• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter says "PC Gamers are like Racists"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Michael Pachter from Wedbush Securities came out with some interesting views on people who play games on PC, comparing them to racists.

“I think PC Gamers are like racists; they only like there own kind and they have no interest in venturing out and mixing with other races. PC gamers are arrogant twits who are convinced what they do is better than what anybody else can possibly do,”

"PC gamers are arrogant twits who are convinced what they do is better than what anybody else can possibly do," continued Pachter with his explanation of why PC gamers wouldn't be tempted by Sony's new PS4 Pro.

"However if you were an Xbox owner and you’ve always wondered what it's like to be a PlayStation owner, this is a great opportunity.

I'm going to leave most of the discussion to the topic, but I think this is a case of taking a loud minority too seriously. I primarily for maybe 90% of my gaming these days play on PC, but I do own a PS4, Xbox One, and WiiU, and I do buy and play these consoles and am interested in the PS4 Pro and think the pricepoint is good for the exclusives. This is just me as a horror enthusiast talking, but I simply go where the horror games are, which in this day and age, is primarily PC. There's some more personal thoughts I have on the state of PC vs Console gaming, but in the end I think the end result everyone wants is simply good games that are convenient and enjoyable.

But let's hear what GAF thinks.

All credit to posting this from the best source of gaming news, lashman

UPDATE:

Pachter chimes in on this later in this topic:

I've never used the word "twit" in my life.

I absolutely used the term racist, but only upon being questioned repeatedly about what I meant when I called PC gamers insular.

The reporting here was irresponsible. I've done 6000 interviews over the last 15 years (we're required to log them), and somehow, have been able to hide my bigoted side until today . . . I'm not sure what the "reporter" was trying to do, other than stir the pot. Yes, I said that the PS4 Pro probably wouldn't appeal to PC gamers, The rest is just silly.

CronoShot

b31c4ced285e73f40c884d009c5a7da6-650-80.png

Kidding, obviously.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
You have to be an arrogant twit to not want a new iteration of a console?

This is some GameFAQs level fanboy drivel.

I don't get myself involved into PC vs Consoles arguments, but I wouldn't call PC Gamers racists. Not by a long shot

I just prefer PC gaming because it gives me the option to tailor my gaming experience to my own liking and I get to buy games at a cheaper price.

SilentRob

Well, I mean, one of the most shared and well known memes of PC gaming is PC gamers describing themselves as the Master Race, that kind of stupidity has to backfire at some point, right? :p

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Well they DO use the "pc master race" slogan...

To be frankly honest I think more people perceive PC gamers as using the slogan than actual people who play PC games do. I see it mostly either used as a joke or people thinking this is how PC gamers view themselves.

PC Gaming 'culture' is a bit more divided in that due to the many different sources that sort of pool into it and different hobbyist hobbies related to gaming.

sheamus

Mean I like PC gaming but PC gamers do come off as jerks sometimes. But that's true for the hard-core of any platform

'Vita games are like an oppressed minority. No matter how many of them there are, they rarely get equal representation in the media and in retail.'

This is dumb let's not do it

Ultimadrago

"There own kind" or "Their own kind"?

Also, while some PC enthusiasts can take it overboard with the condescension, I don't find race an accurate comparison at all.

Are there assholes who play PC games? Yes.

But...

There are just as many assholes who would scream to the sky about the superiority of PlayStation and Xbox.

This is some very weird vitriol coming from Pachter. Also, using that kind of charged language seems really inappropriate.

Temporal Mess

Neo Member
Can we please, as a species, stop comparing inconsequential assholishness in hobby communities to freaking racism?

Although don't get me started on the "master race" meme.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's disingenuous at best to paint a specific userbase with such a brush. Every platform has its irrational zealots.

So ignorant of him. He believes repercussions of racism, which at points have led to massacre of millions of people, is a joke ?

I don't care what he calls PC gamers, but to downplay
racism to a trivial matter...

I personally don't like the 'master race' moniker. Can't I just have fun playing games!? I'm not offended by it; but some people take it a bit far I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom