. Got it and it was as fun as the video made it look.

Coming off years of the 16-bit sprite era..

Crash 1 felt like playing a cartoon. I was floored.

FF7 felt like a CG movie. For its time, it was the definition of an industry gamechanger, and a major push to my teenage self to pursue computer graphics professionally.

Jumping Flash! felt like a proof of concept for virtual reality. I played that demo incessantly.

Symphony of the Night, despite being a 2D "throwback", ended up becoming my favorite platformer, and consumed me like nothing else has since Bloodborne.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I made arguably a bad call, and expected Sega to clobber Sony. Jumped on Saturn at the early launch, only to watch PlayStation explode past it, with all of the major releases in tow.

So it wasn't just one game. It was every game, because the system had insane support that couldn't be ignored. What finally drove me to push Saturn aside (it was pretty much dead anyways) was Soul Blade and Rage Racer.

Nessus

Silent Hill and Resident Evil 2 convinced me. Never actually owned a PSX but as soon as I got a PS2 I bought both.

The first 3D game I ever played was a Tekken 2 demo that came with the PS1. It was pretty cool but it still wasn't anything like the revelatory experience I had months later with RE2.

I was coming straight from the SNES era, and I just couldn't believe gaming could actually be like that. Looking back on it now I had played Zelda and other really dense games, but something about RE2 felt so grounded, real, and really adult for my 8-9 year old self. I remember picking up the documents and reading records left behind, and really imagining them being real people struggling in their last moments. Everything about the game had this really morbid and creepy feeling. Just the concept of documenting your progress on the typewriter, pretty much like those others who left behind their notes for you to find, was so compelling and cohesive in the universe that it made the whole thing transcend the nature of being a game.

I think it was a year later that I played MGS1, and that just shattered any previous notion that I had on entertainment in general. I knew in that moment that gaming was going to be part of my life forever.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Street luge in ESPN Extreme Games and Ridge Racer were what made me want a PlayStation after playing them at a friend's place. We played them one weekend when he rented a PSX and had a blast. Tomb Raider was probably my favorite of those early games.

mokeyjoe

I had an N64 (and PC), but would regularly play on my friend's PSX. The two games that really stood out for me were Resident Evil 2 (my first RE) and Gran Turismo.

I would eventually pick up a Playstation myself and I think the game I played most was GT2. I really played that game to death and thought it was fantastic. It would be a long time until a better driving game would be released.

I played Tekken in an arcade in Germany before launch. That was a big help.

Also, pre-launch screens and descriptions of Toshinden, Destruction Derby, Warhawk, and Wipeout had me hyped. So I jumped in on launch day, 9/9/1995, back in the US.

I had played the console via store demos a few times, but the first time the PS1 really wowed me was with Final Fantasy VII. My brother's friend brought it over to our house to show it off. He was at the endgame and mostly showed us the Gold Saucer stuff. I was blown away by how many different things there were to do. Then he went outside and used Knights of the Round. Needless to say, I had never seen anything so incredible in my 8 long years on this earth.

Some time later we got our own PlayStation and obviously FF7 was one of the games I had to have for it. As my avatar can attest, it left a bit of an impression on me.

BONUS STORY: There's another incredible game that didn't win me over right off the bat. One of the demos on the disc that came with our console was a very early version of Metal Gear Solid; it didn't even have the English voice-over yet. The demo was also incredibly short. It contained only the first two screens of the game, ending when Snake enters the facility through whichever route. I thought it was kinda neat, but when presented with such a tiny slice I was given the impression that it was a serious, grounded military drama and I had less than zero interest in such a tale.

Years later (circa 2000 or so) my parents divorced, and when my mom started dating my future stepdad he gave me a bunch of his old PS1 games. One of them was that neat but boring military game with the unmistakably spartan cover art. After trying all the rest, and with no greater impetus than, "Eh, might as well," I decided I would give Metal Gear Solid a shot. I don't have to tell any of you how dramatically Kojima shattered every single expectation I had of his "boring" little game. He changed my very perception of what a video game could be and gained a devoted fan for life.

Logash

I remember Metal Gear Solid was the first game that really blew me away but the Final Fantasy games are what I remember most about the PS1. Also, personally think that Castlevania Symphony of the Night and Final Fantasy tactics were the 2 best games on the platform.

ramuh

Command and conquer red alert retaliation. And xenogears. Those were the two I got. I didn't get a ps1 until the dualshock controller came out.

But what turned me on was going over to a friends house and watching him play resident evil 1. Oh boy.

Bluenoser

My God.... so many. PS1 was the greatest console of all time (IMO).

- Final Fantasy VII
- Resident Evil
- Wild Arms
- Legacy of Kain
- Castlevania Symphony of the Night
- Final Fantasy Tactics
- Parasite Eve
- Gran Turismo
- Metal Gear Solid

I could really list games all day so I'll stop there.

Top Bottom