• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker for 3DS will not support 3D

Retrobox

So how disgusted are you guys that this will sell moderately well in the west and unironically sell gangbusters in Japan?

Alpha_eX

Manusingwiiuontrain.jpg

I saw a guy using an N64 in a coffee shop in 2014, he brought a CRT TV with him. I took a picture,

Ilu47hcl.jpg

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So how disgusted are you guys that this will sell moderately well in the west and unironically sell gangbusters in Japan?

Is there a alternative Mario Maker version on portables ? Not everyone has a WIiU and as long as they patch in online sharing with an update the 3DS version will easily be worth the price.

So future of 3ds - is a cashgrab stripped ports of wiiu games, ok.

WiiU version had 3D ? And expecting the 3DS to be able to 1:1 absorb every feature from a much more powerful system isnt unrealistic at all.

Newsflash - Mario Maker 3DS also wont be in HD.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I really don't get the point of this release... at all...

Akai__

Don't care about the 3D stuff, although options are always nice for others, but I won't get over the no online thing... So stupid...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I really don't get the point of this release... at all...

10m WiiU sold vs. 50m 3DS sold

The game will sell and make Nintendo money - thats the point. If you own both system you wont choose the 3DS version over the WiiU one, but thats not the target audience anyway.
WiiU has online at least.

I honestly think they will add online down the line, just couldnt get it done in time for the December release, which is why they are pushing local sharing for now.

But i agree - if they dont add online sharing later it will be disappointing.

Retrobox

Is there a alternative Mario Maker version on portables ? Not everyone has a WIiU and as long as they patch in online sharing with an update the 3DS version will easily be worth the price.

WiiU version had 3D ? And expecting the 3DS to be able to 1:1 absorb every feature from a much more powerful system isnt unrealistic at all.

Newsflash - Mario Maker 3DS also wont be in HD.

Haha I'm actually halfway taking the piss. I made that post because it seems to me some GAFers are personally offended by the way this game is handled. It's just funny to me.

If Nintendo wants to release a low maintenance port that they know will be worth their time - then hey so be it. Not sure if I'm all that thrilled about the game myself but hey if I was part of the company I'd probably be making similar decisions.

I really don't get it. It is not that necessary, but... if it is a matter of power, 3d should at least be available in New 3DS, similar to Hyrule Warriors?

Still, not really as bad as the lack of online capabilities.

mario_O

Love auto-stereo 3D, one of the coolest techs we've seen this gen. i don't get why some people hate it so much, it's one of the things that makes the 3DS unique in the market.

This game not having 3D and no online makes it a pointless port, Nintendo are clearly just filling the gap for this Christmas with a rushed, gimped, port.

georly

On 8-4 play they noted that the japanese direct where this was announced also had a focus on 2DS (since it's coming out there now). This game (and its limited online features) is clearly being made with that younger than 10 year old kid demographic in mind.

This mario maker isn't for the adult/teen who wants to share his stages online - this is for the kid who wants to just make dumb levels and maybe share with his friends or siblings. It's ok for a game to not be for you sometimes.

If you want a portable mario maker, wait for the nx maybe.

Skulldead

Total fail here... but they are still going to sell a couple of hundred tousand... let's continue to support pointless project.

dan2026

I just don't get the no online thing.

So you make your own levels and share them with....yourself?

You can't get other people's levels and they can't get yours?

Was that not the key feature, the whole point of the original game?

Podge293

Will owners of the wii U version be getting this for free???

Cuz if not this is an awful deal. No online, no perks of 3ds(behind mobility). Can't share courses you make (I could be wrong?)

dan2026

The ammount of people who will buy it not knowing they can't properly share their levels is going to cause a huge shitstorm.

There needs to be a warning on the front of the box.

Simbabbad

Well, a bit... parallax scrolling can look great in 3D, even if it gives a kind of paper mario effect. And it doesn't cost much to implement.
Given the levels you can make in the game, implementing 3D is a lot more complicated than you seem to think.

This is a level editor, people can make tons of weird stuff with it. Making it so 3D stays consistent and doesn't screw you by putting something on top of something else while they're not at the correct 3D layer, all this in four different art styles... yeah, it was completely obvious from the start this couldn't have 3D, anybody pretending they're outraged has no idea of what Super Mario Maker is.

Nope. It's a headache inducing mess, especially if you're trying to read text.
I always have 3D on from day one, at the max level (except for a handful of games like NSMB2 where I put the effect 50%), and I never had a single issue whatsoever.

3D also helps a lot in some games like Monster Hunter to evaluate better if you're going to touch an enemy or not. It's obviously near mandatory in SM3DL.

Shiggy

Given the levels you can make in the game, implementing 3D is a lot more complicated than you seem to think.

This is a level editor, people can make tons of weird stuff with it. Making it so 3D stays consistent and doesn't screw you by putting something on top of something else while they're not at the correct 3D layer, all this in four different art styles... yeah, it was completely obvious from the start this couldn't have 3D, anybody pretending they're outraged has no idea of what Super Mario Maker is.

There are more layers than the foreground and background layers in Super Mario Maker? I think users can only edit the foreground layer which includes all gameplay elements. It really wouldn't have been hard to implement a 3D pop-up effect for all foreground effects if it wasn't for the hardware limitations.

The question is whether simply putting the layers at different depths looks good or not. Pretty sure Nintendo decided a long time ago that wasn't good enough for them when they were working on the Nintendo 3d classics range.

Nibel

Who cares; the lack of online functionality is way more tragic

They gotta fix that shit cuz otherwise... why

Shiggy

The question is whether simply putting the layers at different depths looks good or not. Pretty sure Nintendo decided a long time ago that wasn't good enough for them when they were working on the Nintendo 3d classics range.

Isn't that kind of what NSMB2 does? Don't remember them doing anything else there with the 3D effect.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
yep. Definate cash grab while the big teams are working on nx games.

That Nintendo math never works. "There's only like 5 people working on this game, so the other million are working on awesome launch NX titles". The truth is there's always a large portion of developers that work on technology and prototypes that never make the market. So if the Wii U or 3DS launches weren't proof enough for you, it's always a crapshoot as too how many retail games come out of the developers at any given moment.

Seeing the various classic mario themes with 3d oomph would've been quite neat, another mark against this increasingly confusing port.

super_mario_maker_for_nintendo_3ds_box_art.jpg

Goomba is clearly in the centre on the box-art. Majestically displayed towards the audience. This is Goombas time to shine, don't take this away from it.

You can make Goomba the main character with mystery mushrooms!
...wait, those aren't in the 3DS version either.

Menitta

Seeing the various classic mario themes with 3d oomph would've been quite neat, another mark against this increasingly confusing port.

You can make Goomba the main character with mystery mushrooms!
...wait, those aren't in the 3DS version either.

The mystery mushrooms aren't there either!? Wow. If you own the Wii U version, there is virtually no point to getting this version.

oti

Banned
The mystery mushrooms aren't there either!? Wow. If you own the Wii U version, there is virtually no point to getting this version.

Point is being mobile but the lack of amiibo mushrooms is another bummer. Why does the N3DS even have NFC at all?

Top Bottom